Rory and Logan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

735 replies to this topic

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2007 @ 4:22 PM

I found Logan just another Tristan, at least when first introduced. I felt the Logan character ran its course by the end of season 5. Season 6, if they really did explore Rory rebelling, then maybe then. Instead, nothing really progressed. Rory continued to be the angel who did no wrong and Logan was just meh. I felt after awhile, Amy was trying to make Rory and Logan the Nick/Nora-like characters from that show was developing (but did not get picked up). If you listen to the commentary, when Amy is actually present and talks, she mentions how the Life and Death Brigade (and Logan) were to be intriguing and show the audience what amazing things can be done with money. Maybe it was poor writing, but they just came off obnoxious (with or without money).

hamaheaven

hamaheaven

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

Harvestbasket its a definate case of ymmv. I found the Life and Death brigade to be funny. Yes, they could be obnoxious but to me they were just like the townies. They were designed to be annoying in a funny sort of way. Maybe because I have known people like finn and colin(minus the cash of course). I found logan to have depth. If one chooses to see him as a carbon-copy of tristan they can. But, I don't think he was written that way. I think at times he overwhelmed outscoped rory to point that rory came off as sort of boring.

ETA: for those who actually enjoy rl...

a little treatTen More Minutes

Edited by hamaheaven, Aug 12, 2007 @ 7:41 PM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 12:34 PM

Overall, I think Logan is my favorite Rory boyfriend (I've only seen up to part way through Season 6, so if she gets a newer, better boyfriend later on or Logan starts being a total jerk, I reserve the right to change my mind.) However, I find the whole "Ace" thing to be annoying. When they were "pre-dating" or whatever, it was fine. But now, I'm just over it.

Marlies

Marlies

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

I was upset at how they broke up because there was no lead up to it. So, in my mind they get back together.

I just had to post in this thread. I loved Rory and Logan together and I was upset at how it ended. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and I absolutely hate the idea that Rory couldn't have a career and a man. I know the writers thought they were being very pro-feminist with this statement but it just seemed so very dated.

If they weren't gonna have them end up together then I would've preferred they shown some cracks early on but instead we watched the most healthy and mature relationship on the show being thrown away. I'm assuming they wanted the whole focus to be on Luke and Lorelei (blech, don't even get me started on those two, I never did see the appeal. Christopher might have been an ass but at least the actors had chemistry)

I also get the feeling the writers were afraid to actually wanting to take sides and choose who was actually endgame for Rory.

Anywho, in my mind they end up together.

I actually liked Tristan and thought that he was a better match than Dean so I don't necessarily dislike the comparisons to Logan even though the only thing that really unites them is their hair color and check book (although I'm assuming that Logan had a bigger check book than Tristan)

I never did get the big hoopla over Jess but that is just me.

The reasons I enjoyed Rory and Logan so much was the fact that he challenged her and didn't treat her like some perfect princess that can do no wrong. He didn't love and adore her because she was perfect, he loved and adored her because she wasn't perfect.
God, it must have been so nice for Rory to actually have someone who didn't think she hung the moon but still thought she was the best thing ever.

I think that Matt Czuchry deserves the majority of credit for making the coupling work. I usually say that chemistry goes both ways but in this case I really think that he was crucial in making the coupling work. AB never worked well with any of her leading men (including her real life boyfriend) but MC seemed to be able to drag out that little extra out of her, especially in the later seasons where she actually seemed to enjoy kissing Logan as opposed to wanting pull back like she did with everyone else.

Love the name sophies btw, I didn't know that is what we were called.

Edited by Marlies, Oct 24, 2009 @ 7:41 PM.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2010 @ 4:47 PM

So while rewatching S5 and S7 more or less simultaneously (don't ask; blame ABC Family and Soapnet!), one of the major mysteries that keeps popping up for me is WHY I don't love or at least like the Logan-Rory relationship at any point in the series.

I've seen it frequently assumed that people who dislike Logan (for Rory and/or in general) feel that way in large part because of his wealthy, exceptionally privileged upbringing. In my case, however, I tend to have a GIANT soft spot and fondness for the 'poor little rich boys' and 'reformed playboys who fall for the down-to-earth, vaguely geeky, serious girl.'

In other words, this is *exactly* the sort of character and romantic relationship I'd generally have gushed over and rooted for! Somehow, though, Rory-Logan was by my LEAST favorite of all of Rory's relationships---and, given how much I always hated boring, sulky Dean (yes, even back in S1 when he was fondly called CuteDean by most), that's saying quite a lot!

Initially, Logan was just insufferable IMO---to the point where I lost respect for Rory for even considering dating a guy that amazingly obnoxious, spoiled, arrogant and smug. I know people rationalize his S5 behavior, (it was mostly Colin who was so demeaning and malicious to Marty; Logan was actually being friendly despite sounding so amazingly condescending; etc). For me, though, that just doesn't fit with what I actually see on screen. And, wow, that perma-smirk worn by the actor definitely did not help.

I actually would have loved Logan's role on the show if he'd been there in S5 to show Rory that, after spending much of the series flirting with her grandparents' high society lifestyle, after hanging out with Logan and his amazingly obnoxious, vapid, party-crazed friends, Rory realized she DIDN'T fit in with those type of people---and nor did she want to.

What a great catalyst for interesting growth on Rory's part Logan could have been! Instead, because she's Rory, she fit in effortlessly...mostly by becoming exactly the dull, chameleon-like, socially conscious cipher she used to mock.

Now, maybe the writing for Rory would have taken a huge dive anyway---after all, her sleeping with Dean at the end of S4 was hardly auspicious for the development of her character. But, somehow, her relationship with Logan always brought out the sides of her I least liked and related to---she became the generic, girly-girl 'pretty, social, my-main-passion-is-a-boy' Rory rather than proudly intellectual, quietly self-confident, 'my passions are ideas and books and politics and music...' Rory.

As the series progressed, it's hard for even a Logan-hater like me to claim the character didn't become a little more tolerable. He was less of a self-centered wild child; he made fewer snotty, condescending comments that even Emily freakin' Gilmore might deem classist; he was just plain nicer.

But, see, even New and Improved Logan bugged me! My reasons:

1) For one thing, without his edge, Logan was suddenly just as dull and generic a boyfriend as Dean had been IMO. By S7, their relationship is so unbelievably dull IMO: they have a series of silly, easily-resolved-within-one-episode conflicts, none of which really reveal any sort of consistent insight about their relationship. They're both so, so generic and boring as individuals, and hence unsurprisingly have a nice enough but scarily bland, totally uninteresting relationship IMO. (To be fair, even Near Perfect Logan of later S6 and S7 is played by an actor with that perma-smirk, which gives the character a perenially smug vibe that drives me all sorts of crazy).

2) I hate, loathe and despise the whole message here: Rory has a brief flirtation and one night stand with a guy who, at that point, is an ever-so-popular, obscenely rich playboy. This would have been the perfect opportunity to have the still somewhat naive and trusting Rory learn a valuable life lesson about how not every guy you care about will like you back; that women CAN'T 'tame' or 'change' men---people have to change themselves; that one night stands sometimes have tough emotional consequences... etc.

But, alas...it's Rory! Everyone who crosses her path has to develop deep feelings for her, even if it means radically reforming their lifestyle to make themselves 'worthy.' And even when Logan SEEMED to be blowing her off, it was only because...*sigh*...he couldn't deal with how much he liked her and was worried he wouldn't measure up!

So, yes, Logan was sufficiently 'tamed', as Paris even points out in S7, and Rory's one night stand with a hard partying playboy turned into a serious long-term relationship with a suddenly generic, boringly devoted 'man of her dreams.'

In summary:

1)Had the writers used Logan and his rich yet nauseatingly vapid and obnoxious friends as that look into what her life might be like if she chosen to inhabit her grandparents' high society world, I would have really loved his role on the show. She could have concluded that the world she'd flirted with since "Kill Me Now" maybe wasn't one she truly wanted to be a part of, and that she and Logan were too different in terms of goals and lifestyle regardless of whether she liked him. It happens, you know: that people don't work out because they have different lifestyles and values and, despite affection for each other, are just not compatible. That doesn't happen to RORY, of course, but it happens to the rest of us!

2)Alternatively, Rory's one night stand might have turned out as so many one night stands do: with confusion, self-doubt and mixed feelings. With Rory discovering---for the first time in a lifetime of worship and devotion---that not everyone she wanted 'more' from will feel the same way. That, much as you might try and want to, you can't fundamentally change or 'tame' a person---college kids who are hard-partying playboys don't always just magically transform into worshipful, dully perfect monogomous boyfriends. And Rory might have realized that despite pressure---often from herself---to be more of a wild and fun extrovert, certain things (like one night stands and partying with Life and Death Brigade types), just weren't for her...and that that was okay!

They didn't break up for any of these reasons, of course...when they eventually did split, it was purely because the series was ending, and one Gilmore Girl (perferably the younger), kind of had to be single, and so they have Logan act like he has one year to live and must suddenly get engaged to Rory NOW (again, everyone just loves Rory too darn much to control themselves!!!) *SIGH*

There's so very, very much I love about this show. I wanted so much to add 'Rory-Logan' to that list, but instead their relationship just served to highlight why I no longer loved and related to Rory who, through most of S1-S4, was among my favorite fictional characters of all time.

Edited by couldhavebee, Feb 15, 2010 @ 9:25 PM.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

And Rory might have realized that despite pressure---often from herself---to be more of a wild and fun extrovert, certain things (like one night stands and partying with Life and Death Brigade types), just weren't for her...and that that was okay!

Something that drives me nuts is when Rory and Logan are going out (I believe it's in The Ungraduate), on their way to her secret "She's a Jolly Good Felon" party, and she's saying how shocked she is that they're JUST going to dinner. She says how even when he had a crazy fever, they still went bar-hopping until he passed out.

This is so RIDICULOUS. Rory HATES this kind of shit. Remember the deal with Grant at the end of S4? She was miserable sitting in a bar with him and his idiot friends as they embarked on a pub crawl. WHY, one season later, is she in love with this kind of dope and perfectly happy to go party all night with him? Ugh, I hate it.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

Something that drives me nuts is when Rory and Logan are going out (I believe it's in The Ungraduate), on their way to her secret "She's a Jolly Good Felon" party, and she's saying how shocked she is that they're JUST going to dinner. She says how even when he had a crazy fever, they still went bar-hopping until he passed out.

This is so RIDICULOUS. Rory HATES this kind of shit. Remember the deal with Grant at the end of S4? She was miserable sitting in a bar with him and his idiot friends as they embarked on a pub crawl. WHY, one season later, is she in love with this kind of dope and perfectly happy to go party all night with him? Ugh, I hate it.

Exactly. And, rewatching Will You be My Lorelai Gilmore? today, Rory gets all annoyed when Logan stumbles home drunk and obnoxious at 3 in the morning and then announces the next day that he's jetting off to Las Vegas with the insufferable Colin and Finn to 'blow off steam' over his losing his company a zillion dollars or something.

Logan bugged the ever living crap out of me in this episode, but, the thing is, why is Rory suddenly now justified in getting annoyed about this?! She very knowingly started dating a guy who loves to party and drink and has disgusting friends, and for quite a while she more than went along with that. But then, once she decided she was back to being perfect 'good girl' Rory, Logan was supposed to have been sufficiently tamed by her not to want to do all that stuff anymore. I know I'm not explaining myself well, but I just ended up not having an ounce of sympathy for either of them in this or, for that matter, most of their other poorly written 'conflicts.'

And, the thing is, I totally understand the theory that Dean was the guy who Rory connected to emotionally but not intellectually/physically (though I never even felt much emotional connection there with DullDean!); that Jess was the guy with whom Rory connected so well intellectually and had a great physical attraction to but who couldn't meet her emotional needs due to being a bit of a damaged jerk; and that Logan, nearly always referred to as her most 'mature' relationship, is the guy with whom Rory could connect with intellectually AND physically AND emotionally.

I truly understand that theory, and I agree it's probably what the writers were going for, but to me it wasn't executed. I almost never felt a true connection between them on any level, though obviously this stuff is subjective: to me, either Rory was more of a bland, unassertive, socially-conscious 'generic female' through much of their relationship, OR, when we saw traces of Original Recipe Rory towards the end of S7, we got the weird dynamic of a more responsible, serious Rory dealing with a deeply immature, hard-partying, vaguely lazy, makes-up-for-his-crap-with-'grand'-expensive-gestures Logan. (I was happy when she called him on this in Gilmore Girls Only, though naturally, like all their other 'conflicts', this was immediately resolved and they were happily back together by the end of the episode.) I just, for lack of a better way of putting it, don't especially like the Rory that her dynamic with Logan brought out; I found her interactions with Lorelai, Paris, Jess (though that was Old Rory!) and sometimes even her grandparents far sharper and more interesting.

I know Logan's smart (in that 'naturally bright and clever but can't bother to ever actually try' sort of spoiled way), but outside of that one S5 conversation about books, I never saw them connect on a remotely intellectual level at all, and I found most of his 'banter' smarmy and lame. And physical chemistry is the most subjective of all, but I just didn't see sparks between them in that area either. (To be fair, this may well be due to AB so often looking awkward when she had to hug or kiss ANYONE on the show, though I did think she sparked with Jess!)

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

I know Logan's smart (in that 'naturally bright and clever but can't bother to ever actually try' sort of spoiled way), but outside of that one S5 conversation about books, I never saw them connect on a remotely intellectual level at all, and I found most of his 'banter' smarmy and lame. And physical chemistry is the most subjective of all, but I just didn't see sparks between them in that area either. (To be fair, this may well be due to AB so often looking awkward when she had to hug or kiss ANYONE on the show, though I did think she sparked with Jess!)

Oh, I completely agree with this. I know, Logan is supposed to be such a good fit for Rory, but personally, I never felt it.

I also never felt "committed" to their relationship. Remember in AVV when Luke keeps saying he hoped they didn't break up over the weekend? That's how I felt. Between "keeping it casual," then they were really dating (cuz Rory's soooo special), then the fight in the bar in S6, then Honor told Rory they broke up, then Logan tried to win her back, then they were together again, then the bridesmaid fiasco, more fighting, blah, blah, blah. I think it was really stupid of them to live together--especially since Rory moved in/out like 3 different times.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

I'm kinda getting sad that these two will break up soon. They're totally adorable all throughout Hay Bale Maze, especially in the scab-nose scene, walking down the sidewalk, holding hands. Sigh.

Part of me will always wonder if, were she a real person, Rory would actually turn down Logan's proposal. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that Rory is a lot more independent than I think I've given her credit for. That realization makes me happier than it should.

gorks527

gorks527

Fanatic

• Interests:General dorkitude: reading, television, movies, writing. Pretty sad, really.

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

I agree that Rory and Logan were pretty damn cute in season seven (I just watched "I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia", and the scene where they're gathering Richard's things is adorable), but I also think it makes sense that Rory turned down his proposal. For seven years, with the exception of her "dry spell" in season four, Rory had always been in a relationship; even if she thought Logan was "the one", twenty-two is still pretty young to get married. I don't doubt that the two of them, were this real life, could have reconnected several years down the line...but I always imagined Rory would eventually wind up with Jess, or with a new guy entirely. I don't think she and Logan were exactly soulmates (and that whole reforming-the-bad-boy angle of their romance always kind of bothered me), and I was ultimately relieved that she turned down his proposal.

Edited by gorks527, Apr 18, 2011 @ 11:41 AM.

Montgomery14

Montgomery14

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

Kosmonaut, I think part of the reason I had such difficulty accepting the Rory and Logan's sudden break-up was because of Hay Bale Maze, which I loved (although I was suspending major disbelief that it was Logan's first time in Stars Hollow). They're so cute in it, and I love Logan sleeping on the floor, the David Hasselhoff jokes and the tentative understanding between Lorelai and Logan. And Logan told Rory he would "factor her in"! How did that then lead to accepting a job offer across the country without mentioning it to her, a surprise proposal in front of a crowd of people he didn't know, and an abrupt goodbye on her graduation? I understand that the moment when they walk into the maze and have different instincts on which way to go apparently symbolized the different places they were in, but really, show? Why break them up in the penultimate episode when they could have ended their relationship because of long-distance relationship troubles, the article thing, Logan's difficulties after his business deal fell through, etc?

I'm not sure it's been mentioned on these boards, but if there was a season 8, Matt Czuchry was signed to appear for at least some episodes:

Question: What is Alexis Bledel up to these days? Maria
Ausiello: Beats me, but had Gilmore Girls been back this season, she would've been (wait for it) spending time with ex-leading man Matt Czuchry! No lie. Czuchry recently confirmed to me that despite Rory and Logan's series-ending split, he quietly inked a new deal with the show last spring that if Gilmore was renewed for an abbreviated, 13-episode eighth season would've called for Logan to return. "Contractually, there was an agreement that I would come back for a certain amount of episodes," reveals the upcoming Friday Night Lights guest star, who insists TPTB didn't clue him in on why Logan would've returned. "I don't know [what would've happened], because those episodes were never written. There were a lot of hypotheticals about what those 13 episodes would be." At the very least, the return engagement probably would've given Rory-Logan a better send-off than the forced breakup we got. Looking back, even Czuchry concedes the duo's split felt rushed. "I felt like that particular episode, where he asks her to marry him and then they break up and it's done, just felt like too much at once considering that this relationship was something that had evolved over three seasons." That said, he acknowledges that Gilmore producers were in a tough spot creatively because "when they shot the episode, it wasn't known whether it was a season finale or a series finale. I think that if everybody would've known that it was a series finale, things would have went different"

I've taken this to mean that my belief that Rory and Logan will get back together has some merit, apart from being the hope of a Rory/Logan 'shipper.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 8:50 AM

"I felt like that particular episode, where he asks her to marry him and then they break up and it's done, just felt like too much at once considering that this relationship was something that had evolved over three seasons."

Having just watched Unto the Breach last night, I completely agree with him. Sure, Rory tries to convey that she doesn't want to break up, but the fact that there's no resolution to Logan's feelings for her is a big part of why the split doesn't make any sense in hindsight. And you're right Montgomery, Logan does a complete 180 in a single episode.

Makes ya wonder what could have been in season eight, huh?

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

I actually love Rory and Logan together both because I thought they had some interesting chemistry and that the relationship made a lot of sense from a character point of view. Logan is soooooooooooo much like Christopher both in good and bad ways. He's smart and charming and capable when he wants to be, but he's also spoiled and self centered and has a tendency to run away or flame out when confronted with hardship, just like Christopher. I kind of loved that Rory would end up with a guy so much like her father, I mean the girl had to have some unresolved issues from the way Christopher would drop in and out of her life. I liked that the writers acknowledged this without making it a big after-school special moment. It was very subtle and well done.

I actually would have loved Logan's role on the show if he'd been there in S5 to show Rory that, after spending much of the series flirting with her grandparents' high society lifestyle, after hanging out with Logan and his amazingly obnoxious, vapid, party-crazed friends, Rory realized she DIDN'T fit in with those type of people---and nor did she want to.

YMMV, but I don't totally agree that was how Rory felt. Yeah, she would make fun of it, but I think a lot of that was her echoing what she had heard from her mother her whole life. I always had the impression that Rory did like that life, quit a bit actually. I think there were attitudes that she saw that she didn't want to pick up herself, but I think she did actually want to run in high powered exclusive circles. I think she wanted to hang out in Stars Hollow too, but I also think she was very intrigued by a life of exciting careers, traveling to exotic locations, and rubbing shoulders with important people. I always thought Rory pictured herself living in both worlds. I could easily see in a couple of years her and Logan being an up and coming young Manhattan couple working on their careers and spending weekends hanging out in Stars Hollow and at the Firefly. Heck (and this is getting way into my own head) I could see Logan getting into the hotel business (he would have had the right personality for it) and Lorelei helping him get started or finally doing the fanchise deal with him.

Edited by fuzzybear, Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:09 AM

I always had the impression that Rory did like that life, quit a bit actually. I think there were attitudes that she saw that she didn't want to pick up herself, but I think she did actually want to run in high powered exclusive circles. I think she wanted to hang out in Stars Hollow too, but I also think she was very intrigued by a life of exciting careers, traveling to exotic locations, and rubbing shoulders with important people. I always thought Rory pictured herself living in both worlds.

I agree. Rory fits into the Gilmore world very easily. That's been shown since the first season. I think because Lorelai kept her separate from the negative aspects of living in that world that Rory approaches it with a much more open mind. I think Rory and Logan would have reconciled. It was an abrupt end for them and it wasn't because of lack of love or commitment. Maybe if Logan stepped back from seeing it as a rejection, and instead realised that Rory wasn't ready to be married then they could renew their relationship.

Logan grew on me. I really disliked him when they first started dating, mainly because as was said above, he brought out a side of Rory I didn't like very much. Still, it's unfair for me to blame him for Rory's bratty behaviour. I liked him quite a bit in late S6/S7 and enjoyed their relationship. It seemed the most adult relationship that Rory ever had and I could see them being together in the future.

vanillamountain

vanillamountain

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

See, I didn't have a problem with this because I was a lot like Rory when I went to college. My first year, I didn't really drink or go to parties -- I was more focused on school and activities. Later on, I started trying new things and I realized that going out with friends can be fun sometimes.

In Rory's case, the situation with Grant was unique in that it was a set-up -- Emily introduced her to this guy and she was obligated to hang out with him. Whereas with Logan and his friends, she actually knew them and had chosen to hang out with them. From my own experiences, it can be a lot more fun to go out with a bunch of friends than it would be to go on a pub crawl with someone you don't know (i.e. Grant.)

I liked that we saw Rory meeting new people and trying new things. It felt true to life that her interests might change as she grew up -- I just wish Colin and Finn weren't so insufferable! I was very glad that they were gone in season 7.

"I felt like that particular episode, where he asks her to marry him and then they break up and it's done, just felt like too much at once considering that this relationship was something that had evolved over three seasons."

I agree with him. I am glad that Rory ended the series single, because it made for a better story. But the Rory/Logan breakup did seem very rushed.

The series ended in 2007, right? In my head, I imagine that she would have spent 2007 and 2008 covering the Obama campaign/election, and would have continued covering the events up to his inauguration in the beginning of 2009. I could see Rory and Logan keeping in touch during that time -- and possibly getting back together sometime later that year.

On the other hand, Logan was such a playboy that I could see him meeting someone else while Rory was on the campaign trail, so it could have gone either way.

Edited by vanillamountain, Aug 22, 2012 @ 9:40 PM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

On the other hand, Logan was such a playboy that I could see him meeting someone else while Rory was on the campaign trail, so it could have gone either way.

In my mind, Logan moved on and he and Rory never had any contact again after the breakup. Logan struck me as the kind of guy who would not be likely to forgive a girl who chose her career (or anything else) over him. In my head, Logan has found some socialite that his parents approved of, married her and is fulfilling his family obligations. Rory, on the other hand, is immersed in her career, traveling the world and reporting, just as she always dreamed.