Million Dollar Listing

• Please log in to reply

2179 replies to this topic

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Apr 23, 2006 @ 12:20 PM

Real estate agents meet reality TV on "Million Dollar Listing," which premieres June 12 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on Bravo.

More details are in this Bravo press release:

IT'S BIG MONEY AND HIGH-DRAMA WITH THE PREMIERE OF BRAVO'S 'MILLION DOLLAR LISTING' ON MONDAY, JUNE 12 AT 10:00 PM, ET/PT

FROM OPEN HOUSES TO FINAL OFFERS, TOP REAL ESTATE AGENTS IN HOLLYWOOD AND MALIBU WORK TO SELL THE NEXT HOT LISTING

Bravo will pull back the curtain on yet another familiar world to watch what happens when ten top agents in California's tough real estate market stop at nothing to close the deal on the next "Million Dollar Listing." The six-episode, one-hour series will look at the high-stakes, cutthroat world of real estate in the high-priced fantasy lands of Malibu and Hollywood and introduce an array of colorful personalities including high-powered agents, sellers and buyers as their riveting lives intersect. "Million Dollar Listing" premieres on Monday, June 12, 2006 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT).

There is an abundance of intense emotions when agents, homeowners and potential buyers lose their patience and their minds, as they all attempt to get the most out of their "Million Dollar Listing." The players range from a rookie agent just learning the ropes, to an agent who calls herself the "condo queen," as well as a violinist selling his multi-million dollar estate and a seller in Hollywood whose wife is urging him to unload his beloved dream house complete with a stripper pole.

"Whether you own property, aspire to own it or aspire to trade it, it's part of our culture and it's what everyone's talking about, " said Frances Berwick, Senior Vice President of Production and Programming for Bravo. "Everyone who has ever bought or sold a home knows that it is the ultimate in real drama and in 'Million Dollar Listing,' we get to watch the drama unfold through the eyes of a handful of charismatic realtors in Hollywood and Malibu."

"Million Dollar Listing" will follow the trials and tribulations of two real estate companies, one in Hollywood and one in Malibu, to expose the intense work and competition that it takes to move the hot listing of the week. Each episode will showcase a real estate listing from Hollywood and a listing from Malibu, starting from the beginning of the selling process and hopefully to the coveted close. Over the course of the series, viewers will see the ups and downs as a dozen of California's biggest and best homes go up for sale. The storylines range from a woman who is a hysterical divorcee forced to sell her multi-million dollar home, to an agent whose personal ties to the seller (her ex-fiance) get in the way of a potential sale. Each and every dramatic moment that unfolds will be revealed during these testing, high dollar negotiations.

* "THE SCHMOOZER" - Scotty Brown, Malibu agent, is a smooth talking former club promoter and rock and roll manager. He got into real estate because he likes people and he has a knack for getting people to like him. Scotty will attempt to sell a southern socialite's mountaintop abode and a beautifully renovated home in an exclusive community, although the seller's wife would rather stay behind the gates.

* "TOP AGENT" - Carol Bird is one of Malibu's top producing agents. She sells millions of dollars worth of homes, but stays grounded by finding time each day to focus on herself. Carol attempts to sell a multi-acre, multi-million dollar horse estate of a quirky world-renowned violinist.

* "THE CONDO QUEEN" - Lydia Simon says she's known as the "Condo Queen of Malibu." She does sell some homes, but her bread and butter are in beachfront condominiums. Lydia will try to set a new record high for a beachfront multi-million dollar condo, all while planning and hosting her wedding.

* "THE ROOKIE" - Madison Hildebrand is new on the real estate scene, but he's quickly finding his footing on the sandy shores of Malibu. In his first six months, Madison has earned more than $200,000 in commissions. Madison discovers office politics as he tries to sell his first multi-million dollar listing.

* "THE MOGUL" - Chris Cortazzo has been selling real estate in Malibu for eleven years and is the third highest grossing Coldwell Banker agent in the world, with sales over $100 million each year for the past five years. Chris Cortazzo is asking top dollar for an exclusive beachfront bungalow.

* "THE DIVA" AND "MR. NICE GUY" - Dia and Ray Schuldenfrei are in the top 1% of ReMax agents nationwide and have more than thirty years of experience selling homes in the Hollywood Hills. They've just come off one of their biggest years ever, selling millions of dollars in property. In the series, they will deal with a desperate divorcee forced to sell the home she loves.

* “MR. HOLLYWOOD” - Chase Campen, a new Hollywood agent, is married to Ray and Dia's only daughter. After his wife gave birth to twins, he decided ramp up his real estate business in order to have a more flexible schedule. During the series, he'll have to navigate the tough line between a seller who refuses to negotiate and a hard-line buyer.

* "MR. MOM" - Michael Wegmann, Hollywood agent, made his fortune in the dot-com industry, now he sells real estate as a hobby. During the series, he will try to sell the ultra modern home of a former record producer. He and his partner try to have a child during the series.

* "THE BOMBSHELL" - Shannon McLeod is brand new agent in the Hollywood ReMax office. In the series, she'll attempt to sell her ex-fiancee's $2.3 million house.

"Million Dollar Listing" is produced for Bravo by World of Wonder. Executive Producers are Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato. Michaline Babich is supervising producer and was edited by Mike Rysavy.

I saw a preview of the first two episodes. Spoilers below:

Episode 1 focuses on "THE ROOKIE" (Madison Hildebrand) and "THE BOMBSHELL" (Shannon McLeod), and somewhat on THE SCHMOOZER" (Scotty Brown). Shannon has had too much plastic surgery and she's kid of a bimbo. Madison gives off a metrosexual/gay vibe. Not sure what to think about him, but he's a great dealmaker. Scotty is very aggressive, and can be somewhat of a loudmouth jerk.

Episode 2 focuses on "THE DIVA" AND "MR. NICE GUY" (Dia and Ray Schuldenfrei) and "THE CONDO QUEEN" (Lydia Simon). Dia is a major bitch--and she looks like Jocelyn Wildestein's long-lost sister--way too much plastic surgery. Ray is very nice. Lydia is a workaholic and her wedding is shown in this episode.

Some of the clients and potential clients on this show are total freaks. The freaks are the ones who've had too much plastic surgery. One woman who stops by to look at the house is dressed like a stripper and has breasts the size of basketballs. Then there's a divorcee client of Dia and Ray's who is middle-aged, another plastic surgery victim, and is very moody and neurotic. She keeps changing her mind about selling her house, and she's one of those pudgy middle-aged women who tries to dress like she's 30 years young. Sh should NOT be wearing low-rider jeans and a thong. Unfortunately she does on the show.

Edited by Young and Free, Apr 23, 2006 @ 12:25 PM.

onehotgrrl

onehotgrrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 1:21 AM

I'd watch this just to see the houses. Unfortunately I don't have Bravo in this new city I just moved to.

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 2:08 PM

Malibu and Hollywood? If they want cutthroat, million-dollar real estate drama, they need to go north to Atherton and Woodside (or just the Bay area in general). LA is for the kiddies.

Parhelion

Parhelion

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 2:26 PM

Young and Free, do you work in TV or the press? You got to see this show in advance, as well as The Real Housewives of Orange County.

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 3:16 PM

I'd watch this just to see the houses.

Some of the houses are beautiful. Other houses are fixer-uppers. And other houses have owners who have very bad taste, and they make their houses look ugly.

Malibu and Hollywood? If they want cutthroat, million-dollar real estate drama, they need to go north to Atherton and Woodside (or just the Bay area in general). LA is for the kiddies.

Very true. On average, it costs more to live in the San Francisco Bay area than the Los Angeles area. But maybe they didn't want do the show in the San Francisco area because they're more likely to have the flashy personality types and freaks in the Los Angeles area. Not to stereotype, but the Los Angeles area is more of a magnet for those types of people than Silicon Valley is. There's also plenty of celebrity name-dropping on this show, and I don't think that would happen as much if they filmed the show in the San Francisco area.

Edited by Young and Free, Apr 26, 2006 @ 5:14 PM.

majenta

majenta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

Caldwell Banker? ReMax? I don't know much about Real Estate in LA, but here in New York the expensive stuff isn't being sold by the same firms doing subdivisions on Long Island. Something tells me this isn't going to be about the highest echelon of real estate. Are we actually going to be looking at split levels in the Valley?

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 7:37 PM

Something tells me this isn't going to be about the highest echelon of real estate. Are we actually going to be looking at split levels in the Valley?

On the show, the Coldwell Banker agents from Mailbu show property in Malibu. The ReMax agents in Hollywood show property in that area, like the Hollywood Hills/Sunset Plaza area.

For obvious reasons, the Malibu agents have the higher-end homes. All the homes on this show are not the highest-echelon homes like the kind of property Steven Spielberg or Aaron Spelling have. Most of the homes on this show are in the range of $2 million to $4 million. Just to give you an idea of the kind of neighborhoods where the Malibu agents do business, in Episode 2, one of the Malibu agents shows a condo that's near a home owned by someone in the Sheen family.

Edited by Young and Free, Apr 26, 2006 @ 7:38 PM.

Ailine

Ailine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Caldwell Banker? ReMax? I don't know much about Real Estate in LA, but here in New York the expensive stuff isn't being sold by the same firms doing subdivisions on Long Island.

I don't know about that - just because the Prudential branch in Great Neck is selling 40 year old tract homes doesn't mean Prudential Douglas Elliman in Manhattan isn't selling ten billion dollars a year and getting quoted in the Times real estate section. These Realtors are just franchisees, really, who are using a nationally known name, as well as a national advertising budget and national MLS-type services, to get business. It's up to the actual Realtors to decide what their target market is going to be.

si78

si78

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2006 @ 6:27 PM

The show was supposed to premiere tonight but the page has been taken down from the Bravo website and the online television listing guides have removed it.

What's up?

eelpout

eelpout

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 4:20 PM

looks like they moved the premier to the end of August: http://www.thefutonc...20060601bravo01

nme525

nme525

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

I saw an ad last night during Project Runway saying it will debut on Aug. 29th.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:01 PM

Well after watching Workout I might be able to stomach this. Still, just the promos have very Real Housewives feel to it in terms of self-infatuated reverence and I'm not sure how many times I can watch people try and convince us how rich and fabulosu they are and yet have plenty of time to spend whoring for a reality camera.

But the real temptation is seeing the actual scene where the guy mentions Charlie Sheen being next door right after the promo voiceover tells us how the properties are worth the millions. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of living next door to Charlie Sheen being an advantage let alone one worth millions:

a) Because you are a paparazzi and the commute will be a breeze

b) you want an STD but don't want to have to go look for one; buy the house and all you have to do is leave the windows open when the breeze is coming in from the right direction

c) you always wanted to be battered or assaulted by someone famous

d) your idea of fun is watching people pass out drunk in their own yard in a pool of their own vomit

e) when you need to borrow a cup of sugar...and a hooker

f) the sound of Denise Richards screaming shrilly at her husband for failing to pay up on his child support is music to your ears

g) you figure a comfortable chair in front of the largest window facing the Sheen Manse is the ultimate reality television experience.

Edited by heebiejeebie, Aug 23, 2006 @ 12:01 PM.

Cubbie

Cubbie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

heebiejeebie, pretty funny stuff. It looks like that episode is down the line.

I watched tonight, but I don't think I will again. I mean I love snooping into other people's houses as much as the next guy, but that was a very unlikable group of people.

Did anybody else recognize Shannon from her appearance on House Hunters a few years ago? She was buying a new house and was serving as her own agent.

brillegg

brillegg

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 11:19 PM

I'm gonna love this show!!! So much dish!!

Hate the Hollywood Hills home...that bedroom with the immense coved ceiling in red..reminded me of a Niagra Falls hotel room!!! Ewwwwww!!!!
While the kitchen was nice, the rest of the house looked like an ego-maniac's testosterone nightmare!!!

And so much money being thrown around!!!

Malibu home? Get a competent contractor in there, and the sky is the limit!! Cute realtor guy though...will he take his shirt off at the beach some more????? Only time will tell!!

reelbigphish

reelbigphish

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 12:32 AM

Cubbie

That's why I kept thinking I recognized Shannon. Did she ever go back for her dog? I figured she left the dog at the ex's house as a way to move back in. Shannon is a piss poor agent. How does she even make a living? I loved how she ignored everyone but the good looking guy. My realtor won't even have open houses, she thinks they're a big waste of time. Shannon seems very limited in marketing skills if all she can come up with is an open house.

They call Scotty Brown the "THE SCHMOOZER" - I kept referring to him as the "PIMP REALTOR." A less appealing person, I cannot imagine.

LPTrixieKiller

LPTrixieKiller

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 6:54 AM

I have zero tolerance for people who carry dogs around in their bags and bring them to their jobs - as if they are accessories. Shannon, you suck. And I really loved that the ex-fiance pretty much blamed her for the deal not going through because she was representing both buyer and seller. Beautiful.

Agree with you on Scottie Brown, but he almost seemed like a caricature rather than an annoying person. It's hard to imagine people like that actually exist. Who really rubbed me the wrong way was Gus, the seller of the rundown place. You only saw him for a few minutes at the beginning, but I felt instant hate. He was being flat out whiny about the amount of money he lost - but he made a $400,000 profit after it was all said and done! Whatever, Gus. And the way he talked about wanting to start a drug/alcohol rehab center, and basically said he had lost interest, well, what is there to say about that.... People have the right to change their minds, but the way he was presenting himself, he just seemed so insincere and entitled.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 10:03 AM

How does she even make a living?

Perhaps she's still getting residuals from her movies? Yeeeeah. I, too, remembered her from House Hunters and remembered that someone found her on IMDB.

Bethlyn

Bethlyn

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 11:16 AM

They call Scotty Brown the "THE SCHMOOZER" - I kept referring to him as the "PIMP REALTOR." A less appealing person, I cannot imagine.

Oh? Try watching King of Cars. Scotty Brown would be BFF with Chop from that show. And now I know why Chop doesn't have any women car sales staff -- they're all selling real estate instead!

Anyone going to look up "Farrah, the one-name lawyer"?

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 11:51 AM

I actually kind of agreed with him though, when Madison was trying to weasel out of their deal. What I didn't understand was whether or not they had a signed contract for the purchase price and if not why. When I first tuned in, Scotty was asking Madison about the deal and whether or not he was getting the house and I thought he was the buyer until I ran back my recording and realized he was the buyer's agent. If he is an agent, shouldn't he know how things work? He seemed pretty clueless about the process. I remember when I bought and sold my house, my realtor was fanatical about getting signatures on the accepted offers right away so you would have an enforceable contract. If Scotty was a good realtor he would have made sure he had that bottom line signed instead of just asking Madison "So do we have a deal?"

At the end of the show, I kept expecting to see the "After" pictures of the Malibu renovation, but I guess that is another show. After watching so many house-flipping shows, it would be cool to see one for multi-million dollar homes.

Shannon was so useless. I can see how even these bad real estate agents survive though. All you need is one good deal to go through and you make more money than most people do in a year. She seemed to totally luck into representing that one lady, who just wanted the dual agents to hopefully save money on price (since the seller could pay less commission.)

I am already really interested in this show and looking forward to the next episode.

reelbigphish

reelbigphish

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

Thanks for the IMDb link, VaVaVoom. Of course now, I don't know if I recognized Shannon from House Hunters or from Seduce Me: Pamela Principle 2.

After watching seasons of House Hunters and Designed to Sell, you hear about properties getting multiple offers all the time. I didn't understand how Scotty the Pimp Daddy could be surprised that the seller would entertain other offers. As Madison said, he has to present all other offers. His duty is to his seller. Seems to me, nothing is certain in real estate until closing. Plus, just like Shannon, my allegiance is to the young, cute guy.

I know where I'll be Tuesday nights at 9:00 now.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

This show continues the Bravo tradition of coming across as so incrediblely fake. From the woman showing up at the open house and basically just offering Shannon $50,000 to do nothing. To Shannon's "I missed my ad deadline, so I wasn't expecting many people at the open house." Then why have the open house? It wasn't like the guy wasn't in a hurry to sell, so waiting until she could appropriately advertise and get people there didn't seem to be a big issue. If it wasn't a set-up by the production, I am thinking it was a set-up by her so she could sit around the house with her ex-boyfriend.

But don't even get me started on Greg and Scott "looking at alternative properties" because the deal wasn't going through. Yeah, the guy who wanted to flip a house is totally going to buy a $10 million house in perfect condition.

I swear I can only imagine the special cross-over event were Shannon becomes either Jackie from Work Out or Jonathan Antin's realtor.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 30, 2006 @ 1:53 PM.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 2:27 PM

Yeah, the guy who wanted to flip a house is totally going to buy a $10 million house in perfect condition.

Yeah I thought the same thing. But it was fun to see such a ridiculous home. Bear carvings on the columns? Mermaids in the bathroom? Ick.

I actually kinda liked ex-fiance's house. Oh, I thought it screamed "bachelor in mid life" but it had a lot of potential and appeared to have top notch basics (The floors, the countertops, etc.) and was in a great area.

speckle28

speckle28

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 3:13 PM

Re: Shannon and her ex's listing. Anyone else think he took it off the market and then was going to re-list with a more competent agent (preferrably an exclusive selling agent at that).

Ditto on open houses mainly being good for agents to meet potential clients - that's how I met my agent. I'd be really underimpressed if that was a listing agent's primary way to market my house. Also, I can't believe she was doing her nails during an open house. Way to impress potential clients.

And I can't believe as negotiations were grinding to a halt over the inspection items, that she didn't quantify the amount of the repairs and then either negotiate a split of the costs or work someone to cave in. I can't believe the costs were really high compared to the deal - maybe 5K?

sandia99

sandia99

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 3:39 PM

Are there any women in Southern California that aren't surgically enhanced? It really is disturbing especially that basketball breast woman. Her skin was stretched so thin around her cleavage it was almost transparent.

Why Scotty instead of Scott? Is he 3? I don't understand why Scotty and Madison didn't immediately get their clients to immediately sign on the dotted line for the fixer-upper house. Are they just terribly lazy?

Why didn't Shannon, high holy queen of the order of fish lips, just take the money out of her commission to pay for the supposedly minor repairs to her ex-boyfriend's house to get the deal to go through? It would still be better than making no money and losing two customers. Perhaps during her next open house we can watch her getting her monthly Botox injections instead of the manicure.

Farrah was a lawyer who shows up to random open houses, makes an offer on a two million dollar house she barely looked at, and hires a realtor she knows nothing about on the spot? I fear for her law practice clients.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

I'm coming back for more as far as this show goes-and word to the buyer who said he would never pay ten million for the house of the naked anatomically correct donkey!!!!!!

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 8:00 PM

I immediately recognized Shannon from HOUSE HUNTERS.
The swimming pool of her ex boyfriend looked like it may have been in a past House Hunter episode.
Agreed about Shannon putting up the money to do the repairs, I mean is she that stupid about loosing a BIG sale?

ghetto hood rat

ghetto hood rat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 8:23 PM

Farrah was a lawyer who shows up to random open houses, makes an offer on a two million dollar house she barely looked at, and hires a realtor she knows nothing about on the spot? I fear for her law practice clients.

I think the cameras being there must have helped. Farrah's duckbill lips really distracted me and made her seem suspicious to me-unfair, but there it is.

Madison was cute-girls I'm sorry, he's gay. he screams West Hollywood bleached-teeth, trying to break into the industry-are you an agent?-gay.

It's not that surprising that a lot of the realtors on this show are hovering around the entertainment industry-a lot of the real estate people in NYC are actors between gigs, or just failed performers-I dont think anyone has realtor as a career goal.

I think Shannon's ex-BF just isnt going to sell the house at all-I got the impression he was realizing how attached he was to it-and really why bother-does he realize how bad the RE market in LA is? Stay where you are!!!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

Yeah, but she's a shark when it comes to $1.98 switchplates.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 11:10 PM

When Botoxia said, "Farrah doesn't realize that she's really irritating Jeff!" all I could think was "Farrah doesn't realize that she's really irritating the entire viewing audience."

The Melon Woman. She's living in the wrong part of California. She belongs in Silicon Valley.

Ms Bayliss

Ms Bayliss

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

The Melon Woman. She's living in the wrong part of California. She belongs in Silicon Valley.

Bwah! It was plastic surgery palooza on that show! For the love of god, women, duck lips belong on ducks.