The Game

• Please log in to reply

1430 replies to this topic

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2006 @ 2:02 AM

It seems this show is starting to come into it's own. I actually enjoyed this episode a lot, except for the sprinkling of excess cheese at the end.

tvfanatic23

tvfanatic23

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2006 @ 4:39 PM

So I missed the last episode (How Tasha Got Her Groove Back) both times it aired - the first time for 'Heroes' and last night's repeat because I completely forgot.

Anyone care to give a quick recap? I'd really appreciate it.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2006 @ 2:42 PM

I didn't see it from the beginning but here's the jist:

One of the coaches (played by Rocky Carroll from Roc) was upset with the hotdogging play of Malik (that's Tasha's son's name, right?) and possibly threatened to bench him. (I'm fuzzy on what he was going to do; it was something that really ticked Malik off.) Tasha told Malik she'd meet with the coach and handle it. IIRC, the coach just wanted to ask her out; she refused because she wanted to talk business; they decided to meet at a movie together and talk business there. They discuss Malik's style of play and how he should be more careful to have career longevity; later, they wind up in bed together. They start seeing each other without telling Malik; Tasha tells Malik that he should listen to the coach because he's coached some other QB's who had long successful careers. After the next game (I think), Rookie makes a comment about Tasha and the coach dating. Malik gets pissed at Tasha, thinking that she was just on the coache's side and not really looking out for his best interests. He tells her that she can either be his mom and date the coach or be his manager and dump the coach. She decides to be the manager; when she goes to tell the coach that it's over, they both admit that it wasn't just a sex thing, that they both really have feelings for each other.

Edited by ajra, Nov 2, 2006 @ 2:43 PM.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2006 @ 6:14 PM

I was kind of upset because from the commercials, it looked like the coach may have been Jeffrey D. Samms, but it wasn't. That's a fiiiiiine man, and I miss seeing him around.

Anyway, I'm still liking the show. It was interesting that there was no sort of resolution to the money issue.

tvfanatic23

tvfanatic23

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2006 @ 1:37 PM

Thanks, ajra!

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2006 @ 3:55 PM

It was interesting that there was no sort of resolution to the money issue.

You're talking about the birthday party? I thought the resolution (of sorts) was that he wouldn't be all "Daddy saves the day" - even though he'd still have his same stance about how they spend. Heck, I'm on his side. $500 was plenty for a party (too much, if you ask me).

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

It was interesting that there was no sort of resolution to the money issue.

You're talking about the birthday party? I thought the resolution (of sorts) was that he wouldn't be all "Daddy saves the day" - even though he'd still have his same stance about how they spend. Heck, I'm on his side. $500 was plenty for a party (too much, if you ask me).

I'm talking about the larger issue at hand: that the guy didn't include his wife in spending decisions. Even though the Disney thing was a great idea, in the end, it was still his idea alone, with no input from the wife.

AfroJo

AfroJo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2006 @ 10:52 AM

The vibe I got from the end of the episode was that the husband finally realized how controlling he could be with regard to the finances. Even when he told his wife to announce whatever it was he managed to finagle as her idea, she still said it was his. The look on the husband's face said it all.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2006 @ 1:54 PM

Well, as long as he feels that they don't need to lead an extravagant lifestyle and she feels they must keep up with the Joneses, there's not going to be a resolution. I don't see him caving on that (and he shouldn't) any time soon. Meanwhile, she'd have no problem with BritBrat being on My Super Sweet Sixteen. As long as he changes his 'no... no... no... OK, now Daddy has a great idea' ways, he's fine with me. BUT - Mommy has to be open to it. IMO, if he had included her in the Disney idea from the beginning, she still would have been against it. That idea was free (for them - because of his endorsement deal); she was all about topping the PussyCat Dolls and spending more money than the other girl's parents.

Also, remember - she told the story about how she wasn't about the money in the beginning, so what has changed? That stuff she said to Melanie about starting the relationship the way she wanted it to be later (or something to that effect). If she only wanted to be with him for him in the beginning and didn't care about the money, why does she have to be Mrs. Bling Bling now?

Edited by ajra, Nov 5, 2006 @ 1:59 PM.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 1:13 PM

I like this show, I think it's funny, but what I like most of all are the locker room scenes. You just can't go wrong with a shirtless Pooch Hall and I am very willing to watch them TRY to mess that up.

If she only wanted to be with him for him in the beginning and didn't care about the money, why does she have to be Mrs. Bling Bling now?

But she didn't want the money for herself, she wanted it for their daughter. My take from the episode wasn't that Kelly wanted more money, she just wanted to have a say in the way the money was being spent with regards to their child. I think if he had negotiated the cost or even told Kelly about the Cinderella idea before telling Brittany it would have been a different scenario.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

This last ep was probably my least favorite of the run. Not awful, just buggy.

I thought it was really lame that Melanie convinced Derwin to stop taking advantage of the situation with that weak line about God not liking it. If you're going to use religion, punch it up! I just thought her speech was trite and poorly written.

She was, however, showing her inner-Joan with the dinner party obsession. Even had a little of the crazy eyes.

My major complaint: Quarterback had already been to Rookie's apartment (repeatedly and for days on end), yet expressed shock at it's small size. That's why you don't air episodes out of order (I hope that's the reason).

AfroJo

AfroJo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 3:47 PM

I hated how Quarterback reacted to Derwin and Mel's apartment, as well, because just last week, he was playing video games there 24/7. I don't think the CW execs are that stupid or The Game writers that forgetful, so I'm assuming the episodes are somewhat out of order.

nme525

nme525

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 7:14 PM

I hated how Quarterback reacted to Derwin and Mel's apartment, as well, because just last week, he was playing video games there 24/7. I don't think the CW execs are that stupid or The Game writers that forgetful, so I'm assuming the episodes are somewhat out of order.

I was just going to come ask if the episodes were shown out of order because of this. I can't see them making that big of an error when writing the episodes.

Byebuffy2

Byebuffy2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2006 @ 11:28 PM

Yep the episode was aired out of order. Last week's episode was suppose to air a few weeks later.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 2:48 PM

But she didn't want the money for herself, she wanted it for their daughter. My take from the episode wasn't that Kelly wanted more money, she just wanted to have a say in the way the money was being spent with regards to their child. I think if he had negotiated the cost or even told Kelly about the Cinderella idea before telling Brittany it would have been a different scenario.

He did tell her about the Cinderella part before Brit. (The Disney idea, no, the parade stuff with Cinderella, yes) And she didn't want the money for Brit; she wanted to throw a fancier, more, bigger, better party than the other kid. Just like that whole team gift thing that they got into a couple of weeks ago; she wanted to give away something expensive like Malik was doing. I could agree that she wanted the money for Brit if she was saying 'party' and he was saying 'no party' - but he was saying 'reasonably priced party' and she was saying 'we have to outdo that party'. Big difference.

I already agreed that she wanted more say in how money was spent. My 'bling bling' issue with her is how much she wants to spend and why.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 8:43 PM

He did tell her about the Cinderella part before Brit.

Yea, but it was still his decision. She had no say whatsoever in it. So, he's still a dictator.

Azrael

Azrael

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

Well, sure. But, it doesn't seem like it's new behavior. I'd guess that seven or eight years ago, Jason started like he plans to finish.

I'm guessing Kelly's attitude about expensive parties and gifts is a result of living around, and socializing with all the other money spending millionaires. If Jason were a firefighter or school teacher, and they lived in a nice middle income neighborhood where birthday parties cost less than $500, she'd probably be okay with knock off designer bags, giving inexpensive gifts to co-workers, and going to Disneyland with free tickets.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 9:56 PM

It seems like y'all are debating completely different points from the opposing arguments.

Basically, she's wrong for wanting to spend outrageous amounts of money, but he's wrong for completely controlling every aspect of their finances.

It only seems like she wants to splurge when she thinks other people will be judging their spending practices, she doesn't seem like she a flamboyant spender in general.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:14 AM

Basically, she's wrong for wanting to spend outrageous amounts of money, but he's wrong for completely controlling every aspect of their finances.

Which is what I was saying in the first place. Maybe it wasn't clear.

Yea, but it was still his decision. She had no say whatsoever in it. So, he's still a dictator.

Which I addressed when I said "As long as he changes his 'no... no... no... OK, now Daddy has a great idea' ways, he's fine with me." It was wrong for him to let Mommy have the sucky party idea then swoop in with the 'let's take your real friends to Disneyland' thing. (Which seems to be his M.O.) But - Mom still could have met him halfway with the Cinderella part, but she chose not to.

It only seems like she wants to splurge when she thinks other people will be judging their spending practices,

And this is the question I asked... he had money when they got together - probably not as much as he has now, but enough for her to make the point that she wasn't with him for his money like the other girls around him were - so what made her change?

Edited by ajra, Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:27 AM.

Azrael

Azrael

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:27 AM

so what made her change?

Time. Also, she said she was a Sabergirl when they met. So she had some income of her own them. Now she's totally dependent on his income for her "allowance" and his utter cheapness is more irritating seven or eight years in than it was at the beginning of their relationship.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:59 AM

Which is what I was saying in the first place. Maybe it wasn't clear.

No, it was clear. You just kept saying it over and over, and the other person kept making their point about his controlling behavior. All I was saying is that y'all were arguing about two different points in the "he/she was wrong" debate, and it was going around in circles.

It only seems like she wants to splurge when she thinks other people will be judging their spending practices,

And this is the question I asked... he had money when they got together - probably not as much as he has now, but enough for her to make the point that she wasn't with him for his money like the other girls around him were - so what made her change?

The fact that their marriage elevated her to a different social circle, with a completely different group of friends, with completely different priorities. And I don't think she's changed per se; she's still "not with him for the money." She's trying to maintain her position in her social circle (she is the top Sunbeam), and that occasionally requires exhibition of a little spending power. Also,I'm sure it's frustrating to wield so much power in that realm, and to go home and have no say in your family's finances.

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 12:33 PM

Also, she said she was a Sabergirl when they met. So she had some income of her own them

Actually, if being a Sabergirl is anything like being a Redskins cheerleader, she's not making any money at all. You don't get an income, you just get the fringe benefits. She more than likely had another job at the time.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

She's trying to maintain her position in her social circle (she is the top Sunbeam), and that occasionally requires exhibition of a little spending power. Also,I'm sure it's frustrating to wield so much power in that realm, and to go home and have no say in your family's finances.

I didn't think about the frustration aspect of it. But I think her position as top Sunbeam is more threatened by Malik's mom (being a mom instead of a wife, being older, being Malik's business manager) than anything that she could cure with an exhibition of spending power. But there's no way she'd get that kind of power with her husband, so I guess she has to use what she can. Heck, in a way, she may even feel threatened by/jealous of Melanie - Melanie has made it clear (or tried to) to them that being a Sunbeam is not the center of her life, because she's in med school. Sure, Mel's making the best of it now, trying to develop friendships, and learning what her life as a player's wife will be, but eventually she won't have time for the Sunbeam stuff.... maybe too much of her life is wrapped up in Jason/the Sunbeams.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2006 @ 8:14 PM

I thought it was really lame that Melanie convinced Derwin to stop taking advantage of the situation with that weak line about God not liking it. If you're going to use religion, punch it up! I just thought her speech was trite and poorly written.

I couldn't believe that line was allowed to go unchecked with some kind of comeback - at very least, a "I can't believe you went there". Just a line laid out with a great THUD.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

Even Maude would say, "God'll get you for that Walter". It never fell flat.

Anyway, love the show. Love Miss Mowry.

It was nice that Malik's mom and the coach's relationship was back on the front burner. They're great together.

I would like the writers to give Malik some depth. He's too one-note right now.

ajra

ajra

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 12:00 PM

How old is Malik supposed to be? He'd realistically have to have 7 - 10 years in the league (and great stats since he has no pedigree) to be regarded as he is (and paid as much as he's paid), but he acts really young. Maybe he's 27 (with 5 years in) and that makes Tasha 43?

Edited by ajra, Nov 15, 2006 @ 12:01 PM.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 3:25 PM

How old is Malik supposed to be? He'd realistically have to have 7 - 10 years in the league (and great stats since he has no pedigree) to be regarded as he is (and paid as much as he's paid), but he acts really young. Maybe he's 27 (with 5 years in) and that makes Tasha 43?

I always thought he was younger than that. I assumed he was one of those breakout talents who came to the team with a lot of attention and hype. Maybe he played college ball (and maybe was even a star in high school a la Vince Young), but went pro before finishing school. I'd venture to say, since Jason commented on his being so young, that he's only been in for three, maybe four years, putting him around 23-25. I guess we'll find out at some point.

AfroJo

AfroJo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

I assumed Malik was in his early 20's as well.

I think Wendy Raquel is absolutely gorgeous. I've been in awe of her beautiful looks for a while.

Azrael

Azrael

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

When they piloted this show last season on Girlfriends, Tasha said Mailk was 24 and she had him at 15. So, she was supposed to be 39. Later, she mentioned a Sweet 16/baby shower. And, Monday night she said she was younger than (40 year old) Halle Berry.

Rollo65

Rollo65

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

I liked this past week's episode. The relationship between Tasha and Malik rings very true these days because there are a lot of young sports superstars who have young very active mothers. Plus any sitcom that plays Frankie Beverly and Maze gets my attention! ("Happy Feelings", if you were wondering)