The Game

• Please log in to reply

1430 replies to this topic

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 8:36 PM

So, Tia's all grown up, huh? For whatever reason, I thought that Kelly Rowland was going to be in a Girlfriends spin-off then they switched it up and made Tia Joan's cousin. Okay.

The show was meh. I like Coby Bell (have since Third Watch) and was surprised to see him on this show. Isn't he dating Telma's character on Half & Half? Anyway, his penny-pinching ways will become tired (if they aren't already). I could do without Wendy Raquel Robinson. Coby's wife was meh. Tia's boyfriend reminds me of Lance from The Best Man with his prayers. Coby's wife is meh. (Oh, wait, I said that). Tia's character has the potential to become annoying. I don't want her to start whining that she gave up John's Hopkins for her boyfriend then start getting upset with him because of it.

Edited by fashionista79, Apr 18, 2006 @ 8:53 PM.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 8:01 AM

I like Coby Bell (have siince Third Watch) and was surprised to see him on this show. Isn't he dating Telma's character on Half & Half?

Yeah he is, though they haven't mentioned anything about that relationship in a minute. Assuming this gets picked up, I guess that doesn't bode well for his longevity on Half & Half.

But anyway, aside from the show airing in the GF slot, it wasn't that bad. I've seen much worse.

Skenicia

Skenicia

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 8:40 AM

Twin would have been a good Lil Dee Dee from Half N Half.

Luvey

Luvey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 9:05 AM

I guess I'm the only one who found this crap offensive. UPN proving once again why their comedies don't have higher ratings. The horrible stereotypes depicted and Wendy Robinson trying to sound ghetto was just too much for me to sit through.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 11:16 AM

The horrible stereotypes depicted and Wendy Robinson trying to sound ghetto was just too much for me to sit through.

I agree...and they better never do that bait and switch (show the "Girlfriends" credits over it...just for it to be this crap) again!

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

It'll most likely be canned before summer.

The only good "black" comedies out there today is Everybody Hates Chris and The Bernie Mac Show. And it's not because the characters are stereotypes, but because the situations are relatable to everyone.

Crap like "Cuts" and "Eve" and especially "The Parkers" is why UPN is the laughingstock of the networks.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 7:05 PM

I thought they were the new girlfriends. It's awful. The dialogue was forced half the time and ultimately I just really didn't care about any of the situations or characters. It might serve them better to situate it more around actual games or something. Really though, I could do without this show. I can't believe they even bothered airing it. I'd rather see poodle swim races than this show. There just seemed to be a lot of seriously dead time. Then when they piped in the canned laughter it was at things that weren't funny in the least.

The only time I chuckled was at the "I guess they're really not scared of us any more" line, and that was probably because they stole it from Chappelle.

talkstoomuch

talkstoomuch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

Pilots (especially sitcom pilots) are notoriously bad. The actors and writers don't have a feel for their characters yet because it's a singke episode written in a vacuum before relationships are established.

That said, I didn't think this one was that bad. I actually laughed real laughter a couple of times. What was it that people found so offensive?

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 8:24 PM

This show has been officially picked up by the CW.

Looks like Tia Mowry is the Tracee Ellis Ross of this show. Let's see if she can carry this.

Let's also see if we can have at least one episode where there is no racial joke involving the white character.

Wouldn't it be so cool if this show started off like Girlfriends did in S1 and S2? You know, with good stories, funny writing, sympathetic characters, etc. Like I mentioned in another thread, maybe some of the H&H writers can move over.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 10:09 PM

I already liked the Mowerys, and will have to check this show out.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 2:46 AM

I know Aldis Hodge (Derwin, the Tia character's boyfriend), and he's excited by the pick-up but enjoying the calm before the storm, if you will. Will pass along any insider info as I come across it...

leebeasy

leebeasy

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2006 @ 5:16 PM

Add me to the list of people who will be watching this because of Tia Mowery, I used to love Sister Sister.

talkstoomuch

talkstoomuch

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

Like I mentioned in another thread, maybe some of the H&H writers can move over.

As long as they leave their patented Mona rimshot one-liners behind.

Wendy Robinson trying to sound ghetto

This made me laugh and laugh. She talks like that on purpose? Seriously? I thought for sure that was her pre-diction voice.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2006 @ 3:14 AM

Well, Aldis joined me for my screening of the new Pirates flick tonight, and he gave me a bit of news just he got last week, which hasn't been formally announced: his role is being recast, as is another on the show. What made this kind of sting was that there's already been some promo in place with him on it with Tia and such. Feel bad for him, but he has a great, upbeat attitude about the whole situation and has moved on. But that they're recasting two roles, one of which is the male lead, can't be good--and at the 11th hour it seems. They cancelled Half & Half for this?

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2006 @ 9:06 AM

They cancelled Half & Half for this?

Well, who knows what retooling they would've done to Half & Half. As I said once before, it's probably a blessing in disguise that H&H didn't get renewed. At least I can remember the show in a good way.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

Do they even show any of the actors from this show in the new CW promos?

I see the cast members from "Chris", "All of Us", and "Girlfriends", but (unless it's just because I don't recognize anyone) I don't see anyone from "The Game". I think I would recognize Tia Mowry and Wendy Raquel Robinson. In any event, I don't see this show lasting too long; they say nothing about it.

I'll check out a couple of episodes, but my early guess is that it's gone after 6 weeks (replaced with a repeat of "Girlfriends", no doubt), or it stays out the season in the relative anonymity of Sunday night CW (since they probably make no money anyway). Shades of Holly Robinson-Peete's misfortunes with "Love Inc".

Double Pump

Double Pump

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 8:42 PM

So they got that guy from the Lugz commercials. There were some funny moments (the yo momma exchanges), but this show is just - it's just really not worth anything.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 8:49 PM

It amuses me that Tia Mowry and Brittany Daniel's are both twins, I hope they find some way to incorporate their siblings into the show. As for the show; the men are hot.

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 9:49 PM

Brittany...Was she Elizabeth or Jessica Wakefield? It's sad, but I still think of them as the Sweet Valley Twins. Can't help it.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 11:11 PM

Not great, but not bad. I laughed a few times. It has potential.

Red Hood

Red Hood

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 5:02 AM

Brittany...Was she Elizabeth or Jessica Wakefield? It's sad, but I still think of them as the Sweet Valley Twins. Can't help it.

She played Jessica. And if it makes you feel any better, ever since I saw her in last night's premiere I've had the Sweet Valley theme stuck in my head. It's currently at war with House of Pain's "Jump Around." Damn Catalina.

Edited by Red Hood, Oct 2, 2006 @ 5:04 AM.

BrownSugar622

BrownSugar622

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 9:10 AM

I didn't like the show at all...I'm not getting why Wendy Raquel Robinson's character would be hanging out with the girlfriends/wives when she's a MOTHER of one of the players...

I love Tia/Tamara but the whole premise of this show isn't really appealing to me...

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 9:17 AM

Because she's closer to the wives age than the other mothers and I think she might also be in that charity the women are always talking about.

chiguy60613

chiguy60613

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 4:55 PM

I liked the show. Its a UPN show. I don't have high expectations for the writing or the acting or the set up. I do like Wendy, I think she's funny. Tia is great and the white wife Brittany(?), I like her as well. Overall, its cool.

But I did like Half and Half. Can't nobody replace my Telma! I felt like All of Us should have been cancelled and Half and Half should have made the change over. But I guess with Will and Jadass behind it, the networks gave into pressure.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 6:56 PM

That's pretty much my assessment. I think it improved a bit from the intro episode last season and I like the character changes.

But I did like Half and Half. Can't nobody replace my Telma! I felt like All of Us should have been cancelled and Half and Half should have made the change over.

Word, word, a million times word! I watched EHC even though I'm peeved at Chris Rock's role in saving that annoying AoU show. I don't know how long I'll watch that one.

cinaminsweet281

cinaminsweet281

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 8:39 PM

I thought that as well. I actually thought it was better than both of the premieres of Girlfriends and All of Us (why is AoU still on the air and H&H not? So not fair.)

That's how I always think of her as well. And now I've got the SV theme song in my head as well! I also hope they find a way to work Cynthia and Tamera in for an episode, that'd be kind of cute.

justaskme

justaskme

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 4:23 PM

It amuses me that Tia Mowry and Brittany Daniel's are both twins, I hope they find some way to incorporate their siblings into the show. As for the show; the men are hot.

Wowwwwwwwwww[/channeling Flavor Flav] I thought I would be the only person who remembered the Wakefields and SVH. Since we don't know much about the characters right now, it could be possible that both "Melanie" and "Britany" are twins. I could definately see the CW throwing in some zany mistaken identity plot with one or both actresses and their twins for ratings.

kia112

kia112

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 7:27 PM

When I saw Brittany last night, it made me think of her character "Eve" on Dawson's Creek. And whenever I think of that character, I go back to SVH. It's a round-about way. I remember when I was reading the books and the show premiered. They stopped drawing the twins and had the Daniels girls pose for the covers instead.

Anyhoo, any show with Wendy is a friend of mine. And it didn't seem too bad.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

Still not bad. I'm pleasantly surprised.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I like the show because I love Tia Mowry. I think she's just adorable and she reminds me of my neice. I also like Wendy Raquel's character and the blonde lead.

The ladies' room scene was pretty funny. Corazon was about to cut a b****.