America's Got Talent

• Please log in to reply

5883 replies to this topic

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

No, Howard wasn't on Idol, but always talked about it the next day. He piqued my curiosity enough to want to look in.

The Lambaster

The Lambaster

Just Tuned In

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I couldn't watch when the 'side show freak' was on. Too squeamish I guess. Did they make it through?

No. The assessment was that the act belonged in the sideshow--it wasn't a "million dollar" act. (Although I didn't watch them--I only listened.)

Edited by The Lambaster, May 15, 2012 @ 11:41 AM.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

The 7 y/o and her father are plants. Then again maybe they all are(or quite a few).

I wouldn't be surprised if the show actively goes out and finds acts and gives then a free pass to the audition round. On a personal note the act might have been cute but it's not a 1M dollar act.

I couldn't watch when the 'side show freak' was on. Too squeamish I guess. Did they make it through?

I wish the sideshow act made it through, while it's not a winning act, it at least was something different. I can only take so many singers or dancing groups

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Stern was on Idol?

Howard has extensively talked about Idol on his show since Season 1. He's had all three original judges, plus Ryan Seacrest on his show several times.

He would also talk frequently chat about Idol with this little person named "Eric the Midget," who is an Idol diehard fan. (Howard arranged for Dianna DeGarmo, Eric's crush, to come in studio.)

Anyways, Howard's chats with Eric kind of became popular they were so entertaining, in a way.

Listen here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vdSJrhvDElg

scout56

scout56

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

I have Never ONCE watched this show, but entered it on my DVR when I heard Haoward would be joining. I'm glad I did. He's so great at what he does!

BensBritches

BensBritches

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Never cared for Howard Stern, and wasn't thrilled when he was announced as Pier's replacement... but I have say I thought he was fun, fair and a great addition. I really enjoyed him and his more "relaxed" approach to the show, while still understanding it is a competition for a million dollar act.

As for the acts themselves, I was pretty meh on them. Liked the "earth harp" guy (well his music), but not really sure where he goes from there. Just hoping against hope another singer doesn't win this show and we can get a few cool, talented variety acts into the finals/winner's circle.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I'm another first-time watcher who wanted to see Howard cuz he can be so funny. Enjoyed it! and will watch again.

Re: the sideshow act - anyone know why the main guy's teeth looked like that? His lips and gums and some of his teeth were black?

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the show actively goes out and finds acts and gives then a free pass to the audition round.

Those three hillbilly opera singers - (or whatever they were from a few years back) - in an interview - stated that they were contacted by the producers of this show. Those guys were pissed when they got the boot.

Edited by PhPhan, May 15, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

First time viewer here and it's because of Howard Stern. I think 'Idol and The Voice' are boring because all they do is stand there and sing. This show has variety.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I like America's Got Talent because for good or bad, it's never boring or predictable. But America's (or Britain's Got Talent) was on in the late 70s.

It was called The Gong Show.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

How Howard Stern ended up as my favorite reality show judge, I do not know.

Liked the painters (I thought they were painting Howard, too!) and the impressionist. His act didn't knock my socks off but he was good, especially his expressions, and I got the feeling he did what he had to to get to Vegas and is saving some really good stuff for later.

I think the LCD(?) group would have been better if they had switched to a hip hop song/ballet moves midway through the act.

Singers bore me but I'm a sucker for Nessun Dorma so I was thrilled that Luis got through.

Granny G - I don't think she has a chance but I'd like to see her go all the way through just to entertain me personally.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I'm ready for Luis to go home. He sang Nessun Dorma fine. I wouldn't call it a stellar performance, but what brought him way down in my book is that his performance was SO STATIC. He never once moved from the spot he started on, and his face kept the same expression the entire time. Opera is performance. Music is part of it, but when you just Park & Bark you are really robbing the audience of the full experience. I expect we'll be forced to sit through him doing La Donna E Mobile and Vesti la Giubba if he sticks around. They're not bad songs at all. They wouldn't be famous if they were. Would it be the end of the world, though, if the people at home got to hear something that wasn't also being using in every car commercial?

I miss Prince Poppycock. He did those songs too, but he brought us into the story by making a show of it all. Costumes, expression, and the sense that he actually knew what those crazy foreigner words he was singing meant. That's what brought him to the finale. People will always be drawn to a guy like him over a singer who sings well but gives you absolutely nothing.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

I like Howard as a judge. I think the network needs to get over it. We all know he's there. All the extra "Howard is awesome" is getting old already.

I can't judge if opera is good or not. He sounded ok to me, but he needs to blink once in a while.

That showgirl/street performer dude sounded like Wolfman Jack.

The second group of dancing teenagers were more interesting than the first group. Neither group is a million dollar act.

I don't need to see Granny G again.

I liked the contortionist. Some of it was a little too much with the shoulder thing, but the rest was really good.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

For the most part the show is good so far but I am getting slightly annoyed by the camera work when they have introductions and go to the audience then it's like a different camera lens and they go in slight slow motion, they also do that with some contestant introductions before they go on stage

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

I'm not loving this new "quotes from the audience" bit they're editing in. I know it's supposed to seem as if we're overhearing live, impromptu observations, but it comes off as very stagey. Meh.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Apparently Nick isn't getting enough attention at home because he has to force himself into every camera shot available.

sunrisepink

sunrisepink

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I'm not loving this new "quotes from the audience" bit they're editing in.

I didn't understand the point of that either. A couple of times in a row they shot to some girl talking (I think she was wearing a white and black shirt) and I was like "who IS this?" lol.

I watched last night's episode solely for Howard because I've become a fan of his XM radio show in the past couple of years. I was pretty concerned about how he would appear because I knew that NBC would want him to be "controversial" and I wasn't sure if he'd try to live up to his reputation and try too hard and screw the whole thing up.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The cool thing about Howard is that he just seems to do his own thing regardless of what he's "supposed" to do, even if that means just being a normal, level-headed judge. He's being honest, refraining from hogging the spotlight, and giving the acts his full attention and respect. I like it.

The show in general also impressed me. Instead of stagnating at several series of auditions (like American Idol) there is plenty of editing and video montages to speed up the tempo. I found the show surprisingly upbeat and fast-paced for a 2-hour program. I'll be watching next week - I'm excited to see Stern's parents, who are often mentioned and featured on his show.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

I also don't care for the audience comments.

I like Howard Stern and I like his judging style. However, there was one thing that stood out for me: when he said that he had a book signing during which he signed 25,000 books in 10 hours. That would have meant he signed one book every 1.4 seconds if he signed continuously from start to finish, without pausing between books and without taking a break for food, drink, or bathroom.

Let's just say I'm skeptical of that claim.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I didn't like last night's show as much as Monday's.

I have no idea why the producers insist on having the audience scream through all the judges' comments! You know that's all edited in -- one audience member from another year said that at the beginning of the session, the producers ask the audience to scream, stand, boo etc. and then they edit those "responses" in when they want.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

Opera is performance. Music is part of it, but when you just Park & Bark you are really robbing the audience of the full experience.

Would it kill these guys to sing in English? Or have a screen with English captioning like I've seen some opera companies do on TV? Most people in the U.S. don't speak Italian, so if that's what you're going to sing, yes, you need to do a lot more than just stand there and belt out the lyrics.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

HaHaHa. I actually said to my dh.... Where's the Gong?"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I only saw the last half hour of last night's show due to the vagaries of my DVR & having outside plans.

I wasn't too impressed with the Joe Cocker soundalike. He's 50 w/a girlfriend & 3 week old baby, but onstage he said he raised 4 kids. I wonder how much raising he did and how much he was out drunk. I really wished there could have been a camera on his wife and (probably) adult children as they saw his edit.

Bendy Homeless Guy was cool, but I would have loved seeing more of his feet magic and less of his shoulder dislocation. And I know I'm outing myself as old and not hip, but if you're going to dance shirtless, pull up your damned pants! I don't want to see your grey (I hope they were grey and not just filthy white) underwear.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I didn't like last night as much as Monday's show; I was bored except for a few acts. I liked the painters and the impressionist, but like another poster said, I think he's saving his best impressions for later. I also liked the contortionist but I agree that he needs to use his feet more.

I knew Granny G would make it through to Vegas and it's nice that she'll be able to have fun and play the nickel slots, but I don't need to see her after Vegas. Same for the opera singer.

I love Nick but the producers need to stop him from clowning around with the rejects. Once or twice was cute but it's getting to be kind of annoying now. Get the rejects off stage ASAP.

slinkywarrior

slinkywarrior

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I wish that they would drop the Vegas headlining thing. If the talent has to hold your interest for 60 minutes, that eliminates just about everybody except singing, dancing and comedy. There are plenty of singing shows, I'd rather see other talents win.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

I like Howard Stern and I like his judging style. However, there was one thing that stood out for me: when he said that he had a book signing during which he signed 25,000 books in 10 hours. That would have meant he signed one book every 1.4 seconds if he signed continuously from start to finish, without pausing between books and without taking a break for food, drink, or bathroom.

Stern likes to exaggerate a lot. Remember, he's the "King of All Media" -- when that term is more perfectly suited for Ryan Seacrest these days.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

HaHaHa. I actually said to my dh.... Where's the Gong?"

The gong required judges to put some physical effort into giving somebody the thumbs down.

sunrisepink

sunrisepink

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

I have no idea why the producers insist on having the audience scream through all the judges' comments!

I can't stand this either. Is it supposed to add to the "energy"?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I also don't care for the audience comments.

Numbers like that are tossed around a lot.

The truth is, a LOT of the books are pre-signed. That total no doubt is for the whole event (they probably didn't even have to be sold that day, just left with that bookseller).

marketdoctor

marketdoctor

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

If hiring Howard Stern is a ratings stunt, it's working, Ratings were impressive against stiff competition (new episodes/some season finales.)
I was wrong, and I'm happy for NBC's sake he's working out for them--I hope it continues to work out.

That said, I've been to book signings where 1.4 seconds/signature seems about accurate (though "no food or bathroom breaks" seems less so). Doing a lot of the books pre-signed would make it much easier, but it probably felt like 25,000 to him.

Although I want to see more non singing/dancing/comic acts too, that's what people vote for, so that's what we tend to get. A social media campaign MIGHT break that trend, but they'd need to be really good at both their talent AND at getting votes.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Would it kill these guys to sing in English? Or have a screen with English captioning like I've seen some opera companies do on TV? Most people in the U.S. don't speak Italian, so if that's what you're going to sing, yes, you need to do a lot more than just stand there and belt out the lyrics.

It wouldn't be difficult at all for AGT to get a supertitle machine for the show. They are able to put captions up for all the performers when it is time to vote, but they apparently can't put the translations for the songs on the screen.

Performing some English songs wouldn't be difficult either. There are operas out there written in English that are pretty amazing, many of which could win some love from the audience at home. They'd just need to work on their diction. I've heard plenty of people who sing English and have you wondering what language you're listening to.

Not that this will matter. This contestant will continue to stand there, singing the three most famous tenor arias and giving us absolutely no clue that the sad clown has made up his mind to kill his wife during their show that night for having an affair. Not exactly something you want to be standing on your feet cheering for. Vesti la Giubba is powerful in an entirely different way.