America's Got Talent

• Please log in to reply

5883 replies to this topic

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Apr 11, 2006 @ 3:54 PM

"America's Got Talent" is Simon Cowell's version of "Star Search." Singers, dancers, and comedians compete for a $1 million prize. Cowell and several other people "American Idol" are behind "America's Got Talent," which will have the winner chosen by viewer voting.

The series premiere is Wednesday, June 21 at 8 p.m. - 10 p.m. ET/PT. After that, the show moves to its regular time slot of Wednesdays at 9 p.m. - 10 p.m. ET/PT. The voting results episodes will be shown on Thursdays at 8:30 - 9 p.m. ET/PT, beginning July 13.

This Web page has details on auditions for the show.

Gdawg27

Gdawg27

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

Has anybody tried out for this? I'm curious about the audition process.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 11:07 AM

I have no information, but in the preview clips from the commercial, I could swear I saw Tori Thompson, one of the sisters from American Juniors. Anyone else see it?

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

Just what America needs: More Regis.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Not sure if this will be a spoiler or not:

This is from the web page from Vance Gilbert, an incredibly talented folk singer/songwriter that I know of:

"Hi everyone,

So I went to NY on a whim as directed by my agent to audition for this upcoming NBC talent show "America 's Got Talent". It's in the mold of American Idol, even having Simon Cowell as a producer. Difference is that it can be ANY kind of act - jugglers, knife throwers, dancers, singers, dog/human acts - a wider swipe of the performance spectrum. I guess it went well for me because I get to, as they say on AI, "Go to Hollywood" the top of June.
We'll see what happens....wish me luck...

AWWWWW.... got a call today that they won't be using me on the show, as they're going in another direction. Dagnabbit!!.......... and I had that million bucks all spent already....."

Their loss. I have no idea what that "other direction" is that they refer to. My guess is that Vance won't even be shown.

Pixigal

Pixigal

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 2:04 PM

I'm curious as to what the age range is. I did go to the web site but I couldn't find this anywhere although there is a point about contestants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent. This is such a wide, eclectic category.

Hunterbunter

Hunterbunter

Just Tuned In

Posted May 27, 2006 @ 7:06 AM

Not sure if this is what you want to know but in the press junket Simon said you can be 2 or 100.
Kids that we saw at auditions I'll spolier it but no idea if any make it to the show ~
7year old Fast Pitch Softball Phenom throwing 40mph
3 year old dressed like a 1800's kid no idea what he was doing other than running Mom raggid
8 year old Blind Drummer
6 year old stand up comic
Dance troups of kids doing everything from Hip hop to Line dancing
Lots of kiddy singers and dancers
A young man that does Xtreme card manipulation was in NY I think

Adults ~
The usual Elvis impersonators *Yawn*
Two diffrent cities have ballon artists my favorite the lady in Miami that had her Carmen Maranda ballon hat and a bag of other stuff one of which looked like a frog making an indecent pose
9508 in Miami evil jerk that thought it was funny to tell a kid before he went in that he was going to break the kids neck he says he is singing never heard him warm up just annoy and harrass everyone there
Two ladies dressed up like the Little Mermaid
several real dancers and quite a few that must have thought they had a pole in the audition room *hint Victoria Secret does NOT sell dance clothes girls*
Lots and Lots and Lots of normal looking singers most good from what I could hear of their warm-ups but on these shows to make it on the air you have to be the best or the worst

How the auditions worked not like Idol where there is an open casting and then you move on to the show judges with a your going or not. Auditoned then told you would hear back in a month. Some that have auditioned in LA and New York and a few Chicagos have posted about call backs on the Unoffical AGT Fan site and contestant posting forum They added Miami and San Fransico Audiotions to an already over burdened staff that from reports are behind in viewing the open call tapes as well as the huge influx of taped auditions. The promos have shots from X factor and So you think you can Dance as well as LA auditions.
Host is Regis
Judges~ Brandy, David Hasselhof and the manditory Piers for the british input.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted May 28, 2006 @ 10:14 AM

American Idol's Trenyce tried out for this show. I have no idea why.

Hunterbunter

Hunterbunter

Just Tuned In

Posted May 28, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

Point To It might have been asked to or dind't get enough air time on AI?

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

The promos for this show are driving me crazy. Here are my problems with the show.

1. It has Brandy and Hasslehoff.

2. Maybe I'm way off but it seems soooo pointless to have a general talent competition. I don't see how someone who just juggles or does something else but singing is going to win. It just seems like it's going to have all these people doing all these different crazy things then eventually it's going to turn into a watered down version of American Idol.

3. Simon Cowell. I don't have a problem with the guy but I find it idiotic that producers think they can put his name on a show and people will tune in. I mean what's the point if he's not on it?

4. The name. "America's Got Talent". It sounds like a prime setup to a sarcastic zinger.

Like-

"No it dosen't."

amityisland

amityisland

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 2:49 PM

1. It has Brandy and Hasslehoff.

It'll all be worth it if he cries again - cry, Hasselhoff, cry!

GoodThings

GoodThings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:15 AM

It really looks like an updated "Gong Show" to me. The judges look like they have strikes to award and three strikes and you're out. It competes with So You Think You Can Dance, another AI producer (wonder what Nigel thinks of that?), and I'll be watching that, thank you very much!

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:25 AM

It'll all be worth it if he cries again - cry, Hasselhoff, cry!

If he weren't a judge, maybe he could've competed with crying on cue as his skill.

Capt Clownfish

Capt Clownfish

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 10:57 AM

Only going by the commercials I've seen, I hate this show.

The "judges" seem to be looking for just another generic pop singer, and have no appreciation for any "talent" that does not fit their concept of marketability.

Playing a musical saw is different and difficult, people! Expand your musical sensibilities to consider the idea that just because YOU haven't come across any saw players at your frou-frou Hollywood galas does not mean the guy should be ridiculed!

And then gushing over that cute girl who sounds exactly like every other bubble-gum pop diva-ette. Disgusting and narrow-minded.

(I know I am not the target audience. I have never even watched a full episode of "American Idol," I listen to Big Bands and Mozart in the car, and I haven't bought a cd in over ten years.)

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 3:48 PM

Regis kills everything. I might've been interested in watching this otherwise. There's a really cheap show (I think it's local to SoCal) called America's Low-Budget Superstar, which is the same thing but really low budget and the judging looks at least direct and sensible. I'll stick to that for background noise with this kind of show while I read the paper. The. puncuated. voice. of. Regis. would. DRIVE. ME. INSANE!

Fluffy Malone

Fluffy Malone

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:46 PM

It really looks like an updated "Gong Show" to me. The judges look like they have strikes to award and three strikes and you're out.

Yup, that was my take on it as well. Early on it was hard to decipher what the hell it was, but when they started showing the ads with the three strikes, it looked very much like a rehashed Gong Show.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

The series premiere is Wednesday, June 21 at 8 p.m. - 10 p.m. ET/PT. After that, the show moves to its regular time slot of Wednesdays at 9 p.m. - 10 p.m. ET/PT. The voting results episodes will be shown on Thursdays at 8:30 - 9 p.m. ET/PT, beginning July 13.

Just checked the scheduling for the show on my television, it says it'll be screening from 9 - 11 EST. From the sound of it, I don't think too many people would be upset if they missed the first hour of the premiere (or the whole premiere), but just thought I'd update everyone in case you do care. ;)

That said, I'm semi-interested. It won't conflict with anything else that I watch (Big Brother is on at 8), so I can give it a go. And it looks alright to me. Sure it's employing two of the most obnoxious people in all of showbusiness (Regis and Hasselhoff), but we'll see what happens.

On a sidenote, does anyone else think of 'Adult Entertainment' when watching the adverts for the show and they flash the XXX. Just me?

Edited by Stinger97, Jun 20, 2006 @ 7:52 PM.

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 12:59 AM

Am I the only one who likes the jugglers and one-man bands over that girl who sang Whitney? OVERRATED. Please, Katharine McPhee was better than her! At least the jugglers are funny and interesting.

BlackViking

BlackViking

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 3:25 PM

The title of this show reminds me of Eddie Murphy's Raw, in the beginning when little Eddie tells his joke and his uncle (Sam Jackson I think) says "That Boy's Got Talent!"

It does look like a rehashed gong show, I'm hoping for an Unknown Comic sighting. I hold off judgement, but I really don't want to see Hasselhoff doing Night Rider jokes. Ugh. Oh well.

Gdawg27

Gdawg27

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 7:58 PM

My band was going to go to the NY auditions until we got an email saying that all bands had to perform acoustically (due to the logistical problems they had at the LA auditions). I was completely against trying out because I kept telling my bandmates that there was no way we were going to get anywhere on this show except ridiculed and that it was probably going to be like "The Gong Show". So far it looks like my feelings were correct.

ednakrabapel

ednakrabapel

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

Hasselhoff had to be drunk.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

Just watched it. I think "America's Got Talent" has got some problems. Some acts got X'd before they even got started, which seemed really unfair. They should have at least, oh, I dunno, 30 seconds? A minute? A minimum amount of time to actually DO something before getting kicked off.

Also, having kids mixed in with adults is kind of unfair. Very few adults are willing to be honest with kids and tell them if they suck, so the kids don't have to be as good as the adults to get a pass.

Add to that the fact that these judges aren't qualified. Ok, maybe Brandy is qualified to judge singers, and Hasselhoff could judge . . . chest hair? That other dude, the British one, I don't know what his area of expertise is. Anyone know? Whatever. The show's scope is too broad to be fair, because they don't have judges that understand these acts and what goes into them well enough to judge them.

Although, the upside of that is that America probably doesn't understand either, and maybe if your talent is only appreciated by a very small percentage of the population then you don't deserve a million dollars. If you do something offbeat, unusual, then make it relatable to people who aren't familiar with it, like the ventriloquist with the bird puppets.

The worst problem with the show though is the time wasted on the stinkers. Why show us so many really horrible acts, and then tell us at the end of the show "Oh, we didn't have time to show you these other people who made it through, but here are their names." Just show the really good ones, and save the bad ones for the website for people who really want to see that crap.

To me, it was worth watching for the quartet of singer/beat boxers, the puppet guy, and the shirtless juggler guy. The juggling critiques were the one thing I think the judges got right. I know a bit about juggling. Yes, the other juggler (the one who didn't drop anything) did a good job, he's very good juggler. But that's not enough anymore, really. It needs to be a performance, not just "Look at these tricks I can do." It's like the difference between singing scales in vocal class and performing an actual song on stage.

I'll probably keep watching, I can Tifaux it and I have a lot of downtime on the weekends.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 10:32 PM

Hasselhoff had to be high! Man, what an incredible freak show! Of course I loved Methuselah the stripper - dude was crazy.

Oddly enough, the best part of the show was them hitting each others buzzers. I was cracking up at some of them, when Brandy or the British dude were reaching over and hitting other people's buzzers.

Sid the Kid was pretty swell, but her jokes were too adult. She's no Lil J.J., that's for sure. Her momma was laughing *way* too hard too.

They really need to reduce the juggle content of the show, though. I think I've had 2x my rda, thanks.

No way in ..uh...heaven the gospel guy with the ghastly grill should have made it through. The 14 year-old singer shouldn't have made it either.

Rappin Gramma? No. Ever. This is not DBAMTSSWDYJINH.

...Though two freestyle battling, rapping grammas...now that would have been quality entertainment, man.

bartsboy

bartsboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 10:36 PM

Worst. Talent. Show. Ever. Period. At least with The Gong Show, you knew they were playing it for laughs. This show takes itself seriously. The judges put through to the next round a guy who plays bicycle horns, yet cut others off practically as soon as they started their act. There is no need for Regis to even be here. He did nothing other than call contestants from the audience. For a moment, I was expecting someone to shout "Come on down!" If the judges can press each other's "X" button, why bother at all? The Brit kept jumping in to "X" when Brandy and Hasselhof didn't react the way he wanted them to. I don't mean to be a prude, but where are the parents who permit these kids to do material that is not age-appropriate? I especially disliked the 8-year-old stand up comedian. She should not be talking about women's big breasts and butts. I don't think I'd want my 14 year old daughter singing Whitney Houston songs, either. NBC needs to pull the plug on this train wreck.

kevsing

kevsing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 10:37 PM

Man, that was looooong.

The funniest part was when that man(I forget what his talent was-whistling?) went off on the judges. To Brandy: "When was the last time you had a hit record?" Brandy got all flustered and defensive. "I'm going to, just wait!" Ha!

Basically, they're just looking for a singer. They'll let some of the novelty acts get through, but I think when it comes down to it, this show is a wannabe AI. I did not think the "I Have Nothing" girl was that great. She was not hitting the money notes. FauxSimon was wrong on that part. I didn't understand the hoopla.

The "Sid the Kid" girl was awesome! Her timing was just perfection. "I love being black, but...Why are we all so fat?" The way she said that was so funny. She was my fav.

I don't understand why the judges push their X buttons, and then vote. Isn't that kind of redundant? And I got really annoyed with the judges pressing each other buttons. That was irritating.

All in all, I think this is this summer's Fame: A watered down version of AI that's entertaining enough if nothing else is on, but it won't return for another season.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

Hasselhoff should have just entered the competition himself with this.

BetJo

BetJo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:09 AM

The show's scope is too broad to be fair, because they don't have judges that understand these acts and what goes into them well enough to judge them.

I think this is the biggest reason this show will not make it. And the Brit that clicks on the other's X's. Wow, that would make me really mad . . . leave my X alone !!

I watched half of this show and that's it for me.......

NurseyPoo

NurseyPoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:24 AM

Hasselhoff should have just entered the competition himself with this.

Thank you Cherry Wire... watching that Hasselhoff music video made sitting through two hours of bird trainers, rappin grams, jugglers, and pony shadow dancers worthwhile.

I am a glutton and will probably watch the show again next week. I really liked the four guys who sang the Bill Withers song, the ventriloquist, and the dog trainer (even though I have seen him on animal planet).

This summer TV season sucks, thank goodness for Meerkat Manor.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:38 AM

Wow, that sucked.

I didn't know anything about this show before tuning in, just that it was from Simon Cowell, and it was going to feature all kinds of talent. I was thinking dancers, singers, and comedians. People who really could find widespread success someday. Instead, I saw mostly weird novelty acts. This is just a new version of The Gong Show. Also, Brandi makes Paula from American Idol look hard-nosed. She rang her buzzer one time out of "peer pressure"? Way to have the courage of your convictions. Some of the acts I really did find at least interesting, but that was mitigated by all of the crap acts in between that got through to the next round, therefore promoting the general cheesiness of this show.

PurpleGlitter

PurpleGlitter

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 12:39 AM

I saw the woman with the parrot on Animal Planet, she did the same act and that was about 4 years ago. She got to the finals, and competed again with the exact same act.