The Office Fanfic: Some People Like These

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

19319 replies to this topic

larrymcg421

larrymcg421

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2006 @ 11:34 PM

Some fanfic discussion has been creeping up in other threads, so I thought we should get a thread started solely for fanfic.

I'll start off with two recommendations:

When All is Said and Done

Distance

Both of these are extremely well written and moving JAM stories. The last sentence of both of them really gets to me.

Edited by larrymcg421, Apr 7, 2006 @ 11:43 PM.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 12:54 AM

Larrymcg, don't laugh at me... but I couldn't read past the first few sentences of When All is Said and Done. I started to get all blushy and flustered as soon as I read "naked body" and I had to bail.

Jesus, people. It has been twenty-five years since I've been a teenager. Why does this relationship make me feel this way?

Aaaanyways, I enjoyed Distance. The characters felt real. The only problem with reading fanfic is that it makes me worry I'm getting my hopes up that things will work out for Jam.

on edit: Okay, I steeled myself and read When All is Said and Done. Wow... that was good. I'm glad I did. And now I'll be in my bunk.

Edited by LiberryLady, Apr 8, 2006 @ 1:13 AM.

larrymcg421

larrymcg421

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 1:13 AM

Heh, if the beginning of that made you get "all blushy and flustered", wait until you read the rest of it. There's some stuff going on in that fic.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 1:41 AM

I haven't been an avid fanfiction reader for a long, long time but the Office has got me into it again. The eff?

Everything by this author is incredible, but Canary is my absolute favorite Office fic ever. Chills whenever I read it. Chills.

Couple of others I just thought of:

Lunchtime - This, I think, is written by one of our very own posters. Jim POV, spot on characterization, completely heartbreaking.

as you seem to do these days - Angsty angst! Yum.

Edited by Kai, Apr 8, 2006 @ 1:59 AM.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 8:02 AM

Man, I haven't written (or even read) any fanfiction in years! Not since Season 6 of Buffy. But I've been thinking about it for The Office. Hmmm

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 9:01 AM

Wow. I just read Canary. I liked that. And When All is Said and Done, LiberryLady, really doesn't get too graphic. It's sweet. Canary, however - very graphic. But well done.

troycrazy8

troycrazy8

Fanatic

• Interests:Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Zachary Levi, Owain Yeoman, Jamie Bamber, Wentworth Miller, Kyle Chandler, David Boreanaz, Tahmoh Penikett, Lee Pace, John Krasinski, Paul Adelstein, Scott Patterson, Matthew Fox, Goran Visnjic, Eric Close, George Eads.<br /><br />Need I say more?

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 9:26 AM

YES!!! I'm so glad larry started this thread! Canary is amazing. Wow wow wow. Please post more!

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 9:40 AM

This one is my favorite. A New Life

A lot of you may have already checked it out because I recommended it a few weeks ago, but if you missed it, it's great.

And I don't think it spoils Canary for anyone if I tell you that this -

"What?" he said. "What do you want? Anything. Anything, please."

may just be the hottest thing I've ever read. And I read a lot of crappy romance.

Edited by Pixel, Apr 8, 2006 @ 9:43 AM.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 10:34 AM

"What?" he said. "What do you want? Anything. Anything, please."

Oh, mama.

And When All is Said and Done, LiberryLady, really doesn't get too graphic. It's sweet.

eta: See, here's the thing,Pixel. Although I'm crushing on the character of Jim like I'm a teen-ager, I'm also a grown-up woman. I can fill in the blanks, you know? So as soon as I read anything naked-y, it's like I'm really seeing it, or, feeling it. After I read Canary, I went into the kitchen, and the LiberryLord talked to me for only about fifteen seconds before he asked, "Are you okay?" "I was just reading fanfic," I told him, "and now my palms are all sweaty."

Edited by LiberryLady, Apr 8, 2006 @ 11:54 AM.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 11:49 AM

Yeah, see...chills!

Couple more:

Four Things That Never Happened To Jim and Pam | This is an answer to a challenge to write about things that never happened or will happen on the show. It's four perfect mini-fics, great characterization and very original situations without being annoyingly AU.

Pet and Gratitude | More by the author of Canary. And this very short piece by her that stuck with me long after I read it. She writes the sexual tension and longing between Jim and Pam so well. SO well.

Deer Jerky | Jim and Pam...occasionally Dwight. Great banter here. Funny and sweet.

Dinner and a Show | More of the good!

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 12:02 PM

Oh..I loved A New Life. I'm glad we have this thread, because I refuse to just go to FF.net and look up Jam stories...so many of them are so bad, and I'm a terrible snob about grammar, etc. So I really rely on recommendations. Thanks. I can't believe I'm back to reading Fanfiction again!

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

LiberryLady , I get what you're saying. I usually try to peruse the fanfic after everybody else goes to bed, so Mr. Pixel doesn't catch me blushing and ask me why.

I usually hate fanfiction. I think it's stupid, really. But a lot of these Jim/Pam ones are really good, and it fills in the gaps while we wait through a week with no episodes, and two more weeks of reruns. I don't mind the reruns, it's just that I'm dying for this stuff to progress.

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 2:03 PM

Ok, so I've never been a fan fiction kind of person. Even with my Buffy and Spike love, I still kind of wanted to be innocent about it in a way. But I'm so glad I have you guys to tell me which JAM stories to read! I read A New Life a few weeks ago, which was good. But today I read Canary and When All is Said and Done and DAMN if those weren't awesome. Canary did get a bit more graphic than I normally like, especially with Roy. But the Pam/Jim moments were sooo good. Seriously, my stomach got all tied up in knots. The "Anything" line was so perfect. I think my favorite part was when he asked to kiss her again and then kissed her neck below her ear. I melted at the thought of my "Jim" kissing me like that. Not sure if I should spoil that, but erring on the side of caution for those who still want to read it.

Keep up the recommendations--those are the only ones I'll read.

K-town girl

K-town girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 4:58 PM

Darn! I thought I was going to find Dwight's BSG fanfic here!

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 8:21 PM

I usually try to peruse the fanfic after everybody else goes to bed, so Mr. Pixel doesn't catch me blushing and ask me why.

Pixel honey, you need to go wake up Mr. Pixel after reading this stuff. He won't be sorry.

This stuff is like crack. Thanks for starting the thread, Larry!

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:12 AM

I usually don't read fanfic...I actually came in this thread just to give props to the title of the thread. It's perfect!

But now, reading through all your comments, I'm getting intrigued. Can I handle some Jam fanfic? The only other fanfic I've ever read and enjoyed was the so-called "Thoogie" slash after the Athens Olympics. *still blushing....and smiling*

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

I actually came in this thread just to give props to the title of the thread.

ISeutLaBrune, I got that it has a double meaning - "Some People Like These" and "Some People Like These" - but does it also have an Office meaning? Am I being dense?

Can I handle some Jam fanfic?

Well, it threw me at first, but... I feel like before reading these I was a fanfic virgin, and now I'm a fanfic slut. I cannot stop reading Canary.

Masala

Masala

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:21 PM

Liberrylady, I think 'Some people like these' is what Angela said after she chose Toby's poster gift in Christmas Party. The poster that Kelly got due to Yankee Swap, I believe. The poster which had two babies dressed up as adults playing saxophones?

Edited by Masala, Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:24 PM.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:45 PM

Gotcha, Masala. I've watched Christmas Party less than the other episodes despite the teapot; the LiberryLord hates it because Michael makes Angela cry. (He really likes Angela. What does that say about me?)

Did our thread-starter, LarryMcG, not do some fanfic? I could swear I saw that name somewhere else. Link away!

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 2:59 PM

I cannot stop reading Canary.

Liberry Lady, I'm with ya. I haven't read it again, but just remembering some of the key moments just makes me giddy. I need me a Jim right now!!

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

...just remembering some of the key moments just makes me giddy

Giddy. I hear you, Boof. What makes the fanfic so powerful is that we are seeing stuff we are never going to see on the show. Even if (when!) Pam and Jim get together, the most we will probably see is a stolen kiss in the breakroom, or some making out in the car as seen from Michael's office window. We are never going to get to hear Jim's sex voice, so I'm getting my fix this way.

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 5:44 PM

Guys, I can't get Canary out of my head either. Seriously, the person who wrote that would have a fantastic career in romance writing. I would be first in line to buy a book buy him/her.

Also, PeskiPiksi's got a new one up - Sneak Preview. It's nice - not graphic, LiberryLady!

Edited by Pixel, Apr 9, 2006 @ 6:05 PM.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 7:20 PM

Now that's the way it should happen. Well, we can always hope.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 9:25 PM

It's nice - not graphic, LiberryLady!

Oh, I'm over that, Pixel. :) Once I read Canary, I realized this fanfic fills a need I'm not going to get met on the show. Bring on the graphic, I say!

I liked that. I liked that Roy wasn't an asshole. There has to be a reason Pam and Roy are together, and it must be more than inertia. And we discussed this in the E-Mail Surveillance and Camera Guys threads, didn't we -- that the Camera Guys are big ole shippers? As JodithGrace said, it's the way it should happen.

DementedRiku

DementedRiku

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

I loved 'Sneak Preview'! I could so see that as being how it might go! I like the whole "camera guys care about the Jam relationship."

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 10:56 PM

I haven't been an avid fanfiction reader for a long, long time but the Office has got me into it again. The eff?

Same here. Not since the late 90s, heydays of The X-Files, have I read fanfic. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'm very picky about writing so I often can't stomach going through a lot of really poorly written fics to get to the good stuff. I can't wait to read them all.

Heh, if the beginning of that made you get "all blushy and flustered", wait until you read the rest of it. There's some stuff going on in that fic.

Ah, smut fic! ;) In the X-Files fanfic community, there was a category of smutty fic that came to be known as PWP (i.e., Plot? What Plot?). At least, these fics appear to have a plot. Hee.

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

PWP--I like that! Though with these, I do like that they seem to remain true to the characters. Plus, as someone noted, it is our chance to "see" what we probably never will--Jim and Pam's acknowledgement of feelings, first kiss, first...well, you know how the list progresses. If anything, we'd get giddy smiles after the fact. (Which I would be just fine with!!)

I just read Sneak Preview and I did like that a lot, too. At first I thought I had the wrong fanfic--I was like "who is Jeff?" But what I did like about it was that it took into account what a lot of us have been saying that Pam needs some "Pam time" before she and Jim hook up (which they will....right? Right?). Sigh....

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 11:39 PM

If anything, we'd get giddy smiles after the fact.

Goodness, I was raving about Jim's smile when Pam just complimented his teeth, can you imagine what we'd see "after"?

[Sneak Preview] took into account what a lot of us have been saying that Pam needs some "Pam time" ...

Yes, the date five weeks out was adorable, and necessary.

larrymcg421

larrymcg421

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 12:14 AM

I didn't want to pimp my own work, but since LiberryLady asked:

Say Anything

This is just a short JAM fic. I'm currently working on a couple of other ideas. I needed to get a quick JAM story out of my system before I could write anything else.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 12:33 AM

I have never read fanfic's before and it never occured to me to read them. However, the slightest thing Office related has me paying attention.

I'm really enjoying the ones posted---Canary was really well written and so engrossing. I couldn't believe how into it I was---I couldn't scroll down quickly enough.

I loved Sneak Preview! It felt very true to the characters and I just loved the bit about Jim picking Pam up at 7pm, 5 weeks from now. Cute.

Honestly, this show has me obsessed like Buffy, The Simpsons and Veroinca Mars. I just can't get enough! I never would have predicted it.