Simpsons Made Me Do It: The Influence of This Show

• Please log in to reply

1253 replies to this topic

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 10:53 PM

What sort of things do you say or do that come from this show?

When I mess up I say "D'oh!"

When I mock someone I make like Nelson and say "Ha! Ha!"

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 11:36 PM

Quoting or emulating Homer's stupidity is always good for a laugh. I was hanging out with some friends once and the news featured a story about a bank robber who wore a suit. the anchorperson explained that he was being referred to as " The Dapper Bandit ". I adopted Homer's simple-minded but sure of himself tone and said " Dapper ... that means he's fat. "

And I don't wanna know someone who's never responded to news of their favorite food being served with a dazed " MMmmMM ... ( insert food here ) "

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Too much to mention, too detail to mention. The sickest thing is I wish it was common lines like "Doh," "Haha," or "Mmmmm." Not saying I don't do that but I tend to throw in so many full phrases or monologues into my everyday conversation.

Most recently, most embarassingly, I was with my girlfriend and long story short I had to say "Where are my pants?" to which I immediately replied (yes it was said by myself to myself): "You threw them out the window. You said you'd never need them again." And she's not a Simpsons addict.

Chaotic Blue

Chaotic Blue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:13 AM

"Mmm...<something>.." and "D'oh" are classics.. I use them all the time. "Oh, that's bad" and "Oh, that's good" are also used often, as well as random quotes that just fits the moment. What makes it even more sad is that I don't even live in a english-speaking country..

Edited by Chaotic Blue, Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:28 AM.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:42 AM

* Bart's " EEP ! " when caught doing something he shouldn't

* "Yoink ! " used when stealing something or taking the last of something that is in short supply.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 11:11 AM

Whenever there is anything involving the FCC, I say to myself, "Will somebody please think of the children?!"

jessicajason

jessicajason

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 5:37 PM

We do "Yoink!", "D'oh!", "Ha ha!" (and often "I said 'ha ha!' "), and "Mmm...<whatever>", plus we also call our oldest son The Boy, even though all three of our kids are boys.

chunkyrice13

chunkyrice13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 5:38 PM

Ok, so the senoir class at my school is supposed to collect money and get the school something it needs (at least in theory: class of '77 gave a big rock that says "77"). During the long, boring, everyone-is there-only-for-the-free-pizza meeting about what stupid thing to give, someone yelled out "Monorail!"

Everyone got it. It was clear code for: we are spending money dumbly, and our group is herdlike. Awesome.

Edited by chunkyrice13, Mar 29, 2006 @ 5:39 PM.

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 1:46 PM

I saw a dead possum on the side of the road while riding in my friend's car a while back. Since he only watches the show once in a while, I had to explain what I meant when I said "Poor Bitey!"

Backstagebear

Backstagebear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 1:52 PM

After something happens where a group of us is caught up in laughter, as the laughter dies down, I like to say, "heh, heh. Mule." Usually gets us going again.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 2:21 PM

I use Mr. Burns' "Yes, that'll do." all the time and for some reason, I love saying Homer's "A lot of blue hair? Heh, heh what a freak!"

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 3:07 PM

Whenever there is a meeting and someone brings doughnuts, it is always good for "Doughnuts. Is there nothing they can't do?"

jennblevins

jennblevins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 3:35 PM

"Can't sleep, ______ will eat me!" Even if I'm not trying to sleep at the time.

Sometimes I just give up an say 'clown', even though they don't generally bother me.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 7:17 AM

I use "doh!" "mmmmm...(food, drink, other naughty things)....drool" and of course "yoink!" too darn much.

Speaking of 'darn', this rolls around every year during Lent: I valiantly attempt to not curse (I have to give something up, right??) and so I insert various diddly's and other Flanderisms into my vocabulary. Like "son of a...diddly!" :0)

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 9:06 AM

Whenever I’m trying to (*ahem*) ‘put the moves’ on Mrs.Smith I always tell her that my shirt’s chaffing me. It usually makes her laugh.

We also keep on the lookout for dogs with puffy tails (although not so much for our exact doubles) so we can yell “here puf-puff.”

I also refer to Our Lord only as Jeebus.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

"I'm hungry" is officially "Me so hungy" in our house. Anecdote is an amusing Antidote, and Macadamia nut is Macamadamia nut. That last one is a real problem, because I'm not sure if I can even say it the right way anymore.

Joe Normal

Joe Normal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

I was sitting on the bench during a league basketball game when one of my teammates airballed a free throw (something that we've all surely done, but is incredibly rare when you are trying to make the shot plus the added embarrassment of a fair number of witnesses). There was an awkward silence afterwards, and I turned to my fellow benchmate and uttered:

"I'm not going to lie to you. A lot of people saw that."

He laughed so hard I thought he would plotz. After I explained the context from the episode he said he didn't watch The Simpsons. I was shocked, then angry, then a little sleepy. Anyway...good times.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

Oh my god. My fiancee and I are both Simpsons fanatics, and the in-jokes are relentless. We don't do Bart, but every three words out of my mouth are: "D'oh!" "Mmmmmmmm...{food product}" or "Mmmmmm....{noun}-alicious." In the Cletus thread, I've already mentioned how "Gimme back my belly fruit!" is already a long-standing inside joke for us.

Just today, she went out of the house on the way to a boring corporate lecture, fully intending to write "Lisa Simpson" on her name tag, and goof off. When I asked her what she'd say if somebody said she wasn't this Lisa Simpson person, she replied: "I'm not Lisa Simpson. I don't play the saxamaphone."

Maybe you should avoid us until the series ends.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 1:30 PM

I've got a few:

"Me so hungy" (a general favorite it seems)
"All for Silas! All for Silas!
Nelson's "Ha-hah!"

and one I plan on using a lot in the future:

"Hillbilly Bugger Boys"

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 2:23 PM

"I'm not Lisa Simpson. I don't play the saxamaphone."

Does she play the tubamabob instead?

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 2:38 PM

Not if she wants me to stick around.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 3:13 PM

Oh my word, IdesOfSmarch, you are so damn cool.

Hrm, Simpsonisms I use in daily life:
"I'm cold, and there are wolves after me!" is McKaybonics for "I'm cold and/or tired and cranky. Feel sorry for me!"
I use "Jebus" a lot. And when I'm freaking out, I will occasionally drop to the ground, roll and chant "ohgodohgodohgod." This one largely depends on where I am.
I can't thank anyone normally. I inevitably say "Thank you, come again!" with a (horrible) Indian accent.
"It's like looking in a living snow mirror!" comes up a lot, although it doesn't really mean anything. It just makes me laugh.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 3:27 PM

"I'm cold, and there are wolves after me!"

I love that one from Grandpa, but we use a variation, a little snippet from Thornton Wilder's "The Skin of Our Teeth": in Act I, the Ice Age is approaching and there's a dinosaur scratching at the window of the Antrobus household. Whenever we're freezing and/or tired and cranky, one of us does the scratching motion and says, in a tiny voice: "It's cold."

tonks

tonks

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 4:36 PM

I like this thread topic!

A favorite of mine (which can be used in most any food-related situation): 'I could see eating this. I really could!'

And a topical one for when April 15th rolls around: 'Taxes are bad. The finger thing means the taxes."

And something that can be added to most anything 'its going to be better than ten SuperBowls!'

Edited by tonks, Mar 31, 2006 @ 6:07 PM.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 7:41 PM

Upon receiving some very bad news today, I actually said, "It feels like someone gave my heart a wedgie." And you know? It really, really does. Shame they cut that line (from Bart's Friend Falls in Love.) I think it's great.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

Certain songs make me think of the Simpsons.

Hot Blooded brings to mind when Apu went to sew his wild oats after he told his mother he was already married.

When the song Rock and Roll part two comes on I think of Homer daydreaming at Selma's wedding to Troy Mclure.

When I have to think hard about something the song Turkey in the straw comes to my mind.

Once at the doctors office they were showing Mary Poppins and I sang to myself, "If you cut every corner then it's really not that bad..."

Edited by VersesBatman, Mar 31, 2006 @ 11:46 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 8:38 PM

"Sweet merciful crap!" comes inandy in a lot of situations, I've found.

dogonfire

dogonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 8:55 PM

I use "D'oh!" and "A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B" a lot (yes, I know the latter is already common but I use whenever I'm given a choice between two of anything). I've been trying to work "Ahoy-hoy" into regular conversation.

I think the Simpsons are singlehandedly responsible for bringing Schadenfreude into regular conversation. On the list of cultural references on the word's Wikipedia entry, the only on that doesn't occur after "When Flanders Failed" is from an actual German (Albert Speer, no less).

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 11:43 PM

I say "Linguo is dead" all the time for no reason.

Anytime, I go anywhere with a trampoline I say "TRAMBAMBOPOLINE" or some variation.

poster child

poster child

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 11:53 PM

On the occasions when I have some reason not to go home right after work, and I finally get home later to two hungry cats who's feeding is overdue, I like to refer to them as neglectarinos. But don't call the Animal Cops on me; it doesn't happen often.

I also have been known to declare in my best Lisa tone, "...and that's the tooth!" and then laugh hysterically.