ACTOR: Erica Durance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

532 replies to this topic

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

You know, it would have been so much better if the gang met Lois in Metropolis instead of her hanging out in Smallville all the time.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 8:03 AM

I was just watching Tomb, and just realised that it was not a bad episode for ED. I mean, her acting was pretty good in it.

On the other hand, I felt that it was an awful episode for Lois. She came across as a total flaky, clueless airhead.

Just found it funny, is all.

Lucy Wiggin

Lucy Wiggin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 7:16 PM

I don't really think much of ED (mostly because I don't understand what her character does on my screen). But, when I do, it's mostly: Would somebody send that poor girl a copy of The Beauty Myth??
A woman who I'm sure looked perfectly lovely, in her own natural way, felt that she has to change herself so much (Chiri gave a whole list at the media thread). I feel sad, for her and for the world.

In Tomb, for example, when she's supposed to be terrorized by that orderly, all that I could think of was how her wrinkles were botoxed and how strange her nose looked. Throws me out of character in her scenes each time.

Edited by Lucy Wiggin, Mar 30, 2006 @ 7:17 PM.

brighid

brighid

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 8:57 PM

I really don't care about what ED did or didn't do to her body. There are so many comments about how KK/Lana is "too flat" and "looks like a little boy" and how ED/Lois is "trashy" and looks "old" and it's just really draining to read because I just don't see what the point is. I'm not sure if I'm glad that AM isn't criticized for her appearance because I like her and don't want to hear anymore of it or if it annoys me because it shows how most of these comments are more, "we don't like her so we're going to find new ways to call her ugly".

As for why an actress would go under the knife, presuming they did, I think the fact that every wrinkle and an ounce of fat (or lack of) is judged by both potential employers and audiences is the answer. No matter what you look like, you're found wanting.

And if course, if you do do something, you're judged for that too. Too vain even though you're supposed to be vain and get your hair done, keep in shape, wear makeup and sexy clothes. I'm sure if ED looked the same as she did several years ago there would be comments about her small chest, big nose and - of course, how old she looks with all the extra lines.

It's a lose-lose situation.

Anyway. ED pretty much endeared herself to me with her early interview where she talks about Lois Lane and how she read the comics as a kid. She comes off as down-to-earth and interested in what she's doing here on Smallville. I did smile when she mentioned in a TV GUide interview that she was currently reading Jane Austen.

As an actress, I think she's ok. She's still rough and has lots of annoying little tics but she's improved from when she's started and I think she has a natural charisma about her. She has good chemistry with other cast members, including AM and TW. She doesn't seem as nervous, trying so hard, as she did when she first started.

It's a shame that her role on Smallville is largely unneccessary and that she is shoehorned into the series. I was worried when I first heard her role was expanding from two episodes, to four and then thirteen. I doubted Almiles would know how to handle another character when they can barely write for the ones they have and I've seen little evidence that I was wrong to feel that way.

I do think the character has some interesting facets to her (as well as some that make me want to bang my head against the nearest flat surface) but I have no hope of them being explored properly. I've been watching this show since day one, I know better than to hope for such things. Now, I just hope they don't fuck her up too bad.

Edited by brighid, Mar 30, 2006 @ 9:01 PM.

PotatoChips

PotatoChips

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 9:26 PM

Wow. ITA with your whole post, brigid. I like ED - she seems like a very open person who has fun and doesn't care too much about what other people think. Re her acting - she's not the best actress on the show, but I think she's pretty good, and that she's improving. Then again, I don't particularly think KK or the much vaunted AM are all that fantastic young actresses either, so it's not like I think she somehow fails in comparision to them.

I agree that ED does have a certain natural charisma and presence about her which I think serves her well as Lois Lane. The fact that she's tall, athletic and attractive doesn't hurt either, LOL. Lois is actually my favourite female character on the show (not that Lana or Chloe make it difficult to choose!), but I'd be the first to admit it's highly unfortunate that writers have done a crap-ass job of dealing with her character's development. I'm hoping like crazy that TPTB don't fuck it up too badly either.

A woman who I'm sure looked perfectly lovely, in her own natural way, felt that she has to change herself so much (Chiri gave a whole list at the media thread). I feel sad, for her and for the world.

I might have agreed with the sentiment... But when I recall all the numerous and persistent remarks commenting on Lois the old hag, and how ED looks like Clark's grandmother, etc .... I'm not exactly surprised ED chose to go under the knife (and besides the nose/boob job, I'm not sure exactly how much I believe the speculation about further plastic surgery).

Filmgirl

Filmgirl

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 12:16 AM

I seem her high school picture and she has had work done on her nose for sure...Also those house of the dead scenes where she's topless you can clearly see she grew since then...

So long story short... whatever work Erica has had done, was done before people started calling her grandma.

Also I know someone who met her (she said she was really sweet) said she asked Erica if she ever visited websites devoted to her or Smallville, and Erica said she's not into any of that.

So only if someone sends her a memo about them, I doubt she knows about any of the bashing that's done towards her.

And if she does that's sad she takes what people behind a keyboard have to say about so seriously she feels the need to get work done on herself.

Sometimes I doubt Erica's real age (27) just because she looks older than most 27 year olds and sometimes she looks older than both Tom and Michael.

Edited by Filmgirl, Apr 1, 2006 @ 12:20 AM.

radioreverie

radioreverie

Fanatic

• Interests:Radiohead, Olivier Messiaen (and modern classical music in general), jazz, psychology, linguistics, traveling, 'avant garde' music/art/film/literature, piano, photography, secular humanism/atheism, liberal politics

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 12:43 AM

The high school picture that's going around isn't of her. It's some other girl named Erica Parker, who looked like that when that picture was taken...in 2003.

Erica has definitely had a nosejob, though. And sadly it looks like she got a discount one.

I'm not so convinced of the boob job. I'm pretty good at spotting the telltale signs of fake breasts, and hers don't really look it. She's not even that big (there's no way that she's a DD, as some have claimed). If she did get a boob job, it was pretty much the most subtle and pointless boob job ever, going up *maybe* 2/3 of a cup.

ETA: Here's where that supposed picture of Erica in high school came from. As you can see, definitely not the same person.

Edited by radioreverie, Apr 1, 2006 @ 12:49 AM.

Filmgirl

Filmgirl

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 1:33 AM

Breast lift maybe?

lexualhealing

lexualhealing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 1:15 PM

Erica has definitely had a nosejob, though. And sadly it looks like she got a discount one.

I'm not so convinced of the boob job. I'm pretty good at spotting the telltale signs of fake breasts, and hers don't really look it. She's not even that big (there's no way that she's a DD, as some have claimed). If she did get a boob job, it was pretty much the most subtle and pointless boob job ever, going up *maybe* 2/3 of a cup.

ITA. If you look at the screencaps of the movie she did before HOTD (The Untold/Sasquatch), she had the same size breasts she has in Smallville.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 4:37 PM

I don't know, don't shoot me, but is it possible that the boob job was done before HOTD?

Yeah, I don't know what I am doing in this thread either.

PotatoChips

PotatoChips

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 9:49 PM

said she asked Erica if she ever visited websites devoted to her or Smallville, and Erica said she's not into any of that... I doubt she knows about any of the bashing that's done towards her.And if she does that's sad she takes what people behind a keyboard have to say about so seriously she feels the need to get work done on herself.

I don't mean that Erica got plastic surgery just because the "mean people" at TWOP were bashing her. My point is simply if normal people online comment so much on how she looks "haggard" and "old", then how much worse would it be in the looks-obsessed acting industry where you get rejected because "Er yeah, we don't think you have the right look for the part"? Plus I was addressing Lucy's remark that ED "looked perfectly lovely, in her own natural way" - that's all well and good, but when you see all the other comments bashing her on her looks (or the ones commenting on KK's "flat" chest), and it's no wonder that ED herself might feel that she needs plastic surgery, since the "normal" standard of beauty obviously is that of someone younger and more fresh-faced, with less lines and wrinkles, and bigger boobs.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Erica is the cover girl on the May 06 FHM

FMH US

Fionnabhair

Fionnabhair

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

I have to say, I don't mind Erica Durance at all - she seems like a decent actress (not wonderful, not earth-shattering, but decent) who performs well when she is given good material (e.g. Tomb.) Unfortunately, on this show, good material can be in short supply. And as for her looks? I really don't care - she seems like an attractive woman unfairly victimised by the make-up department (why do they give her so much blusher? why?) but other than that, I have no interest in the subject.

booberella

booberella

Fanatic

• Interests:Comic Strip Chicanery

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 11:36 PM

You know, I like Erica, too, and I wouldn't be one of those people to chime in on the "grandma" jokes if they weren't trying to cram the fact that "Lois" is 20 (21? 19?) on the show. First of all, what's so wrong with Lois being significantly older? 24? 25? I know that I was very close with my cousins when we were younger; we fell out of touch while I was in highschool/college, but now we're starting to see each other a lot more. It wouldn't be so unbelieveable to me if Lois hangs out with Chloe once Chloe got to college; but I re-iterate my previous sentiments on this board that the whole reason for bringing Lois around was to do the Scoobying into Chloe's mysterious death in Season 3. Clark had too much going on and they needed to bring Lois in. Unfortunately, I think ED did a great job building a slightly flirty, slighty platonic chemistry with TW, and they decided -- for some GODAWFUL reason -- to keep Lois around. I think it's a disservice to Lois and to Erica, honestly. While I'll believe that SV Lois doesn't have to be canon, because honestly who knows what Lois was like before she became a real grownup, what in the hell is the point, if you're not going to show this maturing thing going on? It's like they flipped a coin, Lois or Lana, and it came up pink.

Filmgirl

Filmgirl

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 3:28 AM

Erica is the cover girl on the May 06 FHM

FMH US

Is it wrong of me to not be impress with her pictures or her interview?

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 5:59 PM

What other secrets would make a more virtuous Lois Lane blush?
My husband and I have a naked household. Everybody who comes for drinks has to be naked too. When youíre out, you have to wear something. When youíre a kid, your parents let you run around naked all the time. I figure, itís my house. If I want to run around naked, I will. I love being naked. Talk to me in 10 years. Iíll love it even more.

*ahem* Alrighty then!

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

Is she serious?

Durq

Durq

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 8:39 PM

It sounds like there's a naked trend among actors right now....Matthew Fox from "Lost" hosts naked barbeques for the cast & his family walks around naked too!

I don't get it but I also don't live in Hawaii.

booberella

booberella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

Maybe this is the WASP half of me, but I really don't want to walk around naked at someone else's backyard party. I walk around naked when I'm alone in my house, and that's cool. I would not walk around naked at someone else's house.

scout1279

scout1279

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 9:38 PM

booberella, I don't think it's the WASP in you, because the WOP in me was thinking the exact same thing.

Durq, I think Matthew Fox told Oprah that his nakedness has been exaggerated by the press, so maybe the naked barbeques aren't true.

booberella

booberella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 10:23 PM

booberella, I don't think it's the WASP in you, because the WOP in me was thinking the exact same thing.

Heh. Well, my mom's Ojibwe. Neither of us likes wearing shoes or socks. (Which honestly should have nothing to do with it because Native Americans wear shoes, but I digress.) It drives my dad crazy when we walk around barefoot as much as possible.

But I draw the line at foot nakedness. There are just some parts of me that are better left to the imagination, especially in front of the neighbors.

Plus, Hot Coals + Sizzling Food + Nekkid = Bactene In Places You'd Rather Not Burn. So naked barbeque? Is fuzzy math to me. (HA! FUZZY!)

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 11:07 PM

This quote kills me

When youíre a kid, your parents let you run around naked all the time.

No-o-o. My parents didn't and none of my friends parents did.

ldok

ldok

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

makes you wonder where she grew up...
Well I don't critize her lifestyle but if hse were my friend I will never attend to any of her parties, EVER.
I wonder if she has invited her SV castmates? knowing how private they are I doubt they attended, except maybe the older cast and MR they seem like people who could feel comfortable naked around other people.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

I can't picture KK going naked at a party.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 2:17 AM

What really got me was the part about "more virtuous Lois Lane". But I guess that is for another thread.

brighid

brighid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 2:35 AM

Well, we haven't seen her naked.

BadToad

BadToad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 8:58 AM

Does she say anything about SV, her character, other actors, show direction, etc? I mean, I couldn't really care less if she wants to walk around naked, and have people over her house naked. Whatever gets her kink on, ya know? But I would be interested in knowing if she had anything remotely insightful to say about the show.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 10:36 AM

The only thing I got was she hopes people thinks she is the sexiest Lois. Not much about the show itself or the current arc or anything like that.

brighid

brighid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

It's FHM. It's not like they ask insightful questions. Usually, they're about sex in some way or another.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

You've got a point. It's not like a sci-fi magazine or anything like that.