6-3: "Mayham" 2006.03.26 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

677 replies to this topic

Kim

Kim

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:53 PM

No, that's not a typo. It's "Mayham," not "Mayhem." I'm sure the episode will explain why.

Raj MahTaj

Raj MahTaj

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

The Ghostbusters line made me do a spit take. And I never do spit takes.

Also, another excellent episode.

Edited by Raj MahTaj, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:01 PM.

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

I was worried Tony might never be Tony again until the scenes from next week.

Overall, solid outing. Very confused as to where they are going with some of these storylines (specifically Christopher and his idiotic movie concept), but I'm enjoying it so far.

Edie Falco is amazing. So I get that the house was heaven (what the hell would Tony be doing there?) or some sort of afterlife but what about the monks?

Edited by Benji, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:10 PM.

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Yay! He's back! I knew (from spoilers) that he wouldn't die, but I still felt a sense of relief. Now all we have to worry about is Sil's health. And Vito. Fuckin' Vito.

Loved, loved, loved Paulie's "positive" talk to Tony and bizarro Tony's subsequent yelling at the neighbors to shut-up. Although I must say I'm disappointed that Paulie felt similar to Vito about giving to Carmella....I guess he deserved that kick in the nuts (I would make the 'walnuts' joke, but I'm sure it's been done before).

I'm so looking forward to next week, looks like Tony'll be back in fighting form even when he's still laid up.

Oh, and Finn and Vito...creepy. I'll say it again, fuckin' Vito.

araby44

araby44

Loyal Viewer

Unbelievable episode...

Silvio having a panic (asthma attack)

Paulie almost talking Tony to death and then taking credit for his miraculous recovery

The looks on the faces of Paulie and Vito after they had to pony up the 100 g's

The return of Diet Tony

The brief look at what appeared to be a young Livia at the door of the House of Heaven or Hell

I could go on and on...

Edited by araby44, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:03 PM.

RolloTomasi

RolloTomasi

Just Tuned In

Am I crazy for thinking the suggestion of the body parts being along the same garbage route wasn't half bad?

larfin

larfin

Channel Surfer

I know Carmela's second glance at Vito and Paulie was important, but can someone smarter than me tell me what they think she was thinking/realizing?

Wonkavite

Wonkavite

Loyal Viewer

This season has a whole different flavor so far. It's more abstract and stylized than it has been in the past. I know that's partially because of the recurring dream sequences, but even some of the other sequences feel that way. The "Saw meets the Godfather" sequence had that feeling to it, even though it was funny. Also, Vito was uber-creepy around Finn again. Ewww..

I guess Tony didn't want Diet Tony to lead him to the Irish bar where it's always St. Patrick's Day, even if it looked like an inn. Hee! The white light at the end of the tunnel became the operating room instead. Oh, hey. I just realized. Kevin Finnerty is an Irish name, so maybe that connects somehow with Christopher's concept of Purgatory from Season (2 or 3?).

Little by little, A.J. is becoming actively disastrous. I think it would be great if he accidentally shot himself early on in Season 6.

Edited by Wonkavite, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:09 PM.

ReadySteadyGo

ReadySteadyGo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

Oh, how pissed was Vito? Dude was counting on a double bill of death!

Carmela's look to Vito and Paulie in the elevator was priceless.

Thank God, Tony's awake. I did enjoy Paulie's nattering on and Meadow's voice reaching Limbo!Tony.

Interesting scene between Carmela and Dr. Melfi. It was a bit jarring to Carm sitting in Tony's seat, but in a good way.

Christopher: I love you, but you have got to quit the movie thing! I can only imagine what Tony was thinking, listening to Chrissy outline yet another shitty movie idea. And honestly, did they really have to kidnap J.T. like that? What about just getting him after his class or whatever let out!

I can't help but wonder if this is the last we'll see of the Limbo World. Knowing this show, Tony could revisit it in a regular dream later on in the season. I'm actually curious to know if the business with the monks ever gets resolved.

Loved seeing Buscemi. I'm sure his presence had some double meaning, but I'm just taking the appearance at face value.

Next week: The shit hits the fan. I can't wait. I really do hope that Carmela is referring to Paulie and/or Vito when she says, "There's someone I think you should watch out for."

Edited by ReadySteadyGo, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:10 PM.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Damn!!!! So much in one hour. Vito is becoming one damn annoying man.

Paulie, so oblivious!!! Oy!

The guys are showing their true colors...and Carmela's noticing. Paulie and Vito's looks of disgust in the elevator...yikes.

AJ tried to buy a gun? Now that is a disaster.

Carmela and Tony break my heart, and that last scene killed me. I also enjoyed her scene with Melfi...very interesting! I'm curious to hear everyone's analysis!

And the previews! Carmela's giving Tony advice about his own guys? Very interesting.

Edited by Kim, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:09 PM.

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Yay, he's back! Flynn better thank God. Vito was already planning to make his move if Tony died.

"Difficult, not impossible." Is AJ deliberately quoting Michael Corleone? If so, he better watch that movie again. You need something called intelligence to pull that off.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Watching this episode made me realize why it can only work with Tony Soprano as its centerpiece. Most every character in this show is a richly-painted bit of color, but there is no more compelling figure than Tony with all of his various dimensions. He's a natural leader and a strong influence inb both of his families. When he woke up, I realized how much I'd missed him. I guess that means that David Chase had better have him do something evil very soon so I can be reminded what a creature he is at times.

Also, I lost it during the near-death experience with Tony B. Not sure why.

Edited by Moon Beagle, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:08 PM.

oneira

oneira

Channel Surfer

I'm wondering where the Vito/Finn thing is going. Vito is seriously a creepy dude.

Loved how this episode really showed who Tony's "friends" are.

Oh and big surprise! Tony awakes.

I know Carmela's second glance at Vito and Paulie was important, but can someone smarter than me tell me what they think she was thinking/realizing?

I think that Carmela noticed the dissappointed looks on their faces just before the elevator door closed.

Edited by oneira, Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:07 PM.

joeyguse

joeyguse

Video Archivist

OOOOOOOHHHHH,\
So good to see Pauli back in all his splendor. Some fucking great comedy when Meadow tells him to stay poistive and he immediately starts talking about how horrible Tony looks. Other than that a great theme developing in that someone is a friend as long as they remain useful. Tony without the ability to defend himself opens the floodgates for everyone. THese people value each other based on the potential gain that person provides thats it.

Wonkavite

Wonkavite

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

Maybe Carmela was realizing just how close she came to being cut off from her former life in many monetary ways. To her credit, it doesn't seem to have been the first thing on her mind.

Josh29

Josh29

Channel Surfer

May(ham) has to refer to All the hams acting their best, putting on a great show for Calm. What a bunch of disingenuous assholes looking out for number one. Then again, what else should we expect?

msrobins

msrobins

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:07 PM

Help! I am not where I can see HBO this evening. Anyone - a short recap? What about the monks? Thanks!!

Killacal

Killacal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Best moments to me after the first viewing:

(1) Tony getting tachycardic by Paulie's very PRESENCE!
(2) The Finn/Vito reunion....VERY creepy...poor, poor Finn, he probably benefits most directly from Tony coming out of the coma....
(3) Christopher and Little Carmine as producers....so THAT'S how we get movies like, "Surf Nazi's Must Die"

And also a question and I may be WAAAAY off base here, but along the lines of the Burroughs Seven Souls thing, is Diet Tony Ren, the director, first off the sinking ship?

Can't wait to watch it again and see what else I can pick up!

goldil

goldil

Couch Potato

To quote Mr. Goldil after the preview for next week, "Thank God he's back to his cranky old self."

Culturemaven

Culturemaven

Loyal Viewer

Holy crap that was good. After Tony woke up, it looked like he could not have cared less about anything - I couldn't even tell if anything was registering with him. But it looks like he's back next week.

Vito, who never really registered that much before this season with me, went from annoying to uber creepy with the fondling of Finn. Very icky. No spoiler - I just hope he gets whacked in a really humiliating way.

Great reappearance of Tony B., as well.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Maybe Carmela was realizing just how close she came to being cut off from her former life in many monetary ways. To her credit, it doesn't seem to have been the first thing on her mind.

I don't think it was really about the money...I think it was about the fact that she was realizing who these guys really are. They put up a concerned face and provide support out of obligation, not because they actually care.

WobblyHeadedBob

WobblyHeadedBob

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:09 PM

It was interesting to see everyone try to spin their wheels in a way that they'd like to be if Tony wasn't around. Vito, pushing for the Skip's role. Sil, realizing he wanted no part of it. Chris, without someone to tell him not to, dives head first into the movie industry. I wonder who he's going to hire as a director? Or would he direct this pciture by himself?

And Paulie.... Paulie, Paulie, Paulie. You've never been smart, but I've never seen you this self-destructive. Please smarten up, Paulie. I'm afraid of what might happen.

vizman

vizman

Loyal Viewer

Why the monks? I think that Tony was seeing the monk-looking doctor with the shaved head peering at him and transferred it to his dreams.

Also, why didn't Carmela ask Melfi for help with Anthony Jr.? She talked to others about him, but not the shrink. Saying that she was worried about her children wasn't enough.

abp77

abp77

Couch Potato

Bill Kurtis rocks!!

Magic7178

Magic7178

Channel Surfer

I liked it. Seeing Tony B was jarring...I did a double take when he first appeared.

Someone should just hand Edie Falco the Emmy now...there really is no need to wait until the fall.

And Vito and Finn...eeewwww!

George Zip

George Zip

Video Archivist

Oof. Must've been some "mayham" during the production meetings for this one. Too many tertiary characters, too many subplots, too many unrealistic scenes, too many contrived plot devices. Silvio's asthma felt like something from a bad sitcom - something that would show up out of nowhere for an episode, then disappear. Have we ever seen him with an inhaler before? I don't remember seeing one.

Good scene as Tony was about to die, and "Kevin" was about to go the Finnerty reunion. And some good stuff with AJ/Carmella. Nice performance by Jamie Lyn, I thought. But next week Tony's practically back to his old self? Come on! After everything the doctors were saying? And a massive gaping hole in his abdomen? I mean, eventually it had to happen, but so soon?

I really have no interest in Vito. Gannascoli seems like a nice enough guy in real life, but for the character to be thrust into such a prominent role just feels wrong.

I can see I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I found it to be sub-par by Sopranos standards.

larfin

larfin

Channel Surfer

I was disappointed that Christopher tries to take advantage. Who does that leaves as tony's true F/family? Sil and the Sopranos.

Tandemonium

Tandemonium

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:09 PM

- "Oof! Madonn! He looks terrible!"
- "I gotta wear a jock, the doc said...keep the testes elevated."
- "And then all of a sudden the machines go bwuhullshit!"
- "Calm the fuck down, lemme think!" *Inhales from inhaler* *pause*

I haven't laughed this hard since the one shoe and ketchup.

Monie Luv

Monie Luv

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

Poor Tony:

So large a crew, so few brains between them.

And, I agree w/the poster upthread--the routes leading to one dump is a pretty good conceit.

Finally, I think Tony decided not to step into the house because even in death, Liva shows him her back.

NEXT WEEK CAN'T COME TOO SOON!

Kim

Kim

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Just a reminder: You don't need to spoiler tag stuff that was in the preview of next week's episode, although I appreciate everyone's caution.