"Bobby, it's not safe to come back in yet": Personal Hygiene Ads

• Please log in to reply

1026 replies to this topic

Toxteth

Toxteth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 4:42 PM

The quote is from King of the Hill, where Hank will not let Bobby Hill watch ads for tampons.

So what's your take on TV's incessant ads for cosmetics, razors and (yes) tampons? Some of them I like, but others, like most ads for tampons, I wish would leave my screen STAT.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 8:54 PM

As a Person of a Certain Age, I'm just bemused sometimes by how much more explicit everything has become in the "personal" area in my lifetime.

As a kid (reaching into magazine ads for a moment), I thought Modess was a high-class dress designer, because they advertised with full-page color photos of a woman in a fabulous gown, on a terrace or something looking out at a starry sky, and the only words were a discreet "Modess... because..."

It's certainly better to speak honestly about things, and get the word out, but it's been interesting watching the gradual change. We'd get those 70s "not-so-fresh feeling" ads (Nora Ephron did a hilarious article about these), careful ads for "bathroom tissue" (so much nicer than "toilet paper") keyed to its squeezability or strength without mentioning its purpose, and now all these "feminine product" commercials trying to walk the line between delicacy and competitiveness. The times, they have a-changed.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 9:30 PM

The Summer's Eve commercial, with the mother and daughter walking on the beach, is one of the worst ever. IIRC:

Daughter: Mom, do you douche?
Mom (grinning insanely): Every day!

Rwrap257

Rwrap257

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 9:55 PM

The new Vagisil commercial....with the cartoon inflamed triangle....it's so obvisouly this diseased vagina and it makes me want to vomit.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 11:16 PM

Daughter: Mom, do you douche?
Mom (grinning insanely): Every day!

That's wrong on so many levels. But mostly, it's wrong because you shouldn't douche everyday. Hey, hygeine products! Some bacteria are actually good for you.

Off Topic: I seem to remember at one point, waayyy, way back in the day (like, say, 1900s or 1920s), Lysol used to be used douche. I think I saw that on some program on the History Channel. F*cking scary man.

The new Vagisil commercial....with the cartoon inflamed triangle....it's so obvisouly this diseased vagina and it makes me want to vomit.

*snickers*

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:04 AM

Yeah, something about those insanely cheerful and wholesome "feminine" ads seems to bring out the inner 12-year-old in many of us. They're trying so hard not to talk about what they're really talking about. I recall the first-generation douche ads, when they'd go on and on about the wonder of the "conveniently shaped applicator," and I'd want them (not really, of course) to stop the euphemisms and go into more detail about what made the shape so "convenient": "Look, you can shove it right up there!"

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:22 AM

Two things bother me about Personal Hygiene ads. (OK, way more than two, but these are probably my top two pet peeves.)

First, enough already with the tampon commercials showing women frolicking on the beach in white bathing suits. Their product may be good, but for most women, it just isn't THAT good.

Second, ads for Depends, etc actually offend me. Western culture already shows older people little enough respect. Do we really need ads showing them putting on bladder leakage garments? (Well, we only see their feet but we get the message.) Give these people a little dignity, please! Discretion can be a good thing.

As a kid (reaching into magazine ads for a moment), I thought Modess was a high-class dress designer, because they advertised with full-page color photos of a woman in a fabulous gown, on a terrace or something looking out at a starry sky, and the only words were a discreet "Modess... because..."

This made me laugh because I remember the same thing. Then again, was it so bad? Honesty is good, but there's something to be said for women retaining just a little mystery. There are some things I just don't need to see on TV.

MelfrmMd

MelfrmMd

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:23 AM

It always amuses me to see that the liquid used in the tampon and pad commercials to demonstrate the absorbancy is always blue, like windex or ty-d-bowl. I always imagine the meetings all these male executives must have had when deciding the color, stressing about red and yellow until finally deciding blue.

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:49 AM

I think they use blue because it shows up well on tv. But when I see those ads, I always start thinking that, if I start leaking blue liquid, the last thing I'm going to worry about is how absorbent my pad is.

Toxteth

Toxteth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:43 AM

Coming from a person who thinks the only good tampon ad is for Roca Pads ("they keep my flow motherfuckin' tizzight!") from Chapelle's Show, the Kotex ads of late just want me to not. watch. TV. Their whole "Women win" campaign just doesn't feel right to advertising tampons.

Pittipat

Pittipat

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:06 PM

Ok, I'll admit - adorning my bedroom wall are TWO framed prints of Modess ads because I LOVE the gowns the women are wearing and it tickles my sense of humor to know that they are ads for "feminine protection" (don't worry, the "Modess...because.." has been left off)

I derive secret pleasure on watching t.v. with my hubby when an ad comes on. I always look to see if his face shows horror, disbelief or outright laughter.

ETA: Yes, the pinball one! We both had a good laugh over that one. I had my *ahem* yearly visit soon after we saw that one and I pondered whether I should tell the doctor that no pinballs come out of my hooha.

Edited by Pittipat, Mar 28, 2006 @ 9:36 PM.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:56 PM

The cartoon vagina really gave me pause. I guess I should just be glad that Vagisil didn't take a cue from those toilet paper bears and show a bunch of frolicking cartoon beavers shaking their itchy crotches at the screen.

Edited by Cyb, Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:56 PM.

okmom

okmom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 1:24 PM

The cartoon vagina really gave me pause. I guess I should just be glad that Vagisil didn't take a cue from those toilet paper bears and show a bunch of frolicking cartoon beavers shaking their itchy crotches at the screen.

Oh. My. God. I am still giggling about this one. That would be so disgusting!

I didn't like the toilet paper commercial (I think it was Cottonelle) that showed a whole bunch of shots of people's butts. And this isn't really personal hygiene but the Pepto-Bismol commercial with the people doing the conga line and covering various parts of their bodies while shouting out the ailment (mouth for vomiting, chest for heartburn, stomach for nausea and, you guessed it, butt for diarrhea!)

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 1:40 PM

the Pepto-Bismol commercial with the people doing the conga line and covering various parts of their bodies while shouting out the ailment

That's so funny. I've heard so many complaints about this one. I'm normally squeamish but I have to admit this one cracks me up. It's just so ridiculous.

One ad that did sort of bother me (and this sounds even sillier) is the one for some kind of toilet paper, which involves bears going to the bathroom. Well, going to the tree, really. I realize everyone has to go to the bathroom, but I'd just as soon not have to watch them do it on TV, (or anywhere else, for that matter) particularly when I'm eating. Not even if they're bears. (This reminds me of a current ad for a toilet bowl cleaner. It shows a woman cleaning a grungy toilet, and they always show it during dinner. Yuck.)

givemeakleenex

givemeakleenex

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

Cannot. Stop. Laughing. ::wipes tears from eyes::

Bb

Bb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 7:05 PM

I can't believe I'm the first to mention feminine pads as pinball games. Seriously? If I've got balls down there, I've got real problems beyond the blue liquid issues and potential leakage.

Librarian

Librarian

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

I always imagine the meetings all these male executives must have had when deciding the color, stressing about red and yellow until finally deciding blue.

I would love, love, love one company to finally use red.

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:46 AM

It always amuses me to see that the liquid used in the tampon and pad commercials to demonstrate the absorbancy is always blue, like windex or ty-d-bowl. I always imagine the meetings all these male executives must have had when deciding the color, stressing about red and yellow until finally deciding blue.

Slightly OT but Mr. 'bert used to work with a CODA (child of a deaf parent). She told him that when she first got her period she absolutely and completely freaked because her point of reference (since her mom couldn't "speak" to her about it) was TV commercials which indicated to her that she would bleed blue.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 12:45 PM

I can't believe I'm the first to mention feminine pads as pinball games.

I would still take the rather ridiculous image of a pinball machine over some annoying woman in the feminine hygiene aisle swatting me with blue colored pads. Actually, I kind of like that ad somewhat. There are so many worse out there that I can't quite work up enough dislike for it. Though for some reason the ball makes me think of those kids from Capri Sun commercials that zoom around like liquid silver and thinking of both of those together is just really, really icky.

okmom

okmom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 6:18 PM

I do not know of this pinball pad commercial you speak of. Is it a recent commercial or an older one?

Corcat

Corcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 7:39 PM

I was innocently watching American TV and the interesting show I was intently viewing went to commercial. Annoying to say the least, but to hear a woman "openly" discussing her herpes outbreak with me and what drugs she was taking to control it was just too over the top.

And the little reminder, given in a low voice, that if you have an STD, you should always remind your sexual partner.

Look. This is just information I don't want to hear from a television set. Who authorizes this stuff to go on air?

And it was replayed, over and over and over again.

TMI!

JuliJBG

JuliJBG

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 8:00 AM

I have 4 words: Have a Happy Period. F@%k you, Always! Nothing brings out my pre-menstrual anger like that commercial that consistantly makes me throw stuff at the t.v. in blind rage. Gah! What were they thinking???

I do not know of this pinball pad commercial you speak of. Is it a recent commercial or an older one?

It's pretty new, I saw it last about a month ago. Pretty weird, iirc. Like a pinball machine made of absorbant pads, and the pinball bouncing off (to show us that nothing can get past it, I suppose). Blech.

Edited by JuliJBG, Apr 14, 2006 @ 8:03 AM.

Allgeetoo

Allgeetoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 10:49 AM

I think Vagisil is an even worse name than Nasalcrom. If you wander around the drugstore with a tube of Vagisil in your cart everyone's going to know exactly what it's for. Maybe a more discreet name (that doesn't include "Vag") would be in order.

So what if strangers know I've got a burning, itchy, smelly vajayjay? Besides, the Vagisil is always hidden under the discreet package of Depends.

On a more serious note, we should have known waaaay back in 1970 "vagina" named products couldn't be too far off when they aired a commercial starring a mother and daughter, sitting in a gazebo, sipping refreshing iced beverages, smack-dab in the middle of a beautiful, flowery meadow, discussing "Summer's Eve". Imagine explaining that one to your two-year old!

Is that the one where she cheerfully asks, "Mom, does a douche make you feel more confident?"

Oh yes! My mother and I had a wonderful relationship, but now I wonder if she was faking her part because we never had that all-important mother/daughter douche conversation.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

Maybe I'll hide my Vagisil under my Anusol. I'll take ointment AND suppositories!

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 9:00 PM

The new Cottonelle bear commercial takes the series to new heights! A father and son bear settle in at neighboring trees. They each have reading material, and a big fat roll of Cottonelle perched on a nearby branch.

After doing their dirty bear business, they each reach for the roll of paper, and just when you think, "oh my god they are actually going to show cartoon bears wiping their cartoon asses", the scene switches to baby bear pulling out waaaaay too much paper, and daddy bear assuring him that Cottonelle is so thick and absorbent he doesn't need that much.

Two tampon/pad commercials that stand out for me are:

The one with a woman swirling around in a white dress with big pink polka dots. I guess the polka dots are supposed to be a play on "period" but it actually made me think of stains, i.e. leaky tampons. Wrong message people!

Then there's the one in which a woman is shopping for pads, and a complete stranger walks up to her to ask "does your current pad make you feel dry?" or something equally completely inappropriate. The hell? Because wouldn't we all cheerfully engage in an absorbency conversation with a total stranger. And allow this person to pour the ubiqutous blue liquid on a pad, and then place this wet pad all over our body ?!?!?!?

On another note, I haven't seen any Preparation H or similar commercials in a long time. I remember and old one for Tucks which involved a lit match being extinguished with a Tucks pad. Pretty tame by current standards.

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 10:23 PM

The second-most notorious Summer's Eve ad ever.

Angora Deb

Angora Deb

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

That's Charmin, not Cottonelle. I know because I loathe the bears so much that I refuse to buy Charmin (even though it is the softest I've found).

Have a Happy Period.

And a joyous hysterectomy.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 10:27 AM

If I've got balls down there, I've got real problems beyond the blue liquid issues and potential leakage.

That ad caused my best guy friend to exclaim, "Someone's losing their ben-wa balls!" Now that's all I can think whenever I see it.

Allgeetoo

Allgeetoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

The one with a woman swirling around in a white dress with big pink polka dots. I guess the polka dots are supposed to be a play on "period" but it actually made me think of stains, i.e. leaky tampons. Wrong message people!

Ahhhhh yes! The red and white polka dot dress. Show of hand. How many of us thought we could dance our cramping little asses off or ride a horse like an equestrian born on a saddle? Anybody think the could swim like a mermaid or play a violin good enough to secure a seat at the Met if we only purchased the right sanitary product? The funny thing about those commercials is that not long after it was over, we still had kind of an alpha mindset as to the actual name of the product, i.e., sanitary napkins were referred to as Kotex (are they still around?) and tampons were Tampax, pretty much like photocopies were Xeroxes.

Then there's the one in which a woman is shopping for pads, and a complete stranger walks up to her to ask "does your current pad make you feel dry?" or something equally completely inappropriate.

I never saw that one, but if some stranger were to walk up to me and ask me that question, I'd have bitch slapped her and asked her whether she preferred aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen?

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

Thanks, [/b]mariposa[b]! Now I'm off to the beach to see if any Summer's Eve products have washed ashore.