2-16: "The Whole Truth" 2006.03.22 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

557 replies to this topic

The Mutt

The Mutt

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:51 PM

So much going on and everyone's worried about the captioning? It's a good thing y'all aren't watching "24", where the Prez declared "Marshall Law" last week.

Did Sawyer give Charlie that gun or is it the same one he shot Ethan with? Has he had it all that time?

Sun's garden is bugging me. She seems to just be moving plants from one place to another. Why not put the garden closer to Tarp City? And after all this time, the garden is still not much bigger than a matress. Get some help to clear some shrubs, Sun. I can't imagine a man on the island turning down your request for help.

And I have to wonder, what did AnaL trade to Sawyer for the eyebrow tweezers?

Edited by The Mutt, Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:55 PM.

alexisd

alexisd

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:55 PM

Dharma-Os! Kid Tested, Other Approved.

Hilarious. Thank you.

I could swear Charlie or Sayid mentioned a dining room table...does that give us any context for their building project (or did I hallucinate that)?

It was there, but it was a joke. Love the church theory, though. Makes sense. And it would give us a good Eko storyline, a thing we sorely need.

It's a good thing y'all aren't watching "24", where the Prez declared "Marshall Law" last week.

I don't usually watch "24", but I noted that "Desmond" was on this week's episode. I'm looking for a cross-over, a la "Jetsons" and "Flintstones".

Edited by alexisd, Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:57 PM.

Do No Harm

Do No Harm

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:54 PM

Oh, and just as everyone predicted, absolutely no mention of ANYTHING that happened last episode.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:54 PM

I still don't see what finding the balloon would really prove. For all we know, Henry Gale and the other Others simply killed the real ballooners and now he's conveniently trying to pass himself off as his own victim.

notthatsmart

notthatsmart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:55 PM

Forget the tweezers, what did she trade to get the bikini wax...

cause those jeans are riding down a bit low.

Jedibarrister

Jedibarrister

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:59 PM

So Sun and Jin had lost their love and their marriage...but Jin's need for a translator proves so strong that he decides to be a decent human being again just in time to find out he's a daddy....or at least that Sun's a mommy. I don't believe her when she says she didn't sleep with her ex-boyfriend english tutor.

Hurley...nice save with the candy bar. Good thing Sun had her own thing to hide and let you escape.

Henry O Henry....you evil Other....or innocent survivor. That last cereal scene was chilling. I was on the fence at first. But all the manipulation of Jack and Locke made me wonder, and that trap talk, he's an Other.

Bernard looking for oysters to give his Betty a pearl for her birthday. I think they're on the island simply to show, as a counterpoint, a healthy relationship. Wonder why the Others found them "unworthy". They seem normal.

Angela12

Angela12

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:01 PM

Wonder why the Others found them "unworthy". They seem normal.

Maybe they don't approve of interracial marriage.

catlebrity

catlebrity

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:03 PM

Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the episode was pretty flat. Yeah, some funny lines, and Henry is getting creepier by the hour (which is nice), but I thought Sun's flashbacks were dull, and the search for the balloon -- uh, wouldn't it have occurred to Sayid/Ana/Charlie that maybe, just maybe, they were being led into an ambush?

Clearly the father of Sun's baby is Alvar Hanso.

Or even worse ... Donald Trump!

Edited by catlebrity, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:05 PM.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:02 PM

They seem normal.

Which of course means that their flashback episode will reveal them as S&M fetishists or something.

That final closeup of Sun's face seemed to suggest she was lying, at least to me.

whyjen88

whyjen88

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:04 PM

I don't understand Sun's need to tell Jin the truth. If she has been faithful and knows he has to be the father then it's an island miracle regadless on which one could not reproduce. Why tell him now "yes, I'm pregnant with a miracle baby but it was you that was sterile"

Also after hearing his wife was carrying his miracle baby he choose that moment to prove to his wife that he's going to give her some space?
Seems that would make him even more uptight about her safety.

Espressokitten3983

Espressokitten3983

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

I think Sun is lying, something about the way she was acting the whole episode.

Cione

Cione

Couch Potato

Why tell him now "yes, I'm pregnant with a miracle baby but it was you that was sterile"

Because that was the whole truth. It struck me as odd as well that he'd leave her alone.

Anyone think it's not bald guy's baby or Jin's? A Dana Scully/Vala sort of thing?

Azurekite

Azurekite

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:07 PM

Are they maybe building a church? Raft 2.0? A Starbucks? Could be anything.

Snerk! Just picturing a Starbuck's appearing...

The whole Hurley-Sun scene had me laughing, especially her expression during the entire exchange. They're really funny together!

jeffcoop

jeffcoop

Channel Surfer

Henry's closing dialog over the Dharma-Os ™ was chilling and absolutely brilliant. Almost too much so. Sometimes an actor gives a performance so compelling that it follows him forward into other roles. I can't see Michael Emerson without seeing William Hinks, perhaps the creepiest character ever to appear on "The Practice." I can't see Ray Wise without seeing Leland Palmer looking into a mirror and seeing the leering face of BOB staring back at him. So now, when I see these actors, I react viscerally. Vice President Gardner on "24" has to be evil--you see that glint in the eye, that hint of an inappropriate smile, and you think, BOB. Henry Gale has to be an Other. You see that smirk, that oddly vacant look in the eyes, and you think, William Hinks.

But then, you'd think that a good television producer would be aware of these reactions and would be ready to play with them.

Whatever he is, though, Henry Gale is currently, to me, the second most interesting character on the show--second only to Mr. Eko.

Angela12

Angela12

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:08 PM

wouldn't it have occurred to Sayid/Ana/Charlie that maybe, just maybe, they were being led into an ambush?

Not necessarily. We're not really talking about the most rational people on the island here.

Which of course means that their flashback episode will reveal them as S&M fetishists or something.

I think I just vomitted a little inside my mouth. At the same time, that would be completely hilarious. Anyone ever watch Reno 911? Officer Trudy gets into that shit, and it is absurdly/grossly hysterical.

Amubakar

Amubakar

Loyal Viewer

Perfect... Dharma-Os, each little piece in the shape of an octagon with a little hole in the center. Maybe it comes with snake, shark, and swan-shaped marshmallows?

anakalia

anakalia

Couch Potato

Luckily Jack didn't buy it or has really honed his bull-ish ignoring skills from being around Locke so much.

Anything that Jack doesn't say he doesn't listen to. It's not important to him.

Kudos not only to the flawless Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim, either of whom could totally float my boat anywhere anytime

hehe. I enjoyed that.

I don't usually watch "24", but I noted that "Desmond" was on this week's episode.

Looking very sexy, I'd like to add.
I guess since Desmond found his way off the island, maybe he took Michael and Walt with him...

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Sun was working that black suit when she went to the hotel.

And I love SUn/Jin relationship, whe so wants to be a mordern woman and he is really trying casue he does love her.

And damn he looked good lying in that bed.

Angela12

Angela12

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:10 PM

And damn he looked good lying in that bed.

Word to that. Even my roommate, who has the most White Bread taste in guys ever was like, "Damn, he's hot."

Shirtless Jin? Shirtless Jack? Shirtless Sawyer? All in one episode? That alone is enough to earn it an A+ from me.

Ms. Poly Theist

Ms. Poly Theist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:13 PM

I thought that Sun's expression(s) at the end were about nine million emotions playing across her face at once - kind of like the way Edie Falco does it on The Sopranos. Hard to tell just what she might have been thinking. But I'd like to believe that she was telling Jin the truth, and that she never slept with anyone else, including Hot Bald English Teacher.

Henry Gale is the most interesting character on this show, now. We need him to have a whole episode just with himself, Desmond, and Danielle. Craphole Island Nirvana!

Sawyer complaining that there wasn't enough sex in "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" was priceless. Obviously, what he needs is Judy Blume's later book, "Forever." As a young girl, I was scarred for life by that scene where the girl names her boyfriend's penis "Ralph"...

Hooray for More Assertive Locke's return! He doesn't need to ask Jack if Ana-Lucia should interrogate the prisoner. He doesn't have to ask Jack if he can shave while Jack showers. He doesn't have to ask Jack for permission to look at Jack's penis. And in retaliation, Jack gets assertive, too: he decides he doesn't have to ask permission to take Henry out for a bowl of Dharma-Os (love it!).

As for what Charlie and Sayid were building, they had some very tall bamboo stalks there, and they had a framework going. The framework wasn't tight enough to be a holding area of any kind (a prison for Henry?), unless they were going to add to it. So I'm thinking fortress, or at least a suitable shelter. I don't think this has anything to do with Eko's church-building, which seems to be a solitary project.

As for Charlie knowing about Henry and not blabbing it all around, I really think he's turned into Darth Hoodie. I think that Claire's rejection has changed him, and that there will be many more surprising and uncharacteristic behaviors from him. Having a gun and not making a fuss about it (my impression was that it was a secret even from Sayid) is not very pre-Claire-dump Charlie. So, maybe this post-Claire-dump Charlie - the Charlie who is willing to faux-abduct Sun - can keep secrets. Secrets are knowledge, and knowledge is power. And I think right now he has a hunger for power that's even more compelling than his hunger for what Virgin Mary keeps where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by Ms. Poly Theist, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:16 PM.

discokitty

discokitty

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:14 PM

Quick! Can someone help me out? The last minute or so got cut off of my recording -- the last thing was Gale saying if he were one of Them, he'd have led Ana into a trap. Was there anything that happened after that? Thanks!

anakalia

anakalia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:14 PM

I was really digging the shirtless Jin, but I couldn't take my eyes off of his funky pjs. They were like stripped clamdiggers. I just kept imaging they weren't there.

oliverdog298

oliverdog298

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

So now we may have Korean Jesus...hmmm...

Also, did anyone happen to notice the sign at the side of the road where Sun's doctor parked his car? I thought I saw what looked like a picture of a trumpet with a line through it. No horns?

zacdilone

zacdilone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

Henry O Henry....you evil Other....or innocent survivor. That last cereal scene was chilling. I was on the fence at first. But all the manipulation of Jack and Locke made me wonder, and that trap talk, he's an Other.

I don't think so. I think he's so incredibly p-o'd at the way he's been treated, he's just messing with them for a bit of revenge.

michbunny

michbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

It seems the Lost writers wanted us to remember that Henry had overheard Jack and Locke talking far away from the cell door, whereas in tonight's episode Jack couldn't hear Ana Lucia and Henry talking and he was right near the door.

I'm starting to wonder if Henry is a wild card like Rousseau. It seems too obvious that Henry is an Other. Yet, if you look at the diary section of ABC's Lost website, it would seem that Henry certainly isn't to be trusted. I don't know what to make of him, only that he's a clever bastard and I'm thoroughly enjoying him making Locke and Jack look like idiots.

YourMom

YourMom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:19 PM

Henry Gale is a truly awesome character. Love him. I finally have a character I can truly love, and it only took 1.666667 seasons.

Honestly, this show has lost so much steam that the Jack/Locke pissing contests are the most interesting part of the show for me, but only because I get a very hearty laugh out of their never-too-subtle attempts to become Craphole Island's Alpha Penis.

And speaking of penises, I totally agree that Jack and Locke were working the Brokeback Island thing. Jack's all, "Well, John, this is what you came in here to see. Isn't it?" But hot damn Foxy sure is pretty. So long as he's looking pretty, he stay on this show forevah and evah.

Ana-Lucia didn't bug as much as normal. And neither did Charlie. And Sawyer continues to be awesome.

The "you're husband" was bugging the crap out of me too. Try harder, Closed Captioning Monkeys.

Edited by YourMom, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:20 PM.

ShortFatGuy

ShortFatGuy

Channel Surfer

Jin hears Sawyer and Bernard talking backwards, so what would Jin hear if he had a vision of Walt?

Edited by ShortFatGuy, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:19 PM.

The Mutt

The Mutt

Quick! Can someone help me out? The last minute or so got cut off of my recording -- the last thing was Gale saying if he were one of Them, he'd have led Ana into a trap. Was there anything that happened after that? Thanks!

That was about it. All you missed were the previews for next week, which showed waaaaaay too much. I wish I'd missed them too.

Jin hears Sawyer and Bernard talking backwards, so what would Jin hear if he had a vision of Walt?

Paul is dead.

Edited by The Mutt, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:30 PM.

chrysanthemum

chrysanthemum

Fanatic

• Interests:Bad television. Awesomely bad television. Old school hip-hop. Soda. Sneakers. My dog. My friends. Words. Crossword Puzzles. The beach. Nerds. Revolutionaries. Activists. Swiss cheese. Cherries. Jamba Juice. Fragments.

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:31 PM

Of course a fetus can survive the crash. Aaron did.

You're right--the question is whether an embryo can survive a crash. I think they're more delicate (thus the not telling anyone until the second trimester).

Plus, you know. Aaron is also the spawn of Satan. Chubbster could survive anything.

Henry Gale reminds me, eerily, of Kevin Spacey's character in Seven - very disturbing, evil, sadistic...and genius. A scary combination.

Why would Sun lie? It seems out of her nature. And the timing is off for this to be anything but a very young developing embryo. She's very petite -she would at least show slightly. I have to believe in miracles. The show has pushed that down our throats enough.

Now, if only we could find Walt...

Angela12

Angela12

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:35 PM

Usually people are burning up the threads after an episode, but there's an odd lull in here tonight. Did this episode just not rev everyone up? I thought it was pretty solid. Sun/Jin episodes always please me.

I was glad that at least Dr. Jack knows that a pregnancy test can't turn out a false positive result. The way it works is to detect a certain chemical in the urine, and if it does, that means you're preggers. It might not detect it, but it can't detect something that isn't there. Therefore, getting a positive result and not actually being pregnant = impossible. But I see on TV all the time people bubblefucking around going "Durr, it says I'm preggers but it could be wrong, couldn't it?" No, no it couldn't. Bugs me!

If indeed the baby is Jin's and is thus a "miracle," does this mean that the Island made its conception possible? Did the Island find Aaron unworthy and is looking for another Baybee to fulfill its sinister purposes?

Any name suggestions for the Kwon baby? I'm going to go with Moonshine. It'd fit with the celestial nature of Sun's name and the Jin/gin homonym that brings alcohol to mind.

Edited by Angela12, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:36 PM.