As Snarky as Dr. Cox: Complaints and Negative Opinions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

312 replies to this topic

Roark13579

Roark13579

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

Yeah, when Elliot says she hates JD's laugh, there's a caption that says it's been two weeks since the sex-pizza night. After that, they go bowling, and then they're back in the hospital for the end of it, so it seems like one more day goes by, but probably not much more than that.

Of course, in JD's mind, their time together probably lasted a lot longer than it really did. He'd certainly count the "sex buddies" period too.

Tinted

Tinted

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 5:46 AM

Letting go for a minute that three is my least favourite season because most of the time both JD and Elliot made me feel white-hot rage, I'm still horribly confused and annoyed at 'My Friend the Doctor'. So JD beat her to a code, how on earth does that have anything to do with his unresolved feelings for her?

Roark13579

Roark13579

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

I think the theory is that he's acting like a little boy on the playground, pulling the pigtails of the girl he likes. But yeah, it doesn't really work here. He was already running to the code, so it wasn't premeditated; and he's ambitious and thinks he's the best doctor in the place, so he'd try to beat anyone. When he does stop and give her the next one, who knows, maybe those few extra seconds cost that patient his life?

Tinted

Tinted

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 7:36 AM

So I was trying to figure out why I've liked Elliot so little lately and I think I've found the reason; she's become her mother. She's obsessed with money, obsessed with babies, all that makeup makes her virtually unrecognisable and she seems permenantly pissy. For example, I was watching My Identity Crisis the other day and now normally I'm not one for defending Dr. Cox when it comes to her but her 'Probably because they don't know any better' makes it seem like he did something awful and I'm pretty sure that he didn't, at least in that episode, anyway.

Rowena666

Rowena666

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

I was watching a few episodes from s2 and I was so distracted by JD's voice. In the earlier seasons, it was normal- deep and masculine, for the most part. In the later seasons, though, as he became more of a caricature, his voice got very high pitched and cartoonish.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

It definitely seems like he uses a higher pitched, cartoony voice more often as the show progressed, but he doesn't use it in every scene. Whenever he does use it, though, it pulls me right out of what's going on.

lessthanron

lessthanron

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 10:23 AM

I would say that while season three remains my favorite season, there was a few things that pissed me off about it.

1. The episode after J.D. and Elliot hook-up, they make it seem like he's being the selfish one, even though she went out of her way to sleep with him and to make him be deceitful about it.

2. J.D.'s general stupidity once he was going out with Elliot was astounding. He definitely overthought the whole thing and handled it like a toddler. Turk's idiotic advice would also be contradicted many a time in the following seasons when he tells J.D. that "Molebutt was the only one who was good for you." Which I'm sure he's said at least two or three times since he gave him such crappy advice.

3. J.D. trying to get Sean and Elliot back together was idiotic. It's like he watched the Parent Trap the night before and thought that it could actually work.

I also have a season 4 gripe.

Even though it's good continuity to have Elliot sleep with Dan since she liked him in the first season, it was just a really stupid trashy storyline to get them to be "friends". Hey, I got an idea? Why didn't they have her help J.D. through his dad dying instead and having them realize that way instead of having her sleep with Dan.

Those are just some major complaints I have. Otherwise I really haven't had a complaint with the show in a long time.

Mint Chocolate

Mint Chocolate

Posted Aug 1, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

Remember that song playing when JD and Elliott were knocking boots for Christmas? I think The Corals' "Dreaming of You" sounds a lot like Diana Ross and the Supremes' "My World is Empty Without You."

Edited by Mint Chocolate, Aug 2, 2008 @ 6:39 AM.

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

The most annoying thing to me is the lack of continuity sometimes. For instance, right after Elliot goes into private practice and sneaks a dog into the hospital, Dr. Kelso suspends her. Then, in the last episode of season 7, she tells Dr. Kelso that he can't suspend her because she's private practice. Did she just not know how that worked or something?

It's also annoying that no one ever actually reads notes before running off with them. I mean, I get that they're in a hurry, but still. JD doesn't read Elliot's note about Molly and it just says "Now we're even" and Turk didn't read JD's note about why they threw water balloons at the interns. And since JD wasn't even mad at him, I'm not sure why he would do that...

Then there's Carla insisting that nothing was wrong with Jordan pretending that Jack wasn't his. If Dr. Cox hadn't chosen to stay with her, would he have ever found out? And it's not like Jordan really had a plan to tell him.

And somehow the people at the hospital went from thinking of the Janitor as one of three personas: the brit, the dimwitted german, or the chronic stutterer to realizing how creepy he is with no transistion. How did that happen?

One word: Nina.

Danni's morph from decent girlfriend to fullblown psycho seems kind of...sudden, too.

Carla can't just decide that Dr. Cox doesn't like her because it inconveniences her.

The whole everyone-hates-the-nicknames thing. They all seemed to blame JD for the nicknames even though he wasn't the only one used them and even though Kelso coined 'Colonel Doctor.'

Amusing as it is, how does NO ONE know the Janitor's name? He wore a nametag at one point.

Why are Elliot and JD so incompatible? I mean, it can't just be a mutual fear of commitment because you really don't get all that committed after only two weeks (or however long their first go was).

And Kim! What would have happened if JD said that he wanted to stay with her and do the long-distance relationship thing even without the pregnancy? How would she have told him she was "just kidding" about the miscarriage? And why does everyone turn on JD when he says he doesn't want to be with the woman who told him his child DIED before it was born just because she's pregnant? And why did she go from 'it's okay if you can't say it yet' to 'I need someone to love me now'? Was it just because he said that he hoped he could love her not that he thought that he could?

The Jordan cutting Dr. Cox thing was just...odd.

Elliot's neurosis concerning the wedding was pretty bad. I mean, really? She can't invite Veronica because she wants to be the only one with a guy's name and she goes by Ronnie?

Turk and Carla kicking JD out was pretty bad, as was Elliot not let JD stay until he found someplace else to live.

There seems to be more scenes with Turk and Dr. Cox in them than JD and Dr. Cox lately.

Dr. Cox saying he'd Carla and Turk to his daughter's birthday party made sense, as Turk was married to Carla, but Elliot? Really? He'd invite her before JD?

When Elliot said that she wanted to wait to have sex and Jake saying that he was okay with that and then Elliot jumping him? Good God, what are they, teenagers? Was the whole point to just see if he was willing to wait?

And for that matter, why would Jake put a call from Elliot on speakerphone during a meeting? That's done a lot in comedies, but you'd think that common sense would dictate that your girlfriend might say something you don't want your colleagues to hear.

And where did Molly/JD even come from? They'd barely met before, aside from JD being annoyed that she can't get his name right.

And I HATE the way JD says "Perry." It just sounds so...smug.

Edited by Sarah1281, Dec 2, 2008 @ 11:31 AM.

AcidTeen

AcidTeen

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

Got the 9th and FINAL SEASON EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DVD set and am a bit pissed off regarding the deleted scenes and lack of commentaries. I know that they had various actors, like Johnny C. doing lame ass online commenting as the episode played, but no audio commentaries.

LAME, Bill Lawrence.

As for the deleted scenes, it's cool that Bill Lawrence talks about them, but did he have to talk over the fucking dialogue??!! Just have him introduce them and then show the fucking thing. A major unforgiveable fuckup.

MarkMan

MarkMan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

"" Cant claim to care for season 9, and in my mind it doesn texist, but what really pissed me off when the last episode of that season didnt have a commenatry. really annoying.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I agree with so very strongly with so very many of the criticisms expressed in this thread: JD's sad decrease in likability and increase in insufferable smugness and how-is-he-not-institutionalized wackiness; how very tiresome and detrimental to both characters the JD/Elliott roller coaster became, though both characters' relationships with other characters (Kim, Keith etc.) somehow managed to be even lamer (no easy feat!); and how the show's general tone became so smirking, self-indulgent and far 'out there', with the drama moving from poignant to treacly and the comedy devolving from some of the most clever I'd come across to just plain obnoxious and dopey.
I think so many shows that survive past the first three or four seasons understandably struggle with characterization. One common problem is that, in an attempt to show growth and maturity, characters can 'grow' right out of the salient traits and relatable, amusing foibles which made them unique in the first place, replaced by duller and more generic shadows of their former nuttily flawed selves. And then there's the opposite problem, and one from which Scrubs suffered more than perhaps any other show I've loved: that all the characters become painfully exaggerated, shrill, over-the-top caricatures, with characters who were occasionally snarky becoming flat-out vicious, or characters who were moderately neurotic becoming deeply, scarily insane, etc.

I'm curious as to whether others who were disillusioned with the later seasons of the show found that they loved and appreciated the earlier seasons even more by contrast, or whether those later seasons retrospectively soured them on even formerly beloved earlier seasons. I needed an extended sabbatical from this show, but I'm happily surprised to find that S1-S2 still hold up as among my favorite seasons of any show, ever---amazingly witty, charming, relatable, layered, clever, and more emotionally resonant for me than any other sitcom I've ever seen. I'm once again able to enjoy them immensely, as long as I conveniently repress most of what follows!

Edited by MsTaken, Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:41 AM.

Sucia

Sucia

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I wish that Bill Lawrence and co. had stuck with their original plan and revealed Janitor as just a figment of JD's imagination at the end of Season 1. The character of Janitor did nothing for me throughout the series.

Edited by Sucia, Aug 5, 2012 @ 9:05 AM.