Worst Opening (And Closing) Credits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

140 replies to this topic

ConnieVandelay

ConnieVandelay

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:33 PM

I looked through every page of the TV Potluck forum before I made this topic. I even looked in the stuff from 2004.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a recent thread on this.

My votes for worst opening credits will have to go to 2 shows in the soap opera genre -- Young and The Restless and One Life To Life. First, One Life To Life:

The last time I watched this show was in 2003 and I remember in the credits they would show the actor/actresss and the kyron (sp?) it would have the characters name (I stress, not the actor/actress real name, but their chracter's name, and just the first name of the character) . I thought that was so cheesy, I had never seen that before in a soap, usually its just the actor/actress and their real name.

The 2nd goes to Young And The Restless for its dated credits. Now I know the show uses revolving credits, some characters are shown, some are not some days. In the credits they always show Lauralee Bell (aka, Christine/Cricket/TheBug) and she's only on the show once a month, if that. And the ancient shots of Ashley (back when she was wearing wigs due to Ashley having cancer and what not) in the opening credits too. The credits don't even include characters that have been on the show for a year or longer such as Gloria or (I think) the new Mackenzie but I think she's leaving the show anyway, so. I don't even think Neil (Kristoff Saint John?) is in the opening credits and he's been on the show forever.

---

My other vote would have to go to the shortlived Jason Alexander show Listen Up. I don't remember what it looked like but I still have it stuck in my head. It was the kids voices and the wifes voices, and Malcom Jamal Warner's chracter saying "mom", "dad", "(Jason's characters name)", and at the end Jason would go, "LISTEN UP!". That was just ... stupid.

Brightblue

Brightblue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:55 PM

This is sort of a generic response to the topic. I hate it when they donít update them as the years go by like Little House and Step by Step for a long time Ė LHOPís were terrible when they did too, just floating ovals in the frame. Gag.

More specifically I hated Surfaces credits. How boring, and worse the credits were in the middle of the show, shoot you watched 10 minutes before they were done playing them, I hate that!

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 3:03 PM

Word on not updating the credits. Not every show has to update them three times a year like Friends did, but at least every other year they should do something different. It doesn't make sense--the women on Golden Girls all look older in the credits than in the epsiodes themselves in the latter seasons, making some of their cosmetic surgery EXTREMELY obvious.

I don't like the opening credits on Desperate Housewives. The theme song does nothing for me, either. The credits for The Practice were nausea-inducing.

Edited by jonnypaul12, Mar 20, 2006 @ 3:04 PM.

Winged Nike

Winged Nike

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 3:12 PM

The credit sequence I've hated the most was The Cosby Show's calypso dance sequence one. The music drove me crazy, and the dancing, waving arms thing annoyed me.

leebeasy

leebeasy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 3:56 PM

don't like the opening credits on Desperate Housewives. The theme song does nothing for me, either.

ITA. It goes on far too long, I'm glad they have shorten it. Also call me superficial but I prefer to see shots of the person with their name.

bluejaylove

bluejaylove

Stalker

• Interests:TV (The Office, Big Bang Theory, Parks And Recreation, How I Met Your Mother, Community, etc.), music (U2, etc.), karaoke, drinking, dancing, hanging out with others, etc.

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:08 PM

Re: One Life to Live

"I remember in the credits they would show the actor/actresss and the kyron (sp?) it would have the characters name (I stress, not the actor/actress real name, but their chracter's name, and just the first name of the character) . I thought that was so cheesy, I had never seen that before in a soap, usually its just the actor/actress and their real name."

----------

Ditto on OLTL...that was some cheesy (bleep)! But most soap opening are really cheesy anyway. Speaking of which, I HATE the Days of our Lives closing deal where at the end, the characters freeze and zooms in and it's always some incredibly cheesy and over-the-top effect, usually fire in the background. Ohh, God, one of the reasons I hardly watch that show anymore.

I also hated the opening credits of Saved by the Beel: The College Years. It was just blah..."Standing at the edge of tomorrow...."

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:12 PM

The song playing during the end of Charmed. Ugh. The opening song is great (even though it's not original to witches), it great. How they could choose this pablum to end the show is unforgivable. Kind of an indicator of the quality of the show over the last few years.

Rwrap257

Rwrap257

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:16 PM

The Big Love credits are much too cheesy and use waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much symbolism...or at least they try to make it seem like they are.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:33 PM

General Hospital's opening credits are really bad. From opening with the greasy midget mobster Napoleon Bone A Tart, aka Sonny Corinthos, to the closing pan shot of all the male actors. Nothing like that of the women. It's so symbolic of the head writers' misogyny.

lilxprincess

lilxprincess

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:45 PM

I really hate the Grey's Anatomy credits. They just don't seem to fit with the show for me.

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:54 PM

LOST's "credit" has creeped me out since Day 1, and continues to do so.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 4:59 PM

I really hate the Grey's Anatomy credits.

Ditto.

Smallville's season 5 credits are horrible. They use to have decent credits then they had to revamp it for season 5, now it's horrible.

Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 5:05 PM

Don't care much for the GA either. It's just too meh for me.

Edited by Meaghan Edwards, Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:38 PM.

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 5:05 PM

I fucking hated The Rosie O'Donnell Show's opening and theme. It was way too cute, and the last lyric would always change to give a shout-out to that particular episode's guest star. For instance, "She's precious and she's rare, it's the fabulous Cher! It's The Rosie O'Donnell Show!" Gag.

I also hated when Knots Landing changed its opening credits to a mess of watercolors and black and white portraits of the cast that made them all look pretentious. Fortunately, all the viewers hated it and they were forced to change it after only one season.

And the ancient shots of Ashley (back when she was wearing wigs due to Ashley having cancer and what not) in the opening credits too. The credits don't even include characters that have been on the show for a year or longer such as Gloria or (I think) the new Mackenzie

ConnieVandelay, I once read an article where a soap producer said that it costs thousands of dollars to change just one image in the opening credits of a show. And because soaps are on such strict budgets, that's why the opening credits are rarely updated. Now, I have no idea why it costs so much or where the expense would come in...

Edited by Anyone Bueller, Mar 20, 2006 @ 5:08 PM.

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching way too much TV.

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 5:53 PM

Word. I think the song is annoying; and last season when they had the eyelash curler on the tray with the surgical instruments... yuck. At least now they've shortened it.

not on boats

not on boats

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 6:03 PM

I don't know that it was ever played on TV, but the music for the end credits of the West Wing on DVD is just awful. It's up-beat and whimsical, and so jarring when the show ends on a sad or angry note.

danablue

danablue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 7:33 PM

I once read an article where a soap producer said that it costs thousands of dollars to change just one image in the opening credits of a show. And because soaps are on such strict budgets, that's why the opening credits are rarely updated. Now, I have no idea why it costs so much or where the expense would come in...

Huh. Most people could probably do it on their home computer.

While I like The Amazing Race, they have GOT to get rid of that creepy, slow head turn that the couples do. It reminds me of the undead, sloooowly turning to its tasty next victim.

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 7:33 PM

I don't like the Veronica Mars opening credits. The song kind of bothers me, so I change the channel everytime the credits come up.

Nikkei

Nikkei

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

While I like The Amazing Race, they have GOT to get rid of that creepy, slow head turn that the couples do.

But it's the only way you see just how rough everyone on the show looks without make-up.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:20 PM

Smallville's season 5 credits are horrible. They use to have decent credits then they had to revamp it for season 5, now it's horrible

Please tell me they fixed Kristin Kruek's name.

NJMark

NJMark

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 12:42 PM

One of the worst has to be Twin Peaks. With no pictures or character names, they listed about 20 performers, none of whom I'd recognize on sight, and concluded with "and Joan Chen as..."

Thanks, that's the one I could figure out for myself!

Edited by NJMark, Apr 17, 2006 @ 3:17 AM.

Fat Elvis 007

Fat Elvis 007

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 8:14 PM

Smallville's season 5 credits are horrible. They use to have decent credits then they had to revamp it for season 5, now it's horrible

Nope. Which is very indicative of the lack of attention to detail that plagues this entire show.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:37 PM

lol! Oh my!

Worst theme song to me would have to be the one for What's happening?. It has that dreadful brass accompanied with that annoying "boing" in the background.

Edited by VersesBatman, Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:38 PM.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:08 AM

One of the worst theme songs was the one for Enterprise. What made matters worse for me was the fact that I felt compelled to sing along with it, despite how horrible it was.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:15 AM

Nope. Which is very indicative of the lack of attention to detail that plagues this entire show.

No they did. It was Kristen Kreuk and then they fixed it to Kristin Kreuk. The mistake was fixed after the first episode.

One of the worst theme songs was the one for Enterprise. What made matters worse for me was the fact that I felt compelled to sing along with it, despite how horrible it was.

Right on. Except they sorta redeemed themselves with the kick ass evil opening credits.

PunIntended

PunIntended

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:41 AM

I really didnt like Alias's season 4 credits. Syd overload with a weird version of the original theme song.

I always thought the Family Matters credits were funny because for every actor it would show them doing some random task and then they would stop and smile at the camera when their name would appear on the screen.

lith4

lith4

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:55 AM

Agreed! I'm so happy it's been shortened. I just found it creepy.

Enterprise did have the worst theme song (the Mirror Universe opening was one of the best opening though).

I'm not a fan of the Amazing Race's opening credits. Not the worst, but annoying.

jayseyfield

jayseyfield

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 3:02 AM

Agreed! I'm so happy it's been shortened. I just found it creepy.

I found the shot of the feet in bed really offputting.

It's not quite an opening credit but the NBA on ABC opening music blows. They should have kept the NBA on NBC music by Tesh. Stupid idiots.

Chaotic Blue

Chaotic Blue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 3:58 AM

The L Word opening, it's just so awful in every possible way. Horrible song, ugly montage..

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:12 AM

the closing pan shot of all the male actors. Nothing like that of the women.

I wondered about this when I caught an ep recently... I haven't been a regular GH viewer for probably 20 years, but I agree it slights the female cast members atrociously.

I personally hate the Lost opening, and I'm only grateful it's so brief. Didn't it win an award for best theme song or something?