6-2: "Join the Club" 2006.03.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

785 replies to this topic

Kim

Kim

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 7:55 PM

What club?

Professor K

Professor K

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:00 PM

Ooof. Painful to watch. My HBO subscription should now come with a bottle of xanax.

umme

umme

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Is it just me? This didn't air on any of my HBOs tonight except for the Latin one so it was in Spanish!!!!

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:00 PM

AJ is a mess. I oscillated between hating him for his attitude and feeling sorry for him. I don't think Tony would be too happy that AJ will not only follow in his footsteps, but whack Jun as his entry into the Family. Madonn'!

This is the first time in the whole series where I thought Tony could really die. It feels so...weird.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

I know there was symbolism galore, but for someone who just likes to sit and vegetate while watching television, what the hell did all of it mean? The dream? The music? The monks?

Did it even mean anything, or am I thinking too much into all of this? Argh.

Edited by Stinger97, Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:03 PM.

Killacal

Killacal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

WHAT AN EPISODE!

I loved it, I hope AJ makes good on his promise for better or worse.

The AJ/Tony scene really hit close to home for me having gone through a similar thing when my dad was in the ICU.

I can't wait for next week!

Rensel

Rensel

wow. Another emmy for Edie Falco. What an amazing actress. She takes my breath away.

Raj MahTaj

Raj MahTaj

Video Archivist

Wow. Great motherjumping episode.

Most emotionally intense ep since Employee of the Month. Pass the tissues.

Edited by Raj MahTaj, Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:02 PM.

Lillith

Lillith

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

VERY intense. Another Emmy for Edie Falco.

I wanted to slap both Janice and AJ, they managed to make it all about them. I knew a girl like Janice who would be fine one second and would turn on the water works the moment she thought it would bring attention.

And the power struggle begins. So much happened, I've got to process a bit more I think.

SharonDee

SharonDee

Channel Surfer

I loved how our first clue that Tony is dreaming is that no one sounds like him- or herself. Not Carmela, not the kids. Not even Tony. The Jersey mobster accent is totally gone, leaving what must have been Gandolfini's real life accent.

JonW81

JonW81

Couch Potato

AJ, you are such a little shit. You actually make Meadow look good, which is a statistical impossibility.

Also, Edie Falco rocks.

lastexit

lastexit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

I thought for sure the dream was Tony's life if he had chosen not to go the family way.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This will require multiple viewings.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Isn't this 6-2?

Anyway, I thought whoever mentioned before about Finn possibly being gay was crazy, but you cannot deny the implications of "Finn is coming out......" Long pause before anything else was said. Then Meadow says it again later.

The completely unSopranos-like accent by Tony was hilarious. And I could not decide if that was Carmella on the phone or someone else.

ANd yes, Edie Falco gets another Emmy for the scene with her and Tony in the ICU.

I took the "alternate Tony" part not as a dream but as Tony being in Limbo. Limbo in the heaven-he**-Christian sense that is, not in the small L "limbo."

The part about diagnosing Alzheimer's based on an MRI bugged me, especially since the doctor was not even pointing to the cerebral cortex when he was pointing out the "dark spots," but I assume that has some other meaning and is not meant to be taken literally. I hope at least. Don't ever let anyone tell you Alzheimer's is diagnosed based on an MRI.

Edited by HickoryColt, Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:10 PM.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Maybe The Club of Tony Watcher-Over'ers.

Nice to hear Gandolofini's real voice, or close to it. Great job as Alt-Tony. And the diagnosis of Alzheimer's--geez. My mom's cousin died of it at 58, so early onset does happen.

Meadow is indeed being the Guide to the Soul right now. I don't know why she's being so tetchy with Finn (maybe it's the stress) but I'm proud of her.

Great, great job by Robert Iler. This is probably the second time in my life I have typed that.

And etch Edie Falco's name on the Actress Emmy right now. Woman even let her real hair color show.

Junior--crazy or not? Last week I was sure--this week...

sourdoh

sourdoh

Couch Potato

I know this is sad, but I think "The Sopranos" has become the most stressful thing in my life. At the end, I was just emotionally exhausted. I think it was a great episode. AJ--still incredibly annoying, but at least he came around a little bit. Once again, Edie Falco's acting was superb. As was James Gandolfini's--I thought it might hurt to have to force yourself to breathe like you're on a ventilator. I also liked his "everyday businessman" portrayal, the accent was lessened I noticed.

Best comic relief moment: Vito's "Maybe he was a homo and couldn't talk to anybody about it." Completely made me bust out laughing.

MsFortune

MsFortune

Loyal Viewer

Guess AJ has his Michael Corleone moment and will start taking up the family business

George Zip

George Zip

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:05 PM

Tony's "dream wife" sounded an awful lot like Gloria Trillo/Anabella Sciorra. I didn't see her in the closing credits, though.

Edie Falco deserves all the superlatives she gets. I've hated the Carmella character from pretty much day 1, but the first time she started crying tonight in the hospital, I actually felt bad. And sad. And "Go eat breakfast" to AJ was said with such controlled venom that I can't imagine any child not being afraid of her.

Kudos to Christopher for maybe his first insightful line ever. "I think you come here because you miss us." Nice one.

Lochnessanyc

Lochnessanyc

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

Did that sound like Ade as "Tony"'s wife on the other end of the phone line to anyone else?

What are the issues that Carmela had with Junior that she alluded to when speaking to the police? I am totally blanking.

missmez

missmez

Fanatic

I thought that was uber boring. Even the goddamn dream sequences were boring. I liked it better when Tony dreamed of bugs on Ralphie's head.

The idea of having to watch it again to look for death symbols in the dream makes me a sad panda bear.

I did enjoy seeing Tony bitch slapped by a buddhist monk. Also, Chrissie's snaking Paulie's gift idea was funny, too.

What are the issues that Carmela had with Junior that she alluded to when speaking to the police? I am totally blanking.

She resented his trying to have Tony killed.

Edited by missmez, Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:06 PM.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

I was starting to think that A.J. stood for Absolute Jerk-off. Then, he had to go and get weepy by Tony's bed. Man, I am so owned by this show.

I have absolutely no idea what Tony's dream means. The Plaza dream was easier to figure out than this. The obvious answer seems to be, "Where am I going?"

I predict that Edie Falco wins an Emmy for this episode alone. Loved the little sparring between her and Rosalee. Sorry to see that Meadow is still yanking her boyfriend's chain though.

Ahh, Janice has Livia's blood in her. Such a drama queen. Guess her short memory blocked out her hopes of seeing Richie whack Tony.

Vito's starting to irritate me. He's made it on to my whacking list, and I don't mean the sexual kind.

YouFolksIsCrazy

YouFolksIsCrazy

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:07 PM

Is it jsut me or did the voice of Tony's wife in the coma sound like Charmaine's? (Suppose "plain joe" Tony was destined to marry her?)

fluttergrrl

fluttergrrl

"With your father in a coma"

Meadow looks anorexic.

AJ will soon be in the family business.

Tony has a painful looking incision.

When I saw dead Gene, I felt like "Aaw! I don't care about him any more! Take me back to Tony!". 2 episodes. 2 funerals. So, is Sil temporarily #1 now?

Matoush got a mention!!! Watch it, Chrissie!

Aj's speech brought tears to my eyes because when season 5 ended I had a father and when season 6 began I didn't. However, I did enjoy the dialogue between Ro and Carm. For Ro, I guess experience bred insight.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Edie was amazing!!! Carmela really loves him, she does.

Amazing episode....one that I'll have to watch a few more times in order to catch all the symbolism.

Word! to the ambivalance over AJ...you hate him, you feel sorry for him. I think Carm was on the right track when she said that AJ just couldn't deal with his emotions over his father...although that doesn't excuse him from being an asshole.

Was the person playing Tony's wife in his dream someone we know? I wasn't sure.

squibbsey

squibbsey

Just Tuned In

Wow. Just beautiful.

Funny, I saw a review of the first four episodes (Salon maybe?) that said the first one was great, but that fans might not like #s 2 & 3. I don't know what that critic was thinking....

How brilliant is a show that makes you cry for a sociopath?

Celina

Celina

Fanatic

Best comic relief moment: Vito's "Maybe he was a homo and couldn't talk to anybody about it." Completely made me bust out laughing.

That, and "he Marvin Gayed his own nephew." Bwah.

ITA that the acting was great, but am I the only person who was a teeny bit bored?

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

I really think that the hotel was a kind of hell. Particularly when he is attempting to run down the stairs that are painted red from the 7th floor like (Dante's Inferno). Also, the flames on TV, and the bartender when asked how Costa Mesa is "like death."

usmc5855

usmc5855

Loyal Viewer

I hated the alternate Tony bit, thought it went on too long, although I did love the initial Helicopter-that-was-the-Flashlight-checking-pupils. The was done awesome.

The repressed homosexuality of Vito is creepy. Like creepy child molester creepy.
I feel bad for Finn who decided to join the family to ensure his long term survivial, with Tony gone he may lose that protection.

Wish they gave a better timeline for days past.

Jack Black- I mean AJ is turning into a total loser-Is he even smart enough for Family work?

Wonder if the feds have the ICU bugged?

Wonder why they threw in Mohammad and Ahkmed? Will Chris do something stupid with terrorism?

Chris bought the car.

Janice accepting no responsibility that she was not there.

ballbuster

ballbuster

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Chase, have you been hiding in a closet at my house and observing my family? Cause that whole show was eerily similar to what I went through with my mom a few years ago. Especially the AJ storyline. My brother exactly.

Love this season so far!

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Good ep.

Can AJ be anymore annoying? Janice and even Meadow, too? Jeez. I found it funny Carm probably thought he was talking to "Anthony Soprano" about some deep, emotional feelings, not the new Mustang. What did Carm mean by "while your father is in a coma"? Did she mean who cares while your father is in a coma or you flunked out while your father is in a coma?

Congrats to D. Chase. He always manages to make us see these people are some of the world's biggest degenerates... Paulie, Chris, Vito, Sil, Bobby, even Uncle Jun'.

I loved the Ro' appearance.

I thought the 2 Arabs in the "Bing" were going to get it for a second.

I'll need to see this a few times before I can give an opinion on the dreams.

ghostchant

ghostchant

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

line of the ep: "I'm gonna put a bullet in his f'in mummy head"

heh