Precious Brats and Dorks: Kids in Commercials

• Please log in to reply

1182 replies to this topic

daisycat71

daisycat71

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

There are rotten or foolish kids in commercials who make me wonder about the future of society. The kids in the homework help program ad who break into song and dance featuring Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop" are inviting ridicule from other kids, but since it appears to be the whole school, they need to import some rival school's kids who can kick their asses. There's also the whiny Pediasure brat who doesn't like anything, who should either starve or face the chicken like Joan Crawford made Christina face the meat.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 7:41 PM

Ooooh! Hate that Pediasure kid. My response to her litany of "I don't like broccoli" "I don't like chicken" blah blah would be "Sucks to be you then, because that's what's for dinner." I sure as hell wouldn't be buying her Pediasure unless she was ill or something. What's wrong with that mom? She just looks amused at her daughter's constant whining, then watches adoringly while she drinks the Pediasure instead of eating real food.

Anakerie

Anakerie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 7:55 PM

Is it so wrong of me to want Burger King to jump out from behind a stack of canned peas and scar that horrid little child for life?

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:39 AM

I hate every child who has ever appeared in those "Kidz Bop" commercials. I hate the product. I hate their shrill little voices massacring songs, most of which were terrible to begin with. I wish they would all just go away.

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:46 AM

My favorite commercial with a kid actor was one for Ikea, many years ago. It's about a boy who has just moved and isn't looking forward to making new friends. He says something about how his mom says to go across the street and introduce himself, and he mocks the idea, saying, "Hi, I'm Billy, can I be your friend?" in a deliberately pitiful voice. Kid cracked me up.

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

I actually think the new Pampers commercials are funny. That little black boy and girl are both really cute and not annoying like most other Pampers kids.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 1:46 PM

The Welches grape juice kids make me not want to buy grape juice.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

I really like the Pediasure kid. Not the brat so much, but the little actress who plays her is just so goddamn cute.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:48 PM

Anakerie, if that's wrong then I don't wanna be right.

etain

etain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

My favorite commercial with a kid actor was one for Ikea, many years ago. It's about a boy who has just moved and isn't looking forward to making new friends. He says something about how his mom says to go across the street and introduce himself, and he mocks the idea, saying, "Hi, I'm Billy, can I be your friend?" in a deliberately pitiful voice.

"My parents want me to go across the street and introduce myself -- 'Hi, I'm Zach, the new dork across the street. Do you have any kids my age?'" Followed with a sidelong glance off camera and sticking his tongue out.

I remember it well, apparently.

Edited by etain, Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:24 AM.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

I saw a commercial with some cute kids in it during the Amazing Race yesterday. There was a kid sitting at a lunch table and he had nothing to eat, so the boy sitting across from him slipped him some milk and an orange under the table. I thought that it was a nice ad.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 7:05 PM

I really loathe the Ovaltine kids. All of them. Are they coached to be as obnoxious and unnatural as possible? It's unsettling.

Rwrap257

Rwrap257

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 7:34 PM

I hate every child who has ever appeared in those "Kidz Bop" commercials. I hate the product. I hate their shrill little voices massacring songs, most of which were terrible to begin with. I wish they would all just go away.

*shudder* It's not the kids fault....it's the ignorant idiots who decided it would be a good idea to make bad songs even worse.
Plus....some of those songs aren't even appropriate for children to be singing if you get right down to it....

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 7:49 PM

Plus....some of those songs aren't even appropriate for children to be singing if you get right down to it....

Heh. Rob Thomas' Lonely No More comes to mind; also This Love, by Maroon 5: "I tried so hard to feed her appetite/ to keep her coming every night/ So hard to keep her satisfied..."
Uh, yeah. A complete list of Kidz Bop songs can be found here, alot of them innappropriate for young kids, IMO.
Topic? I find pretty much ALL children in commercials to be annoying.

Edited by labprincess, Mar 22, 2006 @ 7:54 PM.

Rwrap257

Rwrap257

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

HOT IN HERE?

I do NOT want my children singing or listening to a song about taking their clothes off...

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 8:07 PM

Thanks, Etain! The complete version is better than I remembered.

Wow, that's a frightening list of Kidz Bop songs. And how do they cover Axel F, exactly?

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 8:12 PM

Maybe they replace some of the lyrics, like they used to do on The Mickey Mouse Club. I remember the kids singing "Opposites Attract", and they replaced the lines "I hate cigarettes/I like to smoke" with "I like red/I like blue". I shit you not. I will now go crawl into a hole and die of shame that I still remember this.

Topic? That Shake and Bake girl from a few years ago creeped me out to no end. Total children of the corn vibe from her. And I actually like children

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

That Shake and Bake girl from a few years ago creeped me out to no end.

I don't remember that one, but back in the 60s and 70s, there was a series of commercials with what was supposed to be a southern US family having chicken for dinner. It ends with Mama telling Daddy that's it's not fried chicken, it's Shake-N-Bake, and the little daughter says, "And Ah hay-yulped!" in an accent not found on this planet. Loathing. Sheer and utter loathing.

I don't appreciate being lectured by the Welch's brats, either.

janeybird

janeybird

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 2:22 PM

I don't appreciate being lectured by the Welch's brats, either.

And in that vein, I completely detest the little girl in the Kraft Singles commercial that is asking her dad "Did you know that Kraft Singles contains as much calcium as a glass of milk and helps develop strong bones and teeth that a growing girl like me needs?"(Paraphrasing)
Her voice manages to be both patronizing and monotone and the same time and her dufus dad says "Yeah, I totally knew that" No you didn't, you dork.

ETA:Proper spelling rocks

Edited by janeybird, Mar 23, 2006 @ 2:27 PM.

i am unoriginal

i am unoriginal

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 2:25 PM

There was one commercial, not unlike Kid's Bop, but for some religous rock, that haad the most annoying kids ever. They were all blond and precocious, and singing about Jesus, but while doing dance moves that would put Kid's Bop to shame. It was completely innapproriate, and just weird.

givemeakleenex

givemeakleenex

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 2:37 PM

"And Ah hay-yulped!" in an accent not found on this planet.

Oh, hee! My friend and I say this all the time. Never fails to crack us up. Apparently, we're easily amused.

ashwini

ashwini

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 5:12 PM

The Mederma kids. I'm not sure if they belong here or in the Horrors thread, but -- ughhh.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:11 AM

There are two Jiff commercials that I snark on:

The one with the sleepover. The first girl ask her friend if she wants to play cards. The friend goes, "No," then she asks to watch a video. The friend says, "Maybe a sleepover was a bad idea." Then the first girl decides to make them a snack and all is well. I couldn't help but think that the friend was a picky guest.

The other one is where a dad is making a sandwich and his little girl asks why he fold his over. He says his dad did the same thing and he wants to do what his dad did. She then says, "That's silly.". But then procedes to fold her sandwich the same way. Huh? Something about that little girl rubbed me the wrong way.

C.

C.

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:05 AM

She then says, "That's silly.". But then procedes to fold her sandwich the same way. Huh? Something about that little girl rubbed me the wrong way.

What bugs me about that ad is that she seems embarassed to be copying her dad. What kind of humiliation has he wrought on her previously that she's ashamed to be like him?

Edited by C., Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:05 AM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:13 AM

I have a feeling she's going to grow up to be like that shrew on the Century 21 commercial.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 5:31 AM

There was an ad a few years ago, I forget for what. Possibly some headache pill. Anyways, the mom was on the phone and her daughter was drawing all over the walls, and I thought that this was one of the cutest little kids ever.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 9:32 AM

The one with the sleepover. The first girl ask her friend if she wants to play cards. The friend goes, "No," then she asks to watch a video. The friend says, "Maybe a sleepover was a bad idea." Then the first girl decides to make them a snack and all is well. I couldn't help but think that the friend was a picky guest.

I seriously HAAATE the little girl in that commercial. What a little bitch. When I was a little kid, I would have loved to play crazy eights or watch a princess video. I know some folks think she's just being shy, or is scared to be away from home or something, but I think she's just the brattiest brat that ever bratted. Or something like that.

Francie Nolan

Francie Nolan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 11:30 AM

This is an Old Skool commercial but I love it: anyone remember the Verison ad with the interacial family? The little boy was so cute! In one they have him talking to his grandma on the phone. He's lying on his back tellling her about his day while wearing plastic flippers on his feet. I'm fully convinced that they just filmed him as he was actually on the phone, it was all so natural. Recently I saw him in an ad for Disneyland and I squeeled like a proud aunt. He's so grown up now!

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

And in that vein, I completely detest the little girl in the Kraft Singles commercial that is asking her dad "Did you know that Kraft Singles contains as much calcium as a glass of milk and helps develop strong bones and teeth that a growing girl like me needs?"(Paraphrasing)
Her voice manages to be both patronizing and monotone and the same time and her dufus dad says "Yeah, I totally knew that" No you didn't, you dork.

I totally agree with this. This ad sets my teeth on edge. But what annoys me the most is the last bit, where the Dad asks for a bite, and the little girl smirks and says, "You're not the one that's growing, Dad." In other words, "Get your own food." Nice.

Camanda

Camanda

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:39 PM

I totally agree with this. This ad sets my teeth on edge. But what annoys me the most is the last bit, where the Dad asks for a bite, and the little girl smirks and says, "You're not the one that's growing, Dad." In other words, "Get your own food." Nice.

I agree, but why does he just give in and let her be a brat? Are today's parents of young children really such pushovers? My old man helps himself to my food when we're at restaurants. His logic is that he paid for it and he's going to have a bite if he wants a bite. That father needs to teach that little snotburger a lesson in finances. He should tell her that he's getting old and he needs calcium to keep his bones strong so he can keep working until he's 85 just so he can put her through college, and then take her damn sandwich.