Disturbing, Depressing, Draining: "Not The Intended Message" Commercials

• Please log in to reply

4748 replies to this topic

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I hate the new ESPN ads with the ordinary guy named Michael Jordan. The poor guy is just trying to go through the day and he keeps being treated badly by service people who think he's the NBA superstar. I feel sorry for him and the ads don't inspire me to watch ESPN.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Why would people treat Michael Jordan badly?

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

What exactly is this piece of sod doing with that woman's towels?

I don't know, but I don't think those are grass stains...

Edited by cynicat x, May 1, 2012 @ 6:52 PM.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Why would people treat Michael Jordan badly?

Because they are disappointed when he shows up and they find that they aren't dealing with the "real" Michael Jordan.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Ohhh! I thought you meant, people were treating him badly because they were intending to treat the "real" Michael Jordan badly, and thought he was him.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Actually, I like that "not THE Michael Jordan" commercial. I sometimes wonder about people who have famous names, especially if they had the name before it became famous. For instance, at my local Home Depot store there is a manager who's name is Harry Potter. Sometimes you hear them paging him and the reactions on the faces of the shoppers in the aisles who didn't know such a person worked there are priceless.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

I started off feeling bad for not-THE-Michael-Jordan, but realized he could easily say "no, not THAT Michael Jordan" at any point when making reservations, etc.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

What exactly is this piece of sod doing with that woman's towels?

I don't know, but I don't think those are grass stains...

I'm just greatful that whitish stuff is laundry soap!

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Every time the currently airing ad for US Cellular with a woman talking about her family's cell phone plan, I think she's saying that she has "5 self abusers" in her house rather than "5 cell phone users."

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

I think she's saying that she has "5 self abusers" in her house rather than "5 cell phone users."

Maybe they're both.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I sometimes wonder about people who have famous names, especially if they had the name before it became famous.

Ob Office Space: "Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks!"

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Meanwhile, I saw the ad for (I think) Arbys where the hand comes out of the bag, and only one thing jumps into my mind with that one: all the urban legends where people find body parts in their food and drink.

I thought, are times so tough that Thing from The Addams family is having to moonlight at a fast-food restaurant?

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Shaking the hand from the bag would not be my first thought. Running and yelling? Probably. Maybe even suing for bady parts put into my food. Duh.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Why didn't he notice the hand when he took his food out of the bag?

Edited by ubi, May 11, 2012 @ 12:40 PM.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Nooooo! Arby's has brought back "Oven Mitt," except this time he's nekkid and hiding in take out bags.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

This definitely falls under "not the intended message". There's a new commercial for Kay Jewelers "Open Heart" necklace with a man who is speaking to his future step-daughter proclaiming how happy he is to be marrying her mother and how happy he is that she is in his life too then gives her an Open Heart necklace. It's supposed to be sappy but all I can wonder is when she will be the next victim on SVU.

OMG, I just saw this one for the first time today. It's even more disturbing than your description.

It seems like they always find the creepiest guys for these ads. Between Pedophile Stepdad and Remote Cabin Serial Killer Guy, it's like they're marketing to psychopaths.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Nooooo! Arby's has brought back "Oven Mitt," except this time he's nekkid and hiding in take out bags.

Bwah hah hah! I had totally forgotten about "Oven Mitt"!

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

The Google ads I keep seeing for their various services have gone from being a little annoying to seriously creeping me out. The one with the guy trying all levels of emotional manipulation to get back together with his ex pissed me off a little, but the newest one - with a guy on Google+ moving from being labeled a "creeper" up through various levels like "guys with cars" to "love of my life" - is just flat out disturbing.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

The Google ads I keep seeing for their various services have gone from being a little annoying to seriously creeping me out

Okay, it's not just me. I'd seen the "Love of my Life" v. "Creeper" to "Keeper" ad and felt bad for the guy. The one trying to get back together shouldn't work because it's trying too hard, imo. It's ott cheese and sentimental; I like both, but I was rolling my eyes at each new "cute" "reason". The simple ones, like the dad stockpiling moments, are better and not creepy.

I'm also a bit depressed as it seems Target isa co-opting Mom and Pop stores for their "The Stores" gimmick. 'Don't bother with a nice local store, we have small stores that are from all over the nation!' (If I am getting this wrong, I am glad to be corrected.)

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

That'as the impression I got last week at Target but cynical ol' me, I assumed they were using fake stores with cute or clever names as a gimmick.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Who knew that a clogged drain would lead to a menage a trois fantasy? In the new Liquid Plumr commercial, a woman starts fantasizing about two hunky plumbers coming to her home while holding the Liquid Plumbr Double Impact bottle. I'm sure the creators meant to sell their product using a little sex like every other product but they failed with me. Considering their selling point is to fix the "toughest clogs", I was left totally grossed out.

The disturbing part? I'm old. Ten years ago, I might've found this commercial to be very funny.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

n the new Liquid Plumr commercial, a woman starts fantasizing about two hunky plumbers coming to her home while holding the Liquid Plumbr Double Impact bottle. I'm sure the creators meant to sell their product using a little sex like every other product but they failed with me. Considering their selling point is to fix the "toughest clogs", I was left totally grossed out.

I guess she needed her pipes cleaned.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

mattie0808

mattie0808

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I hate the new ESPN ads with the ordinary guy named Michael Jordan. The poor guy is just trying to go through the day and he keeps being treated badly by service people who think he's the NBA superstar. I feel sorry for him and the ads don't inspire me to watch ESPN.

Me too. I just feel bad for the guy. And hate the people who are stupid enough to think the "real" Michael Jordan is going to grace their otherwise ho-hum day with his presence, and then take that stupidity out on this poor dude.

I'm also kind of hating whatever SUV has a commercial that is advertising its size by bragging that you can bring a "seventh wheel" with you on trips. So your car is so awesome, you and all your in-crowd friends can use a hanger-on and treat him like dirt for the privilege of nominally being part of the group. Ugh.

Edited by mattie0808, May 20, 2012 @ 3:01 PM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

Meanwhile, I saw the ad for (I think) Arbys where the hand comes out of the bag, and only one thing jumps into my mind with that one: all the urban legends where people find body parts in their food and drink.

And then there is this IRL.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

Oh dear God! I almost feel sorry for them, it's such cosmic bad timing.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Someone is about to come into a lot of money.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I guess that makes Arby's really good mood food.

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I sometimes wonder about people who have famous names, especially if they had the name before it became famous.

ESPN did a pretty funny story last season about guys named Tom Brady in the Boston area. I think Rick Riley said he went through the phone book and there were dozens of them, which made since since it's an Irish Catholic name in Boston. Most of the guys had a good time with it. They say they get phone calls with women screaming as soon as they pick up the phone. They also said that when they call to make reservations someplace, a lot of people just jump to conclusions so they roll with. LOL I did feel bad for this one high school kid who plays football. He said he'll hear people say Tom Brady in the halls at school or whatever and he'll look up naturally and the people will be like "No, we're talking about the real Tom Brady." And the kid was like, I AM a real Tom Brady.

My favorite part of the Michael Jordan commercial is when the waiter is bringing out the fancy champagne and the other waiter gives him the cut sign, so the guy quickly turns around and throws a napkin over the bottle. Hilarious.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Every time the currently airing ad for US Cellular with a woman talking about her family's cell phone plan, I think she's saying that she has "5 self abusers" in her house rather than "5 cell phone users."

I was cleaning with the TV on in the background and I heard "I have five self abusers in my house," which was enough to get me to actually look at the TV, to see what kind of product was aiming itself specifically at women with a house full of "self-abusers." And then I remembered this post.

Joystickenvy

Joystickenvy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I finally had to google this phrase just to assure myself that I'm not the only person who keeps hearing that when the commercial comes on. Thank you :>