Commonwealth Games 2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

33 replies to this topic

Rachel72

Rachel72

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 10:02 PM

I'm with you guys, I am totally shelling out for cable for the Olympics and the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

I didn't mind the closing ceremony - it was good to see Casey Donovan [/Idol fanatic], though the way they broke it up with the Andrew Gaze bit was odd. The Bollywood sequence was hilarious, especially when they started rapping. I did not much care for Crowded House girl - she has an interesting voice, but the performance was weird. The John Farnham bit at the end, with all the athletes dancing and going off around the stage, was the highlight.

Ron Walker has fake hair. He's looking more and more like Donald Trump every day.

Jana Pittman seems to have serious issues. I noticed the way she froze Tamsyn Lewis out too, and I thought that was a bit average. And what is it with deciding she didn't want to protest after all? I was happy she won the 400m, partly she has had a rough time of it of late, and partly because I thought, "Thank God, now the media can shut up about will she or won't she already." But it's all very strange.

Emeraldfire

Emeraldfire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 2:39 AM

It happened in 2000 because it was in Sydney, and Seven had the rights, and at the time they had a pay TV channel as well, C7. Foxtel didn't normally carry C7, but they "bought" the rights to carry C7 for the Olympics, and there were 2 dedicated channels. It's what made me get Foxtel. The two C7 channels carried all of the equestrian, apart from the showjumping days for the three day events, which 7 themselves showed (with commercial breaks while the Brazilians were jumping in the teams event). They also showed full sessions of the lesser known sports, as Foxtel did with the CG's, while 7 concentrated on the big ticket items such as swimming, athletics, cycling, gymnastics.

I went to Sydney for the eventing week, leaving my daughter at home with strict instructions on what to tape on what channel and when. Lucky for her she got it right!

puppytoe

puppytoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 7:55 AM

Don't you have digital TV in Australia? Or is it difficult technically in such a large country? In the UK, if you have digital, which now over 50% of viewers, the BBC has, as well as the regular programming, 6 more interactive channels which are dedicated to individual sports.

Emeraldfire

Emeraldfire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 4:26 AM

We have digital TV, the government was going to turn off analogue in 2008, but not enough of us have bought digital TVs so they are going to extend the turn off date. Digital set top boxes are quiet cheap, but it's the extra expense of new aerials as well that is turning people off. Also, I have heard people complain that the reception in fringe areas is worse with digital than with analogue.

As far as I can understand but I may have misconstrued what I have heard, multiple channels are not allowed, so that's the case, I really can't understand why bother with digital. I know ABC (the national broadcaster, equivalent of BBC) has an ABC2, which I get with my Foxtel package.