No Such Thing As Too Obscure: Simpsons References

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 6:25 PM

Stupid farmers!

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 7:31 PM

I just realized that Skinner's "Let's call her Lisa S. No, that's too obvious, let's say L. Simpson" from Lisa the Vegetarian is a reference to Pride and Prejudice.

Having never read P&P, this was news to me.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 7:37 PM

I just realized that Skinner's "Let's call her Lisa S. No, that's too obvious, let's say L. Simpson" from Lisa the Vegetarian is a reference to Pride and Prejudice.

[Lit nerd] If it's an Austen reference, it would be from Sense And Sensibility, when their teasing Elinor about Mr. Ferris [/Lit nerd]

Edited by Mod Suit, Apr 2, 2006 @ 7:37 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

I've actually been thinking of how much of Citizen Kane the Simpsons have actually referenced, and realized that if you put them all together it might actually make some sense, as whenever they do it Mr. Burns is almost always used as the stand-in for Kane.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 3:52 PM

One thing I never noticed until recently, was that Hitchcock walks by the the daycare in the scene just before (or after?) that part. Just like his cameos in his own movies.

To take this reference one step further, in that scene Hitchcock walks by with two dogs, the same way he makes his cameo in The Birds; which was the movie they were referencing.

zekeburger

zekeburger

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

This show is full of refrences I didn't get until years after I saw the episode, and now I love.

Case in point:

"C'mon Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon."
"That's not how I remember it..."

Hee.

How did I never get that till now? Doh!

Lyle Lanley and the Springfield Monorail is a takeoff of Harold Hill and The Music Man

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

Over the weekend I saw the Dancin Homer episode. Not only was it an amazingly classic episode but it also had a perfect Lou Gherig/Pride of the Yankees reference when Homer makes his speech about leaving the Isotopes.

VanClub

VanClub

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

I'm not sure, but wasn't the episode where Sideshow Bob ran for mayor opposite Quimby kind of a spoof of Glengarry Glen Ross or something?

"Oh my God! The dead have risen from the grave and are voting Republican!"

Gets me every time.

Lysander Meridith

Lysander Meridith

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2006 @ 2:19 PM

Actually, I think it was a spoof of Bob Roberts.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2006 @ 2:04 PM

While there were elements of Bob Roberts in there, it also borrowed equally from The Candidate and several other sources (including some well-known true life stories about the Chicago political machine).

Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:14 PM

I can't remember which ep it is, but there's one where Homer is in a store rapidly asking for a bunch of items from the clerk and one of the things he asks for is a bottle of Old Harper. My jaw was on the floor as I recognized the scene from American Graffitti, where the underage Terry does the same thing when trying to buy booze. I know there have been a couple of other refs to that film. Right now the only other one I can recall is the end of Summer of 4 Ft. 2" where the have the same Beach Boys song playing over the credits that plays over the credits in the film.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:17 PM

I can't remember which ep it is, but there's one where Homer is in a store rapidly asking for a bunch of items from the clerk and one of the things he asks for is a bottle of Old Harper. My jaw was on the floor as I recognized the scene from American Graffitti, where the underage Terry does the same thing when trying to buy booze. I know there have been a couple of other refs to that film. Right now the only other one I can recall is the end of Summer of 4 Ft. 2"

That's the ep. He's trying to buy illegal fireworks and asks for a bunch of embarrassing items.
Marge: "I don't know what you've got planned for tonight, but count me out!"

Earl Camembert

Earl Camembert

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2006 @ 8:43 AM

"Homer the Moe" was on last night - the one where Moe gets burned out on bartending, and goes back to his bartending alma mater (good ol' Swigmore U.).

In talking to his beloved old prof, Moe lays out this one:

"Professor, I'm, um, I'm burned out on bartending... when I first saw the movie Ironweed I thought, you know, this is for me."

All I remember about Ironweed was reading about it when it came out, and how it sounded insanely depressing. Moe does have that certain joie de vivre, doesn't he?

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2006 @ 2:24 AM

I just watched Homer The Great, and when Homer comes out from under the drapey/bunting stuff he mimics The Last Emperor. I had never noticed before.

I for some reason have seen the Last Emperor a million times - if it's on, I will watch no matter at what point in the movie I find it.

Edited by bubsy, Sep 17, 2006 @ 2:29 AM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 2:01 AM

It's not mentioned in the SNPP ep capsule, but in "Bart vs Australia", when Homer fends off the crowd in Parliament with the boot, is that from the end of "The Graduate"? Or just a coincidence?

Dekar

Dekar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 10:53 AM

I loved the musical episode where Lisa became the student president, accidentally signed away art, music, and gym, and then was transfered to another school. Especially at the end where it said something like, "This is totally not copied from that opera about Eva Peron." (paraphrased) But I don't know what the opera's name is. Does anyone know what the episode was referencing?

Edited by Dekar, Sep 29, 2006 @ 10:44 AM.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 10:59 AM

It was a take-off of the popular musical Evita.

Dekar

Dekar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

Thanks.

CharlieMarlowe

CharlieMarlowe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 1:37 PM

On the advice of our lawyers, we swear that we have never heard of a musical based on the life of Eva Peron--I laugh every time I read that. The unusually snarky Superintendent chalmers in very amusing, too. He should be in more episodes.

Irish TV Rocks

Irish TV Rocks

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 11:48 AM

I love all the Irish gags/references, my favourite though:

Homer: "Leprechaun? Don't they live in Ireland?"
Moe: "Yeah, but they come over here in the wheel wells of Aer Lingus jets."

I laughed so hard at Moes line :)

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2006 @ 10:21 PM

I finally watched Glengarry Glen Ross this weekend to see where they got Gil. Good ol' Gil. And obviously Frank Ormand, the pretzel franchiser voiced by Jack Lemmon, was modeled on the same character.

Is it me, or does Al Pacino in that movie do a Fat Tony impression? Joe Mantegna played his part in the Broadway play, so maybe that's where that came from.

Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2006 @ 5:11 AM

I love how some of the classic era episodes have bits that are funny enough in themselves without even knowing the reference, and they pick up further meaning when you understand what they're referring to. Two good examples are in the B-Sharps episode, firstly in the Paul Harvey broadcast that Grandpa and Jasper listen to:

Harvey: And that little boy who nobody liked grew up to be... Roy Cohn.
Grandpa/Jasper: Wow!

Funny given how repellent a figure he was in real life. The other reference I'm thinking of comes when their British manager is trying to rename Apu to make him more palatable and comes up with the name 'Apu Dr Beaumachais', which alludes to an eighteenth century French playwright for no particular reason: http://www.theatrehi...archais001.html

Hercules Q. Einstein

Hercules Q. Einstein

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2006 @ 1:12 PM

When I first saw the B-Sharps episode I didn't know that the Beatles had performed on the rooftop of Apple Records until the police shut it down, and that U2 had just taken it from them. So George Harrison driving by and saying "It's been done" when the B-Sharps do that at the end of the episode took on a whole new meaning once I found that out.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2006 @ 8:58 AM

I'm pretty suprised they mined Jewish folklore for the Halloween episode. I didn't think that non-Jews knew about the Golem legend. Come to think of it, they could make a great Halloween segment based on The Dybbuk, with the spirit of Maude Flanders possessing Ned.

CharlieMarlowe

CharlieMarlowe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2006 @ 9:49 AM

Well... the golem, or a golem, showed up on The X-files.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2006 @ 3:58 PM

I also had encountered Golems before, including in a video game and in my Magic and the Middle Ages college class. Shut up, I am not a game-playing, cartoon-watching nerd.

Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2006 @ 9:41 PM

If I could do screen caps, I'd be able to illustrate one of the show's more obscure visual references. The framing and character placement of that scene in Scenes From The Class Struggle in Springfield with Lisa ranting about horses and bugging Marge appears to be borrowed from a similar scene in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. The best part is that there's no attempt to give away or acknowledge the reference, so the scene still works without knowing the source.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

Speaking of screencaps has anyone seen this? It is a side by side comparison of The Shining and The Shinning. It is amazing how much of the story The Simpsons managed to capture in 7 minutes. By the way the site is in french but the pictures are still cool to look at.

chunkylover53

chunkylover53

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 7:23 AM

Je ne parle pas Francais, but that was one great website. I love they way Scatman Crothers has a pitcure of a hot black woman in his room and Groundskeeper Willie has a picture of a hot Scotswoman in his room. I totally never noticed that.

JyDanzig

JyDanzig

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 12:18 PM

I feel like I've seen The Shinning more times than any other Halloween segment, but I have no recollection of ever seeing the part that is screencapped in that site where tricycle-riding Bart encounters a ghost Sherry & Terry in the halls. Do I just not remember that because it was cut for syndication?