Can't Stop the Signal: Firefly in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

264 replies to this topic

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

Hello, this is my first time posting about Firefly, but I came across this article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It is an interview with former Fox Entertainment president Gail Berman explaining why Fox canceled Firefly.

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 9, 2011 @ 7:02 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

It is an interview with former Fox Entertainment president Gail Berman explaining why Fox canceled Firefly.

Not much of an explanation, Gail. "The numbers weren't there". Yeah, thanks for that intriguing bit of sharing there pal.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

Comparison between Cowboy Bebop and Firefly

"I'd compare this to the great TV series Firefly, except that since Firefly came out in 2002, and resembles Cowboy Bebop in many ways (including quality), I can't guess whether Firefly creator Joss Whedon was influenced by Cowboy Bebop, was deliberately doing an hommage, or created such a similar series by sheer coincidence.

"

I loved both shows... They were amazing in their own ways.

mig991

mig991

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2011 @ 7:13 AM

I had no idea FF was so popular abroad. Capt. Reynolds won top SiFi icon of the 21st Century from SFX magazine.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/

Link to interview with NF ref the Capt. http://www.sfx.co.uk...view-exclusive/

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

At the University of Wisconsin-Stout, theater professor James Miller put up a poster on his door with an image of Nathan Fillon in the character of Captain Malcolm Reynolds with one of Mal’s better lines: "You don’t know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you’ll be awake. You’ll be facing me. And you’ll be armed."

In a better world, nothing would happen — except perhaps Firefly fans would geek out and people who roll their eyes at geek culture references would roll their eyes.

In reality, the university called their "threat assessment team" because the poster "mentions violence and death" and they threatened the professor with criminal charges for "disorderly conduct."

The link has a phone number where you can call and chat with the chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Stout. I aim to misbehave.

Edited by MyAlias, Sep 26, 2011 @ 12:26 PM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

Could Netflix Bring Firefly Back From The Dead?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Nathan Fillion demonstrates his Google Maps pose, which he did outside his new house.

andi pandi

andi pandi

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Did anyone get the latest comic from Free Comic Book Day? I sadly forgot but did see a teaser with a preggers Zoe. Or maybe I'm dreaming that.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

The Avengers Intro - Firefly Style

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

HUGE news if true. Bleeding cool says Joss is going to reboot Firefly if the reunion movie does well: A Reboot Of Firefly? Joss And The Science Channel Say “Yes!”

Bleeding Cool was on the scene when Joss Whedon and The Science Channel’s Debbie Myers confirmed to a packed room of journalists that if the planned Firefly reunion movie performs well that we can expect a full Firefly series reboot. And, it seems as if Whedon plans to wipe the slates clean and bring back the entire original cast.

Nobody else seems to be reporting this, so it's probably just hopeful talk, but they tried to account for that:

Some are supposing that because Whedon followed the comment with an offhanded remark about rebooting the series with a younger cast (“Zac Effron as Simon…”) that bringing back Wash and Book is more of Whedon’s patented “snark” and are not taking the concept of a reboot seriously.

Not so; immediately upon confirming that, yes, he would like to head back to the ‘Verse again, The Science Channel’s General Manager, Debbie Myers, stated emphatically, “We can help you with that!”

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Clicking on the link, the top of the story now says they are retracting it. There is no Firefly series reboot.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

• Interests:Television, Dogs, Languages, Music, Imaginary Hallucinations, Being Weird

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 3:16 AM

I guess with Joss being busy with Marvel, there is no chance he will start writing Firefly season 2 comics? I really loved the Serenity comic books, much better than the Buffys ones, especially since the characters do actually look like the actors.

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I didn't know where else to put this...this seems the best fit - and I had to share.

I've been playing this MMO called Pirate 101; it's by Kingsisle, is a spin-off of a game called Wizard 101, and ok, yes, it's mostly aimed at kids (don't judge). Your avatar sails on ships through the sky and goes to all sorts of different lands on quests, fights battles, etc, etc. And even though it's aimed at kids, there are lots of puns and character names that would mean nothing to kids but are pretty funny to adults (though often groans are involved, too).

One of the lands you go to is called Cool Ranch, with an old west theme. I noticed hanging out in a couple taverns a background character named "Captain Reynolds" - a rooster (most of the characters are animals) gunfighter, and yes, he wears a brown coat. Interesting. Quests shift elsewhere, eventually come back to a new part of Cool Ranch and you get a brief, side quest from a scrawny rooster named Dr. Tam, who is in a hurry to leave town and needs your character to deliver him, and a big crate, to Captain Reynolds. And Captain Reynolds gives this little speech about how his jobs are "mostly legal".

I just got to a new area of Cool Ranch (the last, I think); there's an island there called "Miranda" (I haven't got that quest yet, so I don't know what's there), and my character just had to fight some renegade soldiers called BROWNCOATS.

I wonder if they have to pay royalties?

toastnbutter

toastnbutter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

anyone watch the 10 year reunion show? :)

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

anyone watch the 10 year reunion show? :)

Yeah! I'm surprised there's not more reaction to it. Summer Glau looks so great.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Amazing that Joss is standing there weeping over 10 yr. gone Firefly - so passionate when he just had the biggest movie in history (not even on dvds yet)come out.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Please Bring Firefly Back (For Christmas)

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Adding on the Pirate 101 stuff:

"Miranda" had a lot of undead people.

And there's a quest where you trade weapons to Captain Reynolds for stolen medicine.

You run into Captain Reynolds again in Mooshu (China-like land - "Moo" as in cows). He's lost his cargo and part of his crew. You have to go find his first office - Mrs. Washburn. Once you find Mrs. Washburn - and her husband, Mr. Washburn - they send you to find another member of the crew, the tough but not-terribly bright Cobb. He's a worshipped leader in a village (there's even an annoying song), and you had to find someone to take his place so he can leave (the song's really getting on his nerves).

andi pandi

andi pandi

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

hah, that game sounds fun. My kid liked wizards 101, maybe we'll try that. :)

WhatCulture

WhatCulture

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

http://whatculture.c...ly-did-best.php

5 reasons to Love Firefly!

Edited by WhatCulture, Dec 30, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Firefly to return?!
Why are they doing this to us (from time to time) just so we could have our hearts broken all over again???

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

Update of the news: 'Firefly' Revival: Nathan Fillion On The Chances Of A Reunion And The 'Dr. Horrible' Sequel

“We talk about it, we dream about it. I don’t think you could find a cast member, a writer, a director, any of the crew who’d say, ‘No, I’m out,’” Fillion admitted of “Firefly.” “People are pretty busy right now, Alan [Tudyk] is always working, and obviously Joss is pretty busy. But that would be something that I would do again in a heartbeat. There’s something about ‘Firefly’ — it was my first love. So if you get a chance to go back to your very first love, you’ll do it, right?”

*gross sobbing*

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

“We talk about it, we dream about it. I don’t think you could find a cast member, a writer, a director, any of the crew who’d say, ‘No, I’m out,’” Fillion admitted of “Firefly.” “People are pretty busy right now, Alan [Tudyk] is always working, and obviously Joss is pretty busy. But that would be something that I would do again in a heartbeat. There’s something about ‘Firefly’ — it was my first love. So if you get a chance to go back to your very first love, you’ll do it, right?”

*gross sobbing*

The only show that I cry for and because of...

Phane00

Phane00

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

There could be hope for another movie!

Have you folks seen what's going on with Veronica Mars? Just today, Rob Thomas (the show's creator) and Kristen Bell posted on Kickstarter (http://www.kickstart...s-movie-project) to raise $2 million dollars for a Veronica Mars movie. I just checked, and they've raised over $1 mil in five hours.

So come on, Joss. Just give us a number. Something to work with.

If we raise $6 mil can we get a trilogy?

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

Where was this reviewer 11 years ago???

One of the awesomest Firefly reviews ever! It was posted just 5 days ago and it has more than 60.000 views.

Keep on flyin', Browncoats!