Can't Stop the Signal: Firefly in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

264 replies to this topic

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

• Interests:Buffy, Firefly BSG, Dexter, VM, Supernatural, True Blood, Castle.

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:15 PM

Adam Baldwin's interview On the small screen, it's a small world from Newsday.com. Talks about his appearance on Bones and other things.

Although he's "branching out now to ABC," Baldwin still keeps in touch with his "Firefly" buddies, including star Nathan Fillion.

"We just had a party over at Nate's house," he says, "and Joss showed up, so we had some nice reminiscences. He's still down in the salt mines writing 'Wonder Woman,' and when he will finish with that, we don't know. I have no idea what's in his head."

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:27 PM

Aw, the Firefly cast members still love each other all these years later. Warms the heart.

Edited by prodigalchicken, Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:29 PM.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 6:10 AM

I guess this would be the best thread for the two podcasts about the 'verse. I'm a huge fan of both.

The first of course is The Signal. Now in Season 2 and in full on campaign mode. The focus is on the show and movie, and getting our Big Damn Trilogy.

The second is Firefly Talk. This one's more fan-oriented and about what's already gone on in the 'verse, plus talk about fanfic and the various Firefly forums out there.

Edited by SVNBob, Mar 16, 2006 @ 6:12 AM.

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

Space (Canada's Sci-Fi channel) is having its Annual Spacey Awards. You can vote at Spacecast.com for Serenity as your favourite movie. You can also vote for favourite, TV Show, TV Ensemble Cast (BSG, 4400, etc.) New TV Character (including Brainiac), Video Game, Action Sequence, and FX.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:49 PM

Serenity was nominated for a Hugo. Yay.

jadeblue

jadeblue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

In an article about an upcoming Stargate episode with Richard Dean Anderson:

"We'll see Willie Garson," executive producer Brad Wright told GateWorld exclusively. "He's coming back. It's sort of a full circle thing. The story, in short strokes, is Martin Lloyd has come to the S.G.C. because even though "Wormhole X-Treme!" was cancelled after three episodes, it did so well on DVD they're making a feature. A little kiss to "Serenity" and Firefly, which was possibly one of the best cancelled series in history. And we're the Air Force consultants on the script."

Is it wrong that this makes me want to watch the show?

Lutanite

Lutanite

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 12:36 AM

Stargate is all about shout outs to other science fiction shows/books/movies. It's not deep, but it's loving and fun. I'm not surprised they'd be incorporating a little Firefly mojo.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 7:16 AM

I was reading an article on SciFi Wire and noticed a poll on the right hand side for which movie of the year deserves the Hugo award for best dramatic long presentation. Serenity is wiping the floor with Harry Potter and Narnia.

ducky one

ducky one

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 2:39 PM

Serenity is wiping the floor with Harry Potter and Narnia.

As it should be.

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

From whedonesque, FOX.com lists their top ten DVDs on their home page, and Firefly is in their top ten. Impressive for a DVD set that's been out for over 2 years.

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 1:01 AM

And for a show that they tried their best to kill.

Gah. Urge. To throw. Things at Fox. Rising.

All together now... GORRAM FOX!

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 3:13 AM

It's been over 12 hours since I last posted: teevee.org had this for April Fools:

http://teeveepedia.t...dex.php/Firefly

Aww. We're terrifying.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

And heretical! I am so proud.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 11:54 AM

I apparently have no church within the faith of the Whedonites. *Pouts* There's no place for those who accept the teachings of Buffy and Firefly as gospel.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

I know I beat up someone just last week for not admitting Whedon was G-d. That site was hysterical.

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 2:13 PM

Firefly #5 selling DVD on TV from Jan-April 2006, more that TWO YEARS after it was released. At this rate, I'm going to up-rate my expectations of some sort of sequel. I don't foresee theatrical movies, but direct to DVD? Made for TV?

I think right now it's an impossibility, the show coming back -- Family Guy was thankfully composed of voice talent, so that an actor can complete a week's work in a few hours recording time. An hour-long series requires something like 8 days -- of long-ass days -- to shoot, and many of the actors (AT, NF, GT, AB) have moved on and won't be able to commit to a re-booted series. While I suspect that a theatrical sequel is probably unlikely to get greenlighted, b/c of profitability issues. But there are other avenues, and the DVD sales are fricken impressive.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2006 @ 5:32 PM

Serenity wins a Nebula Award, specifically Best Script for Joss Whedon.

Jolie Blanc

Jolie Blanc

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2006 @ 7:36 AM

I just logged into the iTunes Music Store, and guess what I saw?

That's right. Every episode of Firefly ever produced, available for legal download. The whole series runs $25.99, but you can buy the pilot for $1.99.

What an -awesome- way to hook people who are leery about shelling out for the entire DVD set! I'm so stoked! I might just buy another copy of the season to help out the show.

Isca

Isca

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2006 @ 6:23 PM

A certain awesome group of radio nerds have been whipping together a five-part radio drama based on a certain awesome sci-fi show for the past two months. Signal kids will be able to hear the first episode once it's edited. We record this Sunday, so we hope it goes out in a month or so.

It's like fanfic made better!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2006 @ 5:23 PM

On YouTube: Geek-Week vs. Joss Whedon; specifically, a Joss Whedon 'impersonator'.

Edited by cutecouple, May 15, 2006 @ 2:57 PM.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 2:26 PM

Oooh! The radio thingie sounds cool! Can't wait.

KarrieK

KarrieK

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 5:25 PM

Serenity is the IMDb Movie of the Day (link to the review for when it drops off the front page).

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 3:30 AM

Puppet Angel guarding the Nebula award Joss won for Serenity -- fear his wrath! fandoms collide!

and pics of Joss being presented the special Equality Now award by Meryl Streep.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 5:00 PM

Hee. How much do I want me one of those puppets- especially the vamped out one. "I'm gonna tear you a new puppet-hole, bitch!"

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2006 @ 10:41 AM

Serenity won the "Spacey" for Viewer's choice Favourite Movie. Getting 36% and doubling the vote for second place Revenge of the Sith.

Joss accepted the award saying he, "liked it but didn't love it." Parphasing: It was kinda weird ya know a western and space but I guess you love it.

Mal lost Best Movie Hero to Batman and Gina appeared to award the "Spacey" for Best Ensemble TV Cast and talked about the great Firefly cast.

Elorie

Elorie

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 11:21 PM

My profound, profound apologies if you've all already heard about this (literally my first time in these parts):

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/

Davina

Davina

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2006 @ 8:12 PM

Serenity mentioned in this recent article. This site also has a very good review of the movie from last year.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 5:35 PM

There's a cute mention of Firefly in some of today's Canwest newspapers. It comes in an article about Stargate's 200th episode, which goes on to talk about Ben Browder and:

Finding himself on the same flight from Vancouver as Nathan Fillion, the Edmonton-born actor who played Capt. Malcolm Reynolds in Joss Whedon’s Firefly and later in the feature film Serenity, Browder says he buttonholed Fillion and they swapped war stories about Firefly and Farscape.

Why am I never on these flights?

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 8:26 PM

Damn, the concentration of hotness contained in that row of seats on that flight has me drooling at the thought.

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2006 @ 3:49 AM

How about this for cool: Serenity-oriented message sent to the International Space Station to welcome three new crew members:

Some of the Houston Area Browncoats are working the current Shuttle and Station Mission and they got the Captain's quote about love uplinked to the ISS crew in tomorrow morning's daily summary. Below is the review copy of the daily summary:

It's great to have three crewmembers aboard ISS again! Welcome to your new home, Thomas!

"You know what the first rule of flyin' is? … Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down… tells ya she's hurtin' before she keels… makes her a home."

-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds in "Serenity"

Now that is awesomely cool. Though it shouldn't surprise me a bit that NASA people might possibly be sci-fi fans; didn't they shoot Gene Roddenberry's ashes into space?