The Fanfic Recommendation Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5518 replies to this topic

Sara M

Sara M

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 3:47 AM

The Fanfic thread is back! Here are a few ground rules to prevent this from getting closed again:

This will mainly be a place for people to ask for links to stories or post links to stories. No discussion about the nature of fanfic in general or fanon or any of that stuff, please. And I'd appreciate it if we could keep the praise or criticism of linked stories to a minimum, because there are other places for that stuff, too. And it usually leads to several pages of comments that are little more than "great!", which is nice, but also redundant.

As far as linking goes, you can link to your own story UNLESS it's a link to your own personal site. So links to your story on fanfiction.net or something like that are fine, but to your livejournal site is considered site-pimping. Someone else can link to a story on your personal site, though.

This seems to have worked really well over in the O.C. forum, so hopefully, it'll work here as well. If you have any comments or complaints, please feel free to email me at saram@televisionwithoutpity.com.

zelmon

zelmon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:17 AM

Awesome, SaraM. I'm with that.

Here's one I've found hilarious. Talented, really inspiring!

What happens if House discovered FAN FICTION?

Appropos, 'no?

housepiglet

housepiglet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 1:01 PM

Brilliant! Many thanks for restoring it.

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

• Interests:House, The Doctor Who universe, Buffyverse, good fanfic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:29 PM

Yay! It is back!

Anyhow. I want everyone to know about PaperMoon by cryptictac. I am not she I can assure you - my LJ tag is the same as here. Go check out Ticcy's best piece.
http://cryptictac.li....com/16881.html
Warning it is H/W slashy

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

People, I have no shame and I've come for help finding a fic I read on the housefic site but has been removed since. It's called "The Paradox" and it's House/Cuddy (don't shoot!). I would love some tips on tracking it down. I've done the Google to death and come up empty. wah!

btw, very stoked to see this thread again.

EllieJ

EllieJ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

It's called "The Paradox" and it's House/Cuddy (don't shoot!).

Don't be afraid. You're not the only House/Cuddy shipper out there. Could you perhaps be referring to The Paradox of Self Sacrifice? It's the only House/Cuddy fic that I've read that has "paradox" in the title. The House/Cuddy archive is temporarily down, but when it comes back you may want to check there. (I would post a link, but I think they're getting a new URL).

ETA: FF.net says that they'll be down for most of the evening, so the link may not work until after midnight PST.

Edited by EllieJ, Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:24 PM.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 2:09 PM

Oh, EllieJ! Love! I got mad love for you over here. Thank you so much. I guess having the title wrong can really frack up your search, eh? silly me.

And this news about a whole H/C archive? whee! Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 5:11 PM

I greatly enjoyed True Love and Other Catastrophes -- I think this author just nailed Wilson's POV. The non-Wilson characters are written well too.

Also, the fic Ties and Signs has fantastic House/Wilson dialogue, although the romantic pairing in this story is, shall we say, rare.

EllieJ

EllieJ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 9:32 PM

No problem jfbd. When the Huddy archive is back up, I'll post a link here.

Surface Tension is one of my favorite House fics. It's a little piece that explores the relationship between House and his parents.

housepiglet

housepiglet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 2:42 PM

Any more good ones, anyone?

dearwig

dearwig

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 3:16 PM

There's a good one here: Crash by JoeyBug.

EllieJ

EllieJ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 3:40 PM

In Self Defense is a nice House/Wilson/Cuddy friendship fic.

TrooperCam

TrooperCam

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 9:07 PM

EllieJ I agree that is a good story. I wish it was updated more often. Another good one that looks at House Wilson Friendship is Intervention

Actually I enjoy most things by sydealus, but be warned if you print off her stories they run to the verrrrrrrrrrrry long side. Intervention is over 200 pages already.

zelmon

zelmon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 2:07 AM

Someone over at the fanfiction.net site has found a really good basis for a HouseFic.

Isn't turnabout fair play?

It's a two-parter about what would happen if the Cottages break into House's home for a change.

carbface jones

carbface jones

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 12:43 PM

My favorite is House/Wilson filth that is well written.

Existentialism by onewayfreak and Placebo by simbelmyne are great examples of dysfunctional f-ked upness that make the characters proud.

dearwig

dearwig

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 4:19 AM

After the Fall is a good short Wilson orientated one, as is Messengers. I also really like Sydedalus's stories, for instance Some Days are Worse than Others.

Enjoy :-)

LastScorpion

LastScorpion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 4:34 AM

Thirding the appreciation for everything by sydedalus, and reccing a slightly House/Cameron story by maineac, rated general audiences, a tiny bit spoilery based on some promo pictures that are floating around:

Gambling

sherlock21b

sherlock21b

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

For starters, a good fill-in fic that explores the night that "didn't suck" between Cameron and Chase during "Hunting" is Angua9's No Regrets. It's got an NC-17 rating that's deserved, so don't read it if that's not your cup of tea.

And I'll be a self-promoting author (though I'm pretty sure I'm within the rules as this isn't a site of mine) and offer up Playing for Position. It was written under my npkedit nom de plume and is a fill-in for Chase's first couple of months with House (totally gen and no Chase Sue to be found). My one caveat--it's in 2nd-person, so if that's not your thing, it'll be a tough read.

tacit

tacit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:49 AM

Loving the new fic thread! Some great recs already. I'm going to be a voice of dissent about Sy Dedalus though... Her fics are ok but not great. It seems to me that she needs a good beta to help her tighten things up a bit.

I'm a lover of good rec sites, and this is one of those I trust the most: Ship_recs. It's a good place to start if you're new to the fandom and after some House/Wilson. A lot of it was recommended on the old fic thread before it was closed, so check it out to catch up. There are a handful of stories that I hadn't come across on the other million rec sites I've perused, and the standard of writing is consistently high.

Other places to check out are, obviously, House Fanfiction Archive
and also House_Wilson on LJ and House_Slash on LJ

Yes, I'm a slasher. Why do you ask?

carbface jones

carbface jones

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

anything by Kass is good for fun, filthy slash that doesn't kill brain cells.

tacit

tacit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 1:17 PM

Ditto Michelle Christian for fun, nicely written filth.

carbface jones

carbface jones

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

'Between the Boys' was fun, bittersweet filth.

Cuddy, Wilson and House having a bullshit session in a tavern and Cuddy talks about fantasizing a 3-way. After she leaves House and Wilson have to sit there awhile until the awkward tumescence wears off.

tacit, you and I have the same taste! Short, snappy filth.

I agree sy dedalus can get a bit Proustian but The Perils Of Coming Home Early is wonderful. She even had to remove a chapter to a different location because it was too hot for fan fiction.net.

How Joycean!

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 5:51 PM

I second sherlock21b's self-nomination. "Playing for Position" is the best Chase-centric story I've come across.
Namaste's fiction is the holy grail, especially the epic "Tracking Time". Most focuses on House and Wilson (not slash) but she has some excellent Cuddy stories too.

dearwig

dearwig

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 6:45 PM

This one's quirky, but I like it! Anything and Everything

romanshoes

romanshoes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 7:53 PM

Mm, Chocolate was probably written under the influence of LSD and a box of Russel Stovers'. I laughed for ages after I read it. Props to Cloak of Nettles, who, though irritating in AIM, is hilarious as many things.

dearwig

dearwig

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 8:43 PM

Mm, Chocolate was probably written under the influence of LSD and a box of Russel Stovers'. I laughed for ages after I read it.

I have to say that was just excellent! Thanks for the link :)

Rychki

Rychki

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 9:06 PM

There's a sweet little fic over at ff.net - The Inner Child.

It's House/Chase though not slashy and very AU.

Edited by Rychki, Mar 21, 2006 @ 6:00 PM.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:19 PM

Tidal Waves and Whispers made me very, very sad. It's House/Wilson centric, slashy only if you squint, but a very creative and poignant story.

Edited by MissMoneyBags, Mar 19, 2006 @ 10:20 PM.

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 1:49 AM

Two excellent writers are pwcorgigirl and genagirl.

carbface jones

carbface jones

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

I don't care how many times Wilson dies, there's still no way House is going to start talking about flowers and sandcastles.

Catch another butterfly, House! I don't enjoy twee House. Give me asshole house.

Speaking off, movies_michelle has a new slash up. 180 Degrees