Coming Soon: TV Promos and Movie Trailers on TV

• Please log in to reply

4562 replies to this topic

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

I assume it's a romance, but I think the premise for The Lucky One is really creepy. A guy finds a photo of a woman on a battlefield, tracks her down and starts a relationship with her, apparently without letting her know about the source of his attraction? That's straight up stalker territory.

Not only is the premise creepy and ridiculous, but I have a hard time seriously buying Zac Efron as an Iraq War Vet who has served 3 tours. Efron is still very much a boy and not a man to me so watching him play a soldier who romances a single mom is really kind of weird and creepy. He looks like he should still be playing high school roles. I really question that casting decision and I here it's getting pretty bad reviews anyway.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I'm not sure it's going to be all that great either, but I love Johnny Depp so I'll probably go see it anyway.

I hate Johnny Depp and I hate vampires, yet I'm strangely drawn to this one every time I see the commercial.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Spinoff of Captain jack? How do you get that? I mean, I don't see that at all.

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Johnny Depp not as Captain Jack, but the lead (vampire?) in the Dark Shadows movie.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:19 AM

Sorry I didn't make it clear...I just meant the accent. It seems to be his default accent but in the Dark Shadows ads it just grates.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

I've been amused by the Dark Shadow commercials - Tim Burton is the only one I would want touching this odd little classic and I like Johnny Depp. Just Barnabus brushing his teeth in the mirror cracks me up.

The show was on when I was a kid and I was not allowed to watch it because the content was entirely too scarey for a wee Cos, but what I did see terrified me. I caught it on local cable when I was in college and saw how wonderfully campy/cheesey it was and how bad the special effects were in a post-Star Wars era. I am hoping for some affectionate camp in the Tim Burton version.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

Just saw a promo for the Battleship movie. Not what I was expecting. I thought it was based on the board game, and I couldn't imagine how they would make it interesting. Aliens? How did I not see that coming.

I'm sure my son will want to see it.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

It looks like it's basically a Transformers movie starring Taylor Kitsch instead of that annoying Shia LaBouef twerp.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Yeah, doesn't it say something like "From the creators of 'Transformers'"?

And Taylor Who?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

It's actually, "From Hasbro, the company that brought you Transformers."

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Rihanna is in "Battleship". And from the previews, she spends the whole movie stuffed into a navy uniform, and not wearing a bikini or anything slinky. That is a sin that should never be repeated.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I thought it was based on the board game, and I couldn't imagine how they would make it interesting. Aliens? How did I not see that coming.

Imagine my surprise. Ever since the end of the Cold War, it's either terrorists or aliens. Almost makes me miss the Soviet Union.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

It's actually, "From Hasbro, the company that brought you Transformers."

Well, that's pretty hilarious. I guess it's supposed to be.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I thought it was based on the board game, and I couldn't imagine how they would make it interesting. Aliens?

My brothers played Battleship, the board game, a lot growing up. They totally would have added an alien option if they thought of it. Risk would have been much more interesting too.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

When I first saw the trailer for Battleship at the theater, before I knew such a movie existed, my initial thought was that it looked like Top Gun meets Independence Day, which could make for a pretty good summer popcorn movie combination. And then we got an aerial shot of the ships lining up and I started thinking it looked familiar. Then the title came on and I blurted out loud, "Seriously?!" I must have been louder than I realized because the whole theater cracked up. If Liam Neeson hadn't been in the trailer, I'd have thought that all the action movie cliches were building up to it being one of those "turn off your damn cell phone" fake trailers. I was just waiting for a phone to ring at an inappropriate time. But now, every time I see an ad for that movie, I am obligated to shout, "Seriously?"

But there's a really twisted part of me that kind of wants to see the movie. It would be fun in a nearly empty theater with a group of friends after a pitcher of margaritas. Except the TV ads make it look worse than the trailer did and like much less fun. They're taking it way too seriously.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I'm probably in the minority in this, but I'm just not very excited about The Avengers. The constant promos are not helping & its like I'm seeing the same typical Marvel superhero movie, but now they're 4 of them. I'm starting to think that the only reason that The Avengers was made & the promos being shoved in my face constantly is just to sell stuff. They're definitely starting to overstayed their welcome & I wish that I don't have to see any of them again for a long time (especially that horrible Iron Man).

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

When I first heard about The Avengers, I thought it was a joke -- Not because it seems bad, but because it seems like a fanboy's wet dream. I think I've only seen Iron Man and the Hulk, so I'm not really familiar with the other Super Heroes. Anyway, I really liked the first Iron Man, so I might like this. It's hard for me to tell from the commerials.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

My brothers played Battleship, the board game, a lot growing up. They totally would have added an alien option if they thought of it. Risk would have been much more interesting too.

I'm surprised they haven't made a movie version of Risk yet, but I guess scenes about people discussing whether or not they should take over Irkutsk wouldn't be very riveting.

Or, they could make Civilization: The Movie Based on the Board Game Based on the Computer Game Based on the Board Game.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

The Avengers is based on a series of comic books in which all of the superheroes work together, the grouping was not created for the movie.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I'm surprised they haven't made a movie version of Risk yet, but I guess scenes about people discussing whether or not they should take over Irkutsk wouldn't be very riveting.

I'll just leave this here. (Slide 5 in case the link doesn't bring you directly there.)

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

When I first heard about The Avengers, I thought it was a joke -- Not because it seems bad, but because it seems like a fanboy's wet dream. I think I've only seen Iron Man and the Hulk, so I'm not really familiar with the other Super Heroes. Anyway, I really liked the first Iron Man, so I might like this. It's hard for me to tell from the commerials.

The Avengers is based on a series of comic books in which all of the superheroes work together, the grouping was not created for the movie.

Yep, what corvus 13 said. The Avengers are to Marvel what The Justice League is to DC comics. These are real comic books that have been around for a while. Currently, Marvel is working on a big comic book series in which The Avengers face off against The X Men. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that eventually makes it to the big screen too. Hey, we've already had Freddy vs Jason and Alien vs Predator. Why not?

They tried to do a Justice League movie a few years ago but the project fell through. I wonder if we'll ever get to see that now. The movie would have had to include some big name characters in that group which consisted of: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Flash and Aquaman. I'm still kind of mad that the Avengers movie only cast one female lead and she wasn't even an original member at that. There were actually quite a few women on that team at any given time.

Edited by Turkish, May 5, 2012 @ 1:35 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Yeah, I don't know too much about comics, obviously. But what seemed incredible to me is not that a movie with all these superheroes was made, but that most of the actors playing those superheroes had already had their own movie. The biggest one is Iron Man, but I wonder if The Avengers was planned before Thor and Captain America were made, and Thor and Capt America were produced mainly to support this movie.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

The biggest one is Iron Man, but I wonder if The Avengers was planned before Thor and Captain America were made, and Thor and Capt America were produced mainly to support this movie.

I remember their being talk of making The Avengers movie right around the time Iron Man 2 was being made so they definitely knew they were making this movie before they made Capt America and Thor. Hell, they cast Mark Ruffolo as The Hulk well over a year ago and he hadn't been in either of the previous Hulk movies.

Edited by Turkish, May 6, 2012 @ 4:20 AM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I'm actually very interested in seeing The Avengers, and I enjoy the trailers, but I think they've gone way, way OTT with the tie-in promotions. If I had been less eager to see it originally, the constant barrage of 'collectors edition' tchotchkes would probably turn me off.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

And then we got an aerial shot of the ships lining up and I started thinking it looked familiar.

I missed that bit. My "Seriously?" moment was when the things hitting the ships looked like giant pegs.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

The commercial for the Chernobyl Diaries has seriously pissed me off.

"In 1986, the residents of the area surrounding Chernobyl were told to evacuate. Some refused to leave. Nobody knows what happened to them . . ."

Yes we do! They were mostly old people, who gradually died off, and there's still 400 people living in the Exclusion Zone. We know for a fact that they did not become zombies, or mutants, or whatever is trendy for horror movies these days. Sorry to disappoint anybody who actually sees this movie, and that the truth wasn't interesting enough.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

"In 1986, the residents of the area surrounding Chernobyl were told to evacuate. Some refused to leave. Nobody knows what happened to them . . ."

Not to mention people have been studying the area ever since the accident. It's not like the area has been abandoned for all these years and these are the first people to ever set foot there!

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Maybe they should've set it in Love Canal instead.

-

Edited by Alexandria Bay, May 8, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I think it's funny that the latest promo for Snow White and the Huntsman feature mostly the Queen (Charlize Theron) and the Huntsman (Chris Helmsworth) with almost no Snow White (Kristen Stewart).

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I think it's funny that the latest promo for Snow White and the Huntsman feature mostly the Queen (Charlize Theron) and the Huntsman (Chris Helmsworth) with almost no Snow White (Kristen Stewart).

You say that as if that's a bad thing. :)