Coming Soon: TV Promos and Movie Trailers on TV

• Please log in to reply

4562 replies to this topic

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:52 PM

More and more airspace seems to be taken up by the networks [and their local affiliates] promoting themselves. While watching one show you are exhorted to watch other shows on that same channel - and, occasionally on another channel - this seems like a new trend to me, and one that hasn't become prevalent, where a network will run an ad for a show on another one, usually because it's 'targeted' to the same audience.

In addition to the regular ads, you have more and more 'bumper' promos that run alongside or underneath the credits for the 'previous' show - and recently I've noticed that the credits will sometimes roll under the opening scene for the next show, e.g. last week on The Apprentice, you saw the opening scene while Deal or No Deal's credits were underneath.

Then there are the movie ads, shortened versions of the theatrical trailers, that run for about two weeks before a movie opens, and usually disappear soon after - only to reappear, with new review quotes, for the DVD release.

What are some of your favorite tv and movie ads? Least favorite? In general, do you get ideas of what shows to watch, and what movies to go see, from these ads? What trends in movie and tv promotion do you love/hate? Which old-style techniques do you miss?

Discuss...

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:01 PM

I love movie trailer ads! Love, love, love them! Even if it's for a movie I would never in a million years pay money to see (I'm looking at you, "The Libertine"). People complain that trailers tend to give away too much, but that has never been an issue with me, as I am a spoiler-whore from way back.

One thing that drives me crazy: why do producers put scenes in the trailers that don't make it to the movie? I understand if a couple of shots end up in the first theatrical promo before the majority of the editing has been done, but when they're in the tv ads 2 weeks before the movie comes out, you'd think they'd know better.

glory85

glory85

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 12:45 AM

I can't stand the commercials for She's the Man. There's already been a movie made that set Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in high school. It's called Just One of the Guys and it's awesome and doesn't star annoying WB starlet Amanda Bynes. I'll be glad when the movie opens on Friday and I won't have to see the trailers anymore.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 8:20 AM

The other week I (and fellow audience members) were shown a "sneak preview" of X3; I believe it was during the 2 episodes of 24. Well, it is my favorite of the trailers because 1) I'm a big ol' fangirl and 2) the potential for a great ride and the wonderful, sweeping music.

My least favorite trailer is for RV. The sad thing is that I like the cast,but it feels like it's just a paycheck movie, or at least that's what it ends up looking like in the ads. Robin Williams and Cheryl Hines are parents that take their kids out for a family vacation, run into Jeff Daniels, Kristen Chenowith and their brood, and wackiness ensues, including a clogged sewer line.

Things I hate in a trailer? One that maybe eagle and I share- characters in trailers (or the movies too) telling us we won't like them/ daring us to like them. Sorry, I'd rather see folks I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like, especially at $8 a pop. (Granted, I can indulge a few weeks later at our dollar movie theater, but ....) There are some movies where you don't need to go to the movie because the trailer truly gave you a Cliff Note's version. Those I hate.

A good show ad doesn't use all the good jokes/moments in the promo. Invasion, I think, is good about this in that there's some facet of the episode that they run with, but there's usually more than that one story element going on in the episode, so it barely tells you what's coming. Since it's a show that's primarily suspense-driven, that's a good frustration in my book; I want to know more/see more!

I don't mind tv shows getting some movie time, as if I had cable, I'd've tried Over There which looked very cool on the big screen. Maybe some of the smaller shows/nets could do the movie ad thing once in a while to help remind folks/bring in new folks. Plenty of fx's shows could get time before summer blockbusters like X3 or M:I:3 or Pirates of the Carribbean.

The Librarian

The Librarian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

A couple of TV promos I like:

One is Conviction, with "All Will Be Well," it's such a great song but has little to do, as far as I can tell, with the show.

Another is Heist (sp?) with Stereo MCs' "Connected". Sometimes, song choice in promos goes a long way toward selling the show (sometimes not, I don't like Conviction and am lukewarm about Heist.)

Edited to correct gross gramatical errors.

Edited by The Librarian, Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:37 AM.

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:15 PM

I cannot stand the little ads for a show that bop around on the screen during another show. TV is getting horribly excessive with both promotion graphics invading your viewing pleasure and squeezing more advertising time into TV (and everywhere else) in general. I'm beginning to wonder if they're doing that to get viewers to buy DVDs of every show on TV, where such interuptions to the flow aren't included - if you don't count the annoying waiting time for the fast-forward-proof warnings that start every professional DVD in existance.

It's even worse when the promo bugs are distractingly animated all over the lower part of the screen. Just get off my TV, you attention-getting whores!

We're going to need pop-up blockers for TV shows real soon!

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 4:04 PM

Every single cable network I watch, including Cartoon Network, is bending over backwards to squeeze in as many ads for Campus Ladies as possible. Rest assured, all those involved are on the top of my list for destruction when the revolution comes.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:17 PM

The Librarian:

Sometimes, song choice in promos goes a long way toward selling the show

IA with that; The Fixx's "One Thing Leads To Another" works with The Evidence and is part of the reason I want to check it out. (It makes great sense as a theme for a forensic/procedural-"...and when the wrong word/ goes in the right ear/I know you've been lying to me...")

I like that there are pre-season rundowns of a network's fall slate of shows. You see what the newer shows are sorta supposed to be about, as opposed to just reading about them and other folks' opinions. You get to see some of the stars of the network, which is nice. It also is a bit Behind-The-Scenes, which can be fun too. Seeing that the folks who make your shows aren't just there for the check, but like what they're doing is nice as well. I wish the nets would take a week and stagger their Fall Preview specials; it'd feel more Fall-y, since I am no longer a student.

I like that many of the cable channels have network-centric, destinctive bumpers and promo spots. I wish the major nets would do more than change a font. (ABC's Yellow and Black promos/bumper spots were cool!)

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

SNAKES ON A PLANE. That movie cannot come out fast enough for me.

Edit:

Dude, you don't even need a trailer with a name like that.

Samuel Jackson signed up for the movie based on the title alone. It's going to be epic.

Edited by roybetter, Mar 21, 2006 @ 2:00 AM.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

Does anyone else find that after seeing the countless trailers for a movie that you initially wanted to see, you don't want to see the movie?

If I see one more She's the Man trailer I may vomit. Amanda Bynes in drag; I don't need that. I kind of miss the creepy Hills Have Eyes child, though.

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

I had to know whether SNAKES ON A PLANE was what I thought it was. It is. Dude, you don't even need a trailer with a name like that.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:49 PM

It's a title, a tagline, a premise, and half the cast all rolled into one!

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 2:54 AM

It's also the theme of an SNL sketch from the late '90s. Remember the snake puppet saying, "It's meeee!"

brightspot

brightspot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 2:01 PM

This sort of belongs in this catagory because it is a commercial for the channel itself. You know how channels do what they called in the old days: "Station Identification"? An example: this is NBC with the peacock.

Here is the WORST one ever: SciFi channel.
I'll spoiler tag it for the faint-at-heart and people with good taste.

A magician presents a little tan dog to the audience. He turns sides to said audience, lifts up the tail and PROCEEDS TO BLOW INTO THE DOG'S ... um ... you know. The dog turns into a ballon dog, but still. Ewww!

inzombia

inzombia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:48 AM

Not sure if this is the right thread, but last night, I saw the Greatest Thing Ever: This awesomely giggle-worthy Brokeback-style ad for the "premiere" of one of the LOTR movies (on TBS, I believe). Basically, Frodo and Samwise were just really gay, but what sold it was this *look* from Gandolf. I really can't do it justice, but it was simply beautiful.

Edited by inzombia, Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:49 AM.

The Librarian

The Librarian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 10:23 PM

Sometimes, I hate television stations for the way they play down to their audience like we're a bunch of chumps that only go for over the top hype. I've decided NBC is the worst offender. Like just now.

Anyone who likes West Wing or just John Spencer will know he died some months back. Well, this Sunday they're finally dealing with his death with an in-show episode. Now, if I were in charge of promotions, I'd probably have them say something like, "Tonight, the cast and crew deal with the death of John Spencer", or something along those lines. Insted the promo is something like " . . . the even that CHANGES HISTORY." And we KNOW that it's about Spencer, because a woman cries "Leo!" offscreen, that, of course being the character, so anyone who knows about his death alread KNOWS what the epi's gonna be about pretty much. There is, to me, NO REASON AT ALL TO KEEP US IN SUSPENSE. For these purposes, it just cheapens the whole thing and treats the fans (of which I no longer am, for anti-John Wells purposes) like they're a bunch of chumps who absolutely WON'T watch a show without a bunch of hype to get us interested. The thing is, with something this important, OF COURSE people will watch, suspense or no suspense.

I know I'm yelling, I'm sorry, I just feel so patronized.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

I know what you mean, Librarian. It seems like in all TWW promos of late they are going for a different audience than the show has. I guess it speaks to the tone change of the show since Sorkin left, but it's even more pronounced on the promos with the disaster-every-episode like style.

naepTV

naepTV

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 12:53 AM

All weekend, I've been seeing ads for this week's Law & Order:SVU. You know, the one they're saying is Unmissable.

Unmissable? It just does not sound right.

But they're right. The promo looks great, so I'll be there.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 2:35 AM

I don't know why, but it drives me nuts to hear a very short clip of music looped over and over and over. So, Sopranos ad, with your one bar of annoying plinky guitar repeated 47 times in a single ad? I hate you. I hate you so, so much.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 8:47 AM

The trailers for Silent Hill make it look really good. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because video game-turned-movie generally doesn't end well, but...the TV wouldn't lie, would it?

Krista7

Krista7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 8:37 PM

inzombia wrote:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but last night, I saw the Greatest Thing Ever: This awesomely giggle-worthy Brokeback-style ad for the "premiere" of one of the LOTR movies (on TBS, I believe). Basically, Frodo and Samwise were just really gay, but what sold it was this *look* from Gandolf. I really can't do it justice, but it was simply beautiful.

OMG, I just saw this!!! I ran over here to post about it. It was indeed TBS. Here's my attempt at describing the indescribable:

Three scenes of Sam and Frodo hugging/embracing, declaring affection for one another. Cut to Gandalf arching an eyebrow suggestively, just as the soft background music becomes clear: "SECRET LOOOOVERRRRSSSS, that's what we are....."

*Hysterical*.

No Touching

No Touching

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2006 @ 1:41 AM

Yeah, I have to give TBS credit for that ad. It was the first time I've actually laughed hard at a television promo, let alone a commercial in general, and I'm not even a Lord of the Rings fan. It's all about that Gandalf eyebrow arch.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2006 @ 9:34 PM

I was just reading the recap for the latest Doctor Who episode and Jacob mentions an add for one of Scifi's "movies". I hate this particular commercial but I couldn't quite sum up my feelings for it, but this works perfectly:

Commercial break #2, including a spot for some hideous abortion called SS Doomtrooper that seems to ask, "What if Grant Morrison had a lobotomy and then took over writing The Incredible Hulk, surrounded by piles of crystal meth and mainlining Aaron Sorkin's stem cells?"

I laughed for about 3 minutes. And while I was watching tv, it came on and I laughed again. Good times, good times.

Edited by Queenrikki, Apr 4, 2006 @ 9:33 PM.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2006 @ 2:25 PM

I'll be glad when the movie opens on Friday and I won't have to see the trailers anymore.

I agree with glory85's sentiment. I find myself saying something like " Wow -- I can't wait until ' Fun with Dick and Jane ' opens " -- not because I want to see it but because a movie isn't advertised once it opens ( unless its those stupid post-viewing moviegoers in the lobby, giddy after seeing something like the Steve Martin 'Pink Panther' )

What stinks now is that 2 months after a movie leaves the theatres we get an advertising blitz for the " Special Edition DVD " ! ( Yes, I'm talking about 'Fun with Dick and Jane' again. )

Edited by Groovy Chainsaw, Apr 6, 2006 @ 2:26 PM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2006 @ 12:06 PM

This sort of belongs in this catagory because it is a commercial for the channel itself. You know how channels do what they called in the old days: "Station Identification"? An example: this is NBC with the peacock.

Here is the WORST one ever: SciFi channel.
I'll spoiler tag it for the faint-at-heart and people with good taste.

A magician presents a little tan dog to the audience. He turns sides to said audience, lifts up the tail and PROCEEDS TO BLOW INTO THE DOG'S ... um ... you know. The dog turns into a ballon dog, but still. Ewww!

Oh, I love those! Showtime Beyond (sci-fi oriented) also has some cool freaky ones.

The HBO promos are good too. It used to be "Sundays are HBO", but then they started doing clips of characters from all their shows over a related song, or clips to act like they're all playing telephone. These can get annoying at times.

FX is notorious for shrinking the credits and doing promos for their original shows but I love the Nip/Tuck promos. Basically because it's not the theme music or anything, but just the cool "Nip Tuck promo music" and you start with the overhead shot of downtown Miami. It's a nice Miami Vice-type aesthetic for our generation and always makes me look forward to the show.

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2006 @ 4:03 PM

Food Network has some self-promos, too, for their "competition" shows. There's a new one with a male figure skater paired with a large (cooked) lobster. The commentators are going on and on about how lovely they are together. Then the man takes the lobster by the claw and does a spin, and the lobster goes flying off out of camera range, with the guy holding the claw. You hear gasps and shrieks from the audience, and one of the commentators says, very dry-voiced, "Oh, that's going to be a deduction."

Made me laugh out loud.

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2006 @ 6:15 PM

I was headed over to the "Horrifying Commercials" thread to post about that one! WTF does that have to do with the SciFi channel? I just started getting the channel last month, and I was trying to watch a re-run of this Battlestar Gallactica I've heard so much about, and they assault my eyes with THAT. *gag*

JuliJBG

JuliJBG

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 6:25 PM

I'm currently obsessed with the constant barrage of ads for TLC's Shalom in the Home. I never even watch TLC, but they have been running this ad on lots of other stations, too. The show itself sounds really odd but the jingle is catchy, and it seeped deep enough into my conciousness that I already set my TiVo for Monday night. Advertising works...who knew?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 10:50 PM

NBC has a nasty habit of stringing clips together to make it look like the show is about something entirely different from what it turns out to actually be about. It drives me crazy how unreliable their promos.

ms black

ms black

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

Like the promo for last night's episode of The West Wing? That one was misleading.

I just saw a promo at the end of Medium that said some thing like "coming soon, Molly Ringwald and Kelsey Grammer... as the angel of DEATH!" I nearly snorked up a lung laughing. Thanks, NBC!