Sexy Brunette in a Town Full of Blondes: The Sara Sidle Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

397 replies to this topic

Miss Dee

Miss Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:15 PM

This is for everyone's favorite San-Fran brunette, of course (sorry, Wendy!).

I adore how Sara is getting back her first season pizzazz. First of all, she looks gorgeous these days - her hair is stunning, and she's wearing nice clothes. Second of all, she grins, laughs, cracks jokes... and still gives out a good death-glare when called upon. Finally, whatever she might feel now for Grissom, she's the one now making the mysterious comments and walking off, leaving him to go "WTF?!" I love that.

catastrophe

catastrophe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

Aw, Sara's my girl. She is rocking it this year, the wardrobe and hair departments are finally being kind to Jorja, and she's smiling a hell of a lot. Adding that on top of her random double-entendre comments to Gil that are for once making him not know what the fuck is going on, and it may just be my favorite Sara season ever. Too bad she hasn't had much screentime thus far. She's awesome.

shootingstars

shootingstars

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

Adding to the Sara love! As for her hair, I wish she'd grow it out.

Too bad she hasn't had much screentime thus far

Give her more! I want her to work with Greg and Nick on more cases. I love the interactions that she has with each of them.

SCChemE

SCChemE

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 3:45 PM

I love Sara this season - this is more like it. I agree that Jorja is totally rocking the hair and wardrobe. What did she do so right that George Eads has done so wrong?

I have enjoyed snarky Sara once again. Now if she and Warrick could work a case together - we got a lot of her and Greg last year and we've had Gumdrops this year. We need a Warrick/ Sara case, because they were getting to where they had that easy going friendship that Gil and Cath seem to have together.

Besides, he needs some advice on the wife, and I don't think Cath is going to give him the best.

vikki138

vikki138

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 1:09 AM

Does she have an altar I can worship?

Sara went through hell, she arguably has the worst background of all three women on this show... and somehow has managed to keep her integrity after all of it and come out a stronger person.

Why oh why can't they take a leaf out of her book and smother Sofia and Catherine with morals?

What did she do so right that George Eads has done so wrong?

You see, they are both attractive, quaint brunettes. In fact, George Eads and Jorja Fox are one entity. And only one can contain the hotness at a time. lol.

But she's being given the Catherine glow treatment, which makes her look especially gorgeous.

SCChemE

SCChemE

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:01 AM

I was watching an old ep the other day, and you got to love the way Jorja Fox can add the nuance to her scenes.

There was an instance when she's looking at Grissom, and he's not looking at her (they're working a case) and you can just see it in her eyes that she's crushing on him. This was pre-bearded Grissom and pre-lab explosion. She gives Sara so much depth.

And I love the concept that she and George Eads can't be hot at the same time. If that's the case, I guess I can handle a little more feathered bangs on Nick to have Sara rockin' the lab.

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 10:11 AM

Damn!!

Just when I thought Sara had got smart and got a life.

What does a gorgeous woman like Sara see in that old man.

SCChemE

SCChemE

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 10:17 AM

You know, I don't know, but if Sara's happy, I guess I'm happy. At least Grissom was back to his old self last night.

Skylar522

Skylar522

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

This was posted by Lauren over on Elyse's CSI board (http://pub35.bravene...960/show/546308) but posts expire pretty fast over there so I'm posting here for you.

Jorja Fox UK Interview

this interview was on teletext in the UK last night.

in CSI she's the ice cool utterly dedicated slightly grungy sara sidle but in real life jorja fox, 37 is far warmer with a passion for blighty and in particular London.
revealing her anglophile leanings she tells tv plus "i love london it's great i'm loving the walking thing and the street energy of london the diversity and most of the people are really educated, cool and hip.

CSI's jorja fox is passionate about britain and in particular the beer. "in london you know what i really love is sitting in a pub drinking beer a huge pint laughs the new york born star.
in London she enjoys a certain anonymity but she's not adverse to some of the trappings of fame that CSI brings. "i've got some better tables in restaurants and wait in line less which is always really wonderful people have been really friendly".

Jorja Fox is currently between series in CSI and is using her free time to produce a play in london. having had success in 2004 with rock musical Dear Bernard she's bringing it to the riverside studios hammersmith. "i'm thrilled that we've been invited but it's also really scary we'll just have to see what happens."
the trip to london to work in theatre is a rare burst of activity for jorja during time out from being knee deep in death in CSI. "all i usually want to do is go see disney movies and comedies anything thats not about death". "i'm really into silly, stupid, shallow activities i really love to go surfing, go barefoot and try to wear as few clothes as possible.

apart from padding around barely dressed JFs other great passion is animals. while the actress is guarded about her love life she's happy to talk about the menagerie she has at her LA home. "i have a boxer dog, ali and 50 fish in my backyard. the fish came with the house and i was going to replace them with a jacuzzi but after 2 weeks i fell in love with them.

JFs passion for animals goes beyond keeping and ark full of pets she's a keen supporter of militant animal rights group PETA. jorja has also long been a vegetarian and is understood to have conveted CSI co-star william petersen.

in career terms CSIs jorja fox has scaled the heights starring in one of the planets most popular shows. has she ambitions beyond such an amazing accolade "sadly i've never known where i've been headed i just end up somewhere".

i have got teletext on my tv so i copied it last night hope you like.

blighty - a slang term for England (just incase anybody doesnt know what it means)

Lauren

xXx

cricketmum

cricketmum

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 7:03 AM

Can anyone tell me the title of the ep where Sara gets suspended after telling Catherine the truth, and she tells Grissom in her apartment about her family ?

Also, could there be a correlation between the start of GSR reality, and when Sara started calling Petersen's character "Gris"?

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 8:13 AM

Can anyone tell me the title of the ep where Sara gets suspended after telling Catherine the truth, and she tells Grissom in her apartment about her family ?

That was "Nesting Dolls," the case of the murdered Russian bride.

Forgotten

Forgotten

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 4:13 AM

Thank you for posting that realy interesting post. :D

I can't believe she coverted William Petersen, no more bug eating for Grissom then (I don't know wether that is true but it seamed funny.). Allthough I did read somewhere that she didn't actualy converted him, he made the decidion on his own.

And I have to see "Nesting Dolls" it looks so good.

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2006 @ 9:19 AM

Jorja's been doing some interviews in the UK to promote the play she's produced Dear Bernard.

* 18-minute radio interview for Five Live on the BBC in May. It's on the BBC website for your listening pleasure.

* Manchester Evening News

* Empire Magazine

And in case you missed it in the Newsflash thread, she did a Q&A interview for The Guardian.

Enjoy!

Edited by staveDarsky, Jul 14, 2006 @ 10:00 AM.

Forgotten

Forgotten

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2006 @ 5:09 AM

Thank you for those links.

I read the Guardian magazine last saturday (oops I mean the Saturday before) but didn't read that bit and now I've recycled it so I can't get it. How annoying!

Edited by Forgotten, Jul 15, 2006 @ 5:10 AM.

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 9:01 AM

And another magazine interview with Jorja from Now Playing.

http://www.nowplayin...nt/view/4197/2/

BenjyDiMera

BenjyDiMera

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2006 @ 1:17 PM

Jorja Fox does not make a convincing straight woman.

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 4:12 AM

That's a bit of a non-sequiter isn't it??

Like one of those statements dropped into a lull at a party which you then walk away from leaving everyone to puzzle over. Like saying "did you know only one whelk in 4 million is left-handed??" - which is one of my favourites.

I'm in a mischievous mood this morning & feel like a debate .... so... state your sources....

Firstly - how do you know she isn't straight?? Rumour, gossip, gaydar or 'walks like a duck' syndrome not withstanding, there is no official confirmation that she isn't straight (or bi). So the way she is could simply be how that straight woman is.

And that leads me to my second point.

Isn't that a bit like saying "all straight women are... " or "all straight women do.."?? As though every straight woman is exactly the same because all straight women are the same??

I know how I feel whenever somebody states "all gay people..." so I would imagine that could be perceived as quite insulting to straight women (I do realise that was not your intention).

Or did you mean that Jorja is not a good enough actor to portray Sara as a convincing straight woman??

Well - whatever you think of Sara as a character (and boy does she seem to inspire a degree of hate... second only to Cath sometimes) Sara is straight. (regrettably!! dedicated femslasher that I am).

So apart from insulting Jorja as an actor that would fail to take into account that, due to the ever-changing backstory and the writers' habit of ignoring canon when it suits them, she's had to switch from being the bright, smiling, happy-go-lucky child of ex-hippies; wearing flowery clothes and with curly hair and capable of enough daring to join the mile-high club; to the straight-haired, darkly clothed, grim, socially inept, depressed child of abusive (and murderous) parents.

Personally I consider that quite an accomplishment.

For a good (if brief) and convincing portrayal of straight by Jorja take a look at the movie Momento

So... over to you... cite your souces....

BenjyDiMera

BenjyDiMera

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

zero2aries:

So... over to you... cite your souces....

I donít really need to cite any sources. Itís an opinion so my source is myself. IMO, Jorja Fox does not convincingly play straight. I donít know anything about her off-camera sexuality. Her on-camera character, however, is supposed to be straight and I donít buy her in that role. Itís nothing against the actress, I just donít believe for a second that she likes cock. I do enjoy her character but Iíd almost rather TPTB just keep her brooding and asexual.

Edited by BenjyDiMera, Aug 11, 2006 @ 12:54 PM.

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

Ah right - what you meant (as opposed to what it seemed you'd said) was the character of Sara Sidle is not written or acted in a way that you feel comes across as straight.

Gotcha.

I wouldn't have bothered replying to your comment had I realised that

cricketmum

cricketmum

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2006 @ 8:39 AM

The amazing thing about either my mind, or our British heritage here at the arse-end of the globe, is that I immediately thought that JF had appeared on a SNL-type show where she had failed to feed the resident funny-man/woman the requisite lines adequately. I figured other posters would account for the (apparent) non-sequitur-edness of this post.

Having read the original poster's explanation, I prefer my interpretation (no slight intended, I just find it cheaper to accept the interpretation of my inner mind than pay for anti-psychotic medication).

lifelikethat

lifelikethat

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 1:16 AM

Does it matter anyway?

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 1:52 PM

Does it matter anyway?

Does what matter?? Sara?? Jorja's acting?? Whether she's convincing?? Our opinions??

Well - I suppose in the grand scheme of things - given the number of Pakistanis still living in tents on mountainsides after an earthquake over a year ago; or what's happening in the middle east, etc. - no I suppose it doesn't matter much.

But in these forums?? - Yes it matters.

If it didn't then these forums would not exist. (Btw is forums the plural of forum?? It seems wrong somehow as if it should be forae or something - sorry - mind like a grasshopper)

It mattered enough for the original poster to comment, it mattered enough for 2 people to reply and it mattered enough for you to ask if it matters.

Sure - it's only TV and not real life. And I can't believe I'm taking it so seriously. I can count on less than the fingers of both hands the total number of TV programmes I watch. Most of which I wouldn't bother to comment about. There's usually only one programme I'll defend to the death and this isn't it - so I'm rather surprised to find myself posting again.

But of course it matters.

If the writers have produced scripts that don't enable Jorja to act her role convincingly. Or if viewers find her acting skills less than effective then it will have some effect on the suspension of disbelief. Which in turn might cause those viewers to stop watching.

And that has to matter to those involved in the programme.

As I said earlier - I think she does a pretty good job of portraying her character given the shifts in backstory.

Is it convincing as a straight woman??

Well I'm not straight so I don't have any frame of reference as to how I would behave in those circumstances. And I haven't spoken to every straight woman in the world - or even in the 'West' - so I can't really say whether there are or aren't straight women geeks who are socially inept (as her current backstory has it) who would behave just the way Sara does.

If they were still with season one Sara then - no her current behaviour doesn't work - but her portrayal in the first half of season one seemed pretty accurate to me... I could indeed see women I knew acting and reacting in that manner.

If I as a viewer am to invest myself in the programme - and continue to watch - then I have to have something to persuade me to tune in rather than go for a run or something. And if a character or a script or a plot is not believable enough then I'll go for that run because I won't care enough to switch on the TV - it doesn't have to be totally believable - it is, after all, fiction - and no one group of people would see this many crises in a lifetime!! But it should make me care. And if I am given the impression that the writers, directors or actors are sleepwalking and don't care... well... why should I??

So yes. It matters.

edited because checking spelling before posting would have been sensible!!

Edited by zero2aries, Aug 14, 2006 @ 1:55 PM.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2006 @ 9:26 PM

Just in the interest of accuracy... :)

Forum is a Latin word. Forum is the neuter nominative/accusative form. The plural is fora. Yes, I am a nerd.

Oh yeah... Sara's great. I never had any question that she was anything other than is presented on the screen. But then, I'm not too picky.

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 3:00 AM

The plural is fora

Thank you Enthused Fish - you're a goddess!!

I knew forums wasn't right but I couldn't for the life of me remember what was.

School and Latin were more years ago than I'd care to admit in public *g*

Skylar522

Skylar522

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 8:53 AM

It's Sara's fictional 35th birthday today, September 16. Have a happy one, girl!

Source: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sara_Sidle

LuLuVuitton

LuLuVuitton

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 6:25 PM

Sure - it's only TV and not real life. And I can't believe I'm taking it so seriously. I can count on less than the fingers of both hands the total number of TV programmes I watch. Most of which I wouldn't bother to comment about. There's usually only one programme I'll defend to the death and this isn't it - so I'm rather surprised to find myself posting again.

I'm just kind of curious which one you defend to the death?

Justice0

Justice0

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 6:34 AM

Sure, Jorja Fox is a good actress - if Sara Sidle is supposed to be really annoying.

She's ugly, no doubt about that. Even the show itself acknowledges it.

SCChemE

SCChemE

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 7:43 AM

My, my - a bit of dislike there, huh?

I think Sara is like a lot of women in male dominated, science centered careers - a little geeky, maybe socially awkward, and has had a hard time finding her niche. She prefers male company to female, and therefore has no close female friends. (or none that we've seen) And I think that's why a lot of viewers identify with her. Jorja Fox is not conventionally gorgeous, like Marg Helgenberger can be, but she is rocking the hair and wardrobe this season.

All of these are reasons why I like Sara's character.

bookworm8571

bookworm8571

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 8:34 AM

It's never once occurred to me to wonder if Sara is straight. The character's been presented as straight since the second episode of the first season. Whether or not the actress who plays her is straight or gay or bi is really none of my business. She's always played the character convincingly, regardless.

I think Sara's supposed to be a science geek and socially awkward like many female science types. I prefer that -- her look and her personality -- to Catherine and the more traditionally feminine characers we've seen on CSI. Grissom apparently prefers it too, which is probably the reason for the venom in the last post.

SCChemE

SCChemE

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 9:46 AM

I prefer that -- her look and her personality -- to Catherine and the more traditionally feminine characers we've seen on CSI.

But is anyone really as oversexed as Cath is supposed to be? To me, Sara seems more normal* than Catherine, even with traditional femininity. Very few women would wear, act or do the things Catherine has in the workplace.

*as a person who saw her father murdered, whose mother is in prison or a psych hospital and who is an almost alcoholic vegetarian with a high stress job can be