1-6: "Our Mrs. Reynolds" 2002.10.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

Fat Elvis 007

Fat Elvis 007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2008 @ 6:44 PM

Ouch! I like that line. Although I share Arevhat's disgust over child molesters being compared with people who talk at the theatre. That's one of the few lines in "Firefly" that I've actually disliked.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

"The Hell reserved for people in particular need of horrible torment...like child molesters, people who talk at the theater."

I don't particularly dislike this line; one, because I don't have a visceral reaction to the comparison of hated crimes; and two, because it is kind of amusing to think of a spot in hell where child molesters never get to hear what's happening on stage and screen while something else happens to them as well -boiling oil of some kind, perhaps, or creatures nawing at their dangly bits.

My problem with the line stems from character motivation; I simply don't see Shepherd Book making that comparison. It sounds like something that would normally be be interjected while Book attempted to make his point about the special hell. Not that Book can't have a sense of humor or be politically incorrect sometimes, but I just don't see him as being the author of that particular sentiment. But what do I know; maybe many, many nights at the monastery theatre were ruined by chatty brothers.

There's always "We live on a spaceship, dear."

Aw, I too like this line. I don't care if it's akin to "We drive a car, dear". Because (a) I like to think that someone like Wash would still take in some old sci-fi movies like Star Trek, and (b) meta comments make me giggle.

roasty goodness

roasty goodness

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2008 @ 9:06 AM

"The Hell reserved for people in particular need of horrible torment...like child molesters, people who talk at the theater."

I like that line. Juxtaposing the evil with the annoying gets a laugh from me. I don't, to be honest, find it edgy. It's simply using child molestation as an example of something particularly evil, which is not a hugely controversial position.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the same feelings about this line from Eddie Izzard's stand-up show: "I've never seen anyone slip on a banana skin. I've never seen documentary footage. I've heard stories. Oh yes, stories. The Nazis had propaganda."? It's basically the same form of joke, only - for my money - the Nazis were worse than child molesters.

And I like that Book said it too. It's another one of those hints that he's not a man who's lived a sheltered existence in a monastery all his life.

smurfette007

smurfette007

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2008 @ 3:21 AM

That sort of line wouldn't normally bother me, but there was something about the delivery that was off. It made Book look like an ass and the writers look like they were trying too hard. It was a rare moment of *ick* in a great series.

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

I personally prefer the fireflywiki.org version of that line:

"...like child molesters, people who talk at the theater, wiki spammers, and people who cancel acclaimed television shows in their first seasons."

TVC15

TVC15

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Television, film, television, film, music, television, film, music, music, music, television, film, music, television, film, television, film, television, film, music, television, film, music, music, music, television, film, music, television, film, television, film, television, film, music, television, film, music, music, music, television, film, music, television, film

Posted Mar 10, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

One of my favorite scenes is the deleted scene that didn't even make it into the episode. From Book's face when River messes up the bed he just made, to River accusing Saffron of being a thief (thank you!), to Simon trying (and failing) to explain why siblings can't get married, to Mal's speech about taking care of yourself because the Alliance won't, it definitely has something for everyone.

It always bothered me that River had so little screen time in this episode when she could have cracked Saffron's facade wide open, but it makes me happy that Joss did try to address the issue, even if the scene didn't make it into the final broadcast.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

It always bothered me that River had so little screen time in this episode when she could have cracked Saffron's facade wide open

I kind of liked that Saffron was kept separate from River; even though she was just supposed to be seen as a blushing and innocent bride, who she turned out to be wouldn't hesitate in turning over Mal and the crew and River and Simon to the authorities. Simon blends into the background easier as a fairly sane and functioning medic who didn't really do anything of importance or excellence while Saffron was on board. But River leaves more of an impression, and Mal would have most assuredly had to kill or incapacitate Saffron in order to keep River and Simon safe IMO.

EPThompson

EPThompson

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

I just recently watched this episode. Great dialog and some good moments, but it doesn't hold together as well, especially knowing Saffron's angle the whole time. The economics of Serenity being such a good prize also seemed shaky, in some ways that energy ring seemed more elaborate and much more valuable. Also, Saffron's interest comes down to 'play a succession of roles in an incredibly elaborate fashion, because messing with people is fun'. It doesn't seem to suit the general tone of the con men and criminals along the Rim. The general impression is that conditions are grim and stressed enough for it to be too dangerous for that sort of fun.

I love seeing sentimental Drunk Jayne, though.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 10:23 AM

I wish we'd gotten to see Saffron interacting with people other than Mal a bit more. She had scenes with Wash and Inara, but apart from her and the crew didn't speak to each other much. I especially would have liked to see her with River, Simon or Book.

The economics of Serenity being such a good prize also seemed shaky, in some ways that energy ring seemed more elaborate and much more valuable.

It quite possibly is, but they didn't get it specificly for Serenity and if they use it on many different ships, then it would pay out more than it's worth. I really liked that bit, 'cause everyone always calls Serenity a piece of crap but Kaylee, who is the expert and knows the ship better, says the opposite. So it was cool that someone else with some experience in ships recognised it, and on top of that, he explained why it's a good ship even though it's parts keep falling off and busting.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 6:44 PM

I especially would have liked to see her with River, Simon or Book.

I'm glad she didn't interact with River at all or Simon very much, since if the Alliance was looking for them as hard as they were purported to be, with Wanted posters and the like, there would be a very real possibility that Yo-Saf-Bridge would figure out who those two were -either while on the ship or further along in the series. A (different) reason she and River may have been kept apart is due to the fact that River is indeed psychic. She could have 'read' Saffron as being something other than what she claimed to be, blowing the whole surprise much more quickly. Book, I would have enjoyed her interacting with more, if only because her main way of interacting with men seemed to be seduction and that tactic wouldn't work on the preacher (we hope!).

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

For years now I have seen the phrase 'Special Hell' used on this and other online forums. I was unenlightened on its provenance until just now, when I saw this episode. It's like a whole world has opened in front of me!

Very cool episode, I love Mal when he's on the back foot.

uptoolate1966

uptoolate1966

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

This is probably my very favorite episode of Firefly. I just love everything about it from beginning to end.

Best line: Well, my days of not takin' you seriously are certainly comin' to a middle. (Maybe. There are so many I'd have to just cut and paste the whole transcript.)

If Saffron is to be believed girls on the backward planet are kept in a 'maiden's home' and given away in arranged marriages.

I don't believe Saffron on this point. Elder What's-his-name seemed like a very nice, sincere guy, and felt bad about not having anything but a stick to pay for the crew's help, but he never mentioned any other way he might pay them, so I'm guessing she just made that up.

Inara [. . .] reveals her speciality is washing her client's feet.

I didn't think she was serious about that. When Mal, obviously very embarrassed to be asking, mentions it, her voice just seems to drip sarcasm.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 8:19 AM

After the rewatch on Science, I still don't know why Fox switched this episode (and the two that follow) with Shindig/Safe. There is some mess up on the time line with Inara and Mal, she's much more overt in her interest in Mal, then suddenly shifts back in Shindig, rather than the originally planned more natural progression of still holding back, but some interest in Shindig, then more in Our Mrs. Reynolds.

No real affect on Simon/River's story in this episode one way or the other. No specific mention of Book's apparent relationship with the Alliance either.

Chuckled that Mal only defended himself as becoming susceptible to Saffron's kiss because she was naked (and still claiming to be his wife) when she wasn't with Wash. Mal should have also mentioned that Wash was married (and likely more afraid of Zoe than the "special hell"), but Mal wasn't really.

Looking back, I wondered what kind of con Saffron used on the townspeople. Did they know who she was? Did the Elder know what she did or what her plans were? Or did she just sneak in and pretend to be part of them and the Elder had no clue?

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

I liked the episode. I really liked Inara kissing Mal -- surprising but not.

Somewhere online I found a video where the two actors "kissed" at a Convention for the benefit of the fans because they "never did" on Firefly. And yet they DID have Inara kiss Mal in this episode. I'm guessing things heat up more and there's no payoff later.

I also liked Jayne offering up Vera. Very funny Jayne.

Finally I liked how tempted Mal's character was shown to be. Even though I figured he wouldn't go through with it, for a moment I thought he might.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

This was probably the episode where I laughed the most at what went on, from Saffron's reveal, to the comments the crew was making about the marriage. There was a good amount of action in this one, too, as opposed to the more suspenseful episodes like Bushwacked.

I just wish there was more River, but then again I think I'm in the minority who likes her. They paced the ep well, since right around the time Saffron's spiel was getting old for me, she revealed her true nature. And I don't think it was out of character for Mal to let her go at the end, either, because he gives most people the 'benefit of the doubt,' for lack of a better term. Hell, he even tried to send Niska the message of bygones be bygones by returning the money.

Also, loved Jayne this episode, but I always do. =)

Myrrhine

Myrrhine

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

I am re-watching and just got through this episode. I think it's one of my favorites. There are so many great lines, and I especially like Jayne's affronted "Aw come on, Mal, I'd treat her OK!"

And I'd forgotten how great the scene is where Mal visits Inara. He is trying to carry on their friendly banter from the end of Shindig, and she is just not having it. But he really lets his guard down, and when he starts talking about imagining a family and kids... well, he almost never seems as cheerful as he does there.

I also love when he kisses Kaylee. I think their relationship is about the cutest thing ever.