Commercials That Make You Scratch Your Head

• Please log in to reply

7846 replies to this topic

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

I don't understand the Geico commercial with the Pillsbury Doughboy at the airport.  I know that he's holding up the line at the security station because every time the guard tries to frisk him, he giggles and they stop.  What I don't understand is why they have to frisk him at all.  He's naked and obviously not anatomically correct (without describing it further--no hiding places for contraband).  All they have to do is check under his kerchief and his chef's hat.  What's so hard about that?

One other commercial that bothers me is the sausage commercial with the guy dressed as the sun (Jimmy Dean brand?) where he gets the last piece of sausage when his wife loses a starring contest with him ('you know you can't stare directly into the sun').  If there's one piece left, they should share it--they're both just acting greedy.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

One other commercial that bothers me is the sausage commercial with the guy dressed as the sun (Jimmy Dean brand?) where he gets the last piece of sausage when his wife loses a starring contest with him ('you know you can't stare directly into the sun').  If there's one piece left, they should share it--they're both just acting greedy.

TudorPrince has the exact same reaction to that ad. He even calls the sun 'a dick'. But I find the actor who plays the sun so appealing in all the Jimmy Dean ads ("You're all awesome!")  that I kind of let it go.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

All they have to do is check under his kerchief and his chef's hat.  What's so hard about that?

BooksRule, I love that you have thought about how easy it would be for the Pillsbury Doughboy to go through security at the airport! This made me laugh! "Kerchief"!

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

All they have to do is check under his kerchief and his chef's hat.  What's so hard about that?

BooksRule, I love that you have thought about how easy it would be for the Pillsbury Doughboy to go through security at the airport! This made me laugh! "Kerchief"!

I still like his teeny-tiny backpack(and his even teenier-tinier rolling pin). :)

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 9:48 PM

There's an ad for some drug, maybe it's called Eliquis, which shows an older man looking at pictures on a laptop with his wife.  Then he starts talking about the drug while a Powerpoint or something on the drug starts playing on the laptop.  I want to know who the hell the man is talking to.  He's not looking at his wife, and he's not always looking at the camera.  He's looking off to the side as though there's someone standing there, but there isn't.  It's the weirdest thing.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

Maybe it's Angus from the Dewar's ad.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Kyle is the older brother, the one who as an adult is pudgy whereas the younger brother, who was picked on all of his life, is the good looking one with the fancy car, basically telling his older brother, who's picked on him all of his life, to stuff it.

I guess it's a good thing his car was locked! </sarcasm>

ETA: QUote added for clarity.

Edited by ubi, Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:46 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 11:35 PM

That Eliquis ad bugs the heck out me, too.  If the woman is his wife, why does he have to explain to her what medications he's taking, and why?

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 3:25 AM

I've been trying to find it on Youtube, but I can't - perhaps someone will remember it though.  Back in the late '80s/early '90s, there was a series of those "milk: it does a body good" commercials, with homely kids drinking milk and talking to or as their hot future selves.  Weird enough, but there was one that continues to confuse me.  In it, a little girl complains that her older brother doesn't pay attention to her, but just wait until she drinks her milk and grows up to have a hot body; then she won't even acknowledge him and he'll be sorry.

It's been 20+ years and I still don't understand why she wants her brother to think "damn, my sister got hot!  I should have been nicer to her when I had the chance!"

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 3:34 AM

Because she'll be cool and have all the celebrity friends an not invite her loser brother to the Hollywood parties her awesome body has earned her a ticket to? I got nothin'.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

I don't understand the Geico commercial with the Pillsbury Doughboy at the airport.  I know that he's holding up the line at the security station because every time the guard tries to frisk him, he giggles and they stop.  What I don't understand is why they have to frisk him at all.  He's naked and obviously not anatomically correct (without describing it further--no hiding places for contraband).  All they have to do is check under his kerchief and his chef's hat.  What's so hard about that?

The TSA  hires stupid people.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

McKay, I found that milk commercial. Here. It's the second one down. I don't find it as creepy as you described it.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

That Eliquis ad bugs the heck out me, too.  If the woman is his wife, why does he have to explain to her what medications he's taking, and why?

That one also bugs me because the man. Went to. The. William Shatner. School. For. Acting, judging by the way he phrases things. But I do love the wife's glazed expression as he jerkily describes his medication to her. I can't quite decide if she's been hitting the sherry or if she's wondering what would happen if she swapped his pills for something else, after making sure his life insurance is up-to-date. She has this kind of, "Oh, God, there he goes again" look on her face.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

I think the actress is Jeannetta Arnette - she has a really cool voice and I can't see the point of having her in a commercial where she just stares and nods.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

I don't understand the truck commercial where a kid hits a window with a baseball and they build a baseball field with the help of their tough, trusty truck. They do the commercial backwards.....why????? What does that add to the message? The message would be just the same if they just do it forwards instead

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

I didn't think about it before. I was just kind of mesmerized by everything going backwards.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

This is actually a category of commercials that has me scratching my head. Why are the cell phone companies being so bitchy and insulting toward people who use other brand/OS? If the goal is to get people to switch from this OS to that OS, how does insulting them accomplish that? And all of them seem to be doing it lately.

Stella MD

Stella MD

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

The Kay Jewelers commercial where the couple is looking at engagement rings and the woman finds the one she wants - it's the perfect cut, yada yada, even fits her finger - then she freaks the hell out when her partner gets on one knee and actually proposes. Super confused why this is suddenly a shocking surprise to her. Did she think she was helping him pick out a ring for someone else?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

What's lazier, proposing in a jewelry store or on a plane? Maybe the jewelry stores will start one-upping each other on mundane proposals. I suppose the idea is that it doesn't matter where/how you do it if you have the right ring. Drawing from that concept... while stuck in traffic? A unisex bathroom in Dairy Queen? Email?

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 8:12 AM

I like the jewelry store one. There was some discussion here a while back on that one, if you miss the beginning (or if they cut it out) it makes no sense. Before the couple goes in, the guy (I'm pretty sure it's him) says something like "We're just looking, right?" hence her surprise that he had it set up.

EighteenTwelve

EighteenTwelve

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

There's a truck commercial in which the guy doing the talking says the truck in question is "second to nobody.  And by nobody I mean Ram and Ford."  So he's just admitted the truck he's selling is second (or third) to Ram and Ford, right? 

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I like the jewelry store one. There was some discussion here a while back on that one, if you miss the beginning (or if they cut it out) it makes no sense. Before the couple goes in, the guy (I'm pretty sure it's him) says something like "We're just looking, right?" hence her surprise that he had it set up.          

I don't think that renders her reaction any less stupid; if they are looking at engagement rings, marriage has been discussed to the point of being something they understand as an intended part of their future and thus a proposal cannot be as much of a surprise as it seems to be.

Stella MD

Stella MD

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I don't think that renders her reaction any less stupid; if they are looking at engagement rings, marriage has been discussed to the point of being something they understand as an intended part of their future and thus a proposal cannot be as much of a surprise as it seems to be.

Exactly - and that's by normal, real-life standards. In TV-land, the very fact that the man isn't hyperventilating, sweating profusely, and actively trying to run out of the store when his girlfriend is looking at a diamond ring means they're already as good as married!

Edited by Stella MD, Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:24 PM.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

No, of course she's not surprised at the proposal in general, just surprised at the moment. Especially since he just confirmed they were just looking. I mean she's not falling down out of shock needing to be resuscitated, but has the appropriate amount of surprise at the timing. And the normal amount of surprise/excitement of most people at being proposed to.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

There is a Target commercial where a girl has a wrapped present that looks like a vacuum, but when she unwraps it it is some headphones. Then she has another present that looks like something else, but turns out to be a phone. The thing I can't figure out is what is the second present supposed to look like? I've seen the commercial a half dozen times and can never figure it out.

sofaslug

sofaslug

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Ok, I know that various issues with the Charmin bears make to these forums.  I don't understand why Mama bear is always doing laundry when her family doesn't wear clothes.  Maybe instead of inferring that Charmin is keeping the ol' undies clean she should really be touting that Charmin is protecting their upholstery from  heiney rot.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

There is a Target commercial where a girl has a wrapped present that looks like a vacuum, but when she unwraps it it is some headphones. Then she has another present that looks like something else, but turns out to be a phone. The thing I can't figure out is what is the second present supposed to look like? I've seen the commercial a half dozen times and can never figure it out.

I can't quite figure it out either. It looks kind of like a car seat (not for a child; I mean, a seat from a car). Or maybe one of those seats that gamers play in/on/with? I'm terribly cool and in the know, obviously. "One of those seat things that the kids sit in on the floor when they play their games with the lights and the noises and the movement on the teevee, you know, Mildred?"

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

http://www.marketmen...rap-commercial/ According to this, it's supposed to look like a giant telephone (the receiver on an older landline phone, I guess?) which makes no sense. At least the fake vacuum cleaner looks like an actual vacuum cleaner. If they have to have explanations of what their ads mean online, maybe they need to rethink their ads? 

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

The thing I can't figure out is what is the second present supposed to look like? I've seen the commercial a half dozen times and can never figure it out.

Maybe it's because I'm old and remember using such things, but to me it was pretty obvious that it was the receiver to an old-style landline phone. I think it even has a cord on it.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

But wasn't it huge?