Commercials That Make You Scratch Your Head

• Please log in to reply

7846 replies to this topic

dbljaygrl

dbljaygrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

In an Xfinity commercial, two women are sunning themselves. One of the women has an horrendous sunburn on just her face while wearing a satellite dish around her neck. Someone please explain to me what this is all about? I just don't get it.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

What I DON'T get (and it stops me everytime I see the ad) is why her car seems to be in a lot by itself.

What I thought was that she was the very last runner and that everyone else had gone home. Which makes the message from Mom so nice.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

What I DON'T get (and it stops me everytime I see the ad) is why her car seems to be in a lot by itself. Usually races have lots for runners and they either have the race loop to end near the start or use shuttle buses before and/or after the race. Even small races wouldn't really have a single car in the lot (and race organizers would be the last ones to leave).

Didn't the ad imply that she was the very last person to finish (or at least long after everyone else did and had left)?

In an Xfinity commercial, two women are sunning themselves. One of the women has an horrendous sunburn on just her face while wearing a satellite dish around her neck. Someone please explain to me what this is all about? I just don't get it.

Presumably, the dish is reflecting and magnifying the sun on her face, much like those curved foil panels one used to see. I always wonder why the friend is being such a bitch to her ("Yeah, you tan SO well!") and why she doesn't notice her own face is sunburnt with 3rd degree burns.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

The tagline for that ad campaign was "Don't be a dish head." I'm guessing they got complaints or something happened to cause them to remove the tag, but the ads don't really make sense without it.

That particular one grates, though, because the exchange between the friends just seems smarmy and odd.

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

In a related ad, dish-man isn't getting reception so his date suggests they can find another way to entertain themselves without watching TV. Okay, so the dish-head inhibits the kissing but I still think a good portion of folks would prefer the make-out session (hands and other important body parts are accessible)to a re-reun of a L&O ep they've seen a million times.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

What is the point of Anything Dressing by Kraft? Because we need special dressing to dip things that aren't salad in? Did some strange strain of amnesia strike and people can no longer figure out how to dip vegetables, chicken, chips and other foods into ranch that isn't branded "anything"?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I'm seeing this confounding ad for those chips that are shaped like scoops in which these people are asking THE BAG about how this came about and via flashback, it relates how during the 1990's someone broke a chip trying to scoop up a hearty dip, followed by a slow-mo "Nooooo!!!!' and the bag wandering around in a funk until realzing the solution -- scooped-shaped chips!

But this a a PLASTIC BAG speaking!

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I think the bag is supposed to represent the product (i.e., all the chips). But why are they so eager to be eaten? If they get slightly broken in the dip, they have a chance of getting away!

Fools!

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

"Did you know you've been a smart phone beta tester? Yes, all smart phones are beta! But now the beta test is over!"

Really. I've been an Apple developer for over 30 years, I'm pretty clear on exactly what a beta test is, and trust me, Apple does not ship beta hardware. And I'll diss MS as much as any Apple fangirl, but they don't ship beta hardware either.

Or maybe you only mean the Android phones you're pushing? Well, you'd know best, but I'm still not seeing what's so special about this version (or crappy about the previous ones) that makes you make that claim.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

There's a commercial for Androgel testosterone gel where we are warned that women should not come in contact with application points.

Just where are you supposed to apply this stuff?

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

What is the point of Anything Dressing by Kraft? Because we need special dressing to dip things that aren't salad in? Did some strange strain of amnesia strike and people can no longer figure out how to dip vegetables, chicken, chips and other foods into ranch that isn't branded "anything"?

Sadly, I believe that yes, there are people who will think that somehow this is different than regular salad dressing and that they are to use this for dipping and salad dressing for salad. The general public seems incapable of reading beyond the name of a product to realize that it might be the exact same thing. I rememeber talking to a friend about this, specifically regarding the different types of Excedrin. They have a million different "types" of Excedrin, but many have the same formulary (not all, but a lot). For example, she would buy the one labeled for migraines and the regular one for a regular headache and then another one for some other type of pain. All the same formulary (one didn't have caffeine, that was it), but they charged more for the "special" ones and got her to buy 3 different types, all because she couldn't read the back of the damn box. These are exactly the people who's the market base for these dressings.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

There's a commercial for Androgel testosterone gel where we are warned that women should not come in contact with application points.

Just where are you supposed to apply this stuff?

Upper arms and shoulders. Yes, I use Androgel.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

So the Siri commercial with the guy making dinner, seems like he is making it for himself. Not sure what his plans are, but a very odd presentation.

I know he likely has a date, but it sure isn't implied that well by the commercial

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

So the Siri commercial with the guy making dinner

You made me LOL with that, HickoryColt.

The Siri commercial with "the guy".

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

That cracked me up, too, but I have to confess if I hadn't read here who she is, I'd be talking about "the woman" in the other Siri commercial. And Zooey Deschanel's commercial does have me scratching my head -- how is showing some nitwit, standing right by a window, ask her phone if it's raining an effective advertising strategy? So many of these phone commercials should have a tagline, "Phones for idiots" or "Phones for jerks."

(That's Samuel L. Jackson, HickoryColt.)

Edited by Bastet Esq, May 21, 2012 @ 1:33 PM.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I had no idea that was Samuel L. Jackson until this thread came along. I guess I'm only used to seeing him ANGRY.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

I see your point, Eliot. He should be yelling at Siri, "Yes, I want a reminder and I hope you burn in hell!"

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Or "I've had enough of these motherfucking mushrooms in my motherfucking risotto!"

Like from Snakes on a Plane?

Edited by Alexandria Bay, May 22, 2012 @ 2:20 PM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

I had no idea that was Samuel Jackson. I honestly just thought it is odd that he appears t just be making dinner for himself

I did recognize Zooey Deschanel, though I find her commercial being a bit too sickeningly sweet and cloying. Let's dance all day while it rains outside. How spontaneous and clever

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

"Did you know you've been a smart phone beta tester? Yes, all smart phones are beta! But now the beta test is over!"

Really. I've been an Apple developer for over 30 years, I'm pretty clear on exactly what a beta test is, and trust me, Apple does not ship beta hardware. And I'll diss MS as much as any Apple fangirl, but they don't ship beta hardware either.

Or maybe you only mean the Android phones you're pushing? Well, you'd know best, but I'm still not seeing what's so special about this version (or crappy about the previous ones) that makes you make that claim.

Actually I think the phone is a Windows phone. When Nokia? I think first brought them out, they were plagued with problems. So they ended up offering people a credit and a replacement phone and are now trying to rebuild their image.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

When Nokia? I think first brought them out, they were plagued with problems.

It was just one problem with the Lumia 900, but it was a doozy: a memory leak that would disable the data connection.
The problem was that it was meant to be a flagship phone for both Nokia and the Windows Phone OS. And it was to try to reintroduce Nokia to the American market after having been relegated to the sidelines for several years. Bad time for a bug to show up.

As for the Smart Phone beta test, I like it. I am a Windows Phone user, so obviously I'm biased, but the OS is really a delight to use. Things like the integrated facebook and twitter stuff were big innovations, and the dedicated camera button was ahead of its time. Unfortunately, since WP is a distant third in marketshare, the manufacturers didn't really try to make a high-end phone for it, at least until Nokia.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I've generally felt like the Siri/iPhone ads mostly look like these functions are for people too stupid to live rather than showing ways that would truly be useful. If you don't know which grocery stores are near your house or whether it's raining while you're looking out the window, you need more help than a phone could give you.

Show someone whose "buy gas now!" indicator light has come on and have them ask for the nearest gas station, with directions. Show a group of friends coming out of a movie theater and talking about what kind of restaurant they want to go to, then show them asking for restaurants like that nearby. Or show people at a restaurant saying they should go do something else after dinner and let them ask for events nearby. Or show people traveling and needing to find a hotel with available rooms or the next rest stop.

That would look useful, not like you're outsourcing your brain so that soon Siri will take over your life and turn you into a brainless zombie who's incapable of doing anything for yourself. Every time I see one of those ads, I think about how nice it is that they're creating a race of mindless sheep that those of us who still think for ourselves may one day rule.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

So they ended up offering people a credit and a replacement phone and are now trying to rebuild their image.

In the history of "we suck less now, honest!" ads it's a failure, because even with friends in the smartphone business I'd managed to not hear about that bug until they drew attention to it.

And given just how many different smartphones are out there, I can't see that campaign winning over anyone who didn't use the buggy phone. I should switch from a phone that I'm happy with to one where they're saying they had trouble getting it right? What's to convince me they got it right this time?

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Or "I've had enough of these motherfucking mushrooms in my motherfucking risotto!"

Like from Snakes on a Plane?

Tee hee!

Or, "Siri, I will smite thee with FURIOUS ANGER!"

Edited by Eliot, May 22, 2012 @ 5:17 PM.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Ha! They might actually get me to buy an iPhone with that ad!

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I can't see that campaign winning over anyone who didn't use the buggy phone. I should switch from a phone that I'm happy with to one where they're saying they had trouble getting it right?

I really don't think that's the point of the commercial. Most of the things the Smartphone Beta Test ads mention are digs at iOS and Android designs. They're hyping the Zeiss lens over the lower end lenses on other phones, the lack of a glass back compared with the iPhone, the infamous deathgrip from the iPhone 4, and so forth.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

That would look useful, not like you're outsourcing your brain so that soon Siri will take over your life and turn you into a brainless zombie who's incapable of doing anything for yourself.

ATT (The ad's for their service as well as the phone.) probably assumes that people will naturally be inclined to use Siri for practical questions. What they want you to do is ask it anything that crosses you mind so they can jam you for overage charges.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

ATT (The ad's for their service as well as the phone.) probably assumes that people will naturally be inclined to use Siri for practical questions. What they want you to do is ask it anything that crosses you mind so they can jam you for overage charges.

You mean like the stupid one-word "questions" John Malkovich asks Siri in HIS ad?

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

The Malkovich ad is the first one for the SiriPhone that I've actually liked. But I think that's mostly because I would watch him read a phonebook. He's always wierdly fascinating to me.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I was going to say the same thing about the Malkovich ad. I hated the ones with the couple on the road trip and the kid learning the guitar. The Samuel L. Jackson annoyed me. The Zooey Deschanel one made me dislike her even more. But I always pay attention to the Malkovich one. I find him weirdly fascinating, too.