Commercials That Make You Scratch Your Head

• Please log in to reply

7846 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

Oops! It's actually Cold Stone Creamery.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Move along, nothing to see here...

Edited by moose135, Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:50 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

nm

Edited by corvus13, Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Can I mention one that drives me crazy - I have no idea what its a commercial for but there are a couple versions. It starts with someone doing something nice, which inspires person B to do something nice to person C, which inspires person C...and so on while the voice over talks about whatever company its for.

Its a great message, but the part that drives me bonkers is that it ends with person Z doing the original nice thing. The one I just watched started and ended with someone opening a door for a blind person. They're stuck in a permanent time loop apparently, because clearly time has passed so that all of these other nice things were done. Every time I watch it, it drives me nuts. Which is sad, because its a nice message but all I can focus on is the time loop.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

There is a chain of ice cream shops called Marble Slab, however, and yes - that name always reminds me of a morgue.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I do not understand the Geico ads where a guy is doing a taste test at the mall with what are supposed to be random people, non-actors. Though they are probably really actors. But my questions are:
1-What does drinking some anonymous red liquid and telling the guy which of them tastes better have to do with car insurance?
2-Is it really surprising that the "more expensive and not as good for you" would be the one they don't want, even if they did intentionally make it taste bad?

These ads are just dumb. And there are at least three of them out there.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

These ads are just dumb. And there are at least three of them out there.

It's so easy, even a caveman can taste the difference... And no, I don't understand them either.

StKatherine

StKatherine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I think the implication is supposed to be that if you were clearly presented with two options- one that was appealing and affordable, and one that clearly costs more with an even lower standard of appeal- it would be a no-brainer. So why would anyone want to spend more for worse service when they could have it all with GEICO? (I had GEICO. We dropped them because they sucked.)

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I think they're just doing a spoof of those old-sty;e taste test ads, but this one black woman cracks me up with the way she contorts her mouth when she drinks the nasty sample.

xanxus

xanxus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

About the Wendy's commercial with the cute red head in the car with the two hungry guys.

Is she actually supposed to be Wendy? As in a modern version of the character magically appeared when the two said they were hungry (like the State Farm guys) or is she just some third friend that was there all along?

NewTyrastic

NewTyrastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

In one of those Fabreeze commercials with the blindfolded people describing the smell of Fabreeze one guy says "smells like children's blankets". Ew. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

I get the impression that she is supposed to be a modern Wendy in those commercials. The red hair is too much to not have that impression.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Marble Slab

Sounds like one of Bella's pet names for Edward.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

It never occurred to me that the red-head in the car is spspd to be Wendy of Wendy's.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

In one of those Fabreeze commercials with the blindfolded people describing the smell of Fabreeze one guy says "smells like children's blankets". Ew. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

I was thinking of babys blankets. Which, if they've been freshly laundered in Dreft, smell amazingly good. But older childrens blankets? Not so much.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Eeew is right. My three year old has a blankie and it stinks. I have to sneak it away to wash it.

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Another thing described in that Febreeze commercial is that whatever the surroundings are smell "beachy." When I heard that I immediately thought of smelling fish and seaweed. Not exactly a compliment to Febreeze unless they actually offer Dead Fish and Salt Air scent.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

ETA Nothing to see. Didn't realize I was reading three pages back.

Edited by CoyoteBlue, Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:53 AM.

Fiddler1

Fiddler1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

When I heard that I immediately thought of smelling fish and seaweed. Not exactly a compliment to Febreeze unless they actually offer Dead Fish and Salt Air scent.

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I'd probably buy that. I love the smell of low tide and hang my head out my car window sniffing like a dog whenever I get near the ocean ;)

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

When I think of the smell of the beach I think of the smell of tar, as well. Comes from living near the Gulf of Mexico!

There is a commercial for something - I couldn't tell you what for sure. It is a guy and young woman in a basement, that the guy is clearly living in. He is proposing to his girlfriend. Problem? - They look sort similar - it looked like he was proposing to his sister. Plus, WTF, why are you getting married if you are still living in your parents' basement?

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

There's a car ad, I think for Lincolns. The voice-over guy brags about how they included some kind of extra feature even though nobody would have known if they hadn't. He says, "To us, the things you do when nobody is looking are the things that define you."

But...the commercial is saying "look at us, look what we did!" Is that as blatantly contradictory as I think it is, or am I just confused?

smartyshorts

smartyshorts

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I haven't seen this one mentioned but there's a commercial for Nike or Sketchers or some kind of running shoe (I assume) where they show a woman running through all kinds of terraine and locations singing a song about "I love you so much I will run to you" which is twee and annoying enough. But interspersed with the woman is footage of some schlubby dude also sinnging about getting blackout drunk and waking up in a pool of his own vomit. Or maybe he was in an accident or fight or something and puked all over the street? Woman ends up running through a hospital to the guy, gets to him and closes the curtain around him and hops into the bed with him for some...post injury loving or smother him with a pillow if the speeded up heart monitor is any indication.
What am I supposed to be getting from this commercial? You can run to your potato sack of a boyfriend if he hurts himself? Sneakers make girls horny?
Anyone get what this commercial is trying to say?

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I think that particular Nike ad is really just trying to be catchy. I'm pretty sure the couple is separated by a bit of distance and decided to run towards each other. Schlubby guy was a dumbass, though, and downed a raw egg that wound up affecting him, so the woman had to run basically the whole way to get to his hospital room. Still not any particular message there.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

The ad is saying that if you use their shoe you can run all the way from San Francisco to New York, like the girl, but if you don't wear their shoe, you can't get out of New York, where the guy started from, without winding up in the hospital.

Jess Sayin

Jess Sayin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

I think that particular Nike ad is really just trying to be catchy.

I can't past the horrible "singing" to try to figure out the rest of the drama going on in a shoe ad. Invokes annoyance more than interest, IMO.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

There's an ad of some sort featuring David Beckem kicking a soccer ball and it curving wildly around the goal net and knocking out what appears to be a woman with a stroller. I think the ad is for some charity that buys mosquito netting for 3rd world countries, but fail to see the connection.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

The Farmers Insurance ads seem to be getting increasingly more deranged. And I want proof they cover random space junk falling on your house.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I'd like to know how random space junk includes a small version of the Mercury capsule.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I don't understand why the Scott's lawn guy is Scottish because all I can think of is that they took a random red haired guy and dubbed him with Billy Connally.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

The Dove Clear Tone ad for underarm deodorant is supposed to stop some form of irritation caused by shaving, but they show the model shaving dry skin. I'm pretty sure that could cause a bleeding irritation that deodorant is not going to help.