Season Four: Season of Crichton's Ass (S4 Spoilers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

494 replies to this topic

SerenityScape

SerenityScape

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:25 PM

The last season (frell you skiffy!!) Some say it's the weakest, some not. One thing is for sure though, it's the season of Crichton's ass...

sueli769

sueli769

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 7:36 PM

I spent a good portion of this season absolutely distracted by Aeryn's hair. What the hell was that?

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:42 PM

I didn't even notice Aeryn's hair - until someone else pointed it out to me.

I really liked the convoluted, metaphysical storyline. The episode "Unrealised Realities" had been foreshadowed from "Dog With Two Bones" and repeatedly hinted at all through the early Season Four episodes - but I completely misunderstood all the honking big clues until I rewatched the entire season a second time.

Brilliant stuff. I love it when the writers are smarter than I am. Gives my brain cells an opportunity to streeeetcccch! :D

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:41 PM.

monkeypants

monkeypants

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:54 PM

I spent a good portion of this season absolutely distracted by Aeryn's hair. What the hell was that?

Claudia Black has said that she wanted to have a short, punk haircut to reflect what Aeryn had gone through over the break, but either the directors or creators or someone disagreed, so they compromised on the extensions/wig. I think it's the worst in A Prefect Murder.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:13 AM

I didn't mind Aeryn's hair so much. i did wonder how they got extensions in the UT and how with all of that technology they couldn't make them more realistic. It might mean fewer hours spent creating pulse weapons but it would be worth it. Seriously, skim a little off the puppet budget if you are going to do it.

I will admit that I wasn't a big fan of Season 4 when I first wacthed it. But now I think that Season 4 had some of the best episodes of Farscape ever. And it is slowly replacing Season 2 as my favorite. Without a doubt my second favorite. So many perfect moments. RYgel on sugar. Aeryn held captive. Everyone on earth. John as the hero in JQ going after the wrong princess. The tag of TS. So many others.

The episodes with JOhn on earth were fantastic. He is happy to see his parents, his sister, eat chocolate and all of that but he never seems to think its permenant. He is nothing but dissappointed but unlike AHR he is expecting to be dissapointed from day one. He barely tries. I think that says a lot about how much he has changed. He is not longer just looking for a way home. And I think WSS is the tightest of the season enders. It just flowed beautifully.

I also think the first part has some enjoyable to great episodes. But on first impression the whole lakka/Aeryn thing was needlessly distracting. It all makes sense in retrospect and those episodes are pretty good. But the downside to playing a trick on the audience is alienating a few of them. This show has always been largely from John's point of view. The minute he knew he was going crazy we knew it. And all of a sudden we aren't privy to his inner mind. It was off.

I always loved how they let John not be a hero. God knows the boy could whine. And he sometimes made the wrong decisions. And there was the whole insanity thing. But I loved him. But upon first viewing of early Season 4 he came off as downright unlikeable and continued to be for a while. I still love him but a lot of people didn't. If I want to spend time with a whiny bitch who won't get over the past but won't talk about it either I would spend the night with my boyfriend. If I wanted to watch some guy just get stoned out of his mind rather than deal with problems I will spend time with my High School boyfriend. Although neither of their asses look anything like John's and they don't have those purty blue eyes.

Looking back I understand. I have and will defend John for doing it. Really the lakka was such a little thing that only took up a few seconds of most episodes. And its not as though he was ever really cruel or mean to Aeryn. But its all anyone focused on at the time. And it became huge in our minds. I am still not sure the pay off was worth feeling so dissappointed in the character or the show for those first months.

Although I think if they had renamed the show Crichton's Ass it may have lasted a few more seasons.

Edited by Betsyb, Mar 11, 2006 @ 3:03 PM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 3:14 PM

As I recall from rumors, Claudia Black has naturally wavy hair, and for various reasons chose to do a wig for Season 4.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 3:43 PM

My own feeling is that the lakka thing was about much more than substance abuse. I don't like the whole 'substance abuse' concept but I might possibly understand where the writers were going with it (through a glass darkly) and it wasn't somewhere frivolous, sanctimonious or superficial. Just kinda out of kilter.

[puts on Keanu Revees voice] It was deep man. [/end Keanu Reeves voice]

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 8:14 PM

I've a newbie to Farscape, having only watched 75% of S1 and 40% of S2, but I am intrigued by the thread title. Can someone explain about Crichton's ass? Do we see a lot of it or is he particularly assy in this season, or both?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 8:21 PM

In a nutshell, we see a lot of it, as our focus is directed to it. Especially in the early eps.

Shroom

Shroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 3:57 PM

I am intrigued by the thread title. Can someone explain about Crichton's ass?

Heh, well if that question doesn't deserve an illustrated answer, I don't what does. ;-)

Like cutecouple said, they show his ass a lot in the early episodes of the season. Specifically, in two of the first three episodes, Crichton taunts an adversary by caressing his own leather-clad ass.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 4:11 PM

In a nutshell, we see a lot of it, as our focus is directed to it. Especially in the early eps.

Well my focus was always directed to it from Season 1 to PKW. Thanks for the pics Shroom. Much as I love me some leather sometimes I wish this show was on Showtime...

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 5:42 PM

Yeah. *goofy grin*

liquid17

liquid17

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 11:50 PM

Is this the right place to ask a question about an episode from Season 4, Promises? Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about spoilers or do I have to be careful even though this is an older show?

Just want to play by the rules here!

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 11:59 PM

Go ahead. This is the season four discussion thread - if you were going to mention stuff from PK Wars that would require spoiler space... but if it is just for Promises I don't see a problem.

Let me guess.... *puts on thinking cap*

What was Aeryn doing during her time off Moya?

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:41 AM

Or more importantly, what the frell happened to her hair?

liquid17

liquid17

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:45 AM

Nope - when/how did John find out about her pregnancy? I feel like I missed something....

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:58 AM

That revelation came in the last episode of season three "Dog With Two Bones". The old woman planted a subliminal message in Crichton's mind that Harvey ferretted out ... after Aeryn left of course.

So Crichton knew that Aeryn was pregnant the entire time he was on the dying Leviathan Elack, getting drunk, going crazy (like the artistic genius Vincent Van Gogh) and brooding over his twin obsessions - Aeryn and wormholes.

The real question is... how did Noranti know?

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:58 AM.

liquid17

liquid17

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:05 AM

Thanks so much!!

BigBeagle

BigBeagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:52 PM

'Cause she's a witch! A witch, I say!

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:57 PM

'Cause she's a witch! A witch, I say!

That is certainly one possibility. ;) But what are her powers and what is her motivation? I assume they are connected to her third eye - and when her eye is glowing different colours it means something... but what?

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 6:03 PM

You could always choose the boring easy answer. That she some how found out on the Command Carrier when Aeryn found out. Which personally I don't buy.

The two things about Noranti that are interesting but aren't fleshed out are she is very much about the greater good. Even if it means letting the people she cares about die. And she knows about wormholes and there possible effects (WWL). Its not beyond the relam of possibility that she has seen Unrealized Realities dealing with the Crichton offspring. Which is how she knows about the baby at all. And has found that the universe is safest when John knows about the baby and is actively protecting him and Aeryn. There could have been some where Scorpy found out first and used it to get what he wanted. She is the one who strongly hints that it would be best to use lakka because Aeryn is his weak spot. Never because she is bad or he needs to get away from her. But because she is his weak spot. And of course, she is his supplier. Total speculation but she might be pushing John toward a world where he doesn't use wormholes to bad effect. Personally, I think this is supported by her actions in WSS. We know she would willingly kill John to save others in WWL. But she is wiling to risk a major plague to save Aeryn in WSS? Makes sense if she knows that child can be used for evil either by Scarren manipulation of John or because the whole DNA thing is right (which I like to believe isn't true).

All right, all right. I know that that can all be true without her ever having seen an UR. she knows about wormholes and how dangerous they are. From the Command Carrier she knows who Crichton is and what he can do.And is trying to aide him down the safest path. That is not only simpler but more likely true. But it doesn't explain how she knows about the baby.

So Crichton knew that Aeryn was pregnant the entire time he was on the dying Leviathan Elack, getting drunk, going crazy (like the artistic genius Vincent Van Gogh) and brooding over his twin obsessions - Aeryn and wormholes.

I have always had one question about this. John knows Aeryn is pregnant in promises. He doesn't know anything about a stasis pregnancy. And from everything else we know by this time in his mind she should at least be showing. Yet, he doesn't even mention it to the end of the episode. He never even seems to freak about how this whole thing might be effecting the baby. He just seems very confident that she is still pregnant and the baby is fine. Its as though John had already read the script for NE.

Edited by Betsyb, Mar 25, 2006 @ 6:30 PM.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 9:40 AM

I kinda see Noranti as picking up stuff about people through another sense or something, so she can tell if someone is pregnant, where their mind is and things like that by simply looking at them or being near them. Why she would dope John up, I have no idea though. I think it does make sense somewhere along Noranti's winding mindpaths.

Imagine the good she could do if she weren't quite so scatter-brained...

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:11 AM

I think the answer might lie in considering what kind of drug lakka really is.

Yes, Noranti told John it would help numb his emotions - make him think clearer.

But we also know that John sees visions when he takes it. In "Dog With Two Bones" he saw his wedding to Aeryn - and the death of everyone he held dear. In "What Was Lost" he saw a window into the past. Noranti even says:

Noranti: Like a wormhole... back to the past... see... see the peace.

Like a wormhole? What the heck does Noranti know about wormholes????

And later... when John was doubling the dose and popping the lakka like tic tacs - he kept seeing visions that weren't his memories. Not all them anyway. A lot of them were TalynJohn memories.

John may have been taking the lakka to distance himself from Aeryn (the frellnik) but that wasn't why Noranti was giving it to him. I don't think anyway.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

John may have been taking the lakka to distance himself from Aeryn (the frellnik) but that wasn't why Noranti was giving it to him. I don't think anyway.

As far as Noranti is concerned I think John's "explanation" was very much the reason she gave John the drugs. Because she felt that if he distanced himself from Aeryn then Scorpy (who she knows very well as she was his prisoner) would be less likely to use her and the baby to get wormholes. She is very supportive of them as a couple after Scorpy is no longer an immediate threat. And before Scorpy was an immediate threat she basically forced John to see that he needed to make a final choice and decide Aeryn is more important than earth. And she made certain that john would never stop looking for her or give up on her by telling him she was pregnant. If he hadn't known that he may have at least attempted to move on. She knew what she was doing. It was only when Scorpy was in the picture that she tried to put distance between them.

I also think John's explanation 99% explained why he was doing what he was doing. He was upset with her but he wasn't shuting her out. In JQ (after Promises and NE) when he thought he was seeing her he was thrilled. He told her he missed "this". And he fell right into giving Scorpy wormholes because of that transperant trust. With that and gameStark's easy manipulation using an Aeryn image he realized that he was a danger to not only the universe but Aeryn herself. That is when he started taking the drugs. They laid it all right out in JQ. Noranti was trying to guide him into seeing that herself.

Edited by Betsyb, Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:41 PM.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 4:22 PM

So, I was watching the Earth eps again today (Kansas and Terra Firma. I didn't like them the first time around, but like so many other eps, these were better now, I think at least partly because I understood them more. There's always so frelling much going on on this show, I keep missing half.

The translator microbe thing still bugs me, especially how they go out of their way to establish that Aeryn had to actually learn English (which is reinforced by her obvious delight at following the TV-shows: "wheeeeel of fortune!") and then letting the others, especially Noranti, speak to the Earthlings without any problem. That's in Kansas, since in TF I'm assuming the family had translator microbes injected, although that's not specifically stated.

I still think Rygel on a sugar high is one of the highlights of Kansas, by the way. Heh!

I also watched Unrealized Reality today (the silver lining to my cloud of being home sick: lots of time for TV), and that was much better this time around, also, again, probably because I could follow it better. I lurve the way CB plays Chiana and Gigi plays Noranti, they both nail the mannerisms to a T. Rygel as a Luxan and "Jool" with big, Luxan moustaches are both hilarious. I also think Raelee Hill does a convincing Stark.

Oh, and I even picked up on her saying "Katratzi!" this time. Not slow at all, me. Ahem.

But why was it that John had to shoot Stark, exactly? That part didn't make sense to me. I guess I was too busy checking out all the not-themselves people around.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 4:35 PM

But why was it that John had to shoot Stark, exactly? That part didn't make sense to me. I guess I was too busy checking out all the not-themselves people around.

I think that it has to do with Stark being prepared/knowing it's coming (like in "The Ugly Truth," when he gets dispersed) so that he can save his energy and reconstitute his body? Doesn't Crichton says something giving her "another chance"? I assumed that it was another chance to live, if she knew that the death blow was coming, whereas if she'd been executed by the PKs, or taken hostage and tortured, she wouldn't have that chance. That's my explanation ;)

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 7:23 PM

The translator microbe thing still bugs me, especially how they go out of their way to establish that Aeryn had to actually learn English (which is reinforced by her obvious delight at following the TV-shows: "wheeeeel of fortune!") and then letting the others, especially Noranti, speak to the Earthlings without any problem. That's in Kansas, since in TF I'm assuming the family had translator microbes injected, although that's not specifically stated.

D'Argo doesn't speak english at all well to the natives. All he uses is sign language and gets it wrong. Chiana doesn't speak english either - the translator microbes translate what is being said - so she understands what is being sad to her - but she doesn't "speak" it or hold a conversation.

And Noranti... Noranti always knows more than she should. This isn't the first time she has betrayed an understanding of Crichton's world that she should not have known.

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:31 PM.

SpacePPoliceman

SpacePPoliceman

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:16 PM

Oh, and I even picked up on her saying "Katratzi!" this time. Not slow at all, me. Ahem.

When the Katratzi mystery came up later, I, like Crichton, was convinced I'd heard it somewhere before, but, like Crichton, had no idea where, or when, or in what context. During commercial breaks, I poured over the backs of my DVD cases..."Jenavian said it? No, no, no, it was Natira...No! It was where the Skreeth came from!", and on and on. Basically, I went through just about every possible scenario, except, of course, the right one.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:49 PM

I think that it has to do with Stark being prepared/knowing it's coming (like in "The Ugly Truth," when he gets dispersed) so that he can save his energy and reconstitute his body? Doesn't Crichton says something giving her "another chance"? I assumed that it was another chance to live, if she knew that the death blow was coming, whereas if she'd been executed by the PKs, or taken hostage and tortured, she wouldn't have that chance. That's my explanation ;)

Yep. It was pretty chaotic in command during that scene but the dialogue between Stark and John does support that understanding.

STARK: Dead cannot die! Corporeal illusion. Return. Replenish. You. You shoot me! Shoot now!
John turns, already pointing the pulse pistol at 'Stark'.
JOHN: Comin' back, Stark?
STARK: Always.
JOOL: No, no, no, no, no.
John turns the weapon on 'Jool' to keep her back.
JOOL: What are you doing?
JOHN: Giving her a second chance.

Mind you... does this mean that Stark is dead already?

Stark and his powers are very confusing.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 2:18 AM

I'm not sure Stark completely understands the rules of his existence, so it would probably be asking way too much for us to.