Gunther Centralperk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21 replies to this topic

StuckeyGilmore

StuckeyGilmore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

Because we were talking loudly about making everyone else's threads...

CanadianTac

CanadianTac

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:19 PM

Hah! I love the title of this thread! That was a great episode...

Chandler: Gunther's my new best man!

Gunther: What's my last name?

Chandler: (silence)...Centralperk?

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:21 PM

His best line ever:

"Hey, this is a family place. Put the mouse back in the house."

Crazyrach

Crazyrach

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:26 PM

Gunther is the man!

A small part of me always thought that if Ross and Rachel never got together, Gunter should have been with her. But that would have been totally weird.

Cione

Cione

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:25 PM

What IS Gunther's last name? Did we ever find out?

Always thought he was kinda cute.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:46 AM

Loved, loved the ep where Gunther speaks Dutch. Because I speak Dutch and you hear it so rarely on TV. But also because Gunther rocks and so does Dutch. So . . . it was a winning combination, IMO.

I just saw the early episode (first season maybe) that I wasn't familiar with when, shortly after getting killed off of DOOL Joey goes into the coffee house for sympathy and Gunther confides in him that he used to be an actor on a soap opera (Another World, maybe?) and got killed off as well. That surprised me because I don't remember ever hearing this come up again in all the years of the show. Did Gunther quit acting completely? You'd think at the very least he'd be more sympathetic to Joey and his situation (especailly that time Joey left the coffeehouse unattended in order to go to an audition). It just seems weird that that got dropped. If they could bring up the "we were on a break" and Ross's multiple marriages a jillion times, you'd think they would have slipped this one in at least one other time in 10 years.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 10:25 AM

Gunther showed sympathy to Joey by hiring him at the coffeehouse in the first place, and not immediately firing him when Joey kept giving out free food. (And of course, Gunther hired Joey back because of Rachel's request, and he still thought Joey was working there even though he hadn't shown up to work in a while.)

I think yeah, Gunther stopped acting, and he fell back on running the coffeehouse. It was like a joke about how fickle show business is, and how quickly you can go from success to failure. Has he taken over from the owner guy Terry? I also wonder what Gunther's last name is, and whether he still has that hairless cat.

Edited by Cress, Mar 24, 2006 @ 10:24 AM.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 10:38 AM

I have no idea which episode this is from, but there's one where you see Gunther thinking, "Hey Rachel, would you like to go to a movie with me?... as my lover".

And I love the one where Rachel has finished the crossward puzzle and says "there's no here to hug". Gunther comes racing in from the back like the place is on fire, but trips, so Phoebe and Monica (I think) get hugs as they come in. Poor Gunther is crushed.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2006 @ 10:37 AM

I loved in the episode where Ross brings the Israeli champagne to Central Perk to celebrate getting tenure, and all of the Friends are there except Joey, and Ross asks Gunther to bring six glasses, so Gunther looks really happy and says ‘You want me to join you?’ and Ross says ‘Oh, I thought Joey was here. Just bring five.’ And poor Gunther's so crushed! Aw, I liked Gunther, especially when he was so enthusiastic like at Rachel's birthday party.

ruach

ruach

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 5:47 AM

I'm glad TPTB gave him a chance to tell Rachel how he felt though; I thought that was done very well. We all knew Ross was the one who would wind up with Rachel but I thought she let him down very gently. Poor Gunther. (That seems to be the theme of this thread. Heh.)

"Ezel!"

MelineB13

MelineB13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 7:58 AM

I LOVE Gunther dancing at the boys party for Rachel and when Monica comes in and is most upset about him being there.

My other favorite Gunther-ism is when he says he has to leave Joey at the coffee house so he can go get his hair dyed. Hee hee, he chooses that color :)

Ok, one more...When Rachel is saying good bye to him and she says she will think of him anytime she sees someone with hair brighter then the sun.

MelineB13

MelineB13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 8:03 AM

Silly double posts

Edited by MelineB13, Jul 21, 2006 @ 8:01 AM.

Sis

Sis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2006 @ 3:07 AM

I love the one when he asks Rachel for her birthday and when Ross asks him what he's doing he says he's making a list of everyone's birthdays, and when Ross starts to tell him his he says "yeah, whatever" and walks away.

And also...

Ross: Gunther, can I get a napkin?
Gunther: Yeah. Like you don't already have everything.

JackiFL

JackiFL

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 5:58 AM

I just saw the early episode (first season maybe) that I wasn't familiar with when, shortly after getting killed off of DOOL Joey goes into the coffee house for sympathy and Gunther confides in him that he used to be an actor on a soap opera (Another World, maybe?) and got killed off as well. That surprised me because I don't remember ever hearing this come up again in all the years of the show.

It would have been funnier if James Michael Tyler had actually been an actor on that soap opera & been killed off. (Yah, I thought all along that it was an inside joke and he had been on that soap, but just checked IMDB and nope, he never worked on a soap. Damn. It woulda been funny.)

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

If I recall correctly, that was the first line we heard from Gunther.

sunnysky85

sunnysky85

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

I love the eppy where Rachel asks out some guy in the coffee house (because Monica makes her decisions and orders her to!) and then Gunther arrives at the guy's table with a sign saying "We reserve the right to refuse anyone service" (or something) and tells the guy to get out.

Also, the eppy where Ross has to sell his furniture because of Emily. It's the "get rid of anything Rachel has touched sale". Gunther: "I'll take it all."

And my fave Gunther line is when Joey finally tells Ross he's in love with Rachel and Ross just can't believe it. He keeps saying "Rachel?!", as he leaves the coffee house. Then Gunther creeps up behind Joey, "Rachel?!" Soooo funny.

Edited by sunnysky85, Jul 30, 2006 @ 6:29 PM.

Sis

Sis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

Oh, I love those!

But the Number 1 Gunther Moment is, of course, after Ross punches the pole and he looks around and Gunther's just smiling at him. I loved that.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

I always wanted them to do one Gunther-centric episode. I thought it would be funny if they had Gunther fall asleep on the Central Perk couch after closing and have a dream where he was married to Rachel, Ross was a homeless bum, etc.

Sis

Sis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 11:45 PM

Gunther did go out well, though, telling Rachel how he felt. It was sweet, and everyone's surprised reactions were hilarious.

sunnysky85

sunnysky85

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2006 @ 6:01 AM

I also loved when they would toy with his feelings. The eppy where they're trying to find Monica's presents, Rachel and Pheobe go down to the coffee house because they think she may have hid them there. They figure Gunther would know. Pheobe is about to go ask him, but she stops because she thinks Gunther has a crush on her and it wouldnt be fair to toy with his feelings, so they said Rachel instead. Then Gunther faints when Rachel starts flirting with him.

Rocketfox

Rocketfox

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2007 @ 4:14 AM

A-WHA??? That certainly isn't in the episode I have on DVD! I have TOW All Ten Seasons box set; it is a deleted scene on the specific season DVD set?

I love how Phoebe describes Paris as a city full of Gunthers in The Last One. I always imagined Gunther would have this huge candlelit shrine to Rachel in his apartment.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2007 @ 5:46 PM

I love that Gunther manages to make it through all ten seasons. Nothing helps a show's quality like a well established world with secondary characters that actually have personalities.

I also love when Julie comes back and meets Russ.