The Pretty Fits: Simon Tam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

57 replies to this topic

destroythemeek

destroythemeek

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

Clearly I've been living under a rock, as I just realized today that Firefly has full boards here again. This makes me very, very happy.

Anyway, I just wrote a little essay in my livejournal on why I love Simon so much. If anyone is interested in reading it, feel free to go here. It's the most meta-y I've ever gotten about this show, though I'm sure what I say has probably been said a million times before. (I just got into the fandom in late January, so I'm a bit of a late bloomer.)

SophiaD

SophiaD

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 11:33 AM

Simon is my favorite character, too. I identify with him, having been mocked relentlessly for much of my life for being "uptight" and nerdy, and I admire his loyalty and selflessness tremendously, as well as his brains, toughness and medical ability. The scene when he confronts Jayne in "Trash" amazes he - he's so resolute, and learns so quickly.

I'm not entirely clear as to whether I want a Simon in my life or I want to be Simon, or, as others have said, would I want Simon as a brother or as a boyfriend? Well, if a Simon shows up on my doorstep, I guess I'll have to make that decision. ;-)

It doesn't hurt that Sean really is one of the most attractive actors I've ever seen, either. I find it difficult to concentrate on the *plot* in Objects in Space, because I'm so busy drooling. That's probably shallow. ;-)

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 4:01 PM

In China, everybody wants a boy.

As recently as 1966, the birthrate in China took a nosedive because of the particular distaste for the Year of the Horse as a birth-year for a girl, according to the Chinese zodiac. In fact, it was the Year of the Fiery Horse, which occurs every ten (I think) cycles, or 120 years. The Year of the Fiery Horse accentuates those Horse qualities (such as independence of spirit) that are prized in boys and [understatement] somewhat less so in girls[/understatement], according to traditional Chinese family dynamics.

Also, Ma and Pa Tam were the Bad Parents. Every Joss show has at least one.

Saffron (or whatever her real name is)

Do we even know her real name? I always go with "YoSaffBridge," Altosax. I feel it's safest.

Edited by Sandman, Jun 5, 2006 @ 9:07 AM.

Altosax3001

Altosax3001

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 5:23 PM

The scene when he confronts Jayne in "Trash" amazes he - he's so resolute, and learns so quickly.

ITA. It was especially nice given that the episode was mostly focused mostly on Mal and Saffron (or whatever her real name is).

MzLiz

MzLiz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

Mal is definitely my favorite. I heart Mal and his attitude, but I have a widdle bitty crush on Simon. He's hot, but he also has this inner strength that is so sexy. There are times when he takes a stand and will not back down. I love it when does that.

In the movie when Mal takes River into town and they have the very close call with Reavers. The scene where they get back and you see Simon come around the vehicle with a purposeful stride and determined look and he walks right up to Mal and decks him. That was hot! As much as I love Mal, that scene rocked.

His love and caring for his sister is so sweet. You just gotta love him. Maybe I can alternate days with him and Mal. The only downside that I can see is that I think he's on the short side. If he were tall Yowza. Ok, girly girl is going back under lock and key.

Carry on.

frannyglass

frannyglass

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2006 @ 12:50 AM

MzLiz , Sean Maher is about 5'10" (according to IMDB). He just seems short because Adam and Nathan are unusually tall.

vavf9

vavf9

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 20, 2006 @ 8:44 PM

The parentís tam:

At first when Simon is babbling on about this secret code he found in one of rivers letters, ya they probably did just think that the stress of his residency and being separated from his mei mei was kind of getting to him. I think Mr. Tam was scared at lest by the time of the police station confrontation. Specifically that he was about to lose both of his children. if you only have one child then full speed ahead, dam the torpedoes bring any and every thing you have to bare on saving that child cuse really what do you have to lose. However if you have other children then you got to think "can i really sacrifice every thing....including the one i have safe hear with me" just on the chance that you might be able to get the other back.

Why the change? Well aside form anything Simon might have come up with there is the cold fact that this "school" was conducting experiments on river (as well as other "students"). I would assume that the ptb never intended her to come home (send her home for summer break complete with surgery scars and newly acquired mental....tick's. How would that have worked?) There would over time been other clues as the ptb start to get more evasive and vague with info on how river was doing, what she was doing and what the planes were for her future. Maybe as Simon continued to stir things up there could have evine been an almost overt visit by some nice guy's in suits (and blue gloves per chance) just to make it clear that thay should be happy with the son thay still had.

or this is a joss show and parents (particularly male parents)/authority figures are BBAAADDD. You know half a dozen of one six of the other.

PS. there are discussions of the tam rent's in 2 or 3 other threads hear already I wasnít sure were to respond to tell you the truth

joeys pizza 47

joeys pizza 47

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 3:08 PM

I didn't really think about the Tam parents before, and I always kind of assumed that they didn't know about what was being done to River. I thought they were too self-absorbed with their dinner parties and richness to think about her. When I think about it though, they had to be at least a little suspicious of everything, especially when their genious son sees there is a problem. If the show had more time (as it SHOULD have...), there probably would have been more of a story to it, because, let's face it, it's television.
Maybe they were in debt. If Simon was doing his homework while Mr. Tam was home in the Safe flasheback, than he couldn't have been working long hours. I'm sure they had a lot of money, but med school bills, laser security systems, and the top gadgets would put a dent in any fortune. They might have been too proud to ask Simon for money, so they sold off their daughter. I know that's pretty twisted, but my only other idea is that they actally wanted a crazy, murderous, but graceful daughter. That's a lot more twisted, to say the least.

starwolf

starwolf

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2006 @ 11:50 PM

If Simon was supposed to be a snob, he was never played that way by Sean Maher. He was frustrated with his situation, but he was glad to have the crew of Serenity around to help (with the obvious exception of Jayne). When he watched everyone play future-basketball in Bushwacked, it seemed more like he was suprised they were having so much fun, but didn't see himself as superior to them.

Simon did get frustrated with his situation in Safe, but he quickly realized he shouldn't grouse about Serenity in front of Kaylee. I think he liked Kaylee, but didn't want to seem improper or anything like "you're the only girl around." If the show had continued a full season, I bet we would have gotten something a little bit better than "Since we're all about to die, I'd like you to know I occasionally thought about having sex with you" in the BDM.

PixiesSix

PixiesSix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2006 @ 4:33 PM

Ok, just watched the BDM again and noticed something this time. Was anyone else disproportionately distracted by Simon's blue satiny shirt? I mean, not in a good way. It didn't fit right. And it was shiny. And he looked like a host at a chinese restaurant. I mean, it had....sequins! SEQUINS!

mollyann

mollyann

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2006 @ 2:15 PM

Maybe he and River are really on the run for crimes against fashion (or impersonating Liberace), and the whole Alliance-playing-with-River's-brain thing is just a cover-up. That's what what we saw in the hologram recording doesn't quite match up with Simon's story in the pilot.

Edited by mollyann, Nov 12, 2006 @ 2:16 PM.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2006 @ 3:36 PM

Heh. I love that theory.

PixiesSix

PixiesSix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 12:56 PM

Bwahahahaha! Awesome, mollyann. Up until that point, he had been doing so well. So then his strategy is hiding in the open? Because from Jayne's cunning hat, to Wash's loud Hawaiian shirts, and Kaylee's pink ruffle-explosion dress, that crew ain't exactly in-conspicuous, iff'n you know what I'm sayin'.

Edited by PixiesSix, Nov 13, 2006 @ 1:01 PM.

onyxrose81

onyxrose81

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 4:55 PM

I have a fondness for the Blue Satin Sequin Shirt of Doom. I don't know why. Probably because blue is a nice color on him.

PixiesSix

PixiesSix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 11:05 PM

Yes, he DOES look great in blue. And out of it.

I'm sorry, I'm back. Most of his wardrobe is blue isn't it? It's kinda neat how each character sort of has his/her own color scheme. But the sequins...just...no.

Turcote

Turcote

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

I'll admit to being partial to the vests, actually.....

I really love the character of Simon. I almost always go for the quiet, scholarly type with a secret hidden snarkyness. Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's totally gorgeous.

I wish the series had continued for, well, a lot of reasons, but especially so that Simon and River's characters could have developed more. They have a lot of potential that was never uncovered, I think.

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 6:02 PM

All I could see when I looked at Simon was Dawson Leery, and I couldn't get over that. I admired his care for his sister, and can say that he is moderately attractive, but the (Van Der) Beek-ness is too off-putting.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 3:19 PM

Maybe he and River are really on the run for crimes against fashion (or impersonating Liberace), and the whole Alliance-playing-with-River's-brain thing is just a cover-up.

Which makes the Hands-of-Blue Crew the ... Fashion Police?

Heh. Who knew that bein' so fancible was a hangin' offence?

Apple IIe

Apple IIe

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 5:25 PM

I just rewatched "Safe" the other day and I realized that the young Simon is played by none other than Zac Efron, of High School Musical fame. I haven't seen the High School Musicals, because I'm pretty sure I would despise them, but knowing Efron is in Firefly will make it possible to convert a whole legion of new fans to our show- the teenyboppers!

SophiaD

SophiaD

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

I wish the series had continued for, well, a lot of reasons, but especially so that Simon and River's characters could have developed more. They have a lot of potential that was never uncovered, I think.

Totally agree - and didn't really like the movie as much as I expected to, because I thought it was All River and All Mal, at the expense of Simon (and all of the other supporting characters). Simon's best minutes in the movie were at the beginning, which was VERY cool, but after that, he basically vanished, emerging only to punch Mal, console River, get shot and canoodle with Kaylie during the epilogue. I suppose that's the nature of the genre - there are only so many arcs you can resolve, and this movie was much more about Mal's journey than anyone else's. Of course, there were lots of nice little moments buried in there, such as Jayne of all people coming out on the side of "doing things right," but those were too few.

Nothing at all against Mal or Nathan Fillon, btw, who I think is a great actor. It's just that one of the things I loved most about the show was the sense of "ensemble" and I didn't get enough of that from the movie.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

• Interests:Television, Dogs, Languages, Music, Imaginary Hallucinations, Being Weird

Posted Feb 8, 2010 @ 6:46 AM

I recently read that Sean Maher auditioned for Dexter and Victor in Dollhouse. I can't imagine him in either role, but I'm glad that he seems to audition. From all the cast members of Firefly, he seems to be only one who has not done a lot since Serenity. Because I am shallow, because he's exactly my type of man and because I actually think he's a decent actor, I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv again.

EvilEmoGnome

EvilEmoGnome

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

He did just do an episode of Human Target where he was the client...but he spent much of it dying from poison (he lived!). Still, it was nice to see him on TV. Still lookin' pretty I might add.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2010 @ 10:31 AM

Zac Efron was Simon Tam?

Lead Magnet

Lead Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

The very young Simon Tam, yes. :)

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

• Interests:movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Corgi

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 3:05 PM

Sean Maher did a Q&A at Comicpalooza this weekend, a con in Houston. He gave a pretty good panel, if it did get an awkward start.

He strolled up to the stage, sat down, and looked at us (the audience). We looked right back, in silence. He then looked at us some more and said, "Soooo .... anybody have a question?" It got rolling pretty well after that.

He stated he shot a pilot for NBC that got picked up, called the Playboy Club. He didn't talk much about his character, but he is not in any of the club scenes, at least in the pilot. It's set in the 60's, as he noted his 60's haircut he had to have for it.

He mentioned at one point that Joss had to correct how he was portraying Simon in the movie - he was playing him how "he thought Simon would be" and Joss wanted Simon "how he was when the series ended." I asked him what he meant by that, IE how did he think Simon would be by that point, and how he saw the character progressing. He stated he felt Simon would be more like the Firefly crew - looser, more relaxed, wouldn't enunciate things as much. He felt that was where the character was headed for the future.

When asked how he would picture a future movie, he said he thought the first scene should be Simon and a hugely pregnant Kaylee, with her belly hanging out of some tiny shirt. Kaylee would be cutting his hair, telling him, "It's just too pretty." And at some point Kaylee would be giving birth, and Simon would pass out.

I asked him to talk about his process for preparing for really heavy scenes. He said he does a lot of dream work, where you write down what you dream about and try to recapture that feeling you get when you first wake up from a dream (funnily enough someone asked Sam Trammell this at his panel, and he gave a very similar answer). He took Simon's boots from the set, and still wears them. "I sit in them and I cry."

He's still good friends with the cast, and lives a couple of blocks from Jewel. There was a lot of talk about how fun she is, and how she likes to drink. He said his favorite character was Anara ("Don't tell Jewel!"), due to her background and how she was brought up. One of his favorite memories from the set is the 360 scene during The Message, where Nathan kept popping up into the shot.

He was asked to take off his shirt three times, I think. He took it all in stride and seemed to have a good time on stage. His most hated memory was the vests - he absolutely hated them. Someone asked him how he felt about Zac Efron playing a younger him, and he thought it was great. He didn't know it was Efron until someone told him that at a panel.

basil31

basil31

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 8:48 PM

We always knew Simon was sly, didn't we?

Congrats on his coming out and his nine year partnership with his young family.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

Wow, I had no idea he hadn't technically come out yet. (The interviews I've seen make it pretty obvious, no?) Congrats to him!

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

I think we can safely forget the Hands being much of a threat to The Hotness... the second they so much as laid a fingernail on River, well let's just say that if the rest of the crew didn't kill them... Simon would make it last.