The Pretty Fits: Simon Tam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

57 replies to this topic

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:25 PM

Well, okay, he's not the original Doctor McDreamy (That'd be Bobby Caldwell...rowr), but he's damned hot.

SophiaD

SophiaD

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:11 PM

Well, I must agree with you on this.

antelogi

antelogi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

Simon makes me really confused. Because having two older brothers who are insensitive, moronic pigs, watching him always makes me think: "Aw, I want a brother just like Simon!" or "Why can't my brothers be more like Simon?" But then I get really squicked at myself seeing as I have a crush on Simon because, hello -- Shiny! and so I start questioning what exactly it is that I want -- Simon as a brother, Simon as a lover, Simon as both? And what does the answer to that imply? Was Freud right about me, all along? And then Simon and River get so schmoopy with each other and...oh, it's just all very very confusing.

Er, in other news, I'm really very normal, I swear!

Edited by antelogi, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:28 PM.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:39 PM

He's extraordinarly hot, I have to agree.

I wouldn't mind having a brother as consistently sweet as Simon is, but the crush outweighs that desire. Especially when he started getting out of those gorram vests towards the end.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:39 PM.

Lileron

Lileron

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

Please don't shoot me, but I have never found him that attractive. However, I think his relationship with River is one of the sweetest familial bonds I've ever seen on television. One of my favorite scenes is when he and River are talking about their memories of when they were younger and normal. Or as normal as a pair of genius siblings who actually get along can be.

scair

scair

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:48 PM

Me neither! And I don't know why, because objectively speaking, he IS very pretty. I really admire his devotion to River, but..it gets a little tiring after a while, more in the series than the movie. He just ends up being a bit boring to me.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:55 PM

Please don't shoot me, but I have never found him that attractive. However, I think his relationship with River is one of the sweetest familial bonds I've ever seen on television.

Same here. I can recognize the pretty, but he doesn't send me into a hotness-induced-haze the way Jayne does. Give me a manly man any day.

That said, his relationship with River can bring me to tears like that. The "Well, you're a dummy" exhange made me bawl.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:08 PM

Please don't shoot me, but I have never found him that attractive. However, I think his relationship with River is one of the sweetest familial bonds I've ever seen on television.

I concur. I can see the pretty, but I just don't feel the pretty. I pretty much only feel the pretty all the time with Mal. Jayne and Wash have their moments, but I'm never attracted to Simon. That being said, I love how far he is willing to go for his sister, and what he was willing to give up for her. He is completely and totally (and innocently) enraptured by his sister, and I love his Proud/Happy face when he sees River acting like a 'real' girl, like when she was dancing in "Safe" and getting chased by Kaylee in "War Stories".

One of the reasons "Ariel" is poignant for me is because we see how truly remarkable Simon is in a medical situation and placed beside his bumbling and ineptitude for space, it goes even further to show how much River means to him.

sf fan

sf fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:20 PM

And then there's me with my thing for "black" Irish and pretty boys all rolled into one gorgeous package. Throw in the smart, articulate, and the OMG!body and I'm so gone.

But then again, I'm a total whore, because I find Jayne and Mal damn hot, too. Honestly, toss them all in a blender and you've got yourself the perfect man. Of course, that would be messy, so I recommend a couple nights with each and a day to rest ;)

Belchimaera

Belchimaera

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

so I start questioning what exactly it is that I want -- Simon as a brother, Simon as a lover, Simon as both? And what does the answer to that imply?

Heh. I don't have any brothers, but I think the same thing. I'm glad to find that I wasn't the only one!

When the series first aired on tv, I couldn't stand Simon. Finally seeing the episodes in the proper order, I changed my mind completely. I loved the flashback to little River and Simon where he puts his books away to play with her. Best. Brother. Ever!

I also liked the ongoing relationship with Mal (in a non-HoYay way!). They were often shown opposite each other (arguing or visually on opposite sides of the screen) but I thought they were similar people - I could see Simon turning into Mal.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:43 PM

Same here. I can recognize the pretty, but he doesn't send me into a hotness-induced-haze the way Jayne does. Give me a manly man any day.

Yeah I'm more into hairy guys like Jayne instead of boys like Simon. But I will admit he is good looking.

I love River and Simon. Sometimes it's a bit heavy-handed, but one of my very favorite moments is when he hugs her even though she just threw up on his bed. Hee! I was pleased to see her get a chance to take care of him in the movie.

antelogi

antelogi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 2:07 AM

Simon's relationship with River was one of the best things about the show, definitely. And it's strange, because for me (aside from the body) I don't see the pretty, really (Shiny! yes, but not really conventionally pretty). Sean Maher is sort of odd looking really. But the sarcasm, the sacrifice, the absolute willingness to die for River -- that's what makes me love him, and what made me start seeing him as all seven levels of hot. Plus, he holds his own against Mal -- I mean, this little Osiris raised rich kid managing to weasel his way into Serenity for as long as he did? Pretty damn impressive.

Heh. I don't have any brothers, but I think the same thing. I'm glad to find that I wasn't the only one!

Oh thank the powers I'm not the only one. I thought I was going insane thinking in circles like that. And you know, I think Firefly is the Whedonverse that inspires the most perverseness in fandom. Makes sense, Mal being such a fan of all seven.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

I agree. I don't find him unattractive, but he just doesn't do it for me (and I find his chin unsettling and odd). The only time I ever catch myself panting "Gvie me some of THAT!" is when his shirt is off. The boy has a magnificent chest. As that unfortunately doesn't happen very often, I'll take Mal over Simon any day.
Mainly I find Simon to be very whiny (and without a clue socially), but I just love his relationship with River so much. They do the brother sister moments so well. The scene when she throws up in his bed in War Stories is definately my favorite. "Yep. Definately my sister."

mollyann

mollyann

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

and I find his chin unsettling and odd

So I'm not the only one who thinks he looks like Jay Leno in profile? Good to know.

I still find him hot, but the gay vibe is just a little too strong for me to see him in a really sexual way. On the other hand, I definitely wouldn't turn him down. So where does that put me?

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 2:33 PM

My theory goes, if Sean Maher were any prettier, the universe would implode, thus the abnormally large chin.

Plus, he's really pretty in person.

sf fan

sf fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 5:22 PM

Plus, he's really pretty in person.

WORD, skrippy.

His smile lights up a room.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:46 AM

Oh I know at least sf fan is talking about when Sean showed up at the Toronto preview screening last June. And yeah...he's got an awesome smile. Maybe this is a bit strange, but in-person I saw him more as "cute" than triple-T hot. It's a little easier for me to objectify the characters than the real life actors who I don't know personally (or if Maher was just some model I saw on a billboard/in a magazine, then easy-objectification is simple there too). So Simon Tam is smokin' hot, Sean is cute.

Speaking of Sean Maher, I would still really like to see Living 'Til the End (the current trailer is too long and not as good as previous trailers were though).

On the men-of-Firefly scale, Simon always competes with Jayne for my top spot, it really depends on mood (and then there're those times when both sit comfortably at #1 together. And the torturous-yet-enjoyable 3-way daydreams take hold. Sorry, TMI for some, I bet). Mal is definitely there too. And then Bester...and then probably some other supporting character.

[/superficial mode for a sec]

Simon was often my favorite character during the first run of the show, even in episodes where he wasn't the focus.

Edited by Kris_AB, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:55 AM.

vampirefan

vampirefan

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 8:36 PM

Sean in person is totally hot - and absolutely sweet!

*sigh*

He really is my favorite.

antelogi

antelogi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 1:20 PM

Everyone needs to stop with the "in person" anecdotes before I start posting pictures of Kevin Federline in a fit of jealous rage.

And I agree, he's got the happiest, most childish smile I've seen on TV. I love it.

LibraryGryffon

LibraryGryffon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 1:28 PM

When I got my latest guinea pig, a brown roan with a white streak up his nose and a very sweet disposition (only a little nervous, by pig standards), I had the hardest time naming him, and then as I was watching Firefly for the umpteenth time, Simon just seemed right. So now the poor man has a piggie as well as a hamster. Still no town though.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:01 PM

Everyone needs to stop with the "in person" anecdotes before I start posting pictures of Kevin Federline in a fit of jealous rage.

Gasp! You couldn't be so cruel!

My favorite part of Simon was (is?), even though he is usually so sweet and kind, he can bring the snark as well as anyone else on the show and it's still totally in character. Objects in Space and the beginning "It's ok to leave them to die," parts of the movie being the most memorable examples.

My theory goes, if Sean Maher were any prettier, the universe would implode, thus the abnormally large chin.

That's probably true. Because he is so very pretty, I always wonder what he would look like in full drag. Hm.. That's going to cause some weird dreams.

antelogi

antelogi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:09 PM

Oh, believe you me, I totally could. Don't underestimate jealousy. Especially when inspired by Simon.

I agree about his awesome snarkiness -- I just posted a bunch of my favourite snarks from Objects In Space in the quotation thread. I think we can see where it comes from too, because as proven by his story to Kaylee, he was never really that uptight and always had a sense of humour.

You know, I actually think that while Sean Maher is so very pretty, it's not in that feminine way most young male stars look today. He's got very masculine eyebrows, really deep set eyes, and that gorram chin. He'd look horrible in drag, I think. I actually find his facial structure very...boyish rather than feminine.

morning_glory

morning_glory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 1:03 AM

ITA..Simon/Sean is very pretty. The pretty-ness only works for me when he smiles though. He's meh normally but when he smiles...someone hand me a fan and something cool to drink.

His relationship with River strikes a cord somewhere deep in me (not like that...you people with your head in the gutter. Jeeze) because I can relate. I have a younger brother and I would do anything for him if he was in trouble. If he was a genius/psychic being experimented on by some evil controlling empire, I would do everything within my power to rescue him.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 3:02 AM

I have a younger brother and I would do anything for him if he was in trouble. If he was a genius/psychic being experimented on by some evil controlling empire, I would do everything within my power to rescue him.

I also have a younger brother, and I think that's part of the reason the scenes with River and Simon just melted my heart. And the part where the Operative talks about the love on Simon's face? Sniff. I think it's just an older sibling thing; my friends who are younger siblings or only children just don't get it in the way older siblings so. My parents pounded the "This is the only person who will truely understand your childhood, you are all you have, you have to protect and love each other," into us. Even though my baby brother has out grown me by almost a foot and plays varsity sports, I'm still so protective of him (I'm the only one who gets to tease him!). I have a feeling that even though River is a killin' machine and not crazy now, Simon will continue to be protective. And that just warms the cockles of my heart.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 5:37 AM

I would definately do that for my younger sister. It's a realistic relationship, in my view. What is not realistic on this show is their parents. I'm sorry, but I can't believe their parents, who obviously value academic intelligence over values and conviction, would favor Simon over their genius daugher and just basically sell their genius daughter into the government experiment program, cutting Simon off when he tried to rescue her. That always struck me as the least realistic part of the show because I couldn't see a motivation anywhere.

LibraryGryffon

LibraryGryffon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 7:42 AM

In Safe, we Simon's father seeming to get more upset about how going through that door will now be on his permanent profile than he is about Simon being in trouble. And having to leave a dinner party, which I assume is upsetting because now Simon's misbehaviour might become public. The parents seem to be very much either supporters of the government, or else totally afraid of it, so whether it's out of fear, or out of some strange belief that what the government wants is always good, if the government wants their daughter, they will give her to it.

His parents also seem very concerned about their social status. Note how his mother keeps pointing out that worrying about River might hurt Simon's chances at academic advancement. Not whether he's becoming a better doctor or person, but his social/political position.

sailorwind

sailorwind

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 9:01 AM

I'm not sure they were afraid. I think they knew full well what the Alliance was doing to River. What I was trying to say, though, is that what I always loved about this show is that you could understand every character and where they were coming from- they seemed real. The parents never did to me. Though watching Simon talk with them about the letter River sent is one of my favorite scenes.

LibraryGryffon

LibraryGryffon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 9:49 AM

I've run into people like those parents though, especially in reading histories of 20th century totalitarian states. The wants/needs of the state take precedence over everything, and they are happy to oblige, to the point of happily sacrificing things that us crazy Brown Coat sorts would never dream of. So I, for one, had no trouble seeing the parents as real people, even if rather scary ones.

morning_glory

morning_glory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 10:30 AM

I'm sorry, but I can't believe their parents, who obviously value academic intelligence over values and conviction, would favor Simon over their genius daugher and just basically sell their genius daughter into the government experiment program, cutting Simon off when he tried to rescue her.

In most cultures, the son is valued more than the daughter because he is male, carry on the name, traditions, etc. In China, everybody wants a boy. For the longest time, only sons could inherit in European countries and in the US. Thank God that's changed. That idea may have carried over into this culture.

ITTA about their concern for status and how they are viewed in society's eyes.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

I think they knew full well what the Alliance was doing to River.

I never got that impression, actually. I thought that they were uninterested in River's letters because she always had been imaginitive and she and Simon always did play games. It seemed to me that it didn't occur to them that the Alliance would hurt their daughter, so they were all the more confounded and angered when Simon insisted on pursuing his actions. He wasn't just questioning their allegiance to their daughter, but their government as well. It seemed that they were Alliance supporters, since River and Simon both played a game where the Independants were not only the losing side, but also almost inhuman.

And though I love Simon and River's relationship, I don't feel as connected to it as the rest of you do. Probably because River doesn't seem to try to annoy Simon the way my little sisters annoy me. I'm more into the Buffy-Dawn relationship, because I relate to that better. I love how far Simon will go for his sister, and how they not only love each other, but genuinely like each other as well.