Merchandise: The Commerce Planet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1096 replies to this topic

MikeyMo

MikeyMo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

This seemed to be the most popular name suggestion out there...

I've been a little disappointed with the lack of extra commentary on the most recent Starburst volumes. 2.3, I believe, didn't have any commentary tracks at all. 3.1 and 3.2, IIRC, didn't have any that previous box sets lacked. I mean, I appreciate the hell out of the Starburst discs, but it'd be nice for them to pack on a few more extras.

There are never enough Ben/Claudia commentaries, either. I'd love for them to do the whole series.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:07 PM

Yeah, since I already have the regular editions, the only way I'd be willing to shell out more money for the Starbursts is if they have a ton of extra stuff on them. I did buy the set with "Jeremiah Crichton" on it just for the commentary track, but I'm not inspired to buy any other Starbursts just for the extras, thus far.

Have you guys seen these action figures? I want my very own DRD in the worst way ;)

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:11 PM

I have a few action figures. A couple Johns, an Aeryn, the DRDs. I was really bummed they didn't make more figures and, you know, market them. The Margherita Shooters Harvey and the Rygel are harder to find, and more expensive.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:40 PM

I thought that Starburst 2.2 was the one with no commentaries. I'll have to go back and check. Regardless, for the people new to Farscape, the Starburst editions are the way to go. More extras (sometimes) at a much lower cost then the original editions.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:39 PM

I want my very own DRD in the worst way ;)

A Scaper friend sent me a bar of soap with a DRD embedded in it. I'm torn between trying to free him from his soapy bondage and keeping the keepsake whole.

Edited by ChillinTheMost, Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:40 PM.

MikeyMo

MikeyMo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:20 PM

Starburst 3.3 comes out April 11th, people!

I did buy the set with "Jeremiah Crichton" on it just for the commentary track

"When bad episodes happen to good shows" -- One of my favorite commentaries ever. As bad as that episode is, I've watched it a couple of times just for the commentary track.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:08 PM

Browder is such a fanboy. He gives great commentary. Lots of behind the scenes stuff and he's so genuinely funny. Any Browder commentary is worth the money.

I'd love a commentary with several of the principle actors, especially Pygram. I bet he has some interesting things to say.

Edited by Selannia, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:18 PM.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:50 AM

So I've been acquiring Starburst Edition DVDs a few at a time, picking them up where I found them and such, but about a month ago I decided I should just bite the bullet and make a concerted effort to round out my collection. So I ordered the sets I didn't have from deepdiscountdvd.com, which many here have recommended. Actually, I ordered most I didn't have from them. There was one exception -- there was one set they didn't list for some reason, so I ordered that one from amazon.com.

Anyway... ordered them nearly a month ago, got a notice saying they shipped some time ago, but they never arrived. Can anyone tell me what the "typical" wait for delivery from them is? Have I exceeded it, or is this par for the course? I just moved and I ordered the DVDs shortly after arriving at my new place, so I'm wondering if they got misdelivered (because the local post office doesn't know I live here yet), or if they just take a really, really long time (in which case the delay is decidedly not worth the buck-and-a-half per set I saved over amazon's pricing).

Can anyone report similar experiences with them? Has anyone dealt with them on missing merchandise? How's their customer service?

Edited by BostonTony, Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:53 AM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:06 AM

A Scaper friend sent me a bar of soap with a DRD embedded in it. I'm torn between trying to free him from his soapy bondage and keeping the keepsake whole.

I'd vacuum seal it myself. Soap tends to dry out and crack over time. Then again, this is from living in the Upper Midwest where such things happen in the winter.

Random thought: rather then continue to rerelease the DVD sets with more commentaries (which I hope they do at some point), I wonder how a separate CD with a commentary, to be played alongside the show, would go over.

Edit: I stand corrected (see below), but since the info might be useful, I'll leave it here:

Can anyone report similar experiences with them? Has anyone dealt with them on missing merchandise? How's their customer service?

Are you talking Amazon.com? Have you talked to the post office (assuming they did the shipping)? Amazon has a customer service number: "Phone toll-free in the US and Canada: (800) 201-7575". Also check out that page for other contact info. Personally, I've had no problems with either Amazon.com or deepdiscountdvd. But Amazon's shipping can get quite slow at times, and sometimes they don't have the item in stock at the time. There are DVD price watch pages which I've used to find the lowest possible price on the Starburst sets - both come up frequently.

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:51 AM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:13 AM

BostonTony, I'd contact them (deepdiscount I presume?) asap. That's too long.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:48 AM

Yeah, sorry cutecouple, too many pronouns in my original post. Amazon is not the problem -- their package got here very quickly, as they always do. It was deep discount DVD's pakage that seems to have bitten the dust.

And yeah, I was going to contact them on Monday, kayaj2k. Just was wondering if anybody had any dealings with them before on anything similar. Wanted to know what I was in for.

Edited by BostonTony, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:49 AM.

Shroom

Shroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 3:32 PM

For what it's worth, I've only had good experiences with customer service at DeepDiscountDVD. They're good about replacing defective DVDs, and they did once replace an order of mine that had gotten lost in the mail. I called them after two weeks had gone by and they said to wait another week and call again. So after the third week passed and my order still hadn't arrived, I called again and they shipped the replacement DVDs to me the next day. Of course, the day after they shipped the replacements, the original order finally arrived, but that's not the point. The point is that DeepDiscount customer service gets a thumbs up from me.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

Yeah, since I already have the regular editions, the only way I'd be willing to shell out more money for the Starbursts is if they have a ton of extra stuff on them. I did buy the set with "Jeremiah Crichton" on it just for the commentary track, but I'm not inspired to buy any other Starbursts just for the extras, thus far.

I loved the Starburst commentary by Ben and Claudia on "The Way We Weren't" - they do give the best commentary. ;)

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:39 PM

I loved the Starburst commentary by Ben and Claudia on "The Way We Weren't" - they do give the best commentary. ;)

Ah, crap. See, I've been sort of keeping myself ignorant of what the new commentaries are, to attempt to head off any attack of acquisitiveness. But now I know that such a thing exists. Will I be able to resist? It's not looking good :P

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:15 PM

Thanks, Shroom. That's encouraging news.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:32 AM

Stargate now has action figures. Why do I bring this up here? Because I'm so getting me a Daniel and a couple others for action figure theater. Plus, if the early series sell, they'll get around to making figures of the current cast and I can have TWO Browder action figures for two different shows! With two different guns!!!

I'm thinking that they'll sell pretty well. The Stargate people have been wanting action figures for years.

Oh man. I was just thinking that it would be cool if Mitchell came with a 302, and then I thought how sad it was that John's module was never sold. Because if Mitchell had a 302 and John had Farscape, they could have races.

Yes. The sky is very pretty in my world.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

So I thought I'd pass this on, a follow-up to my previous post.

I tried e-mailing deepdiscountdvd's customer service to ask about the missing shipment. Got back what looked to be a form letter, explaining that USPS Media Mail (the shipping method they use) is supposed to take 5-10 business days, but can take as many as 15. It asks me to wait that amount of time (which I already had -- stupid form letter), then verify that the address they shipped to was correct (I also had done that already, and had said so in my initial e-mail), and then, if the shipment was still missing, I should reply to the e-mail and they'll help me out.

So I replied immediately to the e-mail, said yes, the address is right, yes it's been 15 business days (in fact, it's been more than 20), now what?

This morning, I got a message from my e-mail system -- could not send message for 4 hours. The system will keep trying.

This did not bode well, so I went to their website, found their toll free number, and tried calling that. Got a very nice and helpful person who said she would have the items reshipped to me by priority mail. Piece-o-cake. Now, we'll have to wait and see how long it takes before the replacements arrive, but the service was quite good -- the PHONE service. the e-mail service, not so much.

More news as it happens....

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:07 AM

Since this is the Merchandise Thread I just thought I would bring this up.

Farscape Canada has the coolest Farscape T-Shirts available; an Aeryn one with the mantra "You can be More" underneath, and a Harvey one. A winged Harvey head is gleefully embedded in a spiderweb, above the command: "Watch Farscape" - very appropriate for Harvey. Both T-shirts are based on Ratscape's designs and are quite eye-catching. I think there are some Hoodies left also, for those who want them.

If you are interested here is the link: Farscape Canada T-shirts.

FarscapeCanada.com is on the back of the shirt, but you can request FarWhat.com if you prefer.

There are also some links to Farscape Lapel pins. I love the PK Symbol one and the image on the Aeryn Pin is the same as on the Farscape Canada T-shirt. Ratscape is very popular. :)

Edited by Firecracker1, Nov 18, 2006 @ 11:55 AM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 11:32 PM

We've been discussing the new Farscape Starburst editions in the newbies' thread, but rather than hijacking that any longer, here's a nice recent review at:

guidetohometheatre.com

(scroll down about half way)

snippage:

The Starburst sets also include many extras and deleted scenes not on the original DVDs. With Farscape's now far more affordable prices, you no longer have an excuse for not sampling one of the best science fiction series of all time.

Annie B

Annie B

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 3:22 PM

the Starburst editions are the way to go

Do they have extras the boxed season sets don't have? I plunked for those (slowly, one a year - you can get slightly used ones for a lot less through Amazon).

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

Newbie glee! Yesterday I received the S1 Starburst editions, collections 1 & 2, just to get started on the whole collection. They are very shiny and wonderful! There are four single-sided discs on both sets, which fits with what Hank & BostonTony and others have said about ADV re-releasing them as single-sided instead of the problematic double-sided ones I keep hearing about.

Since I'm happy with them, I've gone ahead and ordered the rest of the Starburst editions, up to S3 collection 2, though there seems to be a mix of sets that are double-sided & single-sided. I'll have to figure that one out.

I haven't watched all the extras yet, but I did turn on all the commentaries while I was cleaning yesterday, and had a good laugh over the commentary for "Jeremiah Crichton". The fact that Ben Browder calls himself a "dumpy white guy" kills me. (I know it was only in comparing himself to the guest star who lives at the gym, but still!) It's funny when super-pretty people attempt to self-depricate. But the whole commentary is great - I love how they come clean about their feelings towards this ep, then get guilt trips for saying so. (And I loved the Easter Egg of the blooper for that one!)

I'm looking forward to the extras on the other sets - I love deleted scenes, outtakes, commentaries and documentaries/featurettes of behind-the-scenes stuff. The one thing I noticed is that "Farscape: Undressed" is available on the Region 2 (UK) editions, but not in the US. (Am I correct?) Hello, bittorrent.

Anyway, very cool stuff. I am pleased with my crack delivery.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:05 PM

Which pretty much answers AnnieB's question. :)

I believe there are at least 14 brand new commentaries on the Starbursts, plus all the existing commentaries and extras.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

I think that as well as the 14 new commentaries, ADV is hunting down region 2 and region 4 commentaries that were never used in the region 1 versions.

Not to mention the "Farscape in the Raw" extras - I find them fascinating.

I really like the Starbursts. ;)

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

So, does anyone know if the Starburst editions are being released in region 2? At all? Because - 14 new commentaries... *drool*

Annie B

Annie B

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 2:52 PM

I believe there are at least 14 brand new commentaries on the Starbursts

Sigh. And here I was so happy that I finally completed my collection . . .

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

You always need a set of loaners.... ;) *pats Annie B on the shoulder*

Never mind... you were only going to use the money to live after all. ;)

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:53 PM.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 6:58 PM

drgnfille, thanks for sharing your discoveries. Can you tell me how you got them? Through local shops or purchased online? I'm still debating, myself. Don't know why, really, especially when I read your post.

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 9:48 PM

Hullo, jfdb! I bought them online (new, not used) from Amazon. I'm a low-maintenance kinda gal so I just went with familiar territory, even though I know I could have saved a few bucks elsewhere. *g*

I wasn't aware of the double/single-sided issue until after I'd ordered them, so I was happy to see the single-sided sets arrive, even though the packaging is bulky, as has been pointed out on this board. But when I loaded up my cart for the rest of the available Starbursts, I noticed that some are the older double-sided, and some are the newer single-sided. I don't know what Amazon is doing, but I'll wait to see what is delivered, and decide if I want to send any of them back. Multiple DVD releases suck, because it's hard to tell what you're getting. And watch, in a few years, they'll re-release them yet again...argh!!

I love what's on the discs I have, but I didn't see the "Farscape in the Raw" that Firecracker1 mentions. Then again, I only have the first two sets, so we'll see what the others have on them.

Hope that helps!

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 7:54 PM

Cool. Thanks so much for elaborating about your purchasing adventures. I, too, am torn between the tried and true (amazon, bestbuy) and the renegade* sites. Not being especially tech-savvy, I'm confused by the one-side/two-side issue; the only difference is bulkiness, right? Like, two-sided=less discs, one-sided=more discs..? The special features should all be the same though, I would think.

No doubt about the re-releasing, prolly with added stuff like bloopers or something else I get a kick out of and there I'll be, delving into my savings. <g>

* I guess I like to make things sound more interesting than they are! I am the Crichton of my own imagination.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2006 @ 2:39 PM

Aleca, I don't know if you'll read this, but in another thread you were asking about Region 2 DVDs--this place has them on sale right now.

jfdb, take a deep breath and take the plunge already! Seriously, you'll love your Farscape DVDs like precious jewels, and yes, the extras on the Starbursts are exactly the same regardless of whether they're single or double-sided.