Newbie Impressions: Share The Wonders We've Seen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1762 replies to this topic

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

New to the series? And you really want to talk about it without being spoiled? Well then, welcome to the insanity, and post away!

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 6:01 PM

Newbie, reporting for duty. (I'm not sure how much of this post should be spoiler-tagged, lest I spoil any fellow newbies who are on different episodes...what do you guys think?)

So here's where I stand: first I rented the "Best of Season One" DVD to see if I wanted to watch the whole series. That contained the Premiere, DNA Mad Scientist, A Human Reaction, Nerve, A Hidden Memory, and Family Ties. I liked all of them, and am now watching the full Season One in order.

I just reached "The Flax", which was hysterical. I was so thrown for a loop. At first I thought that Crazy Space Pirate was too cheesy (he both cracked me up and annoyed me) and then they brought on the totally unexpected twist. "I love you...I love you...I love you..."

I'd heard that John & Aeryn had their first kiss in this episode and I was expecting it to be all serious and dramatic. And then the music swelled up, and the spacesuits got stuck, and then...the hilarious tone in Aeryn's voice as she says "Is someone DOCKING??" Like, are you kidding me? How dare someone interrupt us? Bwuahahaaa!

So great. I like being surprised.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 6:18 PM

Glad you enjoyed "The Flax" drgnfille, that was a hilarious line Aeryn said. Not to mention the tag scene between John and Aeryn when they turned to look at each other while John was leaving command. Apparently that wasn't scripted or even rehearsed. It just happened.

Serendipity.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 7:16 PM

CRICHTON: You know, big guy, I think I'd better give you two a little time alone here...'cause you know, in a universe this vast, when two hearts collide...

D'ARGO: Shut up.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 11:25 PM

Hee.

You know, another thing I liked about The Flax was that Rygel got to do something helpful, or use his evil powers for good, at least, and that's something we don't always see. Didn't see it coming, either. The episode is frequently cited for its shippyness, and yes, it did have that. But there was a lot of other good stuff in there. Rygel, Pilot being a little cranky about the bickering, Zhaan losing her patience with His Flatulence. Good stuff.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:27 AM

Is it possible to be a sorta newbie? I thought I had seen 3/4 of the series. I started re-watching with my boyfriend and realized that I had missed pretty much all of season 3. I am guessing that I missed most of season 4 as well.

All I really need is a good explination for why they are releasing the Starburst editions so bloody slowly...

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:04 PM

All I really need is a good explination for why they are releasing the Starburst editions so bloody slowly...

To torture us?

Missed pretty much all of Season 3? Heaven forfend! Excellent Season... Are you collecting the Starbursts? Cause the first two for Season 3 are already out and we are just waiting on the third. ;)

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 2:33 PM

I get the new starburst the day they come out. It takes 3 days to go through them. My boyfriend likes to pace himself, I think he is insane but he brings Thai over on Farscape nights so what the hey...

ETA Hey it took me 34 years to find him, he is mine, all mine...

Edited by ProfCrash, Mar 13, 2006 @ 4:20 PM.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 3:05 PM

I get the new starburst the day they come out. It takes 3 days to go through them. My boyfrined likes to pace himself, I think he is insane but he brings Thai over on Farscape nights so what the hey...

Ooooo! That boyfriend is a keeper. Farscape and Thai... excellent!

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

I was a lurker extraordinaire on the olde forum, but the shiny new ones look inviting. It's nice to be a newbie among friends. Anyways, I'm gearing up for the marathon to end all marathons with my friends, also relative newbies, but we have to wait until they get back from the east coast in two months (!). So I'm watching the weekly reruns on UPN. wee!

So far, I'm all mixed up and have no idea what I've seen and from where in the timeline, but my impressions are that now I realize how closely I have to pay attention to this show to get the most out of it and I really like the writing, the humor and how dark it gets. It's some yummy sci-fi.

ps. where can I find a boyfriend who likes FS and brings Thai over?

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 2:59 PM

Welcome jfdb! *waves*

So far, I'm all mixed up and have no idea what I've seen and from where in the timeline, but my impressions are that now I realize how closely I have to pay attention to this show to get the most out of it and I really like the writing, the humor and how dark it gets. It's some yummy sci-fi.

It most definitely is some yummy sci-fi. :D

Farscape in syndication just finished the end of the first season in the early airings and the end of the second season in the later airings. At the end of the first season John and D'Argo are hanging out in space hoping Aeryn will rescue them whilst silhouetted against the burning oil covered moon. Fantastic shot.

At the end of the second season John is left on the Diagnosian's table - with his brain hanging out screaming incoherently.

So which season are you watching?

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 13, 2006 @ 3:03 PM.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 7:06 PM

Ooohh...both! They air one after the other on my affiliate, which has been kinda wierd. And to get both nail-biting cliffhangers on one night was really intense. I was jonesing so bad for my next episode all week and then they aired the court episode where Zhaan, Chiana and Rygel are stuck on this planet, of which I've already had the pleasure. I've no idea if that was meant to follow the Season one finale (ie. S2 opener--which I doubt), or if it was random.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Firecracker1, and for helping me out with the timeline.

I am so toast with this show.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 7:07 PM

dirty rotten double post

Edited by jfdb, Mar 13, 2006 @ 7:07 PM.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 7:45 PM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Firecracker1, and for helping me out with the timeline.

You are very welcome. You are watching both seasons at once - for the first time? Wow what a mind bender. Are you able to keep the storylines straight?

"Dream a Little Dream" (the court episode with Zhaan, Rygel and Chiana) is a little weird in the timeline. Originally it was filmed to be the Season Two opener, but TPTB decided that it would be mean to make fans wait till the second episode to find out what happened to John, D'Argo and Aeryn, so they filmed a new teaser and tag and turned it into a flashback episode. But the production number is still Season 2 Episode 1 (201) - which is why it aired this week.

By the way - even though you weren't the beneficiary of TPTB magnanimity - be glad they showed it ... it is the last time. Evil writers. Eeeevvvviiiiiiiil I tell you. Really. Consider youself warned. And only keep soft objects close by when watching - so that when you throw them at the TV (and you will) you don't actually damage anything.

The real first episode of Season Two is called "Mind the Baby" and should be aired this coming Saturday. Did you watch the first episode of Season Three as well? That one is called "Season of Death".

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 13, 2006 @ 7:46 PM.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 8:17 PM

You are watching both seasons at once - for the first time? Wow what a mind bender. Are you able to keep the storylines straight?

Mind bender -- that is a great way to put it. And no, I am having a hard time keeping everything together. Especially with the stuff like D'Argo's son and Moya and that dude played by Lani Tapu who is on Moya's kids' ship.

I agree with the "soft objects" part. I've been on pins and needles during some scenes. And my God, the Scorpius part and him f*cking around with John's head has been hard to watch. By 'hard' I mean "good' of course.

The real first episode of Season Two is called "Mind the Baby" and should be aired this coming Saturday. Did you watch the first episode of Season Three as well? That one is called "Season of Death".

Hmm. I get my 'new' episodes Sunday at 11pm and 12am so I'm going to have to set the olde VCR. Unfortunately for myself, I was so tired after going snowboarding this weekend, I actually fell asleep before the S3 premiere. I know, I know. I could kick myself. But it will all be sorted out when I get the entire series and lock myself away. Curse that "Dream a Little Dream" for making me sleepy!

Sarah Rowland

Sarah Rowland

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 1:44 PM

Hello Farscape forum! Terribly excited, here.

Is it possible to be a sorta newbie?

If so, this describes me too. I've seen most of seasons 2 and 3, and almost nothing of seasons 1 and 4. I'm going to order a couple of Starbursts when I get back from class this afternoon and I can't decide whether I want the first 2 of S1 so I can watch episodes I haven't seen yet, or the first 2 of S2 so I can see episodes I already know and love from when the show really started to get good (as is my understanding...).

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 3:22 PM

Welcome Terribly excited! ;)

Can you get them all? You'll want the full series anyway, and then there's the brand new excitement of Peacekeeper Wars. Lucky ducky.

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 6:45 PM

Sarah, welcome to the clubhouse (newly expanded and improved)!

So if you started at Season 2, my first question to you is, how long did it take you to catch up, feel like you had some clue what was going on? I'm always interested in hearing the answer to this question from people who picked the series up at "odd" times.

Also, going back to Season 1 after watching 2 and 3, arguably the best seasons (most people, when asked, would pick one of those, though there are some who have different ideas), will be an interesting experiment. Please keep us posted on how it goes, and how those eps "feel" to you, given that you know what's ahead...

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

I don't know where to write all of my varied reactions to the UPN (new to me) reruns I'm watching. It doesn't seem right to start episode threads for every episode just because we have this shiny sub-forum, but then maybe it would be better than cramming all of my thoughts into this thread...hmm.

For now, I'll continue with my squeeage here. Last night I saw, "Mind the Baby" and "Suns and Lovers" and speaking as a seasoned tv ho, I've been excited about many series before, and got all hyper in the forums. But this...this is a whole new level of omgomgomgifrellinlovethisshow! I was transfixed.

I pretty much loved every. single. second. But the highlights were definitely the escalating John/Aeryn partnership. (goes off to J/A thread)

Anyhow, it's nice to see I'm not the only newbie. I wanted to kick myself in the head today when I went to an episode guide site and saw the list: "...Season four...[end]" Gah. What rock was I under when this show was getting the shaft? For FS, I would've actually wrote the angry letter. Can anyone direct me to the lowdown on how cancellation came about? I've only read bits and pieces about SG-1 getting picked over it, but I'd like to know the whole enchilada.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:03 PM

Here is the link to a recent discussion on Terra Firma about Farscape's ratings at the time of the cancellation (and the ratings weren't going down, quite the reverse actually!!!)

http://terrafirmasca...hp?topic=8087.0

And here is a link to a (long and learned) term paper on what was going on behind the scenes (at least as much as people in the know but not in the loop are able to figure out)

http://www.watchfars...id=93&Itemid=25

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:24 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:41 PM

Awww, I love newbies. You guys rock. Even now with the idiotic syndication schedule you're still finding your way to Farscape. I feel the sudden need to plug the DVDs again as it kills me to think of unsuspecting folks watching the seasons out of order. The new Starburst Editions are so worth it.

jfbd, if you're still up for a little letter-writing, please do let your UPN station know that you're watching. :)

End of Farscape PSA. Enjoy it guys, there's no series like it.

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 1:34 AM

Heh. Even though I'm still a newbie, I convinced a friend of mine that she should start watching Farscape with me by showing her the Crichton "Sharp Dressed Man" vid. She's watched SG-1 for years and wasn't quite on board with BB, and I went, "Oh, honey, no. No, you have to see him in this. You will change your mind." Bingo! On strength of a pair of leather pants, a pseudo-newbie has converted a total-newbie, and we both have a Farscape night now!

You know, I don't think I *had* the SciFi channel when Farscape was on the air; otherwise I would have watched it first-run. Of course, I might have passed out from the impatience of only watching one ep per week, though, so maybe the DVD thing is better for me. I just wish I knew someone IRL who had all the DVDs so that I could just watch them in one big gluttonous orgy-fest marathon. :) But at least there's Netflix.

Sarah Rowland

Sarah Rowland

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 2:43 AM

a pseudo-newbie has converted a total-newbie

Well done! This is what I'm trying to do with the boyfriend (also an SG-1 watcher, though I doubt he was drawn to FS by the hotness of Browder). I showed him "Suns and Lovers" the other day and he... didn't seem to hate it, so that's something. Everyone else I've made watch with me has actively disliked it. Sigh. My friends all hate sci-fi.

On the subject of my own newbie-ness, I should have access to S1 within the week. I'll post my thoughts on watching the seasons out of order and how it affects my enjoyment of S1 when I already know what happens in S2-S4 in long, rambling detail. I know y'all can't wait.
:)

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

Thanks so much for those links, Firecracker1. They were oh so painful to read, but you've simplified a very complex set of circumstances and I appreciate your hard work. Life can be so funny and so wrong all at once. I mean, bad timing? Gah. It's so frustrating.

kayaj2k, thanks for the encouragement. Firecracker1's links explained that a physical letter carries more weight than electronic, which I understand, but for today, an email will have to do. It sounds incredibly cliche and I'm sure I'm not the first (and won't be the last) to say this but it chaps my ass to no end hearing all of these so-called logical arguments against what is ultimately such a creative, artistic pursuit. I know the business behind the medium matters to keep it going, but what irks the most is the potential lost when who knows what difference a little more support would have made. I'll step off my naive soapbox now.

Two questions:
  • What is "skiffy?"
  • What does the "Starburst" edition mean vs. regular and how do you sort out the seasons when they list them simply as V03, etc.?

Shroom

Shroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 4:59 PM

Aww, it's so great to come in here and read all the squeeing from the Farscape newbies. I love to read your reactions to the show and particular episodes, so keep 'em coming!

To answer jfdb's questions:

1) Skiffy is the nickname for the SciFi Channel (read scifi as a single word instead of sigh-fie).
2) The Starburst Editions are the new Farscape DVDs that are being released. The entire series is already out on DVD, but the Starbursts have more extras (including quite a few new audio commentaries) and are cheaper. Each season is being released in three separate Starburst editions, so the eight Starbursts that have come out cover the first two seasons and two-thirds of the third season. The ninth Starburst Edition comes out next month and contains the last seven episodes of season three.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

kayaj2k has loaned me her season 2 and season 3 dvds (thanks, m'dear!) and thet arrived today. I am a bit worried because the whole borrowing thing was supposed to be because I lack the funds to buy them right now, and I fear I might have to. because...the whole 'borrow' thing implies she might someday want them back, and then I won't have Mind the baby and John/Aeryn doing the snuggleums in Pilot's office, and I won't have psycho leather Aeryn all "you will listen to me and do as " say, bitches" and I won't have the "naked Sebacean girls and margarita shooters." So I am wary of buying S2 because it goes to a sad place, so I hear, and it might be too much for me. But I do want the hot leather snuggling and shooting bits. perhaps I will just get the first starburst of S2 and not the other ones?

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

kayaj2k has loaned me her season 2 and season 3 dvds (thanks, m'dear!) and thet arrived today. I am a bit worried because the whole borrowing thing was supposed to be because I lack the funds to buy them right now, and I fear I might have to. because...the whole 'borrow' thing implies she might someday want them back, and then I won't have Mind the baby and John/Aeryn doing the snuggleums in Pilot's office, and I won't have psycho leather Aeryn all "you will listen to me and do as " say, bitches" and I won't have the "naked Sebacean girls and margarita shooters."

*snicker* Yeah that is a problem when you borrow the DVDs.

So I am wary of buying S2 because it goes to a sad place, so I hear, and it might be too much for me. But I do want the hot leather snuggling and shooting bits. perhaps I will just get the first starburst of S2 and not the other ones?

Farscape is an addiction. That is why we call it Crack TV. The first hit is free - after that...

The episodes on the third Starburst of Season 2 are:

Won't Get Fooled Again
The Locket
The Ugly Truth
A Clockwork Nebari
Liars, Guns And Money trilogy; Part I: A Not So Simple Plan; Part II: With Friends Like These; Part III: Plan B,
and the brilliant season finale Die Me, Dichotomy.

Good luck with that resisting part. ;)

Edited by Firecracker1, Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:44 AM.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:05 PM

Actually, that is the one disk she does not have. She sent me Starbust 1 and 2 of S2 and Starburst 1 and 2 of S3. So I get to skip the whole 'die' episode and skip rigjt to S3 where everything is happy, right?

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:33 PM

Actually, that is the one disk she does not have. She sent me Starbust 1 and 2 of S2 and Starburst 1 and 2 of S3. So I get to skip the whole 'die' episode and skip rigjt to S3 where everything is happy, right?

*spew* *choke* *sputter* *snort*

Ah yeah. Right. Season 3 - everything is happy. *backs away slowly*

Go to your happy place masked_spangler, keep thinking those happy thoughts.

*snort*

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:55 AM

More newbie reactions by ep:

Bone to be Wild:
Dang, Francesca Buller did a great job as a funky-looking compulsive snacker! *lol* Seriously, I look forward to seeing more of her. I've done some behind-the-scenes browsing, and I think Ben & his wife are adorable together.

Episode-wise, I love how the writers kept flipping the perspectives. He's the bad...no, wait, she's bad...no, wait, HE'S bad...whee! That's one of the main reasons I'm liking Farscape so much. Things are never as they seem to be.

I listened to the Anthony Simcoe commentary as well. I love how he'd morph into his D'Argo voice from time to time. What a likeable guy!

Family Ties:
I saw this before on the "Best Of Season 1" DVD, but it was great to see it again, especially having seen all the episodes before it this time around. I always appreciate when Rygell is allowed to have layers. Heh. Of course there's tons of J/A shippy squee-age for me to, well, squee about. Aside from that, once again I am impressed that BB isn't just a pretty face; they actually let the man act. Loved the scene between him and Crais in the cell.

Mind the Baby:
J/A squee. Will I be squeeing every episode?? I'm guessing yes. I loved the mix of drama relieved by those wonderful bits of goofiness (rock, paper, scissors!). A great season opener...and thank goodness I only had a couple minutes to wait between episodes, unlike the agony I would've had to endure had I watched it first-run! I love DVDs.

Vita Mortis:
This one didn't grab me as much as the previous three, but I have to say that I have grown to like D'Argo much better than when I started watching the series. So it's nice to have a D'Argo-centric ep. Now I'd like a Zhaan-centric one, please. Thank you, Farscape!