The Nitpicks: Monica Isn't the Only Anal One Here

• Please log in to reply

2499 replies to this topic

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

She probably never thought of it. I didn't know until I needed a passport that the birth certificate I had wasn't the "official" one or how to get the official copy. But now that you mention it, I wonder how she managed to get a driver's license without one. I don't know NY law, but I had to have my birth certificate to get my first license in Oregon.

I do kind of wonder how she never knew her middle name. Their mom didn't die until they were teenagers. Surely, her mother or or grandma would have used her middle name at some point in her life if she had one. Even if they didn't use it much, that doesn't seem like something you'd forget once you knew it.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I live in NY and let me tell you it's not easy to get a driver's license/photo ID without tons of proof. I was at DMV getting my daughter an ID and my son was getting his permit and neither of them had enough. I had birth certificates, utility bills, papers from school, etc. I looked through my wallet and voila I had my health insurance card which had both their names on it. Thank God it worked as I don't know what I would have done.

There's no way Phoebe would get a driver's license without her birth certificate.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Did they ever establish that Phoebe actually had a driver's liscense? She could have just been driving illegally, like Rachel did.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Good point, we don't know. But Rachel HAD one, it was just expired. And despite the fact that Phoebe once said, "Yeah, like they'll give me a passport," she clearly got one somehow because she went to Barbados, so she would have needed to have obtained her birth certificate by then. :)

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

True, but she went to Barbados a couple years after her encounter with Ursula so the issue would have already been dealt with.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Gasp!! The nerve of them not even telling us!! LOL

You're right timemonkey!

poster child

poster child

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I've watched every episode of Friends too many times, and yet I still notice things I had not seen before.

Item one: Scene in the guys' apartment, Chandler and Rachel are around the kitchen counter, Joey's in one of the chairs. Ross enters to announce that he and Emily are getting married in a month. In this scene, both before Ross enters and then once he's there, the message on the Magna Doodle on the wall by the apartment door changes between two different things. Of course, it's been like a week now, so I don't remember what the messages were.

Item two: Scene during the fake goodbye party Rachel throws for Emily (but really for Joshua), pregnant Phoebe is craving meat and she watches Joey make a sandwich. She asks him as he makes it, "What goes on next?" Etc. Now this is a big nitpick, but Joey brandishes a cold cut and answers, "Salami." To which Phoebe tells him he's a genius. The nitpick? No way was that cold cut a piece of salami. The size and shape was wrong, not to mention that salami isn't as floppy as whatever Joey picked up.

I'm lame. :)

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

So because I'm in the midst of wedding planning, I've been thinking about Ross' marriages -- specifically, his divorces.

Does anyone know what has to happen for a marriage to be legal in England? Does the couple have to turn in a marriage license to some government office like you do in the U.S.? If so, Emily didn't have to turn in the marriage license if she were so mad at Ross that she didn't know if she wanted to be married. In Oregon you have 60 days to submit it and until you do the marriage isn't legal. Unless simply having the ceremony is enough in London, he and Emily didn't necessarily get legally married, so he wouldn't have needed a divorce.

Also, what makes a Nevada marriage legal? I know the point of going to Vegas is that you can just show up, and I guess I know you can be married for just a few days and still need a legal annulment because of Britney Spears, but ... does Nevada just automatically make the marriage legal?

miclogger

miclogger

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Also, what makes a Nevada marriage legal? I know the point of going to Vegas is that you can just show up, and I guess I know you can be married for just a few days and still need a legal annulment because of Britney Spears, but ... does Nevada just automatically make the marriage legal?

There's no waiting period for a marriage license in Nevada. So, basically, yeah, marriages are just automatically legal.

My nitpick is that Monica and Chandler seemed really surprised to find out Rachel and Phoebe knew that they were dating.

They heard Rachel scream in to the phone when they were talking dirty to each other (during that whole "No, you know your nickname, Mr. big..." conversation. Did they just assume that she picked up the phone and screamed for no apparent reason?

And with Phoebe - it was a long standing point on the show that you could see from Monica's apartment, in to Ugly Naked Guys apartment, and they had to know that Phoebe and Rachel were going to be going to view the apartment with Ross. So, if you elect to have sex up against a window, why be surprised that people saw it?!

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

It's also a long standing fact that they never consider that the other side can see them too.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I always assumed Rachel hit the disconnect button on the phone before she screamed, but Monica was in the apartment; she should have heard it. That's always bugged me, too, as does the fact that they would have sex anywhere near the window when they knew the others were in that apartment.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

It's possible Monica and Chandler were engaged in an activity that would have otherwise occupied the bulk of their attention.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Ha, I'd totally forgotten that Rachel TOLD Monica she heard them on the phone. But we know they weren't otherwise engaged during that conversation.

Still, I would have expected them to think ahead enough to not do it in front of an open window if it's such a secret.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Why was Ross so surprised that Chandler had a third nipple? In the one with Phoebe's gay husband only Monica and Joey know about it, yet Ross lived with him for four years and never noticed it?

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Why was Ross so surprised that Chandler had a third nipple? In the one with Phoebe's gay husband only Monica and Joey know about it, yet Ross lived with him for four years and never noticed it?

Wow, I never thought about that, but you're right.

Although for all the talk of Chandler/Ross being BFFs as well as college roommates, it was always interesting that Monica knew, and not Ross. Before Joey moved in, I think it would be safe to say Chandler was closer to her than Ross.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

He seemed kind of insecure about it so maybe he just always kept a shirt on when Ross was around.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Maybe this was already mentioned in the thread, I wouldn't doubt it, but a minor nitpick of mine would be from TOW The Flashback. Third season was the 1996-1997 TV season, and this episode aired in October 1996. Okay, great.

Well, in that episode, it was said to take place "Three Years Earlier". Well, Ross was talking about how Carol met her new "friend", Susan, etc. And Chandler was on the hunt for a roommate who would ultimately be Joey. All well and good, right?

But the pilot was firmly (obviously) established in 1994, so you mean to tell me it took Carol a YEAR to leave Ross and get pregnant once she realized she was a lesbian? And then there's the matter of Joey: In TOW The Thanksgiving Flashbacks, it was said he got his head stuck in the turkey in 1992. That is not at all possible if you go by the original Flashback time line since he met Chandler in 1993. Chandler would likely still be living with (the never-seen but mentioned enough) Kip in 1992.

It just bugs me that this show could not keep a semi coherent time line.

Binks

Binks

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

From Ross telling Phoebe that he and Carol had one good time after she realized she was a Lesbian I just always assumed they split and were in the process of a divorce but had one more roll in the hay (shortly before the show began i.e summer 1994) and that is when she got pregnant.

They Joey timing was way off though. It should have been TG 1993 when he got his head stuck in the turkey.

AlisonBlaire

AlisonBlaire

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

Does anyone know what has to happen for a marriage to be legal in England? Does the couple have to turn in a marriage license to some government office like you do in the U.S.? If so, Emily didn't have to turn in the marriage license if she were so mad at Ross that she didn't know if she wanted to be married.

In the UK a marriage becomes legal as soon as the registrar says, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." Immediately after (as in within a minute or two) the registrar, bride, groom and two witnesses sign the register and a marriage certificate is issued then and there. But the register and certificate are only proof, the actual marriage becomes legal with the pronouncement. (It's the major difference between a UK marriage and a UK civil partnership {homosexual union}, as the civil partnership becomes legal when the second partner signs the register and the ceremony is optional.)

miclogger

miclogger

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

From Ross telling Phoebe that he and Carol had one good time after she realized she was a Lesbian I just always assumed they split and were in the process of a divorce but had one more roll in the hay (shortly before the show began i.e summer 1994) and that is when she got pregnant.

I forget the episode, but he did say that they had sex "one time after" she came out, so that's actually a plausible timeline.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

The writers, to be fair, lampshade the inconsistencies in the flashback episodes during some of the episode commentaries. I agree, though, that the Joey As Chandler's Roommate inconsistency is pretty jarring. Plus, I hope I'm not the only one who always struggled with suspending my disbelief about Joey getting his head stuck in a raw turkey, knowing that he could've gotten salmonella from it (I should know, because I almost got Salmonella once as a kid). Those two issues really ruined that joke for me.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Plus, would Joey ever really risk ruining a whole meal for a joke?

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Plus, would Joey ever really risk ruining a whole meal for a joke?

Joey ate a beef and jam trifle; I don't think he would care how it tasted in the end. Also see the very last Thanksgiving, where he ate the ruined food that was all over him.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

It's not about it tasting, it's that Monica wouldn't have even cooked it, thus ruining the meal. And he didn't wreck the food in the last Thanksgiving on purpose, that was momentum.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

What bugged me about the turkeys was that after hearing that story, which we know is after they already ate, Monica puts a turkey on her head. Why would she have another raw turkey (and clearly defrosted) that big in her apartment? They'd already eaten the one she cooked and her fridge isn't big enough to hold extra turkey.

In the UK a marriage becomes legal as soon as the registrar says, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." Immediately after (as in within a minute or two) the registrar, bride, groom and two witnesses sign the register and a marriage certificate is issued then and there. But the register and certificate are only proof, the actual marriage becomes legal with the pronouncement. (It's the major difference between a UK marriage and a UK civil partnership {homosexual union}, as the civil partnership becomes legal when the second partner signs the register and the ceremony is optional.)

Thanks! You proved my nitpick wrong, but that's interesting to know. :)

poster child

poster child

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

It just bugs me that this show could not keep a semi coherent time line.

Like how Ross explained to Joey that the "Red Ross" thing came from the time they (implying Joey was there) saw Dances With Wolves. Only Dances With Wolves came out in 1990.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Like how Ross explained to Joey that the "Red Ross" thing came from the time they (implying Joey was there) saw Dances With Wolves. Only Dances With Wolves came out in 1990.

Yeah. But maybe that can be wanked in that they saw it on DVD? (Did Ross say they saw it in the theater? I forget.) Ah, who am I kidding? It's probably yet another goof.

Edited by WendyCR72, Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:57 PM.

Coop Fontaine

Coop Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, 'cause I'm too lazy to check, but I'm watching TOW Phoebe's Cookies on TBS right now. Phoebe tells Monica that she swore her grandmother "on her death bed" that she'd never divulge her chocolate chip cookie recipe. The nitpick being, Phoebe's grandmother died at the grocery store. In that episode, Phoebe said her grandmother's last words to her were: "You get the eggs and I'm gonna get the yogurt, and we'll meet at the checkout counter."

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

There's a couple ways it could work but you're right, that's a pretty big one.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I can't believe I never noticed that. My explanation would be that Phoebe exaggerates, so she made up that part? (Although, even if she did, you would think Monica would have pointed out that grandma died at the store).