1-3: "Bushwhacked" 2002.09.27 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

31 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

Numbered according to the original intended order, as expressed here.

Is this a good episode? We go deeper into the Reaver realm, and get some creepy ass moments. But other than that and pranking Simon (again), what else is there? More character exposition?

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:17 PM.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:36 PM

Bushwhacked is actually one of my favorite episodes. The teaser is incredible, especially with Kaylee on top of Jayne's shoulders, and Wash is as funny as ever with his "Oh my God. Who's flying this thing?! Oh, that would be me" schtick. And I began fully hearting River in this episode. I love the way she looks when she says that its "ghosts". The only time I love her delivery more (and I love River's delivery) is when she tells Jayne that she can kill him with her mind. I love the interviewing; I love Zoe's interview as it intersects with Wash's and his oversharing. I love Jayne just sitting there, and I love Kaylee's enraged description of what constitutes as junk. I think it does allow the viewer to gain a little more insight into the characters, including River hearing people's screams after they've already died.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

I love Kaylee's enraged description of what constitutes as junk.

At some convention, Jewel was talking about that scene. Tim Minnear gave her that line at around 1 am, after a long shooting day. She only got the whole thing right once. And her frustration was real.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:17 AM

In addition to all the other good points of the episode that folks have mentioned already, I have this much-praised bit to add:

When Simon and River are hiding out on Serenity's hull in space suits. I mean the initial zoom out to show the scale of it all (the siblings against Serenity, the ship docked with the Aliance cruiser, the cruiser against the backdrop of black starry space) is one thing...but then we get that amazing piece of music playing under Simon's terror of the situation and River's joy after they've both looked behind them into nothingness.

The episode is very nicely shot as well. River making her way onto the ship in bare feet and stepping under the lighting coming from the grate in the ceiling? It's such an obvious set-up for an, "ooh look at the pretty lighting" shot, but I eat that stuff up. Plus the shot is static and she's walking from one side of the frame past the other. Simple, common even in how directors shoot things. But beautiful and appropriate to the scene, wouldn't have wanted Tim to do it any other way.

I far prefer "Bushwacked" to "The Train Job" and, even though it plays a bit like an episode of The X-Files (it felt way more like that when it was the second aired episode of Firefly though, before I got to see "Serenity" and the DVD-order), I think it works. Definitely one of my favorites from the first half of the series. Only the pilot, "Safe", and sometimes "Our Mrs. Reynolds" (depending on my mood) beat it out among those first seven (of fourteen) episodes. I always prefer it over "The Train Job", "Shindig", and "Jaynestown" though (much as I like most of "Jaynestown").

lsquare

lsquare

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 12:26 AM

The first time I saw this episode, I hated it. Mostly because I had no clue who these "Reaver" guys were, since the pilot episode had not aired. However, since the DVD's came out, this has become one of my favorite episodes. It really was the first time that River got to do anything of consequence, and I adored the scene where we see Kaylee removing Simon's helmet, from Simon's POV. Plus, the music on this episode was exceptional, beginning with the "Spaceball" scene, and ending with that short mournful piece at the end, when the derelict ship is destroyed. This episode really snuck up on me.

Plus, it's the closest that we got to seing Reavers, until the movie.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 2:33 PM

I love Zoe's interview as it intersects with Wash's and his oversharing.

Zoe's interview was my favorite. Especially this little smartass comment:

Interviewer (About Mal): You faught with him in the war?

Zoe: Yes.

Interviewer: And your husband?

Zoe: Fight with him sometimes, too.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

This is the episode that made me fall head over heels in love with Zoe. Her interrogation was freaking hilarious.

Interviewer: Do you love him?
Zoe: I don't see how that's relevant.
Interviewer: Well, he is your husband.
Zoe: ... yes.

Wash's part was hilarious, too. I love the extended edition, where he mentions there isn't a part of her where he wouldn't put his tongue.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

Just a double post folks, nothing to see here.

Edited by Lillywhite, Jul 22, 2006 @ 6:55 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

Okeydokey. Just watched 'Bushwhacked' on my voyage thru' Firefly, and I have to say that I didn't like this one as much as the last couple - Especially the first 30 minutes.

Loved the opening scene with the basketball game, and everyone having fun. I liked Wash's "Oh no. What could it be? Who's driving this thing? Oh, that would be me!" And everything was goiing so well, we get past the opening credits, and then the pace slowed to molasses for me.

The abandoned cargo ship bored me senseless before River even came on board, and I wasn't at all surprised about the bodies, nor that it was Reavers behind it. (I had already assumed that it was Reavers, and couldn't figure out why the rest of the crew hadn't caught up with me!)

Anyways, thank the lord for the booby trap twist! I was almost nodding off there. Hee! Kaylee "I think I can do it... 'sides, if I mess up, it's not like you'll be able to yell at me!" And Wash's face to that was priceless.

At this point I feel compelled to point out that I love the dialogue and the characters are still well defined and balanced, I just think that this episode has an abysmal lack of action, and this might have been a problem for me if I was watching this when it was first broadcast. This is the second episode of a new show that is trying to build an audience. So do *something*.

But no, instead we get a montage of the characters doing their things: the Doctor and the Shepherd with the bodies, the companion writing chinese, River tossing in her bunk, crazy survivor guy going froot loops in the sick bay, Kaylee fixing her booby trap thingy...

Oh hey! That's a big ship! And finally a little more action.

(And, I hate doing the Buffy comparisons, but it is hard for me not to when the whole interogation scene reminded me of 'Checkpoint' in no small fashion!)

Okay, does River have some kind of Reaver radar, or is she just attune to atypical emotions and feelings? Oh, and I didn't hate her so much this episode, I actually enjoyed her reaction to being outside and just enjoying the vastness and beauty of space!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

This was the first episode where the realistic soundless vacumn really stood out for me, in that final shot of the ship being blown up. How are you liking that?

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2007 @ 11:15 PM

Hee. The "Checkpoint" interrogations reminded me of this scene, not the other way around :-) I love that part so much. I love Zoe's "We're very private people," and then Wash's next line - "I mean, have you ever been with a warrior woman?" It's so brilliant. And Jayne's endless stare is priceless.

I find this episode to be one of the most boring ones - it's probably my second least favorite. But Wash in the teaser was so wonderful.

I love how River reacts to the open space, in way contrast to how Simon feels about it. And Simon putting on the spacesuit backwards is also priceless.

I can't think of anything Mal did this episode (or Inara even) which bothers me, but they are kind of awesome next episode, so it's all good. And the next episode is absolutely amazing, but that's neither here nor there (well, maybe in the "Shindig" thread...)

SoniaPL

SoniaPL

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2007 @ 11:53 PM

Bushwacked. Hmmm.... Not bad, definitly not my least favorite epsiode or anything. Just not particularly memorable.

I liked the interrogation scenes a lot. I heard that Wash's interrogation was just supposed to be him saying "the legs definitly the legs" but the camera's kept rolling and Alan improvised the rest.

I loved Kaylee going off on the alliance guy who had said something bad about Serenity. She really does love her ship.

ZoŽ was awesome, but that goes without saying. "Fight with him sometimes too."

As much as I enjoyed the space basketball scene I didn't really like the conversation between Simon and Inara during it. "You're pretty far from civilization." It just felt kind of forced to me.

Also I know it's been said, but River's face when she was on the outside of the ship. Just fantastic.

Edited by SoniaPL, Feb 10, 2007 @ 11:58 PM.

Softcocoa77

Softcocoa77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 12:00 PM

Okay so I actually watched this episode on Friday, but didn't have time to post about it, so my memory may not be the best.

This was not my favorite of the three I've watched(well I guess sort of 4 since "Serenity" is a double episode). It was pretty much slow as hell until the Alliance came, and hey look it's Doug Savant, hi Doug Savant! I kept waiting for Lynette from Desperate Housewives to show up and yell at him to leave the Firefly crew alone, but no.

The interrogation scene definitely rocked, and I loved Wash during it obsessing over Zoe. I can't remember every part of it, but it was awesome.

That was cool how River/Simon hid outside the ship, and she was actually semi-coherent so that was cool.

That guy who became like a Reaver was profoundly icky, but I sort of like how they have this other bad entity besides the Alliance. Like I said before, they remind me of the Borg, only almost creepier cuz they're human, but they eat people...eww

So kind of a boring episode, but it redeemed itself at the end.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 2:53 PM

"I mean, have you ever been with a warrior woman?"

That is all.

Well, not really. River was so much fun outside of the spaceship. I love Jayne and his blank stare, and Zoe's "We're very private people" was just so much fun.

Softcocoa77

Softcocoa77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

"I mean, have you ever been with a warrior woman?"

Hee! Yes I loved that whole interrogation of Wash, in fact I just love him. He's so cute and hilarious. The beginning with the "Who's flying this ship...oh me" cracked me up too. I love his and Zoe's relationship, and just seeing how they reply in the interrogation scene is telling.

I got to say I really do like Gina Torres being nice lol I'm watching S5 "Alias" with my mom for the first time (I just never got around to watching it on TV) and when she showed up again I had to like rewire my brain to "evil." She's really good with whatever she does, but I like her happy...and with Wash hehe

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 3:44 PM

I'm seeing Alan Tudyk in a play on Sunday. I'm desparately excited.

Oooh, I love Anna Espinosa! The end of the episode she was in made me sad, because, well, it meant, no more Gina Torres.

petpluto22

petpluto22

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

I love this episode. It took a while to grow on me, but I really do love it. I love the feel of the first half, and I love the feel of the second, even though they are completely different. I love River's face when she says, "It's ghosts", and I love how they show her being so in tune with the world around her. And I also love the whole protective vibe Mal gets around her, like when he's holding her arm as they leave the hold with all the dead bodies. And any episode where Simon gets to snark at Jayne is incredible. The feel of the beginning is so eerie, especially the funeral scene juxtaposed with Kaylee doing her thing to disconnect the two ships. The creep factor is made higher by the fact the crew could be just as dead as those they found if she screws up.

And I love the interviews. As mentioned, I love "We're private people", and then Wash going on and on and on about Zoe. My favorite probably is Kaylee though, talking about the flaws in the Alliance ships because they called Serenity junk. "Now that's junk." Just the self-righteous look on her face gets me every time. I have to laugh, because even though the crew's interviews are hilarious, I always feel like the poor guy interviewing them is just like, "Why me? Why didn't I just let that ship go? Now I've gotta deal with the description of this man's sex life/this girl freaking out about the problems with my ship/these moody people".

I'm seeing Alan Tudyk in a play on Sunday. I'm desparately excited.

That sounds so great, JerseyGirl! You'll have to give us all details.

Edited by petpluto22, Mar 12, 2007 @ 4:09 PM.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

I will share all details. It's so nice living 20 minutes away from Manhattan. Will it be terribly annoying to wait for Alan at the stage door and talk about the BDM? I need to talk about something. Can anyone guess what it was? Besides Softcocoa, who better not know anything about the BDM. In fact, do you know what BDM stands for?

It took me so long to figure that out. It also took me like a year and a half to figure out what NFA meant. All I knew was that it somehow came out "Chosen."

Softcocoa77

Softcocoa77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 6:40 PM

Softcocoa, who better not know anything about the BDM. In fact, do you know what BDM stands for?

No clue:) I have no idea what is ahead except I think I accidentally read that Wash dies in the movie, which really depresses me so I'm trying not to think or believe it.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2007 @ 7:33 PM

Big Damn* Movie, by the way. It's a take on a line that you haven't seen yet.

In Bushwhacky news, I love the game of space basketball. It makes me so happy.

* I accidentally wrote this as Dawn. Jossverse has officially taken over my life. Because, you know, it hasn't before.

Edited by JerseyGirl291, Mar 12, 2007 @ 7:35 PM.

FriarFabulous

FriarFabulous

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 28, 2007 @ 2:32 PM

Okay, so. Continuing my journey through Firefly, I watched Bushwhacked just a little bit ago.

Ohmygod it scared the living crap out of me. I know some people here are saying that it isn't their favorite, it's not one of the best, etc. And that may well be true, but I swear I jumped five feet when the survivor guy popped up from behind Jayne, when the survivor guy leapt out in the kitchen..

Like others have said, I really liked that baseball scene. I was hoping River would leap down and join in. I wanted to see River trying to play basketball. Come on Joss!

Inara felt sort of pointless in this episode. Hopefully that doesn't continue throughout the series.

All in all, I liked this episode. Good pacing, nice way to creep me out. And made me love River ten times more with the scene where she is hanging onto the ship with Simon and they look out into the nothingness of space. They have such wonderful brother/sister chemistry, and I can't see any romantic connotations in their chemistry at all. Which is a rare thing on TV (*cough*petrellicest*cough*).

Fat Elvis 007

Fat Elvis 007

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2007 @ 1:40 AM

Inara felt sort of pointless in this episode. Hopefully that doesn't continue throughout the series.

*giggles* Oh, no. Not at all. ;)

FriarFabulous

FriarFabulous

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2007 @ 2:38 AM

AAAAH! Elvis, don't make me think that's true. She was useless in the movie, even though I adored her. And I still adore her. It's just.. I feel like there's no point to her. Sometimes she just kind of disappears... But I guess that's more appropriate for the Inara thread.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Oct 15, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

Just watched this one for my second time, with a gang of friends my sister and I are introducing to the 'Verse. One of them said this was the only episode she had seen while the show was airing, and mused that she might have stuck with it if it hadn't been the only one she'd seen.

I have rather low standards for liking a sci-fi show, but I do see where she's coming from. This one has so many slow parts that I can see why it wouldn't necessarily seize your interest. Which isn't to say I don't like it - far from it. It has plenty of great moments.

ETA: Oh, but my sister and I laughed out loud when Wash said, "Reavers?! Zaogao!" Because we just took 1st year Chinese, and "zaogao" is a really mild expletive, something like "darn!" or "shoot!" So it was like Wash was like, "Oh, drat it all, not those Reavers again."

Edited by Mack the Spoon, Oct 15, 2007 @ 4:46 PM.

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

Well I knew that zaogao was a mild expletive but I didn't know it was a giggle worthy one lol

nowisthetime

nowisthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

Well, I watched this and "The Train Job" today, and since I found TTJ less interesting, I'm writing about this one.

So...reavers. I saw there was a thread about them, so I'm guessing that they come back in some way? I was creeped out when I saw those bodies, but I'm still a little unclear as to what the reavers exactly are. I thought that they were some sort of savages, and up until they showed the survivor guy trying to kill them all at the end I still thought this. But he was actaully physically becoming some sort of other creature...unless that's some sort of metaphor come to life.

I'm not sure what to think about the relationship between Zoe and Wash. I mean, I think that she was just being pissy with the interviewer, but so far she's seemed much closer to Mal than she has to Wash, which I don't like. I know Joss doesn't really like happy couples, but these two are married already! He can't break them up now!

I'm not too big on River-- she must be important somehow, but right now she just seems useless, although I do like Simon's concern for her. In particular, I really liked the scene where they're on the edge of the ship, and she looks out at space delighted while Simon gulps and closes his eyes. I thought that was a neat way of showing us their personalities.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 12:07 AM

One interesting thing I've seen is that some people, given that as aired this was the first the audience heard about Reavers, were under the impression that they didn't actually exist and were just a rumor by the Alliance, either to keep people in line or cover up some of their nastier deeds.

Zoe's relationships with Mal and Wash do get some nice examination later, don't worry.

beastie

beastie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2008 @ 12:07 AM

Keep watching. Report back to us after you've seen the whole series and the movie.

lsquare

lsquare

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 12:41 AM

One interesting thing I've seen is that some people, given that as aired this was the first the audience heard about Reavers, were under the impression that they didn't actually exist and were just a rumor by the Alliance

Having watched this when it aired on FOX, I remember being completely and utterly confused about who these reaver guys were. At first I thought they were some kind of alien race, but I remembered Joss' quote about there being no aliens on the show, so I assumed they were people from some specific planet. Which is probably why I really didn't care for this episode when it first aired, but grew to love it over time.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

Definitely enjoying the rewatch on the Science Channel. Yes, I have the DVDs, but watched them all before Serenity and this is actually the first time I've sat down to rewatch them again since the movie.

So, observations.

I like seeing a bit more about the Reavers, especially knowing their true backstory now. You can see the connection between them and River starting even then, whether its based on her possibly psychic abilities, or seeing something she wasn't supposed to and subconsciously burying it.

Seemed like an awful lack of blood for what apparently was a slaughter in the transport ship.

Nice to see Tom from Desperate Housewives in a serious role. Took me a while to place him.