The Radiant Aeryn Sun

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

Rockstar99435 in the Into the Lion's Den Part 1 thread was discussing how Aeryn could rarely be happy. Reference was made to all that occurred to her in The Choice, including this -

Why would Stark turn into a creepy stalker even though he never showed any interest in Aeryn before this episode?

I was thrilled in The Choice when Aeryn finally gave it to Stark. Ever since Zhaan died, there had been indications that Stark was obsessing over Aeryn. I can't recall the episode titles, but there was a scene where he was all up in her personal space (and isn't that a detailed description) and also when he listens to what he thinks are Chricton and Aeryn having sex after Rygel complains of all the noise they've been making. (John is actually acting out because he thinks Rygel is listening in, when Rygel really couldn't care less.) It was subtle, but we were shown that Stark was obsessing over Aeryn. It took The Choice for her to let us know that SHE realized it and wouldn't stand it anymore.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 12:29 PM

I was thrilled in The Choice when Aeryn finally gave it to Stark. Ever since Zhaan died, there had been indications that Stark was obsessing over Aeryn. I can't recall the episode titles, but there was a scene where he was all up in her personal space (and isn't that a detailed description)

It was "Self-Inflicted Wounds, Part 1: Coulda Woulda Shoulda".

Aeryn: It's all right. I know the hangar door configuration. (Stark turns away from Pilot and stands close at her shoulder, sniffing a little and staring intently at her. Aeryn doesn't need to stiffen any, but she looks up from the Console) Something wrong?

Stark: (in a quiet, bitter, strange tone) You're very pretty.

Aeryn: But I'm not Zhaan, right? Never be her.

Stark had fixated on Aeryn even before Zhaan's death. In "Meltdown" Aeryn tells Stark that Zhaan is speaking through her - and what Aeryn says is Zhaan's wish. She used his obsession with her to make him do what she wanted.

Stark's behaviour wasn't a surprise in "The Choice" - it was just really creepy.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 2:38 PM

I thought that Stark blamed Aeryn for Zhaan's death, not that he was obsessed sexually with her, which is what is what I thought was implied in The Choice. This scene:

It was "Self-Inflicted Wounds, Part 1: Coulda Woulda Shoulda".

Aeryn: It's all right. I know the hangar door configuration. (Stark turns away from Pilot and stands close at her shoulder, sniffing a little and staring intently at her. Aeryn doesn't need to stiffen any, but she looks up from the Console) Something wrong?

Stark: (in a quiet, bitter, strange tone) You're very pretty.

didn't come off as Stark being attracted to Aeryn so much as angry with her. The "You're very pretty" had a menacing tone. I thought Stark was pointing how unchanged Aeryn is physically compared to Zhaan who withered away and was all slimy-gross after she saved Aeryn. At this point, I was convinced that Stark was going to go fully crazy and attack Aeryn soon after that scene.

The scene when he is listening with Rygel to Aeryn and John having sex, it didn't feel as creepy or gross as Rygel listening to get off. It felt a lot like that scene in the Firefly movie when River is watching Simon and Kaylee from the ceiling; more of a morbid curosity or a child learning about something he has no knowledge of. To be fair, I've always viewed Stark as not being a sexual being. Even his relationship with Zhaan never felt sexual to me. And with Zhaan being a plant and doing the EarSex thing or Unity, I'm not sure how or if they had sex or mind sex.

In "Meltdown" Aeryn tells Stark that Zhaan is speaking through her - and what Aeryn says is Zhaan's wish. She used his obsession with her to make him do what she wanted.

See, I interpreted this to show that Stark is still obsessed with Zhaan. He didn't do what Aeryn wanted because it was Aeryn who wanted it. He was doing what Aeryn asked because it was what Zhaan wanted.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2008 @ 3:07 PM

Stark obsession with Aeryn started in Season of Death when Zhaan gave Aeryn a gift of spiritual energy - part of her soul. Which means that Aeryn carries part of Zhaan within her.

Stark, with his different understanding of death, recognized that; hence his creepy statement to Aeryn in Self Inflicted Wounds.

And later in another instance in Meltdown:

Stark: You're just like Zhaan in so many ways.
Aeryn: If you say so.

Zhaan and Aeryn are inextricably linked in Stark's mind. Stark was with Zhaan when she crossed over - he knows exactly what Zhaan gave Aeryn. And what Zhaan gave Aeryn was part of her soul.

Of course Stark is obsessed with Aeryn.

I thought that Stark blamed Aeryn for Zhaan's death, not that he was obsessed sexually with her, which is what is what I thought was implied in The Choice.

Sexually? There is so much more to Zhaan and Stark's relationship than just sexual. It is a part of it (Stark has sunshine in his head and Zhaan photogasms in the presence of solar light) - but Zhaan would have given Stark much more than just sex - and that is what Stark wanted from Aeryn. Sexual relations would only have been part of the equation.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

Been a long time since anyone posted here. But I had to add that after watching Farscape for the 1st time just last year , Aeryn Sun is my all time favorite tv character.

Claudia Black rules.