Oh, That's Not Right: Firefly Fan Fiction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

66 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 1:10 PM

The one fic that sticks in my head after all this time is a meta-fic, where the crew sits around a table, passing round other fan-fic, and freaking out at all the conceivable pairings. Is there any good fic that isn't slash?

cheeriogirl

cheeriogirl

Fanatic

• Interests:The X Files, Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Angel & early West Wing are some of my fave shows evah. I also loved Sports Night, Freaks & Geeks, Firefly, Arrested Development, Alias & Veronica Mars. Currently enjoying LOST, Battlestar Galactica, Friday Night Lights, the Closer, Top Chef, Project Runway, Iron Chef America and America's Next Top Model. Enjoy various cinema, theater, dance, museums & cultural centers, reading, writing, sports (I'm a March Madness NCAA Basketball Junkie). I once enjoyed hiking and outdoors activities and hope to again, soon (have some minor rehab for injuries to go through first).

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:44 PM

cutecouple, there's some varied fic over here that's pretty good. Enjoy!

Fiona77

Fiona77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

I like to check out the LiveJournal Firefly Fanfic community for varied pairings. There's a little something for everyone. Though, light on slash (I'm not a big slash fan but YMMV) if that's what you're in to.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:34 PM

cutecouple, would you have a link to said meta-fic? Sounds amusing.

sf fan

sf fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:42 PM

I cannot believe I'm the one doing this.

Damn good het:

Hawkmoth

Shanna

Maystone

And since I can't put up the het without pimping the slash:

A whole bunch of slash writers from the early days have made a home here: Compromising Positions

edited to admit to the self-pimping. Yes, my fics are all up at Compromising Positions

Edited by sf fan, Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:43 PM.

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:56 PM

Sphinx81's Power of the Pen is the meta-fic.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

Thanks, skripka2.

I'm worried this thread is going to affect my already tenuous grip on reality.

inalasahl

inalasahl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:10 PM

A whole bunch of slash writers from the early days have made a home here: Compromising Positions

There's het there, as well.

sf fan

sf fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 3:31 PM

Shush, liss, stop giving away our dirty little secrets.

You are right, though, I should have pointed that out as well. Bad me.

Aludra

Aludra

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:47 PM

Sphinx81's Power of the Pen is the meta-fic.

Thanks, I quite enjoyed it!

skripka2

skripka2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 9:23 PM

My god! I even found gen at comprom.

It's just, you know, hidden well. *g*

HawkMoth

HawkMoth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

Gosh, sffan, I'm shocked my ownself! Thanks for the reccie. (This is a more direct link to my stories.)

I've got some specific recs of older, "classic" Firefly stories here, and a mix of Firefly/Serenity fiction here.

Edited by HawkMoth, Mar 13, 2006 @ 10:12 PM.

acf151

acf151

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

There's a nice Simon character sketch over in the Pit called Becoming Someone Else. It's short and won't take up a ton of time.

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

I'm a terrible snob when it comes to fic (because the only fic I read in my life is fanfic and I am also a writer) and I've been digging through everything to find some entertaining pieces...

That being said, I did a big rec here of two multipart stories that weren't bad at all (minus a few spelling mistakes here and there). They read much like fun episodes and the character dialogue is pretty damned good.

Also, Bel Canto by rinnypj is very good. Very, very lyrical.

Lady Agnew

Lady Agnew

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 5:27 AM

Remixes of various FF stories by various authors -- all different pairings, often in surprising combinations!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 12:40 AM

A pretty interesting one was recently started: Serenity gets pulled into various universes, the first being Star Trek. This naturally leads to all sorts of fun given how the Alliance is basically the same as the Federation.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2930762/1/

And on a bit more of a "that's not right" note, there's Our Mrs. Cobb. AU onward from Our Mrs. Reynolds, in which Jayne and River are accidentally married at the same time Mal is. Very funny and sexy. It soon turns into a Buffy crossover, with one of the funnier scenes of a Scooby mistaking Mal for Caleb I've seen.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2790714/1/

Edited by Eegah, May 31, 2006 @ 11:15 PM.

satis75

satis75

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2006 @ 4:26 PM

A pretty interesting one was recently started: Serenity gets pulled into various universes, the first being Star Trek. This naturally leads to all sorts of fun given how the Alliance is basically the same as the Federation.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2930762/1/

I said I wouldn't but I clicked on the link and now I'm sucked right in. It's a pretty good story and features proper Trek....

shamoogity

shamoogity

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 1:45 AM

I'm kind of in love with this fic right now. It's called Gravity is Not Responsible for Your Fall and is by vivfic. It's Mal/Inara, NC-17 and one of the best looks at Mal/Inara that I've seen, as well as one of the best post-movie stories. A few of my favourite excerpts:

Everyone moved cautiously around Zoe, directing their conversation to safe, neutral topics. Suddenly breaking off stories that too late they remembered included Wash. Zoe ignored them all; continued to stride through the ship with her quiet confidence. Only if you looked very carefully did you realize that she always walked just to the left of center. With just enough space to her right for someone to walk next to her.

Somewhere she heard a voice say, "Yes." She would never know who said it. She only knew there was yes and yes, and his clever, scarred fingers undoing the fastenings of her top, and she thought maybe one of them was trembling a little.

vorpal_poet

vorpal_poet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 4:07 AM

Oh, thank you for reccing that one. I just went and read the whole thing, and it is gorgeous. Especially at the end, when she's repainting the letters....

It was my first post-Serenity fic, and I only cried a little.

Can anyone point me to some more really good and not too painful post-movie fics?

thanks!

Edited by vorpal_poet, Jun 7, 2006 @ 12:29 PM.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2006 @ 9:12 AM

For a couple of good actiony/adventure stories, I'd have to recommend "Kaylee's Lament" and "The Treasure of Lei Fong Wu", by 'ScrewtheAlliance' which can be found here. "Treasure" is still on going, even after 76 chapters, but it is a damn fine story up to this point, and has quite a few readers who wait anxiously for every installment.

littleblue

littleblue

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

I was devestated by Rise Up No More by, um... actually, I can't find the author's name anywhere on the site. No matter. You should read this fic - it's beautifully written (the imagery!), dark, and, though short, packs quite a punch. Centers mainly on how events during the war have affected Mal and Book. Deviates from canon because it predates the BDM, but you won't even mind.

Read it here. Please, please do, if you haven't already:

http://www.fadedpres...seupnomore.html

satis75

satis75

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

I'm kind of in love with this fic right now. It's called Gravity is Not Responsible for Your Fall and is by vivfic.

Thanks for pointing this one out - I'm still pondering it a day after reading it.

This one Another Day, Another Apocalypse has just started and is rather good so far, even though it features Fred in a crossover type deal.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

Oh man, this is just flat out awesome. Stephen Colbert's reaction to the Miranda broadwave.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2981035/1/

mrs u

mrs u

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 10:12 PM

I really like this one by poisontaster:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2504171/1/ - "Gutterstars", Simon tries to get to River, pre-series.

She has couple more of Firefly vignettes on ff.net: they are all good.

mrs u

mrs u

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 13, 2006 @ 10:13 PM

dp

Edited by mrs u, Jun 13, 2006 @ 10:42 PM.

satis75

satis75

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 2:08 PM

It was mentioned over on the Captain Reynolds thread that some Firefly fans are rather partial to the Discword too. Well here's a crossover fic and it ain't half bad...

Can't Stop The Turtle

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2006 @ 5:55 PM

Someone asked for post-BDM fic, and here's a great one:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2610050/1/

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

Okay, this is the big one. All Firefly fans great and small simply MUST check out stillflying.net. A two-season continuation of the show, all according to Joss' own vision. That is, they finish off season one with the events leading up to the BDM, then season two is the BDM's events taking place over 22 episodes, allowing for a much deeper take on the story than Joss was able to tell. It hasn't been updated since early July, but the writers promise they are still working on it, and when the next update comes it will be five episodes in quick succession. And boy, with the quality of these stories every bit of the time it took to write them shows. You will not regret one second spent reading them.

CarolJude

CarolJude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

Check out 'The Fish Job' - it's her very first fanfic, and is really well done, very engrossing. There's a lot of violence and some first rate brain browsing and distressing by our favorite blue meanies to our second-favorite Canadian starship captain, but also some other literary entertainment geared for adults, hubba hubba.

Every time someone recommends their own work to me, I immediately think I'm going to get "Captain Kirk is my boyfriend, and....*" but in all the cases that people have asked me to try them out I've been really pleasantly rewarded.

*(I have absolutely no reason to think that, by the way, except that back when I was 11 and 12 and going to misfit creative genius kid day-camp those were the stories my friends and I wrote, LOL and GAG ('gag' is NOT an acronym.) I'm just thankful the Beatles haven't shown up on Serenity yet...

Lileron

Lileron

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I'm just thankful the Beatles haven't shown up on Serenity yet...

Well, that's what I thought of when you said Blue Meanies. And there was that whole thing with the sea of time. Hmm. Crack!fic!