The Music and Jingles of Commercials

• Please log in to reply

1778 replies to this topic

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Memo to Nissan: If your ad is going to play every half hour on every single station, please don't give us an annoying remake of "Summer Nights" from Grease. Thank you. (shoots TV)

nothinggoodon

nothinggoodon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I'm pretty sure I just heard Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life" playing in the background of a commercial for, of all things, the DVD release of The Tigger Movie

The ad for the Oogieboogers movie or something like that. Anyway, some kids movie with a bunch of Teletubbies-type of people is using Nicki Minaj's "Starships" which seems only a little less bizarre.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Is a commercial really going to get me to buy a song? I think so. Not the product though--but I'll have good thoughts about Internet Explorer for a while so that's a tick in the pro column for them.

The ad for the Oogieboogers movie or something like that. Anyway, some kids movie with a bunch of Teletubbies-type of people is using Nicki Minaj's "Starships" which seems only a little less bizarre.

Whenever I see the trailer for that movie I think it's a parody for adults and the movie will be subversive or something but it seems to be rated G.

Edited by LT, Aug 28, 2012 @ 6:56 PM.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

That song is the ONLY good thing about IE9. Trust me.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I might be more likely to like that song if I didn't first hear it in that ad. Now whenever it comes on the radio, I think, "Oh, there's the Internet Explorer song."

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I thought I couldn't get "Cougar Life Dot Com" out of my head. Then I saw "You like 'em big, you like 'em chunky". Both were on episodes of Colbert and Daily Show via On Demand....not sure but I think I did see the Cougar Life one on a regular episode (7PM-ish rerun, not the 11/1130 first run slot)

Nothing wrong with sites that celebrate women of all ages and shapes. I always favor a broad definition of beauty. But I need earplugs to keep these from getting trapped. Apparently the latter one is a play off a Will.I.Am song.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Some rum called Sailor Jerry uses The Misfit's "Where Eagles Dare. I can honestly say I never thought I'd hear that song in a commercial. The version I just saw on ESPN cut out the "I ain't no goddam son-of-a-bitch" part though.

Edited by LT, Sep 10, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 4:49 AM

The Prius song is eventually going to lull me into serial murder.

There is a Levi's commercial with a singer who sounds an awful lot like Ani DiFranco. Please tell me it's not.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

You and me both, mojoween. And I think it aired during every break during MNF...

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Is that the one that sounds a bit like that insipid song from the end of Juno? I know the commercial is for a car, but I'm not sure which one. At any rate, I cannot stand it; it's like reliving the Hyundai Pomplamoose nightmare.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Oh good lord. I heard the Prius song for the first time today. Several times. I hate it so much.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The animation in the commercial is really cute though.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not the intended effect of "Let Your Love Flow."

nothinggoodon

nothinggoodon

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Forget murder, I'm buying a Hummer.

Mopatop

Mopatop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I hate the song in the new Pantene commercials. Eva Mendez and Zooey Deschanel talk about how Pantene "dared them" (I guys by dared they mean "paid") to try some product or other. The song is like "oh oh oh oh oh, I dare you to dare me." Even though it makes me sick it gets stuck in my head all the time.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Can someone please tell me the piece that is used in the Jameson whiskey commercial?

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Can someone please tell me the piece that is used in the Jameson whiskey commercial?

Is that the same one with "The Hawk?" If so, it's Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre and it's one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

nothinggoodon

nothinggoodon

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Pistachio ad. Village People. The lyrics go "It's fun to open it, C-R-A-C-K" Airing during Sunday Night Football. Words do not exist. Not Making This Up.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Thanks for posting that link, nothinggoodon. I had muted some annoying commercial before that, and only saw the dancing without hearing it or really knowing what it was for. It's interesting, for sure...

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Stella Artois has been running an ad featuring mock vintage coverage of a World's Fair. It features a retro big band jazz score that's so catchy I spent entirely too much time during the workday tracking it down. I was really hoping to find some new band, but it was created just for the ad. I was sad.

(OK, that was weird. Just after I started typing, the ad for Jameson's that was mentioned at the top of the thread started running.)

javalake

javalake

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

To whoever is mangling the Footloose song: Get your filthy paws off my song!

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I just heard a Guinness ad that actually has a singer saying "once you go black you never go back." I mean I know the beer is Guinness Black but really?

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I just heard a Guinness ad that actually has a singer saying "once you go black you never go back." I mean I know the beer is Guinness Black but really?

I heard that, too, and it had me laughing.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Whenever I see the commercials for Walgreens lately that use the opening strains of CCR's "Down On the Corner" I think "How dare they use that song for a chain pharmacy!" But then I always feel my foot tapping along to the beat. Sigh. I have traitor appendages.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Does anyone know about the lounge-y, bossa nova-y music behind the Yellowtail Wine spots? I love that style of music.

Surprised i found the answer: if anyone else likes it, the Artist is A Man Called Adam and that is a single called "Yachts."

Edited by Actionmage, Oct 20, 2012 @ 4:02 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I have a question for the sharp-eared posters out there: Is the tuba soloist in the Verizon mobile hot spot commercial playing 'Axel F'?

Edited by AimingforYoko, Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Is the tuba soloist in the Verizon mobile hot spot commercial playing 'Axel F'?

Yes, he is.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves humming along to the annoying "Prius for Everyone" commercial? You think you have traitor appendages? I've got traitor vocal chords lol

Edited by 00redsvt, Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Me too! I can't even stop myself. It shames me.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Ugh, I just heard a new K-Mart ad that, after two hearings, has me thinking stabby thoughts. It has a really annoying jingle that's all, "lights, lights, lights that light the lights", I want to scream.

edited because it's K-Mart, not Old Navy

Edited by corvus13, Nov 2, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.