The Music and Jingles of Commercials

• Please log in to reply

1778 replies to this topic

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:00 AM

BostonsKrissy, I think you are talking about the song "Step Into The Sun" by Solid State Revival. You can listen to the song here. Is that what you were looking for?
I think that song is used in those VERBNOW! commercials. I think I saw it on ABC Family or the WB.

Edited by makelikeatree, Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:11 AM.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:10 AM

A little piece of me dies every time I hear a Beatles song in a commercial.

Yeah, you can thank Michael Jackson for that (well, at least he can give permission to use the words and music but not the actual recordings). But, he might have to give it up soon due to financial troubles and then Sony will own the whole catalogue, I think (?), which probably means more Beatles in commercials. Grumble.

blodwedd

blodwedd

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 8:28 AM

Speaking of Punky Chips Ahoy - I can't stand that commercial because it makes me feel really old. And it seems like such a mockery of everything punk once stood for. And you just know anyone who thinks it's "cute" was never a real punk, hated real punks, and/or enjoyed beating up punks just because of how they looked. Plus, the damn song sticks in my head every time I see it.

Okay, I originally came here just to say that every time I read the title of this thread I start singing the "jingle, jangle, jingle, I am ol' Kris Kringle" song from Rudolph. I wonder how many this will happen before my unconscious gets tired of it.

etain

etain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 12:10 PM

- The point of the song was to parody the materialsim that the commercial would then imply! Ditto with the "If I Had A Million Dollars" being used for state lotteries.

Okay, that didn't bother me so much when New York State did it, because they had all sorts of regular-folks people singing along and acting all silly, and that was kind of cute. Especially when they had a shot of a dog howling along.

However, I will never accept Peter Gabriel's music being used for ads. (I've just heard Solsbury Hill in something recently, and 1-800-Collect used to use Come Talk To Me. ARG.)

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 12:13 PM

It's embarrassing, but I just love the song in the Trojan condom ads. Embarrassing not so much because I'm bopping to a condom ad as because the guitar riff is so shamelessly derivative of U2.

Bb

Bb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:27 PM

Just this weekend I had the old 70's or 80's Fritos ad in my head- a rip off of a real song of course- Crunchamuncha crunchamuncha Fritos corn chips go with lunch (crunch!)...over and over again.

JuliJBG

JuliJBG

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:40 AM

My worst jingle that will be stuck in my head 3 weeks after hearing it once is: 1-800-588-2300 Empiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!. I cannot reach for the mute fast enough, and even if I do, it doesn't work. Just the sight of that guy has me humming it over and over until my brain starts to bleed...

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:45 AM

The one that gets in my head all the time is the Daisy sour cream jingle.

Spud14

Spud14

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

Does anybody in Minnesota have the National American University jingle on a constant loop in your subconscious?

One day, one night, Saturday's alright...

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 12:49 PM

"It looks so natural, no one can tell. Just for Men gel. No one can tell with Just for Men gel." I start singing this whenever someone with an obvious wig or dye job comes on the TV. It amuses me.

I'm somewhat saddened by the number of ads using Postal Service music (none of them USPS ads--I'd understand that, as I thought part of USPS allowing The Postal Service to call themselves that was that their music be used in USPS ads), because I really like the band but don't want to see the music connected with Kaiser Permanente or whatever.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

My worst jingle that will be stuck in my head 3 weeks after hearing it once is: 1-800-588-2300 Empiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!. I cannot reach for the mute fast enough, and even if I do, it doesn't work. Just the sight of that guy has me humming it over and over until my brain starts to bleed...

Next time it gets stuck in your head, change EMpire to VAMpire. Works for me.

I just heard "Daydream Believer" by the Monkees which is being used by an eBay commercial. I don't get the relevance.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:52 PM

My worst jingle that will be stuck in my head 3 weeks after hearing it once is: 1-800-588-2300 Empiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!.

Oh, sweetie, that one's been stuck in my head since the 70's when I used to visit my grandmother in Chicago twice a year. Who knew I'd grow up and it would go national. I'll have to try the VAMpire thing.

One that didn't go national (yet) that has stuck with me from those days, as well, is for a plumbing company (I think): HUDson-3-2- seven-HUNdred.

L Mo

L Mo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:09 PM

this question is for my fellow Canadians. Does anyone know the name (and artist) of the song on the newest Kia commercial? The lyrics go "make a wish, go ahead, I'm just really happy you're for real". Its driving me crazy! please help!!

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 1:23 AM

I just heard "Daydream Believer" by the Monkees which is being used by an eBay commercial. I don't get the relevance.

They're keying off the "Oh, what can it mean" line in reference to that IT doohickey they're using to represent stuff.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 9:42 AM

Oh, man. Did not get that. Off to the Slow on the Uptake thread!

etain

etain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

This may be quasi-local, but an ad I've seen for a gas and electric supply company here in New York always ends with a chirpy female voice singing the company's phone number, and their slogan.

However, their slogan is "I've got gas."

This has always struck me as unfortunate.

ConnieVandelay

ConnieVandelay

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 8:26 PM

However, I will never accept Peter Gabriel's music being used for ads. (I've just heard Solsbury Hill in something recently, and 1-800-Collect used to use Come Talk To Me. ARG.)

I have some Mystery Science Theater 3000 tapes from 1994, and that ad is in every single commercial break. I think the song was used for the debut of 1-800-Collect.

I am so tired of hearing the Blondie song "One Way Or Another" used in commercials. This has been a trend for about 2 years now and its just annoying. Currently Swiffer is using it.

The Pez

The Pez

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 12:33 AM

I was always confused and amused by that birth control pill (or tampon, not sure) commercial with the song, "There She Goes" by the La's. 1) The song is about drugs ("there she blows, there she blows again, pulsing thru' my vein") 2) Even if it was a love song (which is sounds like on the surface) - what does it have to do with birth control? "There she goes, there she goes again...not having babies?" If the companies just like the sweet tune of a song why play the lyrics?

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:04 AM

MisterIdol from page 1 asked about the song in the TAB energy drink commercial. I think that song is called "Cobrastyle" by Teddybears STHLM. I believe that song has been used in a beer commercial, too.

ETA: You are welcome, BostonsKrissy!

Edited by makelikeatree, Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:06 AM.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 11:50 AM

KFC using "Sweet Home Alabama"? WTF kind of sense does that make?! It's not AFC, it's KFC.

Even funnier, KFC is a Utah-based company. I had a massage office under their marketing office a couple of years ago. (Thankfully, it didn't smell like chicken.)

Actinolite

Actinolite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 12:12 PM

I was always confused and amused by that birth control pill (or tampon, not sure) commercial with the song, "There She Goes" by the La's. 1) The song is about drugs ("there she blows, there she blows again, pulsing thru' my vein") 2) Even if it was a love song (which is sounds like on the surface) - what does it have to do with birth control? "There she goes, there she goes again...not having babies?" If the companies just like the sweet tune of a song why play the lyrics?

Yeah, that one bugs me too. Although 1) I guess...birth control pills are drugs; and 2) they did a great parody of this one on SNL with (I think) Amy Poehler. She had a thing for having sex with random strangers. It was pretty funny.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 12:55 PM

They're keying off the "Oh, what can it mean" line in reference to that IT doohickey they're using to represent stuff.

Oh, okay. No, not really. I mean, if you bid on it and paid for it, you know what it means, right? So the song still doesn't go. With that logic, eBay could have used any song with 'it' in the lyrics. Like Devo's Whip It. That'd be cool.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:02 PM

Whenever I look up from the computer at home and notice that it's time (or past time) for me to leave for work, I leap up, put on my coat and am compelled (compelled, I tell ya!) to sing that charming little incontinence ditty, "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go right now!"
Fortunately, the only one around to hear it is my cat..and he doesn't care.

overtherainbow5

overtherainbow5

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:32 PM

I'm not sure if this is a local commercial or not, but Giant Glass has THE most addictive jingle ever.

Who do you call when your windshield's busted?
Call Giant Glass!
1-800-64GIANT
Done right done fast
Wherever you are,
Just call number 1
800-64GIANT

And guess what I'm gonna have in my head all day?

acatmaylook

acatmaylook

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:38 PM

If "our good times start and end, with a $1.01 to spend" you won't get much on EBay.

"But how much, baby, do we really need?"

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:43 PM

I actually like the use of old songs in new contexts in commercials (granted, I'm probably using a longer-term reference point for "old"). It keeps some of the classics alive in the popular ear, when so much seems gone and ignored now. Plus, one such use means a windfall to the Gershwin/Porter/Weill/whatever estate (for whom I occasionally work). Examples (and I suppose it's telling that I mostly can't remember the product, just the song, but still):

- Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue (United Airlines?)
- Delibes, soprano/mezzo duet from Lakme (some airline?)
- Sondheim, "Putting It Together" from Sunday in the Park with George
- Romberg, "Drinking Song" ("Drink! Drink! Drink!") from The Student Prince
- Vernon Duke, "I Like the Likes of You"
- Strouse & Adams, "You've Got Possibilities" from It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's Superman (Pillsbury -- and actually it sounds like they're using the 1966 original-cast recording, in which Linda Lavin is the singer)
- Weill, "Mack the Knife" from The Threepenny Opera (McDonald's, as "Mac Tonight")

And of course the whole series of "singing eBay" commercials, which I'm sorry to see end. The fun was both in recognizing the song under the parody lyrics, and trying to recognize the singer, many of them successful stage performers. I recall the versions of "I Did It My Way" (Danny Rutigliano), "Do You Know the Way To San Jose" (Jessica Molaskey), and "That's Amore" (Christian Borle, now the Eminent Historian in Spamalot).

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 2:02 PM

So, a Utah-based company called Kentucky Fried Chicken, using "Sweet Home Alabama" in their ads?

They must advertise during "Lost".

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 3:25 PM

I leap up, put on my coat and am compelled (compelled, I tell ya!) to sing that charming little incontinence ditty, "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go right now!"

Oh. I do that when ... you know, when I gotta go.

stellargirl

stellargirl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 9:54 PM

Does anyone remeber when McDonald's had that rap where they said all the items on their menu.
"Big Mac, McBLt, a quarter pounder with some cheese...."

Not really but I remember, "Big Mac, Filet-a-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes, and Apple Pies." (this is before they even had nuggets!)

Back in CA, I would sing a jingle to my son that goes, "866-66 FASTER! You've got the green light!" (then I added yeah! LOL)

Well, I moved to RI over a year ago, and guess what? They have it here too! Is it all over the place? BTW, I now sing it to my 1 year old here! LOL

writeyouletters

writeyouletters

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 11:14 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the (to me) completely incongruous pairing of "Such Great Heights" and M&M. I just can't see any kind of link between the two. It's jarring every time I see it and it makes me hate both the song and the candy. Except the peanut butter kind...mmmmandmmmm, indeed. Perhaps it doesn't fit the 'great song' category. *shrug*