Castmembers in Other Roles: Uncharted Territories

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

433 replies to this topic

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:58 AM

So as we all know, Ben and Claudia have become castmembers of Stargate SG1.

I just have to say, I vehemently disagree with the people who are saying that Ben Browder is playing the same character on Stargate SG1 as he did on Farscape. About all they have in common is the fact that both are pilots (and for Crichton, piloting was secondary to other skills) and have contact with aliens.

Cameron Mitchell is first and foremost a soldier, and is actually a pretty laid back guy. In fact, he's sometimes almost too laidback, as he's not always interesting to me. John Crichton? Scientist first and foremost, and a big, giant SPAZZ and occaisional drama queen. I don't know. Maybe the differences are too 'subtle' for anyone to see. (snork)

I've heard that "the reason people say that is because Ben Browder will always be Ben Browder. That there's so much of him in his parts that it's easy for people to see them as the same. The character details that make them quite different are background noise when compared to the presentation of "IT'S BEN BROWDER!" that he puts forward. (quote from pseudopagan at LJ)

I disagree.

I do think the IBB!F (It's Ben Browder! Factor) may have influenced early estimations of the character, but after a time I was able to settle into accepting him as Mitchell. But as such, I immediately was established with the understanding that Cam isn't John and John isn't Cam, purely from the nuances of performance, especially in terms of line delivery.

The dynamic of how he works with Claudia in the context of scenes on Stargate fascinates me as well. Their connection is to intense and immediate even when they have her character paired off with Daniel. They have one particular exchange in 'Crusade' where for a minute the intensity (though NOT the characterization) of John and Aeryn was in the moment for me.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:04 PM

HA! Funny that two people came up with this and started on the same topic.

This was my take:

Browder and Black are currently working on Stargate:SG-1.

Which of these statements most applies to you?
A.) Ugh! I love Stargate and RDA is the man and alway will be!!
B.) Ugh! I love Farscape and can't believe two amazing actors are on this....show.
C.) This is the real world and in the real world actors need to work.

Discuss.

Glark, please delete the other one.

Edited by Selannia, Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:05 PM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:10 PM

I reported the other one to the Forum Traffic Court. Also, I choose C. I love the actors. Hopefully, the show will rise a little more to the occasion.

If it means anything, I saw Gigi Edgely last week at a con. She's stateside now, and hopefully soon will show up more on American screens. She seems to have had a pretty good career in Australia - I hope for more of the same here.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:19 PM

I choose C as well, although there's a hearty helping of B on the side. I tried to watch "Stargate" again after BB and CB joined the cast, but I find it so frelling boring. Not even the chance to see them working together can induce me to watch it.

That being said, I'm happy that they're getting work. It's a tough business, and you've gotta work when you have the opportunity. I'd love to see Gigi in something stateside, definitely. Does anyone know if Virginia Hey has any projects in the works? IMDb doesn't show anything.

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:22 PM

Browder and Black are currently working on Stargate:SG-1.

Which of these statements most applies to you?
A.) Ugh! I love Stargate and RDA is the man and alway will be!!
B.) Ugh! I love Farscape and can't believe two amazing actors are on this....show.
C.) This is the real world and in the real world actors need to work.

I pick option C.

I'll be the first to admit I experienced some dissonance. I settled into Claudia as Vala more easily then I did John as Cam, but I think that might be because of how the casting worked. Claudia started off as a "special guest star" so she was brought in sort of like a treat, and you could ease the idea of her into the show. But Cam was a new permanent cast character, which meant you had to wrap your brain around him for the long haul. PLUS, adding in how the chemistry between those two actors just snaps in place so naturally and how the SG creative team would have to cope with that makes it a bit initially off-putting.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:25 PM

Thanks, cutecouple.

I choose "C". Work's work. Mortgages must be paid, children fed, good will with casting directors and producers need to be maintained and faces need to be seen to be remembered for future parts.

And I started a topic for Cast and Crew in real life called Cast/Crew in Real Life. I crazy creative like that.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:25 PM

Claudia has decent chemistry with Michael Shanks though.

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:36 PM

Decent, yes. I'd even call it cute. But it's not the near to scary chemistry that Claudia and Ben have, which the creative forces of the Stargate productions have been very smart to try and minimize.

However, this edges into some thoughts that go better in the RL thread, and I may bring them up over there.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

D: I enjoy Claudia as Vala when I can stand to watch the show long enough to get to her scenes, but in a general sense even she can't overcome the pit of suck that is SG1.

Browder's character is so underwritten (from what I've seen) I usually forget he's even on the show. I find the original cast to be unutterably boring, so...I'm glad Ben and Claudia have work, I just wish it was elsewhere.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:54 PM

True. It think that's a combo of good acting (on both parts) and the fact that Shanks really seems to be having fun these days.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 4:49 PM

I always see Stargate as The Show they cancelled Farscape for. Plus I'm never home Fridays anyways, so I rarely see it. When I do, I get into my "Farscape cancellation rant" and Ben and Claudia are just salt in the wound. But hey, they have to eat too. So, C.

BigBeagle

BigBeagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:22 PM

I'll go with option D ... I enjoy both shows and I'm glad BB and CB are gainfully employed. I'm a scifi fan and I'll take my fix where I can get it. SG-1 wasn't responsible for Farscape's cancellation, except maybe veerrrrry indirectly. I blame Bonnie Hammer and the suits at Skiffy.

As for Ben and Claudia on the show ... they are both different characters from their Farscape days. There may be some subtle similarities between John Crichton and Cam Mitchell, but they're only subtle ones. As for Vala and Aeryn Sun? Sheesh, they're as different as night and day.

Edited by BigBeagle, Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:23 PM.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:58 PM

I choose C as well, although there's a hearty helping of B on the side.

AnnieF, I believe we ordered the same dish. :)

As long as Ben and Claudia are happy and getting exposure, I can live with it. The problem, really, is the writers. If that improves then it might be less of an ordeal.

katscar

katscar

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:49 AM

I choose B.

I always see Stargate as The Show they cancelled Farscape for.

I see it that exact same way and don't watch the show for that reason, and because I find it boring. I absolutely agree with C as well, though. Gotta work and pay those bills.

RiverThames

RiverThames

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

Of course, I think Claudia could do a scene with an actual granite statue, and we'd think, "Damn, she and that statue are hot together."

FourGOM

FourGOM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:37 AM

I think RiverThames has hit on a lost opportunity from Look at the Princess. CB did an amazing job in TWWW, as evidence for her talent for empathizing with inanimate objects.

officersun524

officersun524

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:12 AM

Of course, I think Claudia could do a scene with an actual granite statue, and we'd think, "Damn, she and that statue are hot together."

People have always said they'd listen to Claudia read the phone book. Well, with "Crusade" she's proven that she can keep my attention by essentially telling a story, so, yeah, I'd say she and that statue would be hot together ;)

Are you comparing Shanks to granite ;)?

As for choices, I go with C as well. Mortgages, kids...we all do stuff we'd rather not do. But Ben and Claudia both manage to look and sound like they're having a jolly good time of it.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:53 PM

I totally don't get Stargate at all, but I have been turning it on every Saturday in the vain hope of seeing Claudia in it. Finally, after three months, my persistance paid off and I see the first Vala ep last night. My first thought was 'damn, she looks good' and my second thought was 'I would sell my soul to have hair like that.' My third thought was 'You know, I still don't particularly like Stargate, so now that my curiosity has been satisfied, I can stop watching.'

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

The premise of Stargate is a good one. But the execution feels very 1950's Buck Rogers movie serial, if you get my drift.

There is amazing potential for depth of story (usually unrealized) and many people love the current structure. I watched all the previous seasons after I learned Browder was joining the cast and I can say that the first seasons (the Showtime ones) had a different feel to them (there's some business about one of the original producers being ousted or quitting around season three and that changed the tone, but I don't know that whole dillio).

There are interesting episodes in every season with an interesting story or something that allows the actors to really get into some emotion. I like the arc shows the best but the show is set up for stand alone episodes so they're not in the majority. Usually, one of the shows written or directed by a cast member is pretty darn good.

I feel like Stargate is put together using a Mad Libs template. The team goes to plant (insert alpha-numeric gook) and learns that (pick an allied group or innocent indiginous people) are in trouble. The trouble involves (technobabble or season big bad - bonus points for big bad using technobabble) and the team uses their predetermined strengths to figure out the ramifications of the problem: O'Neill uses sarcasm, Carter uses technobabble, Daniel reads something, T'ealc shoots something. The team encounters resistance from (powerful locals, government flunkies or the big bad). One of the team discovers the key to the problem and a solution. Another member of the team reveals why that solution won't work. O'Neill makes a decision based on (a gut instinct, information the audience hasn't seen yet, his unspoken love for Sam, his unspoken love for Daniel) and the immediate problem is solved. This problem will not be seen or talked about again until (it makes a convient out in a later episode or the season finale.) Add final hero shot and O'Neill snarky comment and you have 85% of Stargate episodes.

One of the reasons I love Claudia playing Vala is she FINALLY adds a different ingredient to the mix. Now they've made her all sympathetic to a guy and pregnant. Great. Let's dull that edge. The only way the pregnancy thing works for me is that in my mind, she's carrying Daniel's baby and when the war is over and she leaves to go be a mercenary again the baby will be raised by Daniel and O'Neill.

Which brings up another point - if you're inclined to the HoYay, Stargate is a good vehicle for you to write your own in-between scenes and dialog for your chosen pair thereby making it more patatible. I watch SG:Atlanitis just for the love between Rodney MacKay and John Shepard. They're always going on about trust issues and bravery and "you expect too much from me" and generally bickering. But Shepard will always save his boy MacKay. Because he loves his little geek.

Edited by Selannia, Mar 14, 2006 @ 9:49 AM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 4:25 AM

I'm a little worried about admitting this, but I like Stargate MORE than Farscape. I'm not knocking Farscape, it just isn't really my thing. I think I like my sci fi a little more shallow and slightly cheesy.

Selannia, your mad libs is completely accurate, and completely hilarious. The only thing you missed was (Daniel touches something and everything goes haywire. Again.)

Anyway, I like Stargate, I like Ben and Claudia, I like Ben and Claudia ON Stargate. There's just one point I've been wondering about. What was Claudia doing in Canada in the first place? It's a long way from Australia.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

I mock the Startgate, but I still watch it if a good repeat is on. Especially if it's an early episode when Daniel had the long hair. He's the only character that has changed much since the early episodes. He goes from being Daniel the Doofy Archeologist Guy to Ass-Kicking Archeologist with Gun.

This topic is going to be very Browder-centric because we in the states haven't seen much of the television work from Simcoe or Gigi. Or Pygram. Browder's been the good bit in some stinky movies (A Killer Within, I'm looking at you). But what about the others?

Anyone have any input about the other work of the rest of the cast?

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 12:21 PM

How many people are also aware that BB has also played Lee Majors (alongside Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Galactica as Farrah Fawcett, no less!) in a tv movie about the making of Charlie's Angels?

Ben in sideburns is an utter trip.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

Anyone have any input about the other work of the rest of the cast?

Kind of but not really.

What helped get me into FS in the first place was how much of the cast I already knew from watching shows lensed in Aus, especially the Lost World.

Gigi was memorable in her LW episode about a giant man-eating plant run amok.

Lani Tupu (Crais, Pilot) made several appearances in LW from the pilot episode as a guide, and the one about a giant where he plays the 'genie' role.

The evil aide in FS "Dream a Little Dream," played a crazy, zombie-queen in LW.

That's all I got cause there is a lot of latex in both shows and I prolly wouldn't recognize anyone if they were sitting on my nose. Sorry those are not current roles but they were enjoyable past ones. I like that the shows shot in Aus use a lot of local actors.

Edited by jfdb, Mar 20, 2006 @ 7:54 PM.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:53 AM

Wasn't Claudia in something called Water Rats? IMDB.com says she was in an episode, but I thought she was a regular.

And Virginia was in All Saints. Anyone ever seen this?

Is there an equivilent to Amazon in Australia?

Edited by Selannia, Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:21 AM.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:05 PM

And Virginia was in All Saints. Anyone ever seen this?

Yes, but it went on for years, I believe, and I only saw the first season or so, so I never saw Virginia Hey in it.

I did see her in that prison show, though. The one that went on for years and years and years and became cult among a lot of my friends as it was on every night at one or two. I didnt' follow it myself, but I did catch a few eps on sleepless nights, and was lucky enough to see a few of the eps when VH was guesting on it.

Edited by Kanel, Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:08 PM.

RaeleeBlue

RaeleeBlue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 10:59 PM

Wasn't Claudia in something called Water Rats? IMDB.com says she was in an episode, but I thought she was a regular.

Quite a few of the cast members guest-starred in Water Rats. Raelee Hill, however, was the one who was a regular. There's actually a whole slew of Australian or Australian-produced shows that several of the cast members of shown up in.

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:48 PM

Heh. "Queen of the Damned" is on skiffy right now. I've only caught the last hour of it, so unless she had something more to do during the beginning, I feel bad for Claudia Black! Nothin' to do but stand around sportin' vampire teeth in this one.

I have caught a few glimpses of her as Vala on "SG-1", and it's quite a switch from Aeryn. (Of course, I'm only on season 1 of the 'Scape, so it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about.)

How many people are also aware that BB has also played Lee Majors (alongside Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Galactica as Farrah Fawcett, no less!) in a tv movie about the making of Charlie's Angels?

Ben in sideburns is an utter trip.

*lol* I've seen a clip of that. Priceless.

Edited by drgnfille, Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:50 PM.

vayacon

vayacon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 11:20 AM

a tv movie about the making of Charlie's Angels

I would so love to see that, I wish they'd put it out on DVD. If people are looking to buy Australian DVDs http://www.ezydvd.com.au/ has a pretty good range. Though a lot of the stuff the main Australian cast have done on TV isn't that interesting. Claudia Karvan, who was the Praying Mantis-looking babe in the LGM trilogy just did a surprisingly good series though, Love My Way.

She was also in an older series, Secret Life of Us, that Gigi guested on. I was shocked when I figured out which one she was - she is much sexier grey.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 12:38 PM

a tv movie about the making of Charlie's Angels

It was so cute on the Inside Sci-Fi special last July when Tricia Helfer visited the Stargate set to say hello to Ben.

Kanel

Kanel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 2:56 PM

Raelee Hill, however, was the one who was a regular.

Whoa. She was? So long ago, I have no idea anymore.