Commercials We Love

• Please log in to reply

3822 replies to this topic

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

I'll have to look for that simply for Martin Landau.

Here you go, peeayabee--

http://www.ispot.tv/...g-martin-landau

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

Thanks to both BooksRule and riley702 for the links.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

This is the best. An awesome commercial with Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto.

But is anyone else disturbed by the fact that Quinto's living in some mansion on the hill while Nimoy leaves a tract home in the 'burbs???  There's no financial justice in the world, I guess.  

I love the Fiat ads.  Even though they  have Pitbull, who creeps me out, and they seem to be selling the stereo in the car, not the car itself.  Maybe it's the herd of them moving around like colorful ants, maybe it's the warnings not to try this yourself when they fly off cliffs, maybe it's laughing to myself thinking of my Italian friend's outrage.  "They're shit, shit, shit, shit cars!"  

ellyd

ellyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

I kind of thought it was to show the difference between the new, high tech features on the fancy car as opposed to Leonard's older car with the manual opening, smaller trunk, etc.  I don't think it was meant to show a financial difference.  It's a riot! 

Go Bilbo!

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

I've been seeing this commercial for Suburu a lot during the Tour de France about this man who gets a painter's easel from his wife for his birthday.  The look on his face was priceless then off they go traveling to places to he can paint.  One of the places he goes looks like Muir Woods in Northern CA and he's looking straight up at the tall trees (I've done that).  The ending is funny when the wife picks out her favorite, a painting of the trees from the prior scene and the man says  'it's upside down' and she corrects it.  I just love the delivery.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Me too.  Is it also Subaru that has the commercial with the "We should do that" couple, who wind up in a hot spring with some weird naked guy?  "We should not have done that."  I like that one, too.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

Yes it is. Apparently if you drive a Subaru you get to go to a lot of fun places. I like that commercial too.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

If you buy a Subaru either you get to go to a lot of fun places or your dogs take the car out a lot when you're not looking.

Dog tested. Dog approved.

Love it

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

The ending is funny when the wife picks out her favorite, a painting of the trees from the prior scene and the man says  'it's upside down' and she corrects it.  I just love the delivery.

See, that's the part of that commercial I hate. He's so fucking snotty to his wonderful wife about his craptastic "masterpieces".

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

Even though I hate the new Trek and think Quinto is one of the worst things about it, that commercial is pretty good.  I like that Nimoy is a quintessential crazy old coot, and that he's quietly singing along to the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Generally speaking, I enjoy Flo and her Progressive commercials, but I'm really digging the new one where the Progressive reps are singing "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

That ad confuses me, though, because I've had Progressive Insurance for years, and they've never said anything to me about any kind of special program for long-term customers.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

Generally speaking, I enjoy Flo and her Progressive commercials, but I'm really digging the new one where the Progressive reps are singing "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders.

I guess I don't pay much attention to the Progressive commercials anymore, so I don't remember seeing this one. However, it makes me think of the case a year or so ago where a man wrote about --- let me see if I can remember this right --- his girlfriend or wife, maybe sister, having been killed driving in an intersection, and although she was not at fault, Progressive wasn't paying and even sent one of their own attorneys to represent THE OTHER SIDE! I'll have to look up the info when I get a chance.

Anyway, I wonder if that "I'll stand by you" ad is a response to that case.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:04 AM

That ad confuses me, though, because I've had Progressive Insurance for years, and they've never said anything to me about any kind of special program for long-term customers.

We have been customers for years too, and we have several perks I guess. Large and small accident forgiveness for one. I'd have to get the policy out and look for the other ones. But they do give you some perks.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

It bums me out that they're using a song I like.  I don't want to associate it with car insurance.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Ooh, I love that Subaru easel commercial, too.  I like that the husband is the one with the creative interests and he's not some Neanderthal like most men in commercials.  His wife is sweet and supportive.  I didn't think his "It's upside down" comment was snobby.  He didn't seem too put off by her mistake, just kindly correcting her.

I love watching him get walloped by that wave, too.  Hilarious!

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

I've only seen that commercial once, but I was a little confused by it, because I thought the lady at the end of the commercial wasn't the same lady at the beginning of the commercial.  It makes more sense now that I know it's the same lady all along!

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

I love watching him get walloped by that wave, too.  Hilarious!

Yes! Right before his wife yells 'the tide is coming in'!

Edited by CobbSalad, Jul 5, 2013 @ 6:24 PM.

Wolverinesyr

Wolverinesyr

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

I've been seeing this commercial for Suburu a lot during the Tour de France about this man who gets a painter's easel from his wife for his birthday.

I love how excited he is, and how inspired he is - how is wife is so supportive and excited too, and in the end, we find that his paintings are so horribly crappy.  And they still love them.

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

CobbSalad

CobbSalad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

I think the excitement of getting the easel as a present and the crappiness of the paintings are related like he was unable to paint before because he never had an easel.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

I like how at the end he's all sunburned and his face is cut up but he's happy. And I remember that it's a Subaru that got him to all of those places, which isn't always the case even with commercials I like. 

Edited by Mystery, Jul 14, 2013 @ 2:18 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I love that Subaru right up to the end, until he gets all smug and douchey with his awesome wife/girlfriend/whatever.

I feel like I should hate the "F'n Easy" Fresh and Easy commercial, but I can't help but love it. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ce7fAybk1Xg

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

There's another Subaru ad where the couple keeps saying "we should do that" and doing new things -- catching a Falcon, eating bugs from a food truck. The last thing is soaking in a hot spring with a couple of hippie looking guys. At the end while driving away the wife says, "We shouldn't have done that." The way she says it and how quickly he agrees cracks me up every time.

Subaru has a good ad agency.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

Love is too strong of a word, but I really like the new car commercial that plays a slow version of David Bowie's 'Let's Dance' while showing the car being driven through a city (NY?) at night.  I like that brief slow version of the song (and I don't really care for the original that much except for the 'serious moonlight' part) and the black car reflecting the city lights is really eye-catching and elegant.  The only drawback is that I can't remember exactly what car the commercial is advertising (Lincoln? Lexus?), which means that they weren't as successful as they thought (but I do make a point to look at the screen and to not zoom through that commercial when I see it, so I guess they'll get their point across to me sooner or later).

Edited by BooksRule, Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:48 AM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

BooksRule:

That commercial is for the Kia Cadenza.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

The only drawback is that I can't remember exactly what car the commercial is advertising (Lincoln? Lexus?), which means that they weren't as successful as they thought

Personally, I was distracted by the leggy brunette driving the car.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

That commercial is for the Kia Cadenza.

Thanks!  I never would have guessed Kia.

Another commercial that I've only seen once or twice but I love is the one for Friskies cat food where the cat is roaming through the house setting off all of the security lights looking for food.  I can totally see my cats doing that, but from the number of cat toys scattered around and the scrunched up rugs that I find every morning, my security lights would be on all night long.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qTQWZ4UD6hc

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I love the Kaufmans in the Swiffer commercials. Yeah, Morty doesn't help much (at least he does laundry!) but they are such a cute couple! I love when the Swiffer Wet Jet inspires them to dance in the kitchen.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

I love, absolutely love the priceless "Snuffy the Seal" Discovery Channel Shark Week promo.

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

In the same vein as the commercial with the motion detector lights, I really like the Friskies commerial with Happiness Runs in a Circular Motion.  Too bad the food is total crap, but I can still enjoy the ad.