Ratings, Scheduling, and the Future of Scrubs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

658 replies to this topic

DuncanIdaho

DuncanIdaho

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 6:19 AM

Good. End it.

Scrubs: The New Class = poop.

FilmBuff90

FilmBuff90

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

That doesn't mean cancelled it just means no new episodes for this year.

That's exactly what it means in the industry. Cancelled is cancelled. They're not going to suddenly order new episodes because they need the show to fill a future timeslot. They've got other potential new shows. The actors are free to find new work, and Cougar Town has Bill Lawrence's full attention. By your logic, I'd wish the same for "Pushing Daisies."

There's no Family Guy-type resurrection here. The ratings were far too low for ABC to want to order new episodes. 3.86 million viewers on a Tuesday evening for the first episode is an abomination, especially when other sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory are attaining higher numbers. And then the second episode only brought in 3.05 million viewers. ABC likely can't fathom putting more money into a sunk ship.

It's over.

Edited to add: My favorite TV critic, Alan Sepinwall, puts it better than I ever could, and reminds of something I had forgotten:

While I don't expect the show to be back next year, based on the awful ratings it and Ted are both getting, the lack of a back nine is meaningless. ABC was always going to order only 13 episodes of both Scrubs and Ted, as the only hole in their theoretical schedule was the Tuesday gap between Dancing with the Stars seasons. Even with Hank dead, they don't seem to view either show as a candidate for Wednesdays. No back nine was always the plan, in both success and failure.

Edited by FilmBuff90, Jan 7, 2010 @ 7:57 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

The show already had a series finale. We saw the cast & crew hugging each other in black & white backstage footage and a wrap-up of storylines decades into the future.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

Well you very well could be right, its a pity as it was doing well I thought. Oh well there are always reruns I guess.

cyclonebill

cyclonebill

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

FilmBuff90:

That's exactly what it means in the industry. Cancelled is cancelled.

While I don't argue that the show has very little to no chance of being renewed, I'm not sure why you think the lack of a back 9 order means the show is definitively canceled (and seem so oddly intent on hammering that point home).

FilmBuff90:

The actors are free to find new work

What is your source for this? If the series is renewed, the main cast would be contractually obligated to return unless they were recently released from their contracts. Unless you can back that up with a source, please stop presenting your uninformed opinion as fact.

You say the show is definitely canceled because a back 9 wasn't ordered and that's definitively the only conclusion, yet you then quote Alan Sepinwall who completely contradicts your point and says the show would not have had a season longer than 13 episodes even if it was a success (implying that the show could've been renewed for another season after 13 episodes this year, had it done well in the ratings).

Edited by cyclonebill, Jan 7, 2010 @ 9:51 PM.

remlap

remlap

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2010 @ 6:58 PM

An updated schedule from ABC is available Here

If all goes to plan and there are no more scheduling changes or conflicts Scrubs will end at 8pm EST on February 3rd 2010.

Edited by remlap, Jan 8, 2010 @ 9:25 PM.

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 4:03 PM

Scrubs has not been officially cancelled, there are articles now referring to it as "on the bubble"
http://www.hollywood...c06fa4317b780a0

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

*crosses fingers* I hope it gets renewed. If for nothing else, I want to see how Denise and Drew pan out.

ayerhead07

ayerhead07

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

I'm not particularly concerned with whether Scrubs gets a new season, but are we ever going to get the last two episodes of this season? According to IMDb they were supposed to air 1/27 and 2/3, but there's no mention of them on the ABC site. Anyone heard anything?

remlap

remlap

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

Bill Lawrence on his twitter account (@Vdoozer) tweeted March 10th and 17th but he deleted few days later.

remlap

remlap

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 2:48 PM

A new guide from ABC has been released and it confirmed what Bill Lawrence has previously said that Scrubs 912 "Our Driving Issues" will air March 10th at 8/7c.

[Source] (Warning PDF)

Yountfan

Yountfan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

Faison jumps from "Scrubs" to CBS

Found this tidbit via tvtattle.

(I'm sure the pilot is in second position to Scrubs, but the odds that Scrubs ver. 2.0 is coming back are long from what I can tell online)

Edited by Yountfan, Feb 18, 2010 @ 9:27 AM.

Worst Name Ever

Worst Name Ever

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 12:45 AM

I have LOVED Scrubs from Day 1...Here in Australia, we have just seen the 2nd episode of Scrubs 2.0...I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, but please tell me...Is it worth watching the rest of the season? I would rate the first 2 episodes as "Meh" at best, and from what I'm reading, it looks like it may be cancelled. Does it get better?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

It gets a little better, in my opinion. Whether it's worth watching, that's a personal decision....

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2010 @ 11:18 PM

New episode tonight. I don't know what it was called, so I can't start a thread. I don't see any others showing up in my listings, though-- isn't there at least one more? Does anyone know?

Edited by possibilities, Mar 10, 2010 @ 11:20 PM.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

TV Guide says a new episode this Wednesday (3/17), at 8:00 (ET/PT). The description says it's the "Season 9 finale". So take that for what it's worth (to me it means I can stop checking back all spring to see if there's another new episode).

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2010 @ 12:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Cleo256. Interestingly the shows that are coming on after it are all repeats. I probably would have missed it. Now, if we could get the final two Better Off Ted episodes.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 9:01 AM

I hope it returns. I really do. The new direction of the show has grown on me, and I've laughed out loud at the last few episodes. For me, the weak link is Lucy - I can't stand her.

SpringBarb

SpringBarb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

The Scrubs Facebook page refers to last night's episode as the series finale in multiple places.

mamie614

mamie614

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

From Zach's Facebook:
Many of you have asked, so here it is: it appears that "New Scrubs", "Scrubs 2.0", "Scrubs with new kids", "Scrubbier", "Scrubs without JD" is no more. It was worth a try, but alas... it didn't work. zb

michigander

michigander

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

Thank God! They NEVER should have done this. IMO it totally tainted the awesomeness that was the series finale back in May. I hope other shows learn from Scrubs stupid move and don't pull the same shit.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2010 @ 11:52 AM

Aw. I agree with michigander in that it tainted the memory of the May 2009 finale, but I was prepared to continue watching "Scrubbier" (hee). Ah well. RIP, Scrubs.

tonitonitone

tonitonitone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2010 @ 5:30 PM

From Zach's Facebook:
Many of you have asked, so here it is: it appears that "New Scrubs", "Scrubs 2.0", "Scrubs with new kids", "Scrubbier", "Scrubs without JD" is no more. It was worth a try, but alas... it didn't work. zb

Um. Maybe he should've read the forums (ANY forum, blog, discussion board ..), and he'll realize that some of the suckiest parts of Season 9 were those with JD in them ..

That being said, I'm still in denial. The show's coming back, I have a good feeling about it! Yes, I'm loyal that way. But I also honestly think Season 9 was mostly good (if not great), at least much better compared to what became of Seinfeld and Friends towards the end.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

When I first heard about season 9, I freaked out because it would ruin [what will always be to me] the series finale of season 8.

But it actually ended up being good, it took a few episodes, but eventually, I really did enjoy watching it. I like the characters and I want to see what's going to happen with them.

I wish they hadn't stuck it under Scrubs (because that finale really was fantastic), but made it a full-blown spin-off. It was still good. And I'm actually going to miss it.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

For me, the irony is that they made a big effort to keep Zach, but the show didn't become watchable until after he left.

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Overall, I like Cole, Drew and Denise more than the version of Braff's JD from Season 4 onward.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

Well, it's officially over.

Anabolina

Anabolina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

I just heard that there's going to be a Scrubs-themed game coming out for "all major smartphone platforms."

http://www.pocketgam...ews.asp?c=30903

Edited by Anabolina, Jun 30, 2011 @ 4:42 PM.

VanillaBear85

VanillaBear85

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

WGN has moved the show from an hour block starting at 11:30 pm to one episode at 1:30 am. I am mop.