You Watched It, You Can't Unwatch It: Horrifying Commercials

• Please log in to reply

4010 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

I've seen a ton of anti-smoking ads with stomas and hand-held voicebozes.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

They run an ad on YouTube with a guy with a stoma shaving, the caption says, "Don't cut your stoma". Creepy.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Quote: "Did anyone see that antismoking PSA with the former smoker who now not only wears a wig but also has a big hole in her throat and a raspy voice? I've never smoked before in my life, but it still scarred me for life."

Wait, are you talking about the woman named Suzy who was lying in bed and talking to the audience about how smoking has affected her life, and how she has to have people help her to get around the house? If so, that ad was disturbing. It believe it was advertising smoke free.org or something. The link is below.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ow5uw_iCm5A

Edited by crfstewarje, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:05 AM.

mooyoo

mooyoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Just saw this commercial for Woolite - "Torturer," in which a creepy, Leatherface-esque horror movie type villain tortures clothes, and I can't decide if it's totally creepy or totally hilarious and awesome. Maybe a bit of both, which would make sense, as the commercial was apparently directed by Rob Zombie.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

ew, that "Be Careful not to Cut Your Stoma" ad just showed up at the top of THIS page.

Edited by corvus13, Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:41 PM.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

@corvus13, use ad block plus. It allows you to visit sites without having to worry what disturbing or creepy ads might appear on a page.

Also, I was wondering; what is a stoma?

Edited by crfstewarje, Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:53 PM.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Also, I was wondering; what is a stoma?

The opening in the throat from a tracheotomy.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

@smittykins, well that's disturbing. Good thing I have ad block plus though so I don't see any of those ads. I actually heard though that they are showing some stoma commercials on TV though. O_o I'll have to be careful about that.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

What the fuck is up with the Demon Cat with orange eyes in the Meow Mix commercial? So now rather than sing a little jingle, the Meow Mix cat will apparently steal your soul to get a bowl of food.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Several times not too long ago on TV, I see some ad that features a white screen, and talks about fires, and that at the end, it shows a really creepy CGI face of Smokey the Bear. It is creepy as heck! I have seen it several times and it still creeps me out; the fact that there's no music in the ad (only silence), adds to it as well. Has anyone seen this?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:07 AM

What's with all the horror story anti-smoking ads? I saw one with a woman who because a paraplegic who makes her son cleanup after she poops herself and another about a guy who lost his legs. From smoking? Seriously? Shades of Reefer Madness!

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

I honestly just came here to say that those heinous anti-smoking ads need to stop right the fuck now.

How is it that you show ads promoting safe sex until after 9pm (and only on certain channels), but these ads can just play all the live long day? 11 am on nickelodeon, here some amputees for the children. WTF?

At least those medical shows on TLC and stuff come with some type of warning at the beginning. But these ones, I just have to set up on demand for my brother and BAM! There they are and I try to shut it off before he's scarred for life. (Those ones with the heart pumping did that already).

This isn't the 50's. Many if not most people over the age of 8 can tell you that smoking is bad for you. Every smoker I know can tell you it's bad for you. You're not scaring anyone into not smoking. They need to fucking relax with ads.

/Rant over

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

How is it that you show ads promoting safe sex until after 9pm (and only on certain channels), but these ads can just play all the live long day? 11 am on nickelodeon, here some amputees for the children. WTF?

Tobacco-free Florida runs these ridiculously graphic PSAs (Hi, beating heart in someone's chest cavity!) between 7 and 8 pm. I don't think their intent is for me to change the channel, but that's what happens every single time.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

The current batch of anti-smoking ads are horrific; I can't believe they are being run on Nick and during kids shows. I'm starting to wonder if they are geared towards former smokers instead of preventing future smokers. When I see one I immediately lose any cravings and remember why I quit. Then again, maybe it will make invincible teenagers think twice before trying a cigarette "just once" to see what all the fuss is about.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

I think the examples in such ads are too extreme, though. I can see an invincible teenager thinking, "What are the odds of that happening" and smoking anyway. They may appeal to the "well pretty much anything will give you cancer these days" people, though.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

The only smoking ad I have seen on TV so far is that one ubi mentions about the paralyzed woman who talks about needing help doing everything. They need to take that ad off the air; it's too disturbing, even for smoking ads.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

During the news this morning, I heard a report that National Jewish Hospital in Denver has had a huge increase in calls to their quitline. The Denver Post has an article here, saying that calls have doubled.

So maybe these awful ads are working. I still haven't seen one of them on TV, but the guy shaving his stoma has turned up on a couple of bus shelters all of a sudden.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

I think the examples in such ads are too extreme, though. I can see an invincible teenager thinking, "What are the odds of that happening" and smoking anyway. They may appeal to the "well pretty much anything will give you cancer these days" people, though.

I wonder how much relateable, average smoking side effects would get through to a teen? Like, show a middle-aged smoker with yellow teeth and wrinkles around the mouth. A woman with a Selma and Patty Bouvier voice. Someone hacking up a lung, but still lighting up. People shivering outside in the winter, desperate to smoke.

That one with the lady in bed though creeped me out too. My 6 yr old was all "what's wrong with her?"

keyboardplayer

keyboardplayer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Can someone please post a link to the stoma PSA? Thanks.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

keyboardplayer, this is the web one I keep on seeing: CDC Ad

I wonder how much relateable, average smoking side effects would get through to a teen? Like, show a middle-aged smoker with yellow teeth and wrinkles around the mouth.

There was one when I was growing up that was kind of similar to that, although they went to shock tactics by the end and it was anti-drug instead of anti-smoking. A model is set up in front of a camera, and as the PSA progresses, you see the toll that drugs had taken on her: her hair becomes lank, her makeup comes off and she's wrinkled and discolored, she winds up taking out her perfect teeth that are actually dentures from drug use. Effective and not particularly graphic.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Those are the ads I'm used to as well and I never had a problem with them. My issue is that if they have to be THAT graphic, how about a little warning. Especially for on demand/internet stuff. I don't think I'm asking for much there.

Re: Arnold Robinson: My local news has also said that in the past 2 years a lot of people have been trying to give up smoking because of the economy. A lot of people on my campus are giving it up because they just can't afford it anymore.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Damn. I thought people would give up smoking because it's a sure trip to a Coffin or Urn. I don't think those 'Anti Smoking' ads are graphic enough.

Edited by livinggreen, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:58 AM.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Re: Arnold Robinson: My local news has also said that in the past 2 years a lot of people have been trying to give up smoking because of the economy. A lot of people on my campus are giving it up because they just can't afford it anymore.

I'm not surprised. OSM Son works at a convenience store, and he's seen the cigarette sales going steadily down. Even the "cheap" ones are $5.50 a pack, and Marlboros are $7.75. But more young people (early 20's) are going in for those flavored cigars instead of cigs. Go figure.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

What the fuck is up with the Demon Cat with orange eyes in the Meow Mix commercial? So now rather than sing a little jingle, the Meow Mix cat will apparently steal your soul to get a bowl of food.

So they're taking the tack of being a real cat owner? Have they been in my house?!

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

I wonder if this new round of anti-smoking PSAs (which I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds disturbing) are the product of a bunch of grizzled old ad vets who are saying, "Kids today. Nothing shocks them anymore. Well, guess what, we're just gonna have to try harder."

And sadly, maybe they're right. But seriously, grizzled old ad vets, think about the collateral damage.

I'll give the CDC some credit...the website for this campaign includes some positive stories of people who gave up smoking without ending up with gaping holes in their necks. Looks like there are a couple spots about these "positive" stories too.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I'm just wondering how the CDC found these people for the ad campaign. Was there a want-ad placed in Variety asking for people who've been horribly disfigured from smoking?

Cher Z

Cher Z

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the Virgin Airlines commercials are icky.

Like the woman seeing the "stud" in the burrito - Gah, he's not hot, just makes my gaydar go off in a big way

Virgin Airlines - Guy in a Burrito

Or this "pick up" one, where the guy is intensely creepy in his "handsome" scenario. Seriously the 'before' guy with his fake hair, teeth and smile scream "RUN AWAY" to me. He looks more normal as a nerd.

Virgin Airlines Creepy Guy Pick Up

And I couldn't find a video for the creepiest one that has Richard Branson floating in one of the planes while an announcer states that "Richard Branson is here to service you. Every last one of you..." while he makes an attempt at a sexy face.

Ick. I do not want to think of Richard Bransoning servicing me, thank you every much.

Edited by Cher Z, May 3, 2012 @ 2:52 PM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Oh that "handsome" guy isn't remotely handsome.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

That guy in the burrito is creepy as ****.

crfstewarje

crfstewarje

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Today I was on a library computer, and guess what kind of ad I ran into? - "Be careful not to cut your stoma!" What is the point of those stoma ads anyway? Are they purposely meant to freak out the viewer? I was in a quiet library setting, but I shuddered out loud and said, "So gross!"