You Watched It, You Can't Unwatch It: Horrifying Commercials

• Please log in to reply

4010 replies to this topic

chunkyrice13

chunkyrice13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

Commercials are often the sort of things that scar one for life. Discuss.

The one I will never get out of my head is ironically for that anti-scar medicine, Medera. A child discusses a mysterious and inexplicable way to get a scar ("when my face got burned"), then explains that Medera made it better. After that, they reach up to their face and pull the sad face off to the side, revealing a happy face underneath. It's truly horrifying.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:13 AM

The toenail fungus commercial. Can I ever change the channel fast enough?

Edited by bettymojo, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:14 AM.

Actinolite

Actinolite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:24 AM

The toenail fungus commercial.

Does anyone know if the ad agency responsible for Digger the Dermatophyte (icky toenail fungus guy) is the same one that brought us the Mucinex phlegm family and the little migraine monster that attacks the woman's head while she's on vacation? There seems to be a similarity...

Please don't let them do one for Immodium A-D next. Please.

The Librarian

The Librarian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:24 AM

The VW "fast" commercials of course. The horrible mask-thing, the humming, the demonic voice, the way that one guy who get pulled over keeps twitching. . . . I miss them. Cpmmercial watching isnt't the same without knowing you might have to change the channel quickly at a moment's notice.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:29 AM

There's an ad where a guy comes home to find his dummy waiting for him, and then the dummy sits up and starts talking to him. Gah! I don't even know what it's for, as I make sure to change the channel ASAP.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:31 AM

My current one is the latest horror movie ad ($1 says it's a remake of a foreign film--am I right?) with the little girl with the deformed face.

Jenee

Jenee

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

The Pepto-Bismol diarrhea conga line. My stomach churns every time I see it.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

That's another one I literally cannot watch. I actually have to turn the channel or physically turn my head and mute the TV. I'm just so embarrassed for everybody involved.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:36 AM

The BK guy sneaking up on the construction worker. That's the scariest of the bunch.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:40 AM

You actually feel badly for the construction worker. The King isn't friendly, he's apparently homicidal. I hope the worker was wearing his safety harness.

etain

etain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:40 AM

My current one is the latest horror movie ad ($1 says it's a remake of a foreign film--am I right?) with the little girl with the deformed face.

Actually that's a remake of The Hills Have Eyes, an early slasher from Wes Craven.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:47 AM

Aw, phooey. I guess I only win $0.50 then...from myself. The other $0.50 will be donated in etain's name to the tip jar the next time I get a latte.

Edited by dcalley, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:48 AM.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:19 AM

The Dulcolax "Comfy Chair" ad. If I'm going to get "comfy" with a laxative, I head to the bathroom. This ad earns extra stomach-churning points if it's aired during dinner time. Another reason to click off the tube!

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

+10 points for the Tales of Interest title reference!

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:28 AM

That woman really really likes her easy chair. Also cringeworthy is the one where people are tossing her around on a blanket and she's all "Wheee! I'm regular!" Lady, pooping is not a team sport.

chunkyrice13

chunkyrice13

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:34 PM

Hooray! I'm collecting GlarkPoints.

Anything digestive should not be allowed in commercials. The pepto bismal one with the little dance is both annoying and gross, especially the latest one which appears to be at the ickiest ballet recital ever.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:59 PM

New ickiness from a horror movie ad: if you hear Air Supply, turn the channel. The movie looks like it might be semi-humorous (Nathan Fillion and Jenna Fischer seem to be in it), but the ad itself mostly features live action Mucinex creatures. Making out. To Air Supply.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:04 PM

There was a Ross ad that used to air a few months ago that featured this guy who purchased his clothes from Ross for some big dates he had with a couple of women. They show the first date one night and then the second date on another night. Then they show this same guy on a third "date", siting on a couch in his home, candles lit, a very romantic setting. Then, the voice-over says something to the effect of "And for that special evening in with [so-and-so]". The camera pans over and there is a dog sitting next to him. This guy is giving his dog the bedroom eyes and then it fades out. And then I become ill. Good call to use implied bestiality to sell your products, Ross. Fortunately, I don't think this ad runs anymore.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:10 PM

Good call to use implied bestiality to sell your products, Ross.

I don't know why, but that is cracking me up. Who thinks of this shit? And then who green-lights it?

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:12 PM

Some of those healing product ads, esp. the ones from Neosporin (I get the feeling I spelled that wrong), where they show up close, gruesome scars. That's just an example of the tons of ads for body function products that advertise. I swear that has something to do with all the gleeful gross-outs in our culture. I see I'm hardly alone in that feeling here. I don't care if one of those disgusting cartoon creatures is voiced by Will "GOB" Arnett, I hate 'em.

thinkcwik

thinkcwik

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:39 PM

Mibbitmaker, are you saying GOB is Digger or GOB is the mucus blob? Wow, I keep picturing Digger saying, " I get under your nails. With CLUB sauce!,"

The BK guy sneaking up on the construction worker. That's the scariest of the bunch.

VersesBatman, the King suddenly appearing in the backseat with a burger is the scariest IMO followed (very closely) by the King appearing in a guy's yard and one second later appearing IMMEDIATELY in the window holding a breakfast croissant. Eeep!

claritypixie

claritypixie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:18 PM

Total holy crap scarrage! I just saw a commercial for Juicy Fruit gum that featured a guy playing frisbee with a giant ant. As if that wasn't bad enough, when the guy pulls out a stick of gum the ant attacks him! It rips the door off his car when he tries to hide from it and ends up dragging him down a hole in the ground.

I not only don't want to see the commercial again, I think I might actually be scared to chew Juicy Fruit.

Bb

Bb

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:52 PM

I really hope you're making that up because that's beyond frightening. ANTS? Coming after GUM? Too bizarre.

ShunnedforLife

ShunnedforLife

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:57 PM

Two words: Ghost Car.

(No, DON'T google it)

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 7:19 PM

Just to add to "The Hills Have Eyes" remake ads, I saw one today that features Claire from "Lost" sleeping and being fondled by some deformed guy, only to wake up screaming. Consider pottie-mouth horrified.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:01 PM

I don't mind the "Hill Have Eyes" ads. But the Red Lobster "Lobster-fest" or whatever ads are killing me. I mean lobster's look a little like roaches without their heads! And that guy breaking the poor thing's claws and it bursting with juices?

No thanks. I don't like mercury anyway.

ETA: The ghost car ad NEVER gets old! It's so funny and cute and quirky and clever.

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:02 PM.

bobkatt13

bobkatt13

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

I still think that the first one was horrifying. What would you do if you woke up and the BK King was in bed with you. Then he tries to molest you. Man that commercial was horrible.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:43 PM

Is "Ghost Car" the ad that has the car driving on a winding road, and then towards the end of the commercial this...thing..pops up into the picture?

Because if so, I hate that ad. I'm easily frightened.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

Yep, that's the one. I don't what everyone's so freaked out about. It's nothing too scarworthy... Sissies. :P

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:05 PM.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:37 PM

Is "Ghost Car" the ad that has the car driving on a winding road, and then towards the end of the commercial this...thing..pops up into the picture?

Heh heh.. I showed that one to my old roommate and she screamed and ran out of the room. She said she had bad dreams about that thing for days. I've watched it several time but it still makes me jump.

And I hate every single fucking commercial with The King in it. Freaks me out.