Fast Food Joints

• Please log in to reply

2147 replies to this topic

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:20 AM

McDonald's, Wendy's, Sonic, DQ, etc.

Which commercials do you like? Which commercial makes you want to boycott a restaurant because it's just so wrong?

For instance: Ronald McDonald. If I saw that statue on a bench, arm all outstretched, I would call the police to make the creepy man leave the park.

I do like the DQ FlameThrower commercial, but DQ is another one of those restaurants that advertises here, but is not here.

Actinolite

Actinolite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:39 AM

Anybody else seen the new Burger King commercial with the "Big Buckin' Chicken"? I will probably tire of it soon, but for now, it truly appeals to my inner 12-year-old.

Algae

Algae

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:54 AM

I liked the Wendy's Dave Thomas commercials. I was really sorry when he died.

I want to hate the Ronald McDonald commercials, but I used to know a Ronald and he liked his job so much I just can't.

However, the King? Must die. I won't even go near a Burger King.

sonneta

sonneta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:54 AM

I love the new Long John Silver's commercial where the boss is screaming, and Worker A asks Worker B why. Worker B shows off the new LJS parmasean-flavored fish bites. Worker A tries one and says they are great- you don't even need tartar sauce. Then, worker A's eyes kind of widen as the camera pans up and you see that the whole warehouse is filled with Tartar Sauce.

I didn't explain it very well, but it cracks me up every time.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:03 AM

For instance: Ronald McDonald. If I saw that statue on a bench, arm all outstretched, I would call the police to make the creepy man leave the park.

You mean you've never seen one in person? It is truly amazing. And by "amazing," I mean incredibly disturbing and child-molestery.

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:18 AM

Those things are promininatly displayed at WalMarts which have a McBurgers in them. I think a friend took pictures of him molesting/getting molested by Ronald once.

C.

C.

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 1:41 PM

I really, really need to get a copy of some Nancy Sinatra, so I can get that damn Pizza Hut jingle out of my head.

And don't get me started on how much I need to not see that kid pop a boner over Jessica and her pizza.

Edited by C., Mar 10, 2006 @ 1:43 PM.

TraceyBee

TraceyBee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:27 PM

I liked the Wendy's Dave Thomas commercials. I was really sorry when he died.

Me, too.

The fast-food place I will never, ever set foot into, based completely on their commercials, is Quizno's. They had that ad where the woman takes a half-eaten sandwich out of a sidewalk garbage can and starts chowing down. They had the "raised by wolves" ad. And now they have Baby Bob.

I will never eat at Quizno's. Ever.

My78Chevette

My78Chevette

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

Anybody else seen the new Burger King commercial with the "Big Buckin' Chicken"?

I have. And I kid you not, the first two times I thought they said "big f---in' chicken." Which, if those were the real words, inappropriate for broadcast basic though they may be, would be quite funny.

Also, Arby's and their "New 100% all natural chicken"...what was their chicken made out of before?

BanjoSteve

BanjoSteve

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

I really, really need to get a copy of some Nancy Sinatra, so I can get that damn Pizza Hut jingle out of my head.

My problem with the whole cheesy bites campaign is that it seems wrong to have an anthropomorphic pig promoting a pepperoni (or sausage or canadian bacon) pizza. It just promotes cannabalism, and I don't want my kids exposed to that.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:54 PM

I thought the 'big buckin' chicken' ad was saying 'big bucket chicken' which is perhaps less obscene than 'big fuckin' chicken' but no more correct.

And the ad is strange and creepy and just plain disturbing. Not to mention I never remember that it's Burger King, so it's not even a good ad.

And I, too, have hated all the Quizno commercials, and didn't even think they made the food look good. Then my husband insisted on going into one for a French Dip sandwich and loved it so we're stuck with Quizno's. ::sigh::

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:16 PM

When Quiznos was airing those sponge monkey ads, I vowed never, ever to eat there. Those so-called monkeys looked like little, singing rats and I couldn't believe that they were associating those critters with food. Anyway, sad to say, they did start to grow on me shortly before the ads were nixed (I think it was the song) and I started eating at Quiznos. I guess it worked. Damn you, Quiznos!

Anyway, I love all the Jack-in-the-Box commercials. They crack me up. The one that made me laugh out loud every time was the one that was shown prior to the current one. It features this guy who pulls up to the drive-thru, obviously stoned and looking to stave off the middle of the night munchies. He can't decide what to order, so a little Jack appears on the dashboard of his van and suggests tacos. The guys asks how many should he order and Jack says "Thirty", to which the guy replies "That's what I was thinking!" It's all in the delivery. I don't care how many times I see it, it gets me every time.

krushsister

krushsister

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 7:56 PM

Oh, I LOVE Jack In The Box commercials. The one for that chipotle chicken (or whatever kind) sandwich a few years back has become a part of my familial lexicon. Whenever I'm about to head out for work and school, I'll say "chipotople" just like how Mr. Jack mispronounces at the end of the commercial and my mom will say back, "Just leave," just like how the market stand lady said it.

... but yeah, I too miss Dave Thomas's presence on those Wendy's commercials. I'll still stick with Wendy's because I like their food smorgasboard, but I'd prefer to not think of their more recent commercials when ordering. Actually, if Jack In The Box began offering side salads and baked potatoes in their restaurants, I'd be awfully tempted not to go back to Wendy's (but I'd start actively contributing to the Dave Thomas Foundation).

thinkcwik

thinkcwik

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:26 AM

I thought the 'big buckin' chicken' ad was saying 'big bucket chicken' which is perhaps less obscene than 'big fuckin' chicken' but no more correct.

I too heard 'big fuckin chicken'. That commercial bothers me because it looks like they've saddled up the Subservient Chicken.

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 2:45 AM

The fast-food place I will never, ever set foot into, based completely on their commercials, is Quizno's...now they have Baby Bob.

I will never eat at Quizno's. Ever.

You beat me to it, TraceyBee. While I don't recall whole pack-of-wolves ad, I won't set foot in their establishment until they kill Baby Bob. Hate!

friendperidot

friendperidot

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 8:33 PM

Toss up between this thread and commercials that make you laugh. Sonic's with the male/female couple, he makes a comment about knowing everything about bacon being encoded in his DNA. She tells him that she has things encoded on her DNA too, like something to tell her he's full of it.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

Damn you In and Out for not extending to the East Coast. My mouth is watering as I type.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 11:09 PM

Not sure if these just run in Canada or not, but A&W's new ad is laughable. It's not terribly bad, just very unrealistic. Maybe my hatred of this spot is fuelled by how stupid I think it is that they stereotypically name their burgers...Mamma Burger, Papa Burger (the biggest of the bunch), teen burger...

Anyway, the commercial features a young couple and the young man's parents dining at A&W. The folks order a Mamma and Papa burger and the kids order the teen burger. When they get to the table, the dad notices he got a Grandpa Burger. Cue sappy music. This is how they tell pops that he's gonna be a grandfather! Seriously, a fast food joint is where you want this moment to happen? Ugh.

glory85

glory85

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 12:53 AM

Also, Arby's and their "New 100% all natural chicken"...what was their chicken made out of before?

That's EXACTLY what I asked myself when I first saw that commercial. Good God, I know where I won't be eating ever in life.

I must say I love those Sonic commercials with the husband and wife. And the food looks good. Of course thefood is probably Heart Attack in a Bag but damn if I don't want one of those Sweetheart Brownie Blasts or those slushie thingies they always show. Too bad there are no Sonics where I live.

Edited by glory85, Mar 14, 2006 @ 12:54 AM.

jegrant

jegrant

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 2:15 AM

Discarded tissue from Joan Rivers' many operations. :D

(FWIW, I wondered the same thing. I'm also now wondering if:
A. There may be a specific fast food chain that Arby's is targeting - if so, I'd like to know which one so I can avoid ordering the chicken.
or B. All other fast food chains except Arby's use fake chicken - in which case, I have eaten a lot of it.)

xaevion

xaevion

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

While this also counts (for me) as most disturbing, it seems appropriate here as well. The latest McDonalds commercials? Awful.

They're for breakfast in general and coffee in particular, and the hook is that the coffee will really wake you up to your life or something. The worst one is this woman driving her children around in a minivan who takes a swig of the coffee, looks in the backseat, and "realizes" that she's a soccer mom. None of the children actually play soccer. The last bit where the newly-realized mom has a conversation with her children about whether they play soccer/hockey/do ballet is supposed to be funny, I suppose, but really the entire commercial is both immensely depressing and entirely infuriating. The whole thing smacks of neglect and abuse, and I just think the compaign is woefully misguided.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

I know Applebee's isn't a fast food joint (especially not the fast part) but what the hell.

I know that Gilligan's Island part of the commercial is annoying, but I have to say that the short haired guy playing the bass (?) is so damned hot. I don't even know why I find him hot, because he's so not my type. But rowr.

And I do love that the curly-haired guy ends up with a seagull on his head when they are still in the water. Makes me laugh every time.

Hippy Joe

Hippy Joe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 3:07 PM

I hate with the new Ruby Tuesday commercials with a passion. First, they show "chefs" in the kitchen...yeah, right guys, you have "chefs"...then they are cooking their burgers on an ice cold grill..they didn't even bother to add steam to the commercial...burgers look about as warm and appetizing as chewed up jerky dog treats. Stop pretending you care, people.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

Wow, they really put no effort into that, did they?

Same thing as McDonald's original nuggets: beaks 'n' assholes.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

I realized what I dislike the most about McDonald's "drink our coffee and find out you have a wife" commercial. It's the complete. monotone. of. the. voiceover.

Coffee is supposed to wake you up, but his voice puts me to sleep.

ashwini

ashwini

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 9:03 PM

The new Wendy's commercials bother me. I miss Dave Thomas, if only because when he was around, the ads didnt make it seem like every Wendy's is located next to a rave.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 9:20 PM

I like all Taco Bell commercials. I don't know why.

stellargirl

stellargirl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 9:34 PM

Damn you In and Out for not extending to the East Coast. My mouth is watering as I type.

Agh! You had to mention In and Out?????? I'm from CA, here in RI now. I get to have them twice a year when I go back and visit. I doubt they would expand. It took them forever to just expand to the San Diego area and Nevada!

How can you mention this guy and not mention the "king" from Burger King??? HE is CREEPY! When they show him looking into the window and you just see this huge head coming at you? Agh!

ConnieVandelay

ConnieVandelay

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 10:17 PM

I hate with the new Ruby Tuesday commercials with a passion.

And those burgers look like a heart attack waiting in the wings.

No Touching

No Touching

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 4:10 AM

I like all Taco Bell commercials. I don't know why.

I'm sorry that I can't get on board with you there. They used to be amusing in the '90s (before and after the era of the dog), but now they just grate. I hate the whole "good to go" slogan.