Commercials with People Who Should Just Go Away Now

• Please log in to reply

14931 replies to this topic

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

I saw that Hopper ad for the first time last night, janie jones and I had to mute it half way through. I'm just wondering why they couldn't find a more annoying way to promote what looks to be a multi-room DVR. It's not like they were the first to crack the technology...

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

It would make more sense if someone misspoke at the beginning of the commercial and everyone else was correcting that person, or maybe excitedly yelling it because they're so stoked to have it (it might still be as annoying as hell but at least it would make sense), but they're just yelling it for no apparent reason.

The other thing I failed to mention in my previous post is that because their accent isn't one I am that familiar with, I keep being unsure whether they're saying "hopper" or "harper." So I can't tell whether it's supposed to be some sort of play on their accent, since it's atypical to have people in a commercial with a non-"newscaster" accent. But then I don't understand why they want me to be unsure what their product is called. (I feel like a running theme in my posts about commercials I don't like is how they don't make any sense to me. Ad people, make commercials that make sense so people have one less thing to be mad about!)

Edited by janie jones, Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:54 AM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

That a-hole on the plane who is behaving like a little child because he has a headache. The polite stewardess offers him some Bayer aspirin, and he gets this pissy attitude, saying "I'm not having a heart attack, I have a headache." (Too bad about the heart attack, I say) Hey, jerk-off: aspirin has been curing headaches for over a hundred years. Bayer only jumped on that "helps when you have a heart attack" thing about two decades ago, only as a fringe benefit of using their product *as a pain reliever*.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

Bayer only jumped on that "helps when you have a heart attack" thing about two decades ago, only as a fringe benefit of using their product *as a pain reliever*.

And also, I suspect, so they could continue to market their 81mg formula, since giving aspirin to children is no longer recommended(due to the risk of Reye's syndrome).

Edited by smittykins, Mar 24, 2012 @ 6:28 AM.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Someone told me there's a unspoken law in the frozen tundra where if you endanger your group's safety, they will strand your ass and leave you behind to freeze to death and no one will ask about it, which is exactly what I see them doing to that asshole.

Works for me. If only we'd seen THAT in the commercial...

InDueTime84

InDueTime84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I just saw the Hopper ad for the first time and got sick of it halfway through.

I've been fine with all of the recent Swiffer ads except one. The mom finishes cleaning, so she finally has time to read the book she wants. While she's reading, the daughter blurts out the ending while the mom's still reading the book. The mom gives up on the book. How rude. Who does that? If she's still reading it, then clearly she HASN'T READ THE ENDING YET.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I'm icked out by the daughter in the Honda commercial where her dad, a Honda salesman, is wearing a gigantic blue Honda shirt. The daughter's stick-straight, greasy-looking hair hangs down over one eye while she sits at the counter eating cereal and being sullenly critical of the shirt.

I love my Honda, but I hate Honda commercials.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

If she's still reading it, then clearly she HASN'T READ THE ENDING YET.

Or the daughter figured that since her mother already owned the book and it wasn't a recent purchase, she was re-reading the book.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

There is a Honda commercial where a couple are shopping for a new car, and they start talking to each other in Chinese. When they decide that they're ready to deal, the salesman replies to them in Chinese as well. I wish they would all go away. Not only is the talking in Chinese to keep secrets from the salesman rude, but when the salesman replies to them in Chinese, he hovers waiting to get a reaction from them, as if, "See, I'm smart, aren't I?"

Another thing that bugs me about the ad is that the couple decide to drive a hard bargain, and the husband asks the salesman, in English, "What sorts of deals do you have going on?" And he says, "We have a lot of deals." And apparently that's good enough to seal the deal, he doesn't even bother to get details such as how much the damn car is going to cost.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

My two current hates: 1) The Ford truck commercials with Dennis Leary calling us "pal" and "baby." If I were in the market for a truck, I wouldn't buy a Ford just on principle. 2) The Target "Alouette" ad. Their obnoxious singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Get back in your balloon and go far away.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Oh, is Denis Leary still doing those ads? I don't know how I feel about that.

I used to like the Alouette ad, but it has overstayed its welcome for me.

There is a Honda commercial where a couple are shopping for a new car, and they start talking to each other in Chinese. When they decide that they're ready to deal, the salesman replies to them in Chinese as well. I wish they would all go away. Not only is the talking in Chinese to keep secrets from the salesman rude, but when the salesman replies to them in Chinese, he hovers waiting to get a reaction from them, as if, "See, I'm smart, aren't I?"

It doesn't bother me that they're speaking in Chinese, since couples buying cars probably often have private conversations away from the salesperson, and speaking Chinese is probably easier than being all, "Can you go away for a minute?" What bothers me is that he responds to them in Chinese. First of all, it's show-offy, and secondly, he might as well have announced, "I was listening in on your private conversation." If it had been intended for his ears, it would have been in English.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I think if they wanted to have a private conversation, they should have gone somewhere private, not stayed standing right next to him and just assumed he couldn't understand Chinese. Granted, the odds were in their favor, but they're the ones who took the chance so I don't have any sympathy for them. I'm not sure why he felt the need to answer them in Chinese; perhaps just to have a bit of fun bursting their bubble.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

The Gevalia commercial where the guy “Johann” tells the women she could have a “young eager assistant who looks like me”. Dude, get over yourself; you’re not all that.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I used to like the Alouette ad, but it has overstayed its welcome for me.

I like the visuals but wonder why they chose that song. I feel bad for the lark every time I see the ad.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I was going to post the same thing akg. I kept wondering, "do they know what the song is about?"

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

The Folgers commercial where the lady goes to Zumba class or samba or whatever. If you follow drinking coffee with any type of activity that requires lots of bouncing and jiggling, you'll bounce and jiggle your bowels right into a frenzy.
At least, um, that's what I *heard*.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I kept wondering, "do they know what the song is about?"

Until now, I had no idea what it was about!

ETA:
Now that the song is going around in my head...years ago, wasn't there a commercial for Chef Boyardee ravioli sung to the tune of Alouette?

Edited by moose135, Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:12 PM.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

The Folgers commercial where the lady goes to Zumba class or samba or whatever. If you follow drinking coffee with any type of activity that requires lots of bouncing and jiggling, you'll bounce and jiggle your bowels right into a frenzy.

Ugh! That commercial makes my stomach ache!

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Janie Jones I believe the people in the Hopper ad are supposed to be from Boston.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

For the love of God, the invading army of colorfully dressed French people MUST BE STOPPED. Seriously, I see that ad so often I fly into a rage every time it starts. I'm not even anti-French or anything, but there is something oddly disturbing about the way that singer is singing Alouette, gentille Alouette especially at the end when he goes Et la tête, et la tête, Alouette, Alouette, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Argh!

I'd like to put tape over the mouth of that kid in Honda ad that keeps hassling the salesman asking, "What's this?" What's that?" He needs to leave, and his parents who don't tell him to stop.

I want to smack that kid too, but - I am reminded that I have friends who have a really devious way of buying a car. They pick out the one they want, then show up five minutes before closing and purposely set their three rugrats loose to wreak havoc in the showroom, honking horns, running apeshit, etc., and don't lift a finger to stop them. Eventually the dealership gives them whatever they want just to get them the hell out of there.

So I pretend the parents have deliberately coached their child to be as annoying as possible so the car dealer will agree to whatever price they're asking just to get rid of them and their annoying brat.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I would like all of the Dish ads that show the supposed "perils" of cable to STFU and exit stage bandpit. Apparently, as a cable user, instead of reading a book or TWOP if something untoward happens, I will A) influence small children into a Fight Club-lifestyle as well as a "bad" leather/biker lifestyle that will envelope my grandchildren, B)let myself go, hygienewise, for so long I will grow facial hair and gather small animals of various types to live in my house like a bad ep of Animal Cops,C) get uplifted, chance everything and lose in Las Vegas, then sell my hair in the worst shearing this side of a novice sheep-shearer, and D)imo, the most heinous, is ending up "trapped" with Charlie Sheen reenacting Platoon.

WTF are these idiots smoking that anyone thought these would be funny after the 3rd showing? Charlie Sheen is not "hip" or "cool", no matter what his PR folks want us to believe. He also hasn't been funny recently. Dish, who wants my business, is telling me that I am so idiotic that if the cable goes out once, these things will/could happen to me(which is funny as I'm female and most of the scenarios are aimed at guys). What's gonna happen when a storm disrupts the signal to my dish?

eta: Thank you to Bastet,Esq. for the catch. In my area, the ads play so much on several networks, my tolerance for them has correspondingly shrunk. They are funny- in moderation, except the Sheen one, but YMMV depending on your tolerance of Charlie.

Edited by Actionmage, Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:06 AM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I think they're for DirecTV rather than Dish, and - with the exception of the one with Charlie Sheen, which I have not seen - I enjoy them for being simultaneously so deadpan and over-the-top. Although, I have not seen them very often, so perhaps they will wear on me in repetition.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:07 PM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Janie Jones I believe the people in the Hopper ad are supposed to be from Boston.

I know. I was just wondering if there was a reason they decided to give the people in the ad Boston accents, rather than a generic could-be-from-anywhere one.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I haven't seen the one-razor world traveler, but as far as the Free Credit Score "21st centurEE global NOmad" goes, for someone to whom "home is an airport lounge and an iPad," he sure picks up a lot of crap on his travels to store in..the airport lounge? C'mon, really, an alpenhorn?

Much as I hate to admit it, I FLOVE that commercial. Not much of a traveler myself, but the idea of a young, single guy globe-hopping and having a ball, kinda cool, you know?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:05 AM

You all know how much I hate Moes, the $5 burrito place where they yell at you, but the new ads with the customer having his burrito made to crappy hip-hop music can go away yesterday. I hate the customer bopping and flashing gang symbols while the dork behind the counter turns his cap sideways and does a lame head-bob.

wordnerd

wordnerd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

Debbie Boone can take her facelifted face off my tv screen, thank you very much. Not only are they wearing the soft-focus lens out on her, I hate the way she's singing in the beginning: "Ohhhh yooouuu--eeee---uuuu light up my life..."

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

That's the curse of the "One Hit Wonder"--every time they try to do something, that song has to be played so 99% of us will know who he/she is. And yes, they must have borrowed the lens off Baba Wawa's personal camera over at The View.

I'm getting all stabby over this guy on an XFinity commercial blathering on about how he got a land-line phone in his house and suddenly can't stop talking on the phone like some twelve year-old girl. Turns out he's talking to some pizza delivery guy, who is as non-impressed as we are. The only advantage to having a land-line phone is the chance of it having a really sturdy cord with which to strangle him until he squeals "like a twelve year-old girl".

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

But that isn't "You Light Up My Life", it's a close approximation in order to avoid copyright.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

I keep wondering why she's singing a song about her relationship with God/Jesus while shilling plastic surgery.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

My hatred for the woman calling Progresso to brag about being able to fit into her old jeans knows no bounds. Sensible cook on the other end doesn't give a flying fuck about her jean size, so she asks to talk to a woman.

Look. I am a woman. If some vapid twit called me at work to blather on about losing weight and omg!ifitintotheseskinnyjeans!!!!11!!! I would, on a good day, give her a silent WTF? like the Progresso cook. On a bad day, I'd make it a not-so-silent WTF? and hang up on her. Just because we share the same gender does not mean I care. Way to live in the 21st century, Progresso!

So. Much. Hate.