Joey Tribbiani: Hey, How's He Doin'?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I think a lot of us wished when Matt won his Golden Globe for "Episodes" the first thing he said in his acceptance speech was "How YOU doin?"

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

There was an awkward moment in a backstage interview where a reporter asked him to say it. He did, but he didn't seem thrilled with being asked.

VyrginiaW

VyrginiaW

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

He really is so type-cast as Joey I imagine as an actor he is desperately trying to escape that roll.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Well, that and the fact that he wound up in so many crappy movies, such as Lost In Space.

vexer6

vexer6

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

Heh, I actually liked Lost In Space, "Ed" on the other hand i'm sure everyone would prefer to forget.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

I wish they had let Matt LeBlanc have his naturally gray hair--towards the end of Friends. I guess they made him dye it and knowing that now, you can totally tell towards the end that he dyed it. He looks so hot now with his salt and pepper hair. He can give George Clooney a run for his money. I bet they could have gotten some good story lines out of that....of course that would have meant having Joey act like a grown up and not have dumb story lines like him learning French or having a hand twin. Instead they could have had some more mature Joey stories....hmmmm...but yeah, Matt LeBlanc looks awesome and I loved that he won a Golden Globe. I especially loved his joke about how a Friends reunion would be great because he could use the money and now the media is totally running with that.

Am I the only one who imagined a moment after that comment with the other five calling to congratulate him but at the same time mocking him for starting up the Friends Reunion Movie rumors again?

Although, on Entertainment Tonight, he alluded to the fact that there might be a possibility of the Friends being on Episodes? I know I'm probably in the minority, but I would so much rather have a Friends reunion on either Matt LeBlanc's Episodes or Lisa Kudrow's Web Therapy then having any of them be in a Friends movie. I doubt he or David Schwimmer or Matthew Perry will be on Cougar Town though....

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Matt does look good these days and I can't decide if I like him better during Friends or post Friends. He looks good either way, though. I'm also glad that they at least kept the good parts of his character consistent. No matter how dumb he actually got, he remained the most loyal Friend throughout the series, even beating Chandler at times. He really did know the right things to say and the right things to do that made him truly a great guy. Although he got dumber as the series grew on, he also became less of a womanizer, which I appreciated greatly. I know it's the minority, but I loved the Rachel/Joey season 8 subplot. I found that Matt LeBlanc's acting was superb and I've never really seen a great story arc in a sitcom where a guy falls for his best friend even with no noticeable hints toward it previously. Matt did pull it off though and although I have some complaints about the 2.0 version in season 9, I really did hope for a time that Rachel and Joey would just get together and leave Ross in the dust.

As for a Friends reunion, I really wouldn't mind a Friends movie, only because I wanna know what's going on with the gang now. Chandler and Monica's children would be 7 or 8, Emma would be 9, Ben would be even older and there are so many questions I wanna know. Like, does Joey finally settle down with someone? Where do Phoebe and Mike live now? Does Chandler still work in New York? What's going on with Ross and Rachel? I know, I'm just naturally curious. I don't know if I could actually see any of them on Episodes, though. Maybe David Schwimmer, and quite possibly Lisa Kudrow, but I don't know if I can see Matthew, Jennifer or Courtney.

I expect Matt Perry to guest star in Cougar Town out of all the guys, though. Matt LeBlanc would be a close second.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

I agree....Joey really was the most loyal. I love Chandler. He's my favorite, but I definitely think there were quite a few times where Joey was a far better friend to Chandler than Chandler was to Joey. Chandler screwed Joey over a few times....although, they did have the original bromance!

I would much rather see them on each others shows....I mean, I don't know what they could do in a movie. It all wrapped up so nicely! I don't think Matthew Perry will ever be on Cougar Town. I think I read somewhere that Courteney Cox asked him to play her character's boyfriend and he turned it down because he thought it would be too odd and I kind of agree with him. I would love for them to be on Episodes. It could work.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I know! I still get mad whenever I think of the episode where Joey takes the blame for stuff when Monica and Chandler were in their secret romance. No matter how great Joey's revenge was (sleeping with Monica was a really great a quick thought out lie), I still can't stand how they made him cover for them. ('I'm Joey, I'm disgusting'). I just couldn't stand either Monica or Chandler in that case. And that took a lot for Joey not to say anything, even when Rachel was thinking that he was a pervert.

It did wrap up nicely, I guess. I'm just someone that wants some sort of Friends reunion so I thought a movie would get them all the chance to work together one last time and we'd get to see Monica and Chandler being parents, Joey actually settling down (I have not seen the spinoff, though) and Rachel and Ross' way of working out their dysfunctional relationship.

Matt as Courtney's boyfriend on Cougar Town? It would have been weird and I'm sure people would have been calling them Monica and Chandler, but I'd love for him to at least guest star as maybe even Laurie's boyfriend. I guess I can just see him guest starring on that kind of show, while I expect someone more like David or Lisa to show up on Episodes. But still, I'm just that kind of person that wants to see the actors get the chance to work together again.

manbearwig

manbearwig

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Although he got dumber as the series grew on, he also became less of a womanizer, which I appreciated greatly. I know it's the minority, but I loved the Rachel/Joey season 8 subplot. I found that Matt LeBlanc's acting was superb and I've never really seen a great story arc in a sitcom where a guy falls for his best friend even with no noticeable hints toward it previously. Matt did pull it off though and although I have some complaints about the 2.0 version in season 9, I really did hope for a time that Rachel and Joey would just get together and leave Ross in the dust.

Well said! I mostly agree, I think the retread had more problems in Season 10 than it did in 9 because I hate how Ross' feelings overshadowed Rachel/Joey's happiness and finally getting together. Then they broke up right after Ross gave his blessing, which was sso disappointing to me.

I wouldn't have wanted Ross to be left in the dust.... most of the time. I still think he should have ended up with Charlie.

I loathe the idea of a Friends reunion but I wouldn't mind seeing a 'reunion' on Episodes. I don't watch that show but I would tune in if at least one other cast member guest-starred, and if they were really exaggerated versions of themselves.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Here's the thing....after watching him on Episodes, I think shows like Friends and even Vinny and Bobby--Now, there's a classic--really did him a disservice. He's actually really, really good....and he mentions Friends on Episodes. He makes fun of it. I think the other five would do great on Episodes. There was an episode where Matt LeBlanc has to be picked up from a bar after getting wasted and the British couple asks if he has any friends and my first thought was why didn't Matthew Perry pick him up....but I think that would have been in poor taste. Like when Ricky Gervais offered Matthew Perry a beer at last years Golden Globes....

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

Haha, I can see the episode of Episodes (LOL): It's about a Friends' reunion and he finally decides to get back together with all of them. He brings them to his house while Sean and Beverly are there and they meet the exaggerated versions of them all. I can see them making Matt Perry into a complete jokester but having Beverly thinking he's a dufus and I can imagine Lisa swearing left and right while making Jennifer this total snobby celebrity. Oh boy, this is fun to think about.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Isn't it fun?! I could totally see them just making Matthew Perry into this wisecracking guy and then Lisa...in real life, Lisa Kudrow is actually really smart. I've met her a couple of times because we have a mutual friend. I could see her cussing and just saying really smart things and Beverly and Sean are just dumbfounded....and then well, Jennifer Aniston, maybe if she made fun of the tabloid version of herself. She's not lonely!

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Haha, make Jennifer into this totally insane celeb and have David as...hmm, thinking of exaggerated versions of David and Courteney is a bit harder. But I'm finally seeing all of them on Episodes and it would be fantastic and fun for all of them. They all basically have to be themselves, but with more exaggeration. I'm sure some of this show is improv and I know Lisa's web series is completely improv so it shouldn't be that hard for any of them to improv their own stuff.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

Yesterday the deejay on a local radio station was talking about the newest bra for women. It's called the "Joey Bra". Now, it's really named after a kangaroo baby, because it's got side pockets (rme), but of course my first thought was: "A 'Joey Bra'? All you have to do is LOOK at it, and it pops open!"

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

I love Joey. He's my favorite. I think what really sold me was watching the bloopers on youtube and you can tell that he's naturally an extremely funny low key guy. Love it.

His timing on the "what are you gonna do," when Ben doesn't get the part in the commercial. Kills me.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

From way back in the thread:

Of all the ways Joey changed over the years, one of the things I came to miss most was his habit of cooking to relieve stress. ... Joey grew up in a large family, so it makes perfect sense that he'd have picked up some basic cooking and cleaning skills.

In the most recent episode of Episodes, the Matt LeBlanc character cooks for a date and says he learned to cook as a kid because his mom worked. I wonder if the real LeBlanc enjoys cooking.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Of all the ways Joey changed over the years, one of the things I came to miss most was his habit of cooking to relieve stress.

His cooking led to one of my favorite Chandler quotes: "I'm guessing you didn't get the part, or Italy called and said it was hungry."

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

After the TOW Joey Moves Out thread, I think I now know what is ultimately my main problem with Joey as a character: The show never calls him out on being a complete screw-up. Instead, it rewards him for it. Whenever he stupidly bombs an audition or sabotages an important stepping stone in his adult life, he's rewarded with coddling from the other five Friends and is allowed to continue messing up in life without any real consequences. Thus, it's impossible to really root for him as a character, since any chance of him growing or developing is inevitably sabotaged by the need to remind us that it's perfectly okay for him to be a failure (which it isn't).

Edited by MartyD82, Jul 23, 2013 @ 1:33 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 9:48 PM

Personally, I hate his inconsistency. One minutes he's just book dumb, then it's hard to tell how he manages to survive every day. Sometimes he's a terrible actor, others he's really good. That at least I could buy since there's different genres and he could eb better at some than others but he gets it for the same things.