Meet Market: The Center Chamber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1922 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 6:03 PM

Talky! (sorry for the lame thread title, I know nothing of this show you call Farscape)

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 11:17 PM

Woooo-hooooo! Our very own shiny forum! Much thanks Glark!

To be honest, I have no idea what the frell to call it either? Humans are Superior?

Also, thanks for the recap Jacob.

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 9, 2006 @ 11:18 PM.

Indy535

Indy535

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 11:48 PM

Yay! A Farscape recap and a new forum? This just makes my day so much better! Such a great recap Jacob! I loved all of the great insight you had and it made me want to go back and watch "A Human Reaction" with a whole new perspective!

Edited by Indy535, Mar 9, 2006 @ 11:48 PM.

Azurekite

Azurekite

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 7:49 AM

Thanks Glark and Jacob!

SheNut

SheNut

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:19 AM

Best Recap Ever...i loved it, made me remember what it was like to watch the show the first time through ;)

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:50 AM

Great recap, Jacob!

Totally different from the last one which I also loved. The last one was humorous and fun and this one was... darker and more introspective. I'm sure that was dictated by the episodes themselves, so I'm not saying one approach is better than the other, but that each recapper picked a perfect approach for the episode they recapped. Perfect.

Jacob had some different takes on things than I had heard before and I was fascinated reading them. I'll have to read the recap again to be more specific, but I do remember the fascinating use of the other characters to represent parts of John and how they were stripped away from him. Very interesting and insightful. I was thinking about it again this morning. "Chiana is his youth." -- and to some degree, his innocence. Of course, innocence is a trait of youth, but it's interesting that someone that has had to do what Chiana has to survive is a symbol of innocence. And, yet, I think it's true. There is something quite innocent about Chiana despite what she has been through and how tough she appears to be on the outside.

I also like how Jacob brought out the love Zhaan has for Crichton. It's something many people overlook because it's not a passionate, physical, heated thing. It's deep and spiritual. It's not a hunger, it's a fulfillment.

Soooo, Jacob's favorite scene is the rain? Yep, it is for a lot of people. LOL that Jacob brought out that Aeryn in the dress is sort of drag-queenish. I never liked that dress on her.

That's all I can do from memory, I'll reread to make more comments. Oh, and that was by memory from yesterday, so if I misrepresented Jacob's comments, my apologies.

Thank you, Jacob!

- - buy three recaps and you get your own forum??? Cool.
Thanks, Glark!

eta: I just read the closed thread about the recap. Does that mean we are to start a new thread for each episode? And then character threads? I've never been to meet market threads in other areas of the forum, but I thought that was for personal talk and we've kind of morphed this one into the general FarScape thread that the last one was. I could just wait to see how this is all going to work out, but if anyone wants to explain...
[And it's not that I haven't visited other areas of the forum to see how things work, but it's unusual for a cancelled show to go this route.]

Oooooo, I just remembered something else from Jacob's recap that I wanted to discuss...
When Jack goes into John's cell-tube and says the wrong fish, "It was a trout, Dad", I got the impression that Jacob thought Jack remembered wrong. I thought the accepted interpretion was that Jack said it wrong on purpose to test John. If it was the real John, he would correct his father; a fake might not know. I still think that's the interpretation I agree with, but Jacob's was quite interesting. I'm sure Jack has left many scars on his son's heart and it's easy to believe this could be another, but... I'm interested, but not sure. Thoughts?

Edited by ChillinTheMost, Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:07 AM.

Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

Couch Potato

• Interests:Farscape.<br /><br />And chocolate.<br /><br />Not necessarily together.<br /><br />Or in that order.

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:05 AM

Wow! A shiny, new subforum. Credit for this has to go to the longtime and devoted posters (not me by the way) that kept Farscape alive here at TWoP.

And Glark, of couse.

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:04 AM

Yeah. Just look at the Buffy or Angel area for what you can do here. You can start episode specific threads and/or season discussion threads plus characters threads, fav quotes, etc etc. The Meet Market thread is really just for shooting the shit, if you have actually show discussion to deal with you should find or make a thread for it.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:09 AM

Ahhhhh. Thanks, Glark. I'll check out those forums so that I make sure I understand!

[I would have edited my previous post to include this, but I've edited it 4 times already...]

I'm back, editing fool that I am...

Season threads! I like that. When we start them, I nominate names like
Season 2: Season of Death
Season 3: Season of John's Butt [that was season 3, right?]
or something like that. I think I remember someone had titles for all seasons...

Hmmm, I wonder if we should copy&paste Jacob's recap into the John Crichton character thread? Just kidding, but he had some pretty wonderful stuff.

Where is everyone? Shiny new playground and I'm the only one wearing away the grass under the swings...

Edited by ChillinTheMost, Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:16 AM.

Belchimaera

Belchimaera

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:19 AM

I think it was Season 3: Season of Death and Season 4: Season of John's Butt (or it also could be Season 4: Season of Bodily Excretions).

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:36 AM

Oooooo, I just remembered something else from Jacob's recap that I wanted to discuss...
When Jack goes into John's cell-tube and says the wrong fish, "It was a trout, Dad", I got the impression that Jacob thought Jack remembered wrong. I thought the accepted interpretion was that Jack said it wrong on purpose to test John. If it was the real John, he would correct his father; a fake might not know. I still think that's the interpretation I agree with, but Jacob's was quite interesting. I'm sure Jack has left many scars on his son's heart and it's easy to believe this could be another, but... I'm interested, but not sure. Thoughts?

That was my initial interpretation also - that Jack was still testing John. But it works the other way as well - at the same time even - becauase at that point John believes Jack is the real deal; that he is talking to his real father. And the truth is that in John's reality Jack would still make a mistake over something as hurtful as that.

Was it a bass? Or was it a trout?

I can really get behind Jacob's interpretation - since the real Jack and John have such a painful, tumultuous relationship - and that is exactly how John expects Jack to behave.

(Not to mention that it really adds a level of angst to the initial meeting in Kansas/Terra Firma when John and the real Jack finally meet again... and Jack doesn't answer ... )

BigBeagle

BigBeagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:38 AM

Scapers have their own forum now! As Crichton would say, "This is one of the good days."

ETA: I, too, always thought the "bass vs. trout" exchange was Jack's way of testing John. But Jacob's interpretation works for me, as well.

Edited by BigBeagle, Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:50 AM.

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

• Interests:SF, the paranormal, Bollywood, the outdoors and healthy living

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:45 AM

It's weird, going from moderated to free speech. But SQUEEEEEE!!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:51 AM

Season 4 should be the Season of Crichton's Ass.

Selannia

Selannia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

Dude, every season is the Season of Death.

Thanks to Jacob for the superb recap and thanks to Glark for the expanded threads.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:54 AM

Cool, room for season threads. Most excellent.

Thanks Glark!

BostonTony

BostonTony

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:09 AM

Yes, my recollection is the same as cutecouple's: it was "Season of Chrichton's Ass" (in the banner ads we did a coupla years ago) rather than "Season of John's Butt." Small distinction, perhaps, but that's it.

So we have several administrative things to be decided here, methinks. Should we create a topic just for that, or can we discuss that here? I don't think any of us want topics to run amok here just because they can, but neither should we be discussing everything that doesn't seem to fit elsewhere in our meet market, I don't think (although I am doing that right now, it seems).

Glark or other execs, is some one moderator officially the boss of us here, now that we're above the fold, or does that organization apply only to recapped shows? Do we continue on in semi-anarchy (or perhaps "self-policing" is a less pejorative term) and decide this stuff ourselves, or should we be looking toward a leader to establish these policies for us? Among the stuff I think we need to decide are things like:
  • Do we number episodes in episode thread titles by the generally accepted "preferred" (read: DVD) order, or by their original air order, or production numbers, or ... what? Or do we avoid the whole issue by just having season threads and not episode threads?
  • What's our spoiler policy now that we have subthreads? Should we require spoilerizing "future" events in episode threads, but consider everything fair game elsewhere? That seems an appropriate policy to me, but I'm just me.
  • and what do we call our Meet Market?
Thanks for making us all legit and stuff, Glark. Please forgive the initial confusion; I've spent time in recapped show forums and in one-thread-only show forums, but I, like (I suspect) many of us, are unfamiliar with how things are supposed to work in this middleground where we now reside.

Edited by BostonTony, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:15 AM.

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

All the site rules apply here (and everywhere) but if there's some 'true' episode numbering everyone generally agrees on then follow your bliss. You can do season threads, episodes threads or both.

This is pretty much exactly like a 'current recapped show' forum.

Firecracker1

Firecracker1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:22 AM

My vote is for the DVD order - because production order really frells up the Look at the Princess Trilogy.

JMHO. :D

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

Also, can someone in the know start a episode thread for the one that was just recapped? I think people are scared. :)

Queen Gwenyvere

Queen Gwenyvere

Couch Potato

• Interests:BSG, Farscape, Doctor Who, Buffy, Mythbusters, reading, writing, Claudia Black, my new apartment

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:53 AM

Just popping in to say hi and give a huzzah to the brass as TWoP for creating a subforum especially for Farscape :)

Props again to Jacob for recapping and thanks Glark for the board :)

Yay for more places to spread the Farscape lurve! :)

Editted because proper spelling/typing is everyone's friend.

Edited by Queen Gwenyvere, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:54 AM.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:12 AM

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks, Glark! And thank you to Jacob for the amazing recap. I read it twice yesterday morning, then watched AHR, then read the recap again. Wonderful insights, and I saw things in the episode that I'd never seen before, thanks to you.

Adding my vote for "Season of Crichton's Ass" for season 4. For season 1, maybe "That's really big"? Just a thought...

Shroom

Shroom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 11:39 AM

Ooh, we get our own brand-spankin' new forum now? Awesome! Between the new recap and the new forums, I'm inspired to come back out of lurkerdom and say: Woo-frelling-hoo!

Thanks to Glark for the forum and thanks to Jacob for the recap (it made my head hurt, but in a good way!).

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

My thanks to you fine gentlemen as well! It's so wonderfully strange to have separate topics to choose from when reading and posting about Farscape. I feel downright spoiled!

Posted too quickly - I also wanted to say Jacob makes my brain hurt, but in the best way. Between this and the Battlestar Galactica recaps I feel like I'm learning while being entertained. Excellent work, Jacob, on all fronts!

Edited by Dea, Mar 10, 2006 @ 1:24 PM.

drgnfille

drgnfille

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:20 PM

With only a single thread, it would be terrible for all you guys to have to spoiler-protect everything you say in conversation, especially for a show that's already aired all its episodes. I say talk freely and let the chips fall where they may. ~ me, drgnfille, tackily quoting myself.

Wow, only my second post on this forum, and voila! An expanded thread! *lol* Let me try again: "I wish I had a million dollars." Heh.

So is the Meet Market a good place to post updates on this newbie's reaction? I'll wait until the threads have time to settle 'n' solidify, lest I post in the wrong thread.

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:35 PM

I went and started a newbie thread--I hope that's an ok solution?

And ditto on the thank yous for our new digs! Wheeeee!

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:46 PM

Ooooh, a purty forum for my beloved Farscape. Sweet!

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:47 PM

I wonder if we should change the name of the Meet Market to "The Center Chamber".
Or something to reflect where the gang usually gathered on Moya.

--if it's even possible to change it.

haha. If we sold things, we could call that thread The Commerce Planet.

I'm easily amused.

AnnieF

AnnieF

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Ooh, Center Chamber! I like it! I'm sure if we ask Glark, he'd change it -- I got the feeling that it was a provisional title anyway. If we let him get some sleep and ask in a day or two, I bet it wouldn't be a problem. What does everyone think? Center Chamber has been nominated. Any other ideas for a Meet Market title?

Chillin, the Commerce Planet idea would be good for a merchandise thread!

kayaj2k

kayaj2k

Fanatic

• Interests:(tv-wise): Farscape, Veronica Mars, Dexter, the Whedonverse, Deadwood, Shameless, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Jeopardy, The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Masterpiece Theatre, Mad Men, The X-Files, The Wire, True Blood, Burn Notice, Lost, Glee.

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 4:05 PM

0ooh, I third both names, Commerce Planet and Centre Chamber.

For a shipper/ romance thread I'd like to nominate the slogan "Use your mind, lose your heart". Or something involving leather.